Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Shine A Light - The Rolling Stones live CD - Reviews
Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 2, 2008 08:30

From a packaging standpoint, the photo quality of the live shots are awful. Not the poses they selected but how grainy they reproduced.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 2, 2008 08:57

I think it's supposed to look grainy. That is the style and feel they chose for the whole package.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 2, 2008 10:33

Yeah the booklet shots just have that grainy look....No Big deal

ROCKMAN

Date: April 2, 2008 14:15

R
Theif in the Night
R
Bashlets
Its now available on ITUNES to purchase with Undercover bonus cut. It sounds better than what I downloaded by a mile.

Moreover the single disc version on iTunes is 17 songs, adding "Shattered."

Does it really matter? $11.99 gets you 22 tracks on CD. $11.99 + some widely available free software ( Exact Audio Copy for XP or Express Rip for Vista etc.) gets you 22 tracks in WAV,MP3 @ higher than 192 KBPS without DRM,WMA,and/or OGG.I don't see why you would want to buy it from I Tunes except for maybe Undercover of the Night.There are and will be other ways to get that track in better quality as well.

Jeez Louise, what do you care in what format I, or anybody, buys an album? FYI, I bought the 2CD set as I prefer the superior sonics and because the vinyl isn't out yet. I'm guessing "Undercover'" will appear on a CD-5.

I don't care,really but,I never said that I did care.I was just pointing out that there is no real reason to buy the 17 track compressed mp3 DRM version of the album from I Tunes when you can get 22 tracks for $11.99 (including three dollars off of admission to the movie).Once you have the deluxe CD version,it is basically free to convert the songs to WAV,MP3(@ higher than 192 kbps & without DRM),WMA,and/or OGG.It is also very easy and not very time consuming.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: April 2, 2008 15:38

More proof of the fact that the Stones nowadays are a mere shadow of their former selves. Terrible. What a crap CD it is.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: April 2, 2008 15:47

gimme_shelter
More proof of the fact that the Stones nowadays are a mere shadow of their former selves. Terrible. What a crap CD it is.

My grandfather is a mere shadow of his former self too, as is my father, and even I cannot drink as much as I could 5-10 years ago. But especially my grandfather, grumpy, stubborn and conservative as he may have become over the years, is a man to be proud of. For what he achieved in the past as a baker, and for the effort he does in still making the best of the rest of his life.

Jelle

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 2, 2008 15:50

Gimme Shelter.

Do you own the album?
Seen the film?
Played the album?

Please explain why you think its so shoddy??

Date: April 2, 2008 15:51

I suppose I have to wait a few more days... it will be available in NL 4-4 at bol.com, I hope nothing will go wrong this time, bringing the package to the mailbox already friday or saturday. If it is not friday, this will be the last time I ever pre-ordered something: all previous attempts resulted in me having to wait for the mailman for days, while others were listening to the album they bought in the shop on the date of release...

Jelle

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 2, 2008 15:52

out of my head
already posted my review This soundtrack straight up rocks. Like the way Keef throws in those "Too Rude" licks toward the end of "Shattered". Anyone else notice this. This soundtrack is full of those little things. Keith is the King. So what if he uses the same riffs and licks over and over. Always makes them cool. Bunch of crybabies. This soundtrack is the best live stuff since 78. This thing rocks.

Cool to read this sentence: "Keith is the King".
Have wlways thought so myself.
When they jump on his throat it's the Rock And Roll they're after.

Since I 'ave no dough to buy neither dvd nor cd nor cinema
or train/flight tix, I have bitten i the sour apple
& all those interested might be able to read some short
review of the soundtrack by the one & only Baboon tonight.
From a borrowed copy.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 2, 2008 15:59

Haven't got it yet. I ordered the DeLuxe edition and the Japanese ediion in my local Stereo Studio. The guy behind the counter said that in a week or so, he would probably be able to get the American single disc version too. I told him to put me up for all three. Great part is that I won't get it until Monday. That's good because I'm seeing the movie on Saturday in Imperial, Copenhagen. So I will see the movie first, and get the CDs afterwards. Like it should be. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: April 2, 2008 15:59

Baboon, isn't it true that the Bible indirectly allows, or at least understands, people to steal food if that is needed to keep themselves and their family alive? Translated one-on-one to more contemporary issues, could we not conclude that you are allowed to copy this borrowed disc in order to maintain a certain minimum standard of life? And in order to keep your concious clear you could promis on the Holy Sleeve of Exile to destroy the copy and buy the original as soon as improved circumstances give you the opportunity?

;-)

Jelle

Date: April 2, 2008 16:17

Gonna buy this b*gger after next pay check, be sure, sluissie.
I must admit I'm surprised over the quality of it.
Me, I have gotten weary from downloadin' & copyin'....
I see how I treat the homemade music digital store devices
(particularly cd's) worse than purchased ones.

Here's a brief comment/review------------------------------------------

BABOON's *INITIAL* REVIEW OF SHINE A LIGHT SOUNDTRACK

JJF is just terrific, absolutely most outrageously, fat, greasy, mean & sleazy rendition I ever heard.
Even Chuckie leaves nuthin’ left to wish.
She Was Hot is a mean streaker too, maybe a little tiny bit
too much Western saloon ragtime soundin’ in a few sequences.
Could be rockier.
Some Girls is barbed wire & sex & drugs & rock & roll…
At first it sounds like they’re gonna play Stray Cat Blues This will spin often.
Silver works mighty fine, cool, Mississippi swamp style intro.
Keef’s voice is just over the mountain top. Angel voice from hell.
SAL itself I have troubles with. Jagger has
problems with hittin’ the high notes. and he sounds partly too less engaged, too tensed.
Ronnie is on the go thou. The song survives thanks to
the musical collective, but Mick must reconsider his singin' effort & goal on this one.
Works much much better in the chorus than the rest.
Lurvin’ Cup with Jack White III sounds nice..
I had rathered Keef on co-vocals. Piano works purdy fine.
Champagne & Reefer with Buddy is of course just precious.
Cant even speak about it.
T & A I’ll return to. It’s majestic & a pastoral; no doubt about that.
Brown Sugar works surprisingly well.
I’m Free has a wonderful dialectic interaction choir/Jagger..
Great, semi-laid back rendition

More later.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 2, 2008 17:14

Question: Does this CD have the same annoying copy protection that ABB and Live Licks has, ie, won't be played w/ Windows media player?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: April 2, 2008 18:17

I actually like the Glasgow broadcast a little better. I just think it rocks a little more.

Date: April 2, 2008 19:00

jamesfdouglas
Question: Does this CD have the same annoying copy protection that ABB and Live Licks has, ie, won't be played w/ Windows media player?

I don't know but,VLC media player handles just about everything and it's free.

Posted by: sweetladyjane ()
Date: April 2, 2008 19:51

Simply put, this album makes me feel good and wanna dance. That's my endorsement and I'm stickin' to it. grinning smiley

Actually, I undersold it. It makes me feel great!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-02 20:11 by sweetladyjane.

Date: April 2, 2008 23:13

Anybody else?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-03 00:14 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 2, 2008 23:45

I didn't have any problem with Media player with ABB.

Got my copy of Shine A Light at Best Buy. The Double. I couldn't see any reason to not spend 2 more dollars to have 9 more songs - even if 8 of 9 of them have already been on several past live albums.

I can't stand: JJF - it's terrible. Goddamn. Reminds me of a drunk falling down on his knees while trying to run - still gets up, gets going then BAM, falls on his face, gets back up...just not very good. Loving Cup is...what the hell is the point of Jack White coming on there and cry whining his way through a song? That guy is a singer? Mick grunts his way through this one. I can't believe they put I'm Free on another release. I just don't get that.

Yeah, everyone that says the Stripped Shine A Light is superiour is correct. What the hell is that song after Paint It Black? What did they do to Little T&A?

I think Shattered is pretty good - much better than the version on Still Life. I like Keith's reggae licks thrown in at the end. It's almost as good as the Giants Stadium Voodoo boot. All Down The Line...not as good as the Stripped B-side. But pretty good. She Was Hot is pretty good but Mick kind of hoofs his way through the words and melodies...

Some Girls is excellent. I'm not really happy that he left out that line but whatever, the performance is excellent - very snarly.

What is with Mick doing the girly whoo's in Tumbling Dice and and...there's another one he does it in. Paint It Black? Ugh, that's terrible. Is that cell phone chime thing in Start Me Up again, just like in Licks? I thought I heard it.

Well, overall, it's about as interesting as disc 2 from Live Licks. And it sounds similar to Live Licks. And it even looks similar to Live Licks - no 'The' with the band name, the same layout for the liner notes, grainy pictures...another tongue wrapped in white...not very inventive. At least it's not hacked apart like Live Licks.

Interscope? Polydor. So...which label is it? Both?

I'll give it quite a few more listens and then write a better quip about it.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: April 2, 2008 23:46

I had to go back and pick up the one disc version, which I really like a lot. Very tight setlist, although they probably could've left off SFTD in favor of TD.

And I initially wanted T&A instead of Connection, but the latter definitely works a lot better with Keith's current singing style. I love the way his voice just kind've cascades all over the place. The song itself is a thing of ragged beauty. I'm very, very pleased with "Keith's section" on this.

Nice job of speeding up the band introductions.

Someone mentioned Mick's singing in Far Away Eyes. I love when he takes that manic kind've approach- just spitting the lyrics out.

Keith's laughter in Far Away Eyes.

Mick calling out Buddy Guy; Buddy Guy calling out Mick and Keith. Don't you want this song to never end?

I would say the setlist has "too much Some Girls", but then, I'm not sure that's really possible. As I mentioned previously, Beast of Burden would've been welcome here.

It's 2008 and the Rolling Stones are still putting out stuff like this. Pretty cool.

skipstone
What is with Mick doing the girly whoo's in Tumbling Dice

Oh I loved the "girly whoo's". I like it even more now that I've called them "girly whoo's".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-02 23:50 by cirrhosis.

Date: April 2, 2008 23:55

Ha ha.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 2, 2008 23:58

Love it. Love T&A and Darryls solo part, Connection as much as Shattered, Imagination, etc.
Bit letdown is Keith, horribly solos, hardly any rythm playing. But Ronnie does an excellent job, I really respect him deeply for this performance. I don't care at all for the Warhorses, burned a seperate CD without BS, JJF, SMU and PIB.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 3, 2008 00:00

Im reluctant to just compare this outright to a 78 tour boot like Handsome girls, but there are things about this that remind me of the Passiac Show. It might be because they were both in small clubs. they just have a similar sound to me. It is kind of loose, but Not "all over the place" as some have said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-03 02:50 by ryanpow.

Date: April 3, 2008 00:16

Interesting that Lorenz & Skipstone dont like JJF; for me it's The best here.
Maybe ya guys listen way way too much to ol' crappy boots? winking smiley

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 3, 2008 00:25

Baboon Bro
Interesting that Lorenz & Skipstone dont like JJF; for me it's The best here.
Maybe ya guys listen way way too much to ol' crappy boots? winking smiley

Well, I actually think that JJF is a really good performance except Mick. He is talking his way through the song, that destroys it a bit for me sad smiley

I forgot to say, Champagne and Refeer of course a highlight. Fantastic smiling smiley

Posted by: SFTD ()
Date: April 3, 2008 00:27

Apart from C.A.'s vocals that last too long on Live With Me, I think the double CD sounds just great. There is definitely a rough edge to the sound which reminds me of some boots. Stereo separation is excellent with lots of loud guitars.

Two thumbs up !

SFTD

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 3, 2008 00:30

.....Going to see it in IMAX on Friday, but on first listen through Rhapsody I gotta say:

I heard a lot more piano than I was prepared for...Mick on Some Girls and Faraway Eyes is spectacular while Keith's Silver was magical.....and I am asking the question: should this have been called "Ready for Vegas" rather than Shine A Light?????

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: April 3, 2008 02:19

So why does Mick leave out the black girls line in Some Girls? At first I thought maybe it was to get a PG-13 rating but then he curses in Just My Imagination and Champagne. Has this line been dropped for a while? I'm not really up on this.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 3, 2008 04:17

Very odd sound mix and not balanced at least to my liking. I thought my high-priced Bose headphones were going bad when I heard the guitars. I had to listen to other music on them just to confirm it was not my equipment.

Date: April 3, 2008 05:20

It's not that the performance on this album is bad, to me, of JJF - I just think they bomb their way through it like they have for the past 30 some years. Not to be picky but the Ya-Ya's version has MOVEMENT. It breathes. It has attitude. It has rhythm. Mick actually sings it. And the same for the Gimme Shelter movie version. I'm not stuck in 1969, I just wish they played it good like that. They still tear the shit out of Street Fighting Man. Why do they bomb JJF?

From Love You Live on they've just plowed through it, grunted through it, relied on backing singers, it's gotten a tad bit cheesed up, it's by the numbers, blah blah blah. I just don't like it. And it's quite clear on SAL that they are rushing it - Charlie is all over the place with the kick drum. They play it good, it sounds good, I just don't like the way they do it.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: April 3, 2008 07:22

skipstone

I'm not stuck in 1969

I hate to break it to you, but yes you are.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1452
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home