Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Mick isn't the singer and performer he used to be
Posted by: heavy throbber ()
Date: April 13, 2008 13:25

The greatest performer of all time is letting himself down with his guarded vocals and forced dance moves these days. Since (and including) his solo Oz and Japanese tours his looseness as a performer has generally disappeared and his lack of having a crack at difficult vocal lines is musically criminal.

His vocals were rough and ready thru the 70s and early 80s but very exciting.
As was his moving and shaking.

SAL cd proves this - at least vocally. Musically it's great overall. But how hard is it to sing SWH correctly? And what the hell is he doing with SG? Songs like ADTL and esp RO need to be shelved as Mick sings them as a complete woose.

He looks after his voice incredibly well and has to sings a poultry 100 mins every two to three days when on tour. His voice doesn't need so much babying. And if it does than he should find another job.

Re: Mick isn't the singer and performer he used to be
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 13, 2008 13:28

I hope I'm doing as well when I reach my mid-sixties.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: April 13, 2008 13:29

No boubt about it, your really throbbing there.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 13, 2008 14:00

Daltry? ha ha ha ha

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 13, 2008 14:07

Bowie is not performing - haven't done so for 4 years.
And McCartney....good singer? And Daltry...? LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-13 15:44 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 13, 2008 14:14

Issue or focus imho; (a little less) less dancin' = better singin'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-13 14:14 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: April 13, 2008 14:23

The Stones once wrote a marvel pop song : the singer, not the song. To write now : the song, not the singer, is simply silly.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 13, 2008 14:38

phd
The Stones once wrote a marvel pop song : the singer, not the song. To write now : the song, not the singer, is simply silly.

Well it's the singer AND the song to me. I wouldn't wanna hear Jagger doing Macca's Coming Up. And I didn't wanna hear Madonna doing Shine A Light.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 13, 2008 15:23

ht wrote: He looks after his voice incredibly well and has to sings a poultry

Is this a reference to the "cocks" line in Rough Justice?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-13 15:52 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: April 13, 2008 15:27

He was awesome on the three concerts I saw last year. Great voice and full of energy. Don't judge him on SAL alone, or any single thing for that matter.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: April 13, 2008 15:43

heavy throbber
Who's talking about how well he's doing at his age?

His singing is lifeless and movements too wooden these days. Put some goddamned soul into the songs Mick. You sound as convincing as a politician. His delivery and phrasing is not singing - it's just speaking the words with a tune.

I find it odd that his poor singing in particular doesn't bug some of you given what you know he's capable of. McCartney, Daltry and Bowie still slug it out vocally. Why can't he?

Daltry??? Daltry??? his voice is so completely shot now that it makes the Who pretty much unlistenalbe, your credibility is nil with that comment

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 13, 2008 15:54

heavy throbber
....to sings a poultry...

another funny post about how you expect a 65 yr old man
to perform the same way he did 30 & 40 yrs ago...as if
age (& 45 yrs of the rock & roll lifestyle) doesn't matter.

but what's with the POULTRY??

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 13, 2008 16:02

Hey heavy, You forgot something. Jagger hd to cancel the Atlantic City gig a few days before Beacon becasue of throat problems. He is still the best of all time!!

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: April 13, 2008 16:05

well , i was just watching another thread with Let Me Go from Philly 81 .
I like Mick's voice at these days than those days.
also i love mick's 70's voice more than these days.
so i think this is the list where mick has been doing it better or not.

1. 68,72,73,75,78
2. 62-67 ,69 , 70 , 71 ,
3. 81,82,80's , 1994-2008
4.69 , 70 , 71,76-( just sleeping)

Also , each year he hasnt been the one he used to be on the last tour before it.
in the 60's he danced very well , as people used to dance those times. in 68 he changed his way of singing and dancing at every aspect .
in 1972 he changed a bit more , he singed rough and hardly and he got crazy moves.
on 1981 he was another man , he looked a bit homo and his singing was not as hard as in the past years. on 1990 his voice changed to an older man's voice.
as the years passed he knows how to do his show , and he still does it well , hes being one of the best frontmen ever , so , tell me who tells a 64 year old rocknroll senior how to make a show , hes moving many millions of people , he's the boss , hell yeah!

Date: April 13, 2008 16:07

Those throat problems has been questioned, More Hot Roccks

Meanwhile, it's an silly thread, as Macca, Daltrey and a retired Bowie are used of examples of singers that "still got it".
And of course Mick Jagger can't sing exactly like he did 20 or 30 years ago. He's different...take it or leave it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-13 16:44 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 13, 2008 16:22

Listen to Jagger in 1975. Yelling, out of time, incoherent. terrible. In 78 and 81, just bland. He is better now than ever.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 13, 2008 16:24

for the most part i am happy about the way mick sings these days, but on some songs you can tell he is protecting himself, like SWAY and if you cant rock me and hand of fate and crazy mama, he does not sing those with nearly the power that he used to, and that ruins the song imho

Date: April 13, 2008 16:25

No, no, that's not correct, he was an excellent vocalist in 78 and 81 - and especially 75

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 13, 2008 16:26

Erik_Snow
Bowie is not performing - haven't done so for 4 years.
And McCartney....good singer? And Daltry...? LOL

Daltrey may not catch the high notes as impressive as before (his voice has changed due to age), but emotionally he can still deliver (an impressive example is "Tea & Theatre", the final track on the Amazing Journey DVD). So in this respect Daltrey is much less "forced" and stiff than Mick J. Mick on the other hand seems to have a much more "intact" voice and bursts with energy, but sometimes comes across as a performance "soldier" rather than as an emotionally moving performer. This is especially apparent with the ballads done live, naturally not so much with the rockers.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-13 16:30 by Greenblues.

Date: April 13, 2008 16:33

Greenblues, I didn't mean to bash Roger.

But these 3 singers mentioned; they don't exactly come shining through as examples of vocalists that are still at the peak of their game.

If you can criticize Jagger, then no Roger should be left unturned.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 13, 2008 16:37

More Hot Rocks
He is better now than ever.

I must respectfully disagree. Heavey throbber is right. The band ain't even what they were 10 years ago. Mick's cool singing style, for the most part, has been absent live since the '78 tour. When I heard ABB, I thought "Now it's evident in the studio". The strained voice I remember from B2B's Flip the Switch is all over ABB.

I listen to Mick first... perhaps a lot of people don't notice it. They either aren't listeninf to his voice, or don't know how to tell the difference. I'm not expert in ballet, for example. But Mick's voice... I guess people either a) aren't aware at all and can't tell the difference (ie, my own guitar player!), or b) are experiening some sort of mass fanboy myopic denial.

Having said all that - I still love the band, still love Mick, and would slap any non-fan talking piss about them with a dead fish.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: April 13, 2008 16:46

Daltrey, Bowie and Mccartney all sing better than Jagger these days, heavy throbber's right.

Date: April 13, 2008 16:47

Erik_Snow
Those throat problems has been questioned, More Hot Roccks

Meanwhile, it's an silly thread, as Macca, Daltry and a retired Bowie are used of examples of singers that "still got it".
And of course Mick Jagger can't sing exactly like he did 20 or 30 years ago. He's different...take it or leave it

At the Macca & Daltrey forums.....their disgruntled fans probably
use Jagger as an example of someone who's "still got it."

Are some fans really so naive about this.?...or do they actually
think Mick's singing and Keith's playing are spared from aging. ??

Even though they are in better shape than most senior citizens...they are mortal.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 13, 2008 16:48

Erik_Snow
Greenblues, I didn't mean to bash Roger.

(...)

If you can criticize Jagger, then no Roger should be left unturned.

Sure! No big deal, Erik, I just wanted to do Daltrey a little bit justice ;-) I think Heavy Throbber has a point with his post. But surely not up to the point where Mick's "losing it". Maybe Mick's rather professional approach, if I may say so, is just his way of dealing with the demand of filling stadiums for two years in a row. Me, I still have lots of fun listening to him on the SAL soundtrack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-13 16:55 by Greenblues.

Date: April 13, 2008 16:54

Edward Twining
Daltrey, Bowie and Mccartney all sing better than Jagger these days, heavy throbber's right.

i'm a fan of all 3 but....i just watched some recent Daltrey performances (in studio)
and his voice was shot. like chronic laryngitus. and it wasn't like
he'd been on the road etc..this was a scheduled recording session in a studio...
..so you'd think he'd be up to speed with a rested voice and all of his throat sprays etc...

re: McCartney....he's not belting out songs in the same fashion
as Jagger & Daltrey. McCartney's voice quality is weaker.

re: Bowie..haven't heard him lately. no opinion.

Date: April 13, 2008 16:58

heavy throbber
Don't go crying into your soup either those of you who feel Mick is being picked on. It's just an opinion and this is a public forum for discusssion. Disagree if you wish but don't get all crybaby about it.

Well we are discussing in case you didn't notice, I guess you just like to play the role of the offended one, judging by your immature and whining post above. After making less than 10 posts on IORR, you're allready the most tiresome poster here

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-13 17:13 by Erik_Snow.

Date: April 13, 2008 17:34

Erik_Snow
you're allready the most tiresome poster here

Should I hand him my trophy? grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: April 13, 2008 17:39

Erik and Kent best posts of the day! LOL!!!

Date: April 13, 2008 17:46

He he. winking smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 13, 2008 18:30

heavy throbber
The greatest performer of all time is letting himself down with his guarded vocals and forced dance moves these days. Since (and including) his solo Oz and Japanese tours his looseness as a performer has generally disappeared and his lack of having a crack at difficult vocal lines is musically criminal.

His vocals were rough and ready thru the 70s and early 80s but very exciting.
As was his moving and shaking.

SAL cd proves this - at least vocally. Musically it's great overall. But how hard is it to sing SWH correctly? And what the hell is he doing with SG? Songs like ADTL and esp RO need to be shelved as Mick sings them as a complete woose.

He looks after his voice incredibly well and has to sings a poultry 100 mins every two to three days when on tour. His voice doesn't need so much babying. And if it does than he should find another job.

I agree. However I think he can be great, I mean truly great, if he wants to.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home