Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: SAL soundtrack my quick review
Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 29, 2008 21:46

Bingo
Shattered starts out with all the vocals in the left channel? Weird.

No, it doesn't. The backround vocals are panned (mixed) to left channel. The horns are to the right. It's how they're placed on stage.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: March 29, 2008 23:24

Justin

"Connection"...meh Everyone in the band seems to know the song well enough---except Keith. Very rushed and very very nervous version.

quote]

I think this version is ok. Keith sings it very well, but misses Ronnies lead (If there was meant to be one.) Also noticed that Keith doesn't play his guitar at all except two short leads.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: March 29, 2008 23:35

maumau

overall:
it's grooving it's hot it is an entire show put in a box with no edits nor overdubs (wow!) like a kind of official bootleg ! so it has its flaws (SFTD a big one as usual lately)
but hey this rocks a lot
one thing that it is clear is that some classics smoke better than ever while some nuggets well they try to...

ups: ADTL, SG, C&R, TD, YGTS, SMU, BS

downs: SFTD, S, PIB, LT&A

cant wait to grab the "real" thing (and see the movie of course!)

Agree very much with you here! Nice to hear Keith Rocking as we're used to on his 5-string, open-G telecaster! Ronnie is playing the hell out of his Strat! But a few downs as you have mentioned.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Re: Shine A Light - The Rolling Stones live CD - Reviews
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 29, 2008 23:49

LOVE IT!!!!! For me this has a nice bootleg feeling (setlist and sound). Don't understand all the negative reaction to the album. It's a fans dream come true. The Rolling Stones now!!! Maybe we expect too much? My only concern is that the tape seems sped-up. Anyway, the past live records were dubbed/edited? Thank You to THE ROLLING STONES for a great release.

Posted by: coconuts ()
Date: March 29, 2008 23:54

I agree with you, MarcVandereijk.There´re others ways to pay tribute to someone. But you know, They are the Rolling Stones. Maybe on the stage, does not feel that way. Let´s wait and see.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 30, 2008 00:18

maumau
i dont care at all for the "good old days" when i had no money to buy the records i wanted
Still there, pal.

Posted by: MickyG ()
Date: March 30, 2008 00:34

Only my opinion and I would not exactly argue that this is Handsome Girls reborn (hell that was 30 years ago), but..this has enough echoes of greatness to keep me very happy!

Posted by: Keith The Beast ()
Date: March 30, 2008 06:54

I’ve been listening it a lot for the last couple of days and it’s great but it’s not as great as I expected. I guess too much hype was built for it and the set list is great but at times it all sounds a bit too unrehearsed. The version of Just My Imagination from the Giants Stadium from before the Beacon shows is much better with Charlie only coming in strong during the chorus and then going crazy at the end. It sounded fresher and more spontaneous. The soundtrack version is still petty good but not as good as they could have done. Far Away Eyes is one where Mick could have added a little more soul to his voice, it sounds kind of empty and not very thrilling as it once did in the late 70’s, it’s still a great treat and Mick and Keith sharing the mike for the chorus is perhaps the best moment of the concert. You gotta love those backing vocals from Keith.

Champagne And Reefer is perfect, Buddy Guy adds a lot to the song and Mick’s harp playing is awesome, every time Mick stands by the side of bluesman like Buddy his voice gets drowned by the awesomeness of these black men strong voices, this time he plays harp while Buddy is singing and that suits him and the song really well. You Got The Silver is beautiful, Keith’s singing is perfect as is Ronnie’s playing. Aguillera is pretty great on Live With Me, I just wish Keith hadn’t played anything on the intro and have let it start with the bass only. Satisfaction is great with up tempo jazz jam at the end, so cool. As Tears Goes By, Some Girls and All Down The Line are all nice treats but hold nothing special. She Was Hot sounded alright but a bit lost and it’s a real shame Mick doesn’t try to sing the chorus it like on the studio version, it’s pretty much half of the song for me.

All warhorses are done professionally. Loving Cup is not as bad as I imagined it to be, Jack White does a nice job there and he seems to be enjoying himself more than Mick. Connection is better than Little T&A, I’m Free should be done more often (love Keith’s backing vocals on this one too) and no Shine A Light version will ever be better than the one from Stripped. The entire band is on absolute perfection mode on that version, this soundtrack version also seems to have the band a little lost throughout it. Overall I think it all will probably sound a bit better with the image along with the sound.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: March 30, 2008 14:26

Jaggers singing is terrible.Completely lack of soul.He ruins everything and is worse than Richards playing.
Overall playing is wilder and rougher than on other nowadays polished live alboums.
Live with me is good.
Connection is good.
Loving Cup is dissapointment.
As usual we had big hype.
It is one of many Stones concerts.Some ups and downs.
Let`s wait for new alboum....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-30 14:32 by benon again.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 30, 2008 16:08

Never saw this pic before. Must've slipped by me. Great shot.

[cache2.vuze.com]

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 30, 2008 16:11

And I found a letter explaining how things would pan out for the residents around The Beacon.

[i145.photobucket.com]

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 30, 2008 17:02

JumpingKentFlash
Justin
You can still have those "good old days" if you really wanted them. If one wants to recreate the excitement and anticipation...just eliminate the one thing that didn't exist in 1978: the internet. You can't have the internet, be part of a Stones messageboard have the knowledge and ability to download from torrents and still preserve your sense of anticipation and suspense for a release. Either get rid of the internet or start practicing on some pretty tough self-discipline.

I did that when A Bigger Bang came out. I didn't listen to any Stones music for something like 2 weeks. Just to build up anticipation. I was there at the store when it was released, and they had to open the box the CDs was in to get me one. They had only just opened and hadn't had time to unpack the new releases. So I get it, go home and blast it through the speakers. I jumping like a maniac that day. It was great.

That's a funny thing about Rolling Stones fandom A.D. 2008 - even the anticipation of a new Rolling Stones record needs to be somehow manufactured or created - it won't happen naturally. I don't think it has very much to do with internet actually - we just don't actually expect anything to be released that we honestly think would blow our mind away. The biggest expectations concern how it is mixed - or how much is edited, etc. Musically we know excatly what we are going to get. No surprises to any direction in that section.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-30 17:04 by Doxa.

Date: March 30, 2008 17:11

Doxa
JumpingKentFlash
Justin
You can still have those "good old days" if you really wanted them. If one wants to recreate the excitement and anticipation...just eliminate the one thing that didn't exist in 1978: the internet. You can't have the internet, be part of a Stones messageboard have the knowledge and ability to download from torrents and still preserve your sense of anticipation and suspense for a release. Either get rid of the internet or start practicing on some pretty tough self-discipline.

I did that when A Bigger Bang came out. I didn't listen to any Stones music for something like 2 weeks. Just to build up anticipation. I was there at the store when it was released, and they had to open the box the CDs was in to get me one. They had only just opened and hadn't had time to unpack the new releases. So I get it, go home and blast it through the speakers. I jumping like a maniac that day. It was great.

That's a funny thing about Rolling Stones fandom A.D. 2008 - even the anticipation of a new Rolling Stones record needs to be somehow manufactured or created - it won't happen naturally. I don't think it has very much to do with internet actually - we just don't actually expect anything to be released that we honestly think would blow our mind away. The biggest expectations concern how it is mixed - or how much is edited, etc. Musically we know excatly what we are going to get. No surprises to any direction in that section.

- Doxa

I disagree. When they release something new I can't know if it's good or not. But my anticipation level is certainly very high. I didn't manufacture anything. I just made a point to myself that this was the first time they'd released an album of new material in my time as a fan (And by the way: ABB DID blow my mind away). When new stuff arrives I couldn't care less if it's edited or how it's mixed. I'm playing it so loud I couldn't make out the difference anyway. All the edit/mix talk can be saved for later. There's no need talking about it when it first comes out. And when ABB came out I had only heard SOL and RJ. I didn't know what to expect for the remaining 14 songs. I was certainly surprised to hear Rain Fall Down, Look What The Cat Dragged In, Laugh I Nearly Died and Infamy.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 30, 2008 17:13

>> That's a funny thing about Rolling Stones fandom <<

smile: i wouldn't generalize. i remember being pretty blase about Four Flicks before i got it -
and then i put it on, and it blew me away completely. a valuable learning experience :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-30 17:13 by with sssoul.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 30, 2008 17:36

Just in case it hasn't been posted:

Best Buy (April 1 release): $11.99 for double CD & $9.99 for the
"regular" 1 CD edition. And $3 "movie money" for SAL movie (w/double disk edition).

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-30 18:36 by sweet neo con.

Date: March 30, 2008 20:27

Target.com is offering the soundtrack on one of those
USB memory sticks for $30 or something...of course the memory stick
is reuseable etc.... if they wanted to sell some of these memory sticks
this would have been a good place for them to include
UNDERCOVER OF THE NIGHT (Japanese bonus track)...but they didn't.

2 cd set of SAL is $13.99 (4/1)...$2 more than Best Buy.

Date: March 30, 2008 20:29

A pic previously posted by JumpingKentFlash (cropped with text):

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-30 20:34 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: hoodooyouvoodoo ()
Date: March 30, 2008 20:39

Great performance. Shattered races out of the traps and doesnt look back. Live with me is more energetic than i ever thought it could be again. Start me up - best ever live version. AT LAST a full length Brown Sugar on an official release and its a really hot one. Imagination rocks. Loving Cup is far better than the lukewarm versions ive heard on 'Licks'tour boots.
The sound is terrific - the drums especially thunderous. ronnie plays well and that provides welcome distraction from some repetitive noodling by keith -HE is redeemed by a tremendous You Got The silver.

even Im Free has a spring in its step - its like they re-thought a bunch of these songs - not just the same old arrangements.

can this really be the same band that perpetrated the austin DVD atrocity?

Im surprised to be overjoyed with it and cant wait for the film.

juiced up and sloppy

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: March 30, 2008 21:09

@hoodooyouvoodoo
Indeed, the Austin concert is a disaster when compared to SAL.

After listening lots of times, does anybody else also notice that 'As tears go by' is amazing.
So many people bitch at Jagger's singing, and I'll agree wholeheartedly that it has changed but especially on these ballads it is not necessarily a bad thing. Already on 'Old habits die hard' it sounded great, but 'As tears go by' goes in a similar way. Enjoyed that very much.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: March 31, 2008 02:59

i'm confused, at the time of ABB dvd release The Austin concert was touted as the best thing since sliced bread, now a short time later its labelled an atrocity and a diaster

what gives?

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: March 31, 2008 05:53

My problem being Down Under, where the release date is May 29 (a mere 2 months from now), is that I will have listened to this enough times by then that I may not be bothered enough to buy the cd. I live in the country & it takes over an hour for me to get to a music shop.

I'm going to wait till I get the bonus track & then re-edit the whole thing so that it's in a more correct running order. By the time I've done that I don't know whether I will have the energy needed for the drive into the Big Smoke, traffic, parking etc.

I've been watching the papers & haven't seen anything about the film, I assume there will be a dvd but @ the rate things are released here that might not be till Xmas, might be a bit of a yawn by then....

The mix - quite average, where's the bottom end, all I hear is the slap of Charlies' kick drum.

I wanna see the band & in the sample clips we get a lot of Mick, close up, not a pretty sight nowadays, if they could only photoshop their faces - the 'smooth' tool would be used a lot.

The songs - The film is called 'Shine A Light' my understanding is that the song isn't in the actual movie - I mean, pardon?

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: March 31, 2008 16:15

I think this is a fantastic recording and we should cut them some slack. It sounds better than anything they have released in a live format for decades. The best bootlegs from '78 are the last time I enjoyed listening to a new concert this much. It's a great legacy for the band and if anything negative can be said, perhaps the mistakes can point out to the band perhaps it's time to slow down. As Michael Cohl refused to say they would tour again, I have my doubts they will. New albums - yes, single shows - yes, but large tours are a thing of the past. Shine a Light is great!

Posted by: Alef ()
Date: March 31, 2008 17:41

Listening for the first time to older live recordings of the Stones always brought excitement in at least a handful of songs.

In case of this CD I was only positively surprised by the rough (opening) riff of Some Girls. That's it. The songs are still great - the best anyone could ever make - but the performance lacks the rough energy the Stones used to have. I really was shocked by the thin and powerless voice Mick has on this recording. Add to this the obligatory and uninspired guitarwork and you have what you get with this CD; the best songs anyone could ever write performed in a very mediocre way...

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 31, 2008 18:23

give it a second chance alef winking smiley
mick's voice is thinner than normal but dont forget he had just came out of a sore throat at that time
dont agree that the guitar work is uninspired thru the whole record
there are ups and down but the overall impact i think is pretty good
ronnie in particular i think he does a great job all the way thru

Date: March 31, 2008 19:49

Is there going to be a CD w/DVD deluxe release?

I know there's the single cd release.
I know there's the double disk release.
I know there's a double disk import (w/Undercover of the Night)
I know there's a USB memory stick release....

.....i've seen some places on the internet where they mention a CD/DVD Deluxe version...
...but there's never any info about the dvd.

Are the Stones going to release this weeks from now like they did
with the A BIGGER BANG CD/DVD Deluxe version?

ANyone know anythin about this...or is it merely bad info?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 31, 2008 19:59

... I was looking for similar info and found nothing.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: March 31, 2008 20:51

It may not be wildly advertised yet, however, do you really think they are going to forgo the chance to sell 500,000 or so DVDs for Christmas? I think it's 99.9% assured that it will be out later this year.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 31, 2008 21:36

I downloaded the soundtrack last week and only listened to about 30 seconds total. I can't believe everyone is so eager to hear it that they'd rather listen to the soundtrack before seeing the movie!!! I purposely chose to not ruin the experience by hearing complete songs ahead of time...

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: March 31, 2008 21:43

Same here; have also avoided seeing the set list.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 31, 2008 21:51

Same here, have even avoided to read about it.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home