Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Shine A Light - The Movie - Reviews
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 6, 2008 17:02

the theater i went to was about 75% full for SAL, iwas expecting less, everyone was enjoying themselves , mostly during the archive stuff, many laughs at the keith stuff

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: April 6, 2008 18:03

chelskeith

"14. Couldve used more backstage shots- surprised not to see some of the usual suspects like Jane rose, Shelly Lazar, L'ren, the kids, the roadies, Michael Cohl, etc. "

Actually Michael Cohl was in it near the beginning telling Charlie about the meet & greet.

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: April 6, 2008 18:08

Yeah, put my robe on tight. That's it.

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: April 6, 2008 18:30

Well, I watched it right on Friday, but didn't have time to post my review here yet.

So, here it is:

First of all I want to say: I LOVED LOVED LOVED it so much!!!!!
I went went with my sister and although she isn't a Stones fan she said: This movie was pretty cool. (She liked Some Girls best, as far as I know....and, she won't admit in public, but I know: She adores Mick shaking his hips! *lol* Then who doesn't? *gg*)

The crowd in the movie really wasn't huge, altogether we were about 10 or 13 people only. There was what seemed to be a grandfather with his grandchild.
What disappointed me a bit was, that noone rocked! I mean, I was the only one clapping my hands and shrieking and shouting 'Wohoo' or whatever all the time, I tried to animate the others but noone would join in. They were all just sitting there, staring at the screen, not moving. Unbelievable! I kept on rocking, though!

I think the movie is awesome! Brilliant!
There were a few times when I was very close to tears, the closest I guess was during Champagne & Reefer! Man, was that beautiful! It was so heartwarming I couldn't think if anything else properly! Loved it! For me, in fact, I'd say it was the absolute high in the whole movie!!

I loved Far Away Eyes, it was so wonderful. Keith and Mick singing into the same Mike together was priceless and I almost melted away in my seat!

She Was Hot was amazing, as was Sympathy (that entrance is georgeous!), Brown Sugar, Star Me Up, and even Tumblign Dice which I very often find not really catching live. But here it got me really in the groove. They all were fantastic!

I wished they hadn't cut so much of Keith's performance of Connection, however, what was in the movie was pretty cool.

Lovin Cup with Jack White was nice, too, although somehow I like it better without him.

I think Christina Aguilera did a great job on Live With Me! The duet with Mick was awesome! She's such a great voice!

I adored Keith's performance of You Got The Silver in the movie. Smoking, singing, smoking singing, it was so great. And when he knelt down onto the floor in the end I thought my heart would stop beating in the next second! Lovely and soooo cute!

Just My Imagination was marvellous as well. There's one moment during that performance, when there's a shot on Keith and he isn't playing, you know, he had just stopped for a second and walked a bit to the side, and wjile he's doing so he's this unbelievable, unidentifiable expression on his face! It seemed that he watched Mick for that instant, and I'd give anything to know what he's been thinking then! It's a look to die for, yet somewhat..well...undefiable.

I liked the material from the past a lot. And when Keith gives Buddy Guy his guitar and says it's his to keep. Lovely!

And I also had a lot to laugh: Marty's desperation in the beginning because of the setlist, Mick's band introduction where he gets hat wrong with where Lisa is from - Brooklyn not Queens - all these fantastic Keith one-liners, and simply sitting there and watching the greatest and best band ever! Lots of huge Cheshire keith smiles in there, loved it!! And in the end, when he keeps kneeling down witrh his guitar. It's so sweet.
The best laugh I had in all the movie, I think, was during Far Away Eyes when he sang the Chorus with Mick, and said 'Shut Up!' and starts laughing! Hilarious!

The sound at the theatre was great, and the screen was huuuuge, although I didn't see it in IMAX.

I'm definitely going to watch it again and again!

The soundtrack CD's great too!

A must-see and hear for every Stones fan in the world!!!

"One Love",
Charli

Date: April 6, 2008 18:39

-

duck geese!!!!!!!!! duck geese??????????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-07 00:57 by melillo.

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: April 6, 2008 19:44

Saw it last night at the IMAX. WOW!! I thought the band was really into it. They really looked like they were all having a great time. Mick was outstanding, how he can run the stage all night long is incredible. He was in great voice. I enjoyed the duet with Jack White on Loving Cup. Jack really looked like he was having the time of his life. My favorite though was the Buddy Guy Champagne & Reefer. With the guitars chugging along & Mick wailing on the harmonica, this to me is the Rolling Stones at their best.

I didn't think I was going to like the duet with Christine Aguilera but it was really good. She can definately sing & she looked hot. Some of the old clips were really good, especially when Mick was asked if he could see himself still doing this at 60. The crowd got a good chuckle at that. This film is definately worth seeing, so if you haven't stop reading this and go.

Posted by: Anastasia ()
Date: April 6, 2008 20:10

We saw it Friday nite at the IMAX in San Francisco.
Great time prior to the show,meeting up w/folks from IORR, Shidoobee and Undercover....
My first IMAX - Wow, now I want a bigger house and a bigger sound system.
And we should have sat in the back w/ Sarah and the gang - they were dancing and carrying on! But most folks were at least clapping, toe-tapping, and moving in their seats.
I'm glad someone else mentioned Mick's dental work, yes, TMI, but I found it a bit endearing.
Where was Blondie? At one point I thought perhaps he didn't sign a waiver/release to be in the film.
Jack White - seemed humble and appreciative to be part of this.
Christine Aguilera - she at least gets the Stones sexuality - I'm still having nightmares of Sheryl Crow trying to sing Honky Tonk w/ Mick. Ick.
Buddy Guy - Reefer and Champagne -that was awesome.
YGTS - Keith was spot-on.
Satisfaction - the energy was close to that in a live show - I found that amazing.
Rent-a-bimbo - *sigh*. The one fixing her hair...during a song..."I'm ready for my close-up Mr. deMille".
All-in-all, SAL is an excellent tide-me-over-til-the-next-tour!

Posted by: rcho ()
Date: April 7, 2008 00:52

I saw it this afternoon. Only about 20 people in the theatre.
Definitely worth seeing! But it is good not great.
Musically Jack White did not add anything for me.
Too much time on the Clinton meet and greet and on Lisa - not that she is not a good singer. Almost no shots of Blondie (is it meant to be a secret how much he plays?). Too many extreme closeups of Mick. I would have preferred more shots showing him as he moves on stage, not just a little bit of his arms

And no where near enough of Ron and Keith. I would have liked shots showing how they play - which set of hands does which notes. One cannot hear that just by listening; need to see it too. The film did show more of them in the last 1/4

I also thought what a waste of space on the model sorts at the front of the stage. One shot showed someone watching Keith - she was clapping as directed but showed none of the thrill that most of the true fans would have.

So I recommend it highly. I hope that there is more material on the DVD when it comes out. But I did not feel the need to see it again immediately.

I wonder who had final cut? Scorsese, I imagine.

Date: April 7, 2008 03:08

I saw the IMAX release this Saturday. What a mind and ear-blowing show. They got it right all the way thru. I'd say this was the best concert material they've ever captured visually. What a great compliment to a band that has been around for over 45 years. They play because they want to. That comes across so clearly in the movie. Highly recommended. I loved the moment in Far Away Eyes where Mick & Keith harmonize together just like they did so very long ago. And when Keith says "Cool eh?" after he finishes You Got the Silver, he comes across as a proud little kid impressed with himself. You just had to smile over that.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 7, 2008 03:09

Went to Sunday noon show at IMAX Universal City (Los Angeles)

390 seats, two-thirds full. Nice variety of ages and backgrounds.

Yes, I now own one of the cheap flimsy coaster "momentoes." big f...g deal. I'm having it laminated and put on a chain for a friend.

Manager told me Sat night show sold out, and this is clearly a word of mouth film which will build nicely.

Six great and bright teenage boys in front of me. Told me they own Stones music. Afterward, I told them "Now you're corrupted for life!!"

Loved Mich's harmonica parts generally and on "Champagne and Reefer" and Keith's REAL from the heart and soul vocal on YGTS. Mick and Keith had some great moments on "Just My Imagination."

Thought Jack White was quite a sweetie. HATED that needless dull chorus from Lisa, Blondie and Bernard on "All Down The Line."

The Beacon itself added so much. Beautiful backdrop for The Boys. I give David Tedeschi, the film editor, and all the cinematographers more credit than Scorcese. The stuff with the Clintons was a big yawn for most of the audience.

Interested to read experiences of other LA people...

"Johang," re your post, maybe you need a vacation -- or new friends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-07 03:15 by stonesrule.

Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: April 7, 2008 03:44

Saw it on IMAX tonight. Loved it. It may not be perfect but it's damn good.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: April 7, 2008 05:07

Forgot to mention that part was brilliant showing only the phone and Mick's distinctive voice coming thru saying he doesn't like the idea of the swooping cameras, then Martin disagreeing, then "You Can't Always Get What You Want". Haha!

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: April 7, 2008 07:32

Dig it, Christina A can blow. She holds her own with the Jag and the band is about to take off on "Live With Me". But for me my all time favorite moment in any Stones concert is on "Brown Sugar" when the Jag says yeah yeah yeah......whooooo and the crowd is right there with him. in the movie dig the band, they are hitting that note. We the fans always complain about this warhorse or that warhorse, if I had written some of those songs I would want to play them every night too. Some of those licks are in our DNA. They are part of our blood. Shine A Light rocks like a big wheel going through a Mississippi cotton field.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: April 7, 2008 07:38

best line in the movie is when Marty says We don't want to burn Mick Jagger!(with the hot lights)

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: April 7, 2008 07:45

Loved the movie in general. The setlist drama in the intro, Jagger's phenomenal energy, Charlie the human metronome. Even Ron Wood deserves his props.

But Keef's bad moments are just painful! That wretched solo in Sympathy, the out of time rhythum playing in Start Me Up, etc. It's no wonder Scorcese chopped up Connection. Keef's probably my greatest musical inspiration, but he almost brings down the entire film by himself. His playing has deteriorated so badly that it's almost embarrassing.

Posted by: oldfan ()
Date: April 7, 2008 15:57

Saw it in IMAX on 4/4 and show was 90% sold out. Wanted to see it again with some other friends yesterday but it was sold out. Enjoyed it very much. Thought that the sound was excellent and wasn't bothered by the increases in volume when focusing on Keith's or Ron's guitar etc. Scorcese is obviously a big Stones fan and inserted himself into the movie mostly in a warm humorous way.I thought he more or less put you on the stage with the band.The friends I was with(not real Stones fans but familiar with thier music) really got a kick out of the movie. As far as the tunes in the show, everybody has known what the possible songs were ever since the two Beacon shows. At the end of the show the audience applauded and I heard only good comments on the way out.I thought it was all things considered, thier best concert movie since GS. LAGTRS was stronger musically but IMHO had very standard camera work/editing compared to SAL.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: April 7, 2008 22:12

My modest contribution

[www.telecablesat.fr]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 7, 2008 22:31

...............in very limited release Shine A Light did $1.8 million in sales over the weekend in the USA. Not enough to get it in the top 10 but considered "fair" by industry standards; especially when considering the numbers of the #1 ($15.1M) and #2($13.4M) and #10 ($2.7M) movies

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: April 8, 2008 02:03

Went to IMAX in Richmond, Virginia at 2:30 on Sunday afternoon...show was sold out. My first IMAX movie...hard to judge the filmmaking as it was a bit overwhelming. That said, I thought it was an amazing show at the Beacon. Champagne and Reefer and all the NYC songs from Some Girls were cool.

Hated the fakers in the front...lousy decision by Scorcese or someone.

Mick came through as the ultimate performer...what a perfectionist.

Date: April 8, 2008 02:19

yes the only bad point of the movie was the fake fans, a real slap to the hardcore fans imho, made no sence what so ever, but still a heck of a movie

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 8, 2008 04:42

Just got back from the film and wow, what a great show.

Ronnie f-ing with Martin Scorcesse(sp?) about the setlist, Charlie being Charlie.

Mick & Keith sharing the mike on Far Away Eyes, (was that the first time onstage since '76 or '78?)

Loved Jack White on Loving Cup, he didn't look like a deer in the headlights to me, nor did he appear frozen and awestruck, but that is just my opinion.

Buddy Motherf-ing Guy...the smiles, the song....that was magic.

Mick and the boys having a blast onstage, especially during She Was Hot, between Mick, Lisa and Bernard.

The flashback clips were well chosen

Loved it.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 8, 2008 08:48

Where did the CD review thread go? Anyway here's my thoughts on the CD.

Jumping Jack Flash - As always a good opener. Have heard better versions though, but it rocks.

Shattered - Killer. Great tempo. Stonesdoug should be pleased with this one (His fave track).

She Was Hot - Way cool. Great song and great licks.

All Down The Line - Seems close to the great '95 version. Stunning.

Loving Cup - Like it, like it. Jack White does a great job on it,

As Tears Go By - Lovely to hear, but when Mick sings it, his throat problems show a bit too much. Awesome guitar work.

Some Girls - One of the best of the lot. Jagger on top form and listen to that great back beat.

Just My Imagination - Who would've thought they could do a version as good as the Hampton '81 version? Sterling.

Faraway Eyes - Also very, very good. Pedal steel to the max.

Champagne & Reefer - Love it, but it could've been as great without Buddy Guy. I don't think he upstages anyone here. Great voice and great guitar work (Except his first - I expected more for that first one). Without The Stones doing that awesome backing work Buddy wouldn't have been so great. But it's still one of the best here, even though it's not exactly Back Of My Hand.

Tumbling Dice - Cool version as always. Have they ever done a bad version of this one?

You Got The Silver - A fave of mine from this CD. Ronnie is a master and Keith sings it so well. Different from the original and it suits it.

Connection - Here is when it goes wrong for me. First off it's never been a particularly good song and even though this version is kindda Winos-like, there's just something that's not right. It's too sloppy, and not in a good way. Not up to par.

Sympathy For The Devil - Charlie does a great job here. Keith's solo is shite, but I know he can deliver it better. He did in Horsens and London. Not the best version I've heard. This one is not up to par either.

Live With Me - Like it. Aguilera is good, but not great. Charlie is way cool here. Keith kicks ass. I can't wait to see the movie so I can wank off to the image of Xtina. grinning smiley

Start Me Up - Good version.
Brown Sugar - This one really rocks. It's just one of those go apeshit versions where they hit the nail on the head from chord one. A fave of mine from this one.

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - It's OK, but seems too mediocre. I've heard it far better on the ABB tour than this. Not up to par.

Paint It Black - Killer. It's so bad-ass.

Little T&A - It's funny about Keith's songs on this one. One is bad, one is medium (This one) and one is awesome (Silver). Was better on The Biggest Bang.

I'm Free - Great. Just great. Way better than the Stripped version. Dig it.

Shine A Light - The title track. It's lovely.

Overall rating - 8.5.
Better than No Security, Still Life, Got Live If You Want It and Live Licks. As good as Love You Live and Flashpoint. Of course not better than Ya-Ya's, but it's very good. 8.5 doesn't give a good image of what I think about it, and 9 would be too high. And it will probably be even better on film. I can't wait to see it. This CD is a great appetizer and I think it will stand the test of time too.

Thumbs up and gold rings on The Stones fo bringing me yet another good release.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 8, 2008 09:28

JumpingKentFlash
Where did the CD review thread go?

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: peter ()
Date: April 8, 2008 09:39

I wish I had as much free time to post questions/opinions as many fans do on this website..I look forward to seeing SAL next week in IMAX...I purchased the deluxe cd last week & only have one curious question...why does Mick mention San Francisco 'twice' during the final verse of 'Brown Sugar' ?...if this question is obvious while watching the film, I'll soon find out...if it's not obvious, anyone know why ?....peter

Date: April 8, 2008 09:41

erikjjf
JumpingKentFlash
Where did the CD review thread go?

[www.iorr.org]

Cheers mate.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: altamont ()
Date: April 8, 2008 09:58

The next gig was at the McAfee Coliseum in Oakland. That's why.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 8, 2008 14:26

A fantastic experience. The best Stones film since Gimme Shelter and Ladies & Gentleman. Scorsese knows how to work behind the camera, and the Stones know how to work on the stage. A deadly combination.

Scorsese managed to capture the energy and the interplay between the band members in a brilliant way. The various and diffrent interviews between the songs apperead at the right places at the right time, and these interviews was so funny and shows the diffrent personalties of the band members.

So many great highlights, the best one - if I hade to choose one, "Champagne and Reefer". Back to the roots, pure blues. Charlie keeps the beat, while dirty blues guitar licks is weaving. And Scorsese really knows how to make it look good, with a Sergio Leone close up footage of Buddy Guy's face, while you hear Mick's howling harmonica in the background. And what a moment when you see the sparkling glows from Keith's cigarette.

Great performances of the songs, the sound was strong and dirty. A great, great concert film - and a very diffrent one.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 8, 2008 15:04

if any of you wished there was more archival footage (like i did)....
...blame Mick. I just heard a brief interview with Mick...and
it sounds like the "director's cut" had more. Mick said something like..
there was more archival footage...and it was "riveting" but it made it
seemed like 2 different movies...edited archival stuff out so we wouldn't
lose track that it was a concert film.

let's hope we get the SCORSESE Director's cut on dvd.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: April 8, 2008 15:16

sweet neo con
if any of you wished there was more archival footage (like i did)....
...blame Mick. I just heard a brief interview with Mick...and
it sounds like the "director's cut" had more. Mick said something like..
there was more archival footage...and it was "riveting" but it made it
seemed like 2 different movies...edited archival stuff out so we wouldn't
lose track that it was a concert film.

let's hope we get the SCORSESE Director's cut on dvd.

For a movie you have to harness what it's about. That's also why most films run about the same lenght. If they'd have put in more archive stuff the film would be longer (Read: Too long). They refined it (Happens with most movies) and the film keeps more focus. A director's cut can always come on DVD.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 8, 2008 15:24

That's true Kent...and i know why films are edited etc...and yes i hope all of it
and more is released on dvd...but i also think there is a difference
between a concert film & a documentary. this is being billed as a
Scorsese documentary. Fact is...there's so little archival footage in this
film....there's almost no point in having any at all. If they want the
focus to be the show ONLY...fine...leave out the archival clips and
call it what it is .... a show (or 2 shows) that was staged
for martin scorsese to film/direct. a concert film.

my hope...director's cut SAL and an actual historical ("story of the stones" )
companion disk when it's released on dvd.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-08 15:25 by sweet neo con.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1132
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home