Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bob Clearmountain in SAL production team , No Don Was
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: April 9, 2008 14:07

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-22 20:07 by UrbanSteel.

Re: Bob Clearmountain in SAL production team , No Don Was
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 9, 2008 14:44

My first impression of SAL was Charlie's slapping tin-can drumming gets back again.
I thought at first it was made thanks to SHM-CD format.
But now I find out why. I'd have to say Mr. Mix did it.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 9, 2008 14:57

Bob Clearmountain should produce the next Stones album. The Was Not Was Is Was TisWas formula has had its day and done its time.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 9, 2008 16:14

Seeing a production credit for Mr. Clearmountain was very welcome. He is very much a sound guy and the crispness he brought to the Miss You 12" single, TATTOO YOU, STILL LIFE, FLASHPOINT, several VOODOO LOUNGE single remixes, and STRIPPED is highly valued. Its not surprising to see Don Was unaccounted for, he also had no involvement with NO SECURITY so its hardly without precedent. Don's work with Dylan, Brian Wilson, and Bonnie Raitt made me expect a retro production style and that's what we got with VOODOO LOUNGE and STRIPPED, but he certainly showed he could be just as effective with modern styles on BRIDGES TO BABYLON and his work for FORTY LICKS and on A BIGGER BANG proved he was committed to staying fresh with the Stones' productions. I do agree he did not push Mick and Keith in any real sense as songwriters or performers, but if he had, he would never have returned for an encore. If the Stones have a recording future (their current negotiations are for the back catalog, no one is talking new material yet in terms of a contract), I expect Don will be left behind and thought of very much as their Virgin-era producer. They will want a fresh start if there is to be another album. I would be happy to see Bob Clearmountain mixing a new studio album, but I wouldn't expect him as a producer. Bob has always been about sound, not creative direction. If anything the rumors of Mark Ronson producing are probably closer to the mark. I would expect Rob Fraboni to be at the boards if Keith really does cut a few download-only tracks for Mindless Records. Pity more of Keith's work with George Recile doesn't look to be seeing the light of day. Their work on "Still a Fool" and "You Win Again" towers head and shoulders above "Losing My Touch" or Keith's two BIGGER BANG songs.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: April 9, 2008 16:58

Was glad to see Bob Clearmountain return to the fold. He and Chris Kimsey gave the Stones some punch that was sorely lacking on the Don Not Was dead sounding productions...I see the name Don Was in a credit and I cringe....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 9, 2008 18:29

Clearmountain always has THE best mixes. He does an amazing job. Period.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 9, 2008 18:34

I'm not that surprised, he also did the Live Licks mix after all and it seems they thought he did a good job there.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 9, 2008 18:43

Spodlumt
Was glad to see Bob Clearmountain return to the fold. He and Chris Kimsey gave the Stones some punch that was sorely lacking on the Don Not Was dead sounding productions...I see the name Don Was in a credit and I cringe....

Bob Clearmountain, yes. Chris Kimsey? No, no, no!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 9, 2008 18:47

Lorenz
I'm not that surprised, he also did the Live Licks mix after all and it seems they thought he did a good job there.

I agree - Live Licks sounds very well mixed.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: April 9, 2008 20:02

that's why it sounded so good then, no don was.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: April 9, 2008 20:29

Not much producing needed. It's just a recording of two gigs. The same songs they've been playing for months and a few old gems. You only have to make sure all the instruments get recorded properly and mix the thing. Producing is a different matter. It's got more to do with the creation of music. Chosing instruments, tempo's, deciding where the chorus comes in, the middle 8 etc. To see if Don Was is still involved you'd better wait 'till the next studio CD.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 9, 2008 21:23

I don't know, I prefer the official live version of "Gimme Shelter" from the STEEL WHEELS tour Don Was produced than the the sound of the FLASHPOINT album Chris Kimsey produced and Bob Clearmountain mixed. It just depends on what sound the Glimmers are going after. Producers still matter with live recordings, but yes, it's a different story with new studio work. Don Was' recent remarks at an industry function and in interviews make it likely he won't be back behind the boards if A BIGGER BANG wasn't The Last Time.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: April 9, 2008 21:55

opens the door for Ronson?

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: April 9, 2008 22:04

Rick Rubin maybe?

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: April 9, 2008 22:21

marquess
Rick Rubin maybe?

Yeah!

Or bring back Danny Saber. I thought the stuff he did on Bridges was great. And I still think that's the best _sounding_ record they've made in their 'modern' era.

My all-time dream for Stones album producer is still Tom Waits. He'd get a real grit into them for sure.

J

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: April 9, 2008 22:24

there are 2 major reasons why the stones sound is not the same as it used to be live - chuck & no bill wyman.. as for albums, the major problems are no bill wyman and don was as producer... as with chuck, it is not that don was is a bad record prodcuer, it is just that his style does not mesh with the stones sound and as a result, the finished product does not sound like the stones we know and love. same for chuck - it is not that he is a bad piano player, it is just that his "pop" style does not mesh with the rough, bluesy edge of the band - he is not Stu or Mac 0r Nicky.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 12, 2008 13:57

Kudos to Bob.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home