Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Shine A Light Press Conference New York (30.03.08)??
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 31, 2008 07:04

Thanks for sharing the fab fotos.
West 54th Street video to come ...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 31, 2008 07:12

Any sound from the PC?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 31, 2008 07:37

Video soon of their vehicles' procession arriving at the theater.
Car 1, Black. (Martin Scorsese)
Car 2, Black. (Mick)
Car 3, Black. (Keith)
Car 4, Black. (Charlie)
Car 5, Black. (Ronnie)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-31 21:38 by schillid.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 31, 2008 07:47

Well, I was at the press conference and fan preview in New York today, not the Ziegfled theatre but an uptown IMAX and, working on no sleep and a crappy hotel computer, here's my initial info. Thank gawd I took notes because I'm in complete sensory overload...

The press conference was supposed to be from 3 to 4:15. Guy from Paramount met us all (20 people, only 2 of us from Canada) and we were bussed over to the hotel where the press conference was being held. Press passes, run of the joint including the floor where all the nosh was laid out.

We were told no photos (!!!), got seated in a room that held maybe 250 people, 11 rows back on the centre aisle. The Boys troop in with Scorsese about 3:20. Major camera set up at the back of the room, press there from all over the world. This from my notes...

Asked about the Beacon and why a small venue was important, Scorsese said he wanted the intimacy to show how the band works together, a compulsion of his. Ronnie said the audience was all camera men. Keith said the Beacon is special, the room wraps its arms around you, a great feeling.

Asked about the IMAX format, Mick grinned and said it is larger. (Big laugh) Then added it does show slight imperfections. Another laugh.

Asked about Scorsese's history of movies with the underworld and mafia, he clarified that the Stones have no direct association with those elements. smiling smiley

Guy from Argentina asked whether anything gives the guys more pleasure than making music - big laugh and everyone wanted to hear the answer. Then without drawing breath he added two more questions so nobody could follow what he was asking and they didn't answer anything. Too bad - I wanted to hear the first answer...

Asked if the film was a meditation on aging, and about the set list, Mick said "I don't know" then Keith jumped in with "Michael comes up with the set list because he has to sing it, until I tell him he has 10 songs in the same key..." !!! I love that he called him Michael (assuming he meant Jagger, not Cohl...)

Guy from VH1 (fan winner) asked if there were plans to do an acoustic album, like an Unplugged, Keith said "If you can't afford the electricity, baby, you've got to do something!" Best line of the day.

Asked about using Just My Imagination in the movie, Mick said he has a tribute to Martha and the Vandellas in front of his mirror... Big laugh and second best line of the day!

Asked about Buddy Guy and the other guests, Mick said Muddy introduced them. Keith jumped in with "I didn't give him that guitar for nothing..."

PC ended abruptly at 3:45, guys just said That's All and were gone.

So we were bussed over to the IMAX theatre for the movie...

Chatting with our Paramount PR guy on the way to the bus, he let it slip that the Stones would be at the movie. Apparently that info was supposed to be top secret. I was literally the only one in the audience who knew. So after we got to our seats, I went down, hung around the lobby. Grabbed a diet coke. Only about 15 people out there, all Stones folk or Paramount reps. Nobody gave me a second look. A few minutes later I turned around to see a certain grey fedora disappearing behind a black curtain beside the concession stand.

Hmmm ... I thought ... I think that was the Rolling Stones... Wandered over. (All of 30 feet across the floor.) A few people outside the curtain including my Paramount guy. I looked at him with my eyebrows raised and he just looked at me as if to say No you're not getting back there, just shut up and wait.

So I sat down, had a slug of diet coke. Waited.

About 5 minutes later after a few people went in and out (one with a tray of Starbucks coffee, who was unceremoniously thrown out), people started spilling out. The Stones, Michael Cohl, Jane Rose (I think), and a bunch of burly guys. Took a nonchalant sip of the ol' diet coke, stood up, yawned and fell into step beside Keith.

Really. It was just bizarre.

Said "Hey Keith" and his automatic PR mode must have kicked in because he looked over, said Hello love, one arm around my shoulder, the other shaking my hand. Grey hat with a bullet hole etc...

By then we were at the little hall leading into the side of the movie theatre. Me, the Stones, 2 Paramount guys who were going to introduce them, Cohl, Jane and 5 hunky, scary guys. There was no going forward or back for any of us. We were crammed in this tiny hallway for about 3 minutes while the intro started. Mick was saying "I don't know what to say." Ronnie and Charlie were pushing and poking each other and giggling like kids in a playground. Keith leaned against the wall 2 or 3 feet away exuding cool. I just stood there, shut up and pretended I belonged there (we had been given Shine a Light badges that were the same as the Paramount folks were wearing - they didn't think that one through when they handed them out on the bus..). Scorsese went out first and spoke briefly then the guys went out. The place went nuts. I mean NOBODY knew they were coming. I was literally standing "offstage" 5 feet away while they said a few words. Then it was over real fast, they were coming out. The hall is only about 4 feet wide so I spoke briefly with Keith again as they were leaving. I scrambled to my seat as the movie was starting.

Yowzah!

(Haven't had time to read much on IORR, bit of a party after, but since everyone seems to be arguing over it I was about 5'7" in my heels, Keith was level with me, Mick a titch taller, Ronnie and Charlie pretty damn close. Scorsese is maybe 5'2" ... )

For what it's worth the movie is amazing, will be seeing it a lot in the next week, but the folks who saw it in Berlin said it all, and better so I'll leave it at that.

Gotta pack, early flight! It's been an amazing, intense day. Will fill in details tomorrow night if I've missed anything...

Cheers from NYC!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-31 23:15 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 31, 2008 07:57

Great read SomeTorontoGirl. Thanks. You're damn lucky to have experienced that.
smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: March 31, 2008 08:06

little queenie
cool! i actually think charlie looks the best! but they all look great - i wonder who keith is giving the finger too? maybe the guy who won the ability to ask them a question for $25K from VH1?

Hater !! smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 31, 2008 08:31

Wonderful story Some Toronto Gal.....

Bet ya still pumpin inside...
Hey just let the glory of it all wash on down and over ya soul....Treasure it all

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: March 31, 2008 09:03

Great story...

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 31, 2008 09:22

rocks off

Hater !! smiling smiley

at least the guy got the best line of the day...

but that's nothing in comparison to STG's story! that's f'ing unbelievable - genious! better than you could ever imagine!

so was this IMAX show exclusive or could anyone buy tix? do we assume that the stones went to the ziegfeld afterward??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-31 09:23 by little queenie.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 31, 2008 10:08

What a fantastic adventure Toronto girl!

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: March 31, 2008 10:16

wowww,
some toronto girl!!! great adventure, thanks for sharing it

Re: Shine A Light Press Conference New York City March 30
Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: March 31, 2008 11:18

Thanks for that read SomeTorontoGirl! You're so so lucky!

And the guys all looked FABULOUS!!!! And in a good mood! Charlie looks stunning in that suit, and Keith's grey hair is just...wohoo....and that hat! Very nice! Really cool. I can't wait for friday to finally see SAL!

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 31, 2008 11:23

so STG,

what did you say to keith the 2nd time around?

and what did mick end up saying to the audience at the IMAX?

didn't your paramount guy see what you were up to?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 31, 2008 11:59

WOW, STG - way to go!!! Was that worth the trip down to NY or what?! Terrific story .

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 31, 2008 12:02

thanks for sharing your incredible experience, Toronto Girl

well done!

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: March 31, 2008 12:19

really enjoyed your story !

top stuff

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: March 31, 2008 14:04

Wow STG, that is a great story, good for you!!!!

They all look great in the photos, really good to see. Although Charlie, too many stripes!!

Anyway Wednesday is approaching and I can't wait to see the movie at the IMAX in London. WOOOOOOOOOO!!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: March 31, 2008 14:17

Wow! What a great read and a fantastic experience for you SomeTorontoGirl!!!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 31, 2008 14:19

great
thanks

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: March 31, 2008 14:22

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, STG! Wow, I am green with envy!

I'm guessing that this question was not posed by anyone at the press conference, but....did the Stones happen to comment at all about any new studio album being a possibility by late 2009?

Thanks again!!

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: March 31, 2008 14:42

It's really cool, they all look good. Not too sure about Mick wearing sneakers though.

But why is Keith's fingernail blue? Should I go out and get some blue nail polish too?

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: March 31, 2008 15:19

sometorontogirl - i couldn't be happier for you. what an incredible experience.
"hey, who's that chick with the diet coke, and how did she get in here!?"

you were practically in keith's lap! what a way to go with the flow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-31 22:19 by 3DTeafoe.

Posted by: Adi Tyler ()
Date: March 31, 2008 15:26

Great story, STG :] Thanks for sharing!!

"Ronnie and Charlie were pushing and poking each
other and giggling like kids in a playground." heh :-D

Date: March 31, 2008 15:49

seems Mick changed later on. oh & I heart Ronnie.

Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: March 31, 2008 15:57

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 31, 2008 15:58

thanks everybody for the beautiful photos, and STG for the beautiful report of an amazing adventure
and yes the Mick has lifts in his shoes, bless him! and thanks & praises, Rolling Stones

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 31, 2008 16:05

timbernardis
what's with the green fingernail on Keith's middle finger?

p

looks baby blue to me....check your monitor colors. (see the KR & Marty previous page)

were his nails painted in the pirate movie?

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-31 16:08 by sweet neo con.

Date: March 31, 2008 16:09

Thank you for the awesome pics, arizojp!
That high-res photo of Keith is priceless! :]

Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: March 31, 2008 16:15

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 31, 2008 18:27

They've always been midgets.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home