Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Shine A Light - The Rolling Stones live CD - Reviews
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 31, 2008 21:53

Same here, have even avoided to think about it

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 31, 2008 21:54

Erik_Snow
Same here, have even avoided to think about it

My god, how can I top this?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 31, 2008 21:57

what movie? what soundtrack?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: March 31, 2008 23:18

what band?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 1, 2008 00:47

sweet neo con
what movie? what soundtrack?

Thats two steps in one, not fair!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 1, 2008 01:58

Where am I ?!?

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: April 1, 2008 05:11

already posted my review This soundtrack straight up rocks. Like the way Keef throws in those "Too Rude" licks toward the end of "Shattered". Anyone else notice this. This soundtrack is full of those little things. Keith is the King. So what if he uses the same riffs and licks over and over. Always makes them cool. Bunch of crybabies. This soundtrack is the best live stuff since 78. This thing rocks.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 1, 2008 06:50

Its now available on ITUNES to purchase with Undercover bonus cut. It sounds better than what I downloaded by a mile.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 1, 2008 07:48

Here's a review from a Vancouver newspaper. They don't like it I might add. Only gets 2.5 stars.

[www.canada.com]

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 1, 2008 09:55

interesting review
he/she liked the ballads
got some points on christina's howling (but i like LWM nevertheless)
failed to see that the album is plenty of songs never released live
and SAL is not one of those
well godd for him/her, skipped SFTD among others

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 1, 2008 13:50

ERC6761
i'm confused, at the time of ABB dvd release The Austin concert was touted as the best thing since sliced bread, now a short time later its labelled an atrocity and a diaster

what gives?

Not an atrocity, but the best document from the ABB tour is the unedited Saitama

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 1, 2008 14:23

Bashlets
Its now available on ITUNES to purchase with Undercover bonus cut. It sounds better than what I downloaded by a mile.

Moreover the single disc version on iTunes is 17 songs, adding "Shattered."

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: April 1, 2008 14:28

Just bought it!

Listening right now at last!!

It ROCKS!!!

Date: April 1, 2008 17:43

R
Bashlets

Does it really matter? $11.99 gets you 22 tracks on CD. $11.99 + some widely available free software ( Exact Audio Copy for XP or Express Rip for Vista etc.) gets you 22 tracks in WAV,MP3 @ higher than 192 KBPS without DRM,WMA,and/or OGG.I don't see why you would want to buy it from I Tunes except for maybe Undercover of the Night.There are and will be other ways to get that track in better quality as well.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 1, 2008 18:42

i just got my 2 cd set of SHINE A LIGHT. at best buy

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 1, 2008 19:16

Theif in the Night
R
Bashlets

Does it really matter? $11.99 gets you 22 tracks on CD. $11.99 + some widely available free software ( Exact Audio Copy for XP or Express Rip for Vista etc.) gets you 22 tracks in WAV,MP3 @ higher than 192 KBPS without DRM,WMA,and/or OGG.I don't see why you would want to buy it from I Tunes except for maybe Undercover of the Night.There are and will be other ways to get that track in better quality as well.

Jeez Louise, what do you care in what format I, or anybody, buys an album? FYI, I bought the 2CD set as I prefer the superior sonics and because the vinyl isn't out yet. I'm guessing "Undercover'" will appear on a CD-5.

Posted by: Bitch2 ()
Date: April 1, 2008 19:23

I like the Vancouver sun review its written by a fan and again its a bore only 2 good songs, Band nervous, Mick trying too hard CA a joke... Far away and Shine a Ligth only highligths.. which Im sure one get bored with pretty quickly, which gives it 2.5 of 5 points.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 1, 2008 20:19

I just picked it up on lunch and am only on Shattered, but I thought JJF was the best rendition of it on dsic since Flashpoint - it is the quintessential version I've been waiting for - it's the way it's been played for as long as I've been seeing em - '97. Shattered sounds pretty good. I picked up the single disc as I await the Japanese import's arrival, but any Stones live album that opens with the only song with which to open - JJF - and closes with the only song with which to close - Brown Sugar - is sure to be awesome in my book!!!!

Posted by: lalkrs32 ()
Date: April 1, 2008 20:41

I just bought the cd from best buy- the deluxe version and now I noticed that on Itunes they have undercover listed as track #8 but it's not on mine.Did they give the extra song only on Itunes?

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 1, 2008 21:06

lalkrs32
I just bought the cd from best buy- the deluxe version and now I noticed that on Itunes they have undercover listed as track #8 but it's not on mine.Did they give the extra song only on Itunes?

Yes - and Japan.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 1, 2008 21:35

Listened to it for the first time today. First impression is that Charlie really sounds heavier than ever! Nice!

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 1, 2008 23:03

Champagne & Reefer is worth the price alone!

Overall I'm very impressed with this release, I was gonna take a pass on this because of Bang DVD (only got it cuz I was at Austin) and Live Licks CD (felt really ripped off by this one), but I'm glad I didn't.

Only complaint is the line about Black Girls being dropped in Some Girls.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: April 1, 2008 23:46

rattler2004
Only complaint is the line about Black Girls being dropped in Some Girls.

Same here. The song has such a raunchy sound that political-correctness has no right to enter into it. I read somewhere that the "official" reason was to keep the film's rating down, but Mick's "f*ckin" ad-lib in the very next song kind've debunks that theory.

For some reason, I thought Beast of Burden was going to be on this. So I'm a little disappointed it's not.

R

Shattered is included on the retail version as well. I was surprised, since the preview on "Imeem" omitted it. Basically 4 warhorses and a bunch of "the good stuff". Not bad, considering it's the version most casual fans will buy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-01 23:59 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 1, 2008 23:56

Mick dropped the line about black girls in '99, when they first started playing "Some Girls" in concert. I don't think he's ever sung it live.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: April 2, 2008 00:06

I thought he sang it that way once in `99, while switching it to "white girls" for most of the performances. Probably just the latter, though. At any rate, I still think some girl should like to get f*cked all night in this version.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 2, 2008 02:13

I think the Vancouver review is not that wrong! There are obvious mistakes in it but the writer has his points too.

He's particularly right about the first 2 songs sounding rushed and superficial.
(Plus terrible singing I might add).

Btw their 95 version of Shina a light was so much better than this new one!

But for the most part I still like the album.

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: April 2, 2008 02:15

Absolutely stunning cd. Thank you Rolling Stones for forever burnishing an incredible evening on a fantastic 2 cd set.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: April 2, 2008 06:05

I'm only through All Down the Line so far, but I liked the solo in Shattered with the chunky chords, and Ronnie plays wicked slide in All Down the Line. I was throughly prepared to be underwhelmed by this record, but this thing kicks butt.

As others have mentioned, it's nice to have something official that basically recreates an entire show start to finish--plus a few bonus tracks on the 2 disc version!

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: April 2, 2008 07:16

The only thing about some girls is the line totally missing. That ruined that song for me after finally getting it on an official release live. At least in 99 the line was still there just the white girls and black girls changed spots. I feel let down that it wasn't there at all. As if they lost some of the bad boy attitude. Other than that it's a great release.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 2, 2008 07:28

This is the most fun I've had listening to the stones in a long time. the set list works really well touching on different eras. It captures a funky groove throughout and at the same time is very hard rocking. This is the best recording of Daryl's playing ive ever heard. esp. on Start Me Up.
Champagne and reefer is especially inspiring. I love Mick's vocals on Far Aways, theyre very hurried but he does it on purpose, in a sarcastic way.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-02 07:35 by ryanpow.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1245
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home