Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Shine A Light - The Rolling Stones live CD - Reviews
Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 28, 2008 19:30

Shine A Light : The Rolling Stones live CD.

Please post all your "Shine A Light" live CD reviews here.

Thank you!

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-28 19:33 by bv.

SAL soundtrack my quick review
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 26, 2008 17:34

i found it on a P2P network, i wrote down these impressions while listening to the files for the first time

First one is for sssoul: Connection is there in its entirety and good

1. regular jack flash

2. shattered good

3. we already knows she's hot (damn hot in the end)

4. smoking train down the line

7. somegirls smoking good

8. just my imagination. it takes a little to take this train run away out of the station but then it gloriously wrecks winking smiley

9. faraway eyes sweet noodling

10. champagne @ shivers

11. nice tight dice (not dragged away too long) version (if you need keith you'll find him here)

12. you got the shivers again

1. Scorsese pun on "flames"

2. refuse to even talk about it sad smiley

4. tight me up. do you mean mean mean keith? yes i do, but...

5. ...but hey wait a minute wait a minute... where is the two notes noodling? bs

right now i imagine the newbye that has stumbled on to this music for the first time. wellcome to the breakfast show baby

bs is dragged on too long for my taste but i know what it means be down there shakin the butt

6. satisfaction. keith false start. then it wrecks onto the right trail. but way tooooo much for me. then come the horns... what for? than the end... o my what a hell

7. paint it black. surprisingly "educated" but the end needs to be moooore wild

8. little t&A. what a mess

9. i'm free nice fill

overall:
it's grooving it's hot it is an entire show put in a box with no edits nor overdubs (wow!) like a kind of official bootleg ! so it has its flaws (SFTD a big one as usual lately)
but hey this rocks a lot
one thing that it is clear is that some classics smoke better than ever while some nuggets well they try to...

ups: ADTL, SG, C&R, TD, YGTS, SMU, BS

downs: SFTD, S, PIB, LT&A

cant wait to grab the "real" thing (and see the movie of course!)

Re: SAL soundtrack my quick review
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: March 26, 2008 19:54

It's fantastic in my opionion. Great setlist, great sounds & mix and very good performance overall (yeah, I could complain about Keith at times...)

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: March 26, 2008 19:58

Champagne and Reefer. Holy shit, that is great!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 26, 2008 20:07

Does Jagger ever use his vintage 'snarly' voice in it? (I've not yet heard boots from this show)

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: March 26, 2008 20:42

Shattered starts out with all the vocals in the left channel? Weird.

Date: March 26, 2008 21:09

i think the satisfaction version is awsome

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: March 26, 2008 21:11

The sound is a mess... there is no "nuance".. where is the bass? It's as thin as a knife...

The setlist is interesting, but i'm missing songs from A Bigger Bang.
Shame..

Far Away Eyes is great though, musically.. nice
Still listening to the rest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-26 21:17 by Muddyw.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 26, 2008 21:34

I don't think Bigger Bang songs would have been necessary for this project. I'm glad they left off Undercover for the same reason.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 26, 2008 22:38

Overall I think the set list was great. So glad they went with the second night when they opened with JJF. Start Me Up had its day as the opener and now it seems way too predictable to have there. Or anywhere in the show for that matter. I think it was ok to leave ABB songs out, they obviously lost any desire to play them, although some songs could have fit in nicely if they had been playing them throughout the tour. Let Me Down Slow or Back Of my Hand would have been cool in the small theater. Overall can't complain though.

Date: March 26, 2008 22:42

<no edits nor overdubs (wow!)>

Listen to Keith´s guitar on the choruses on She Was Hot. From noodling to precise and accurate double one string-riffs. I don´t think so. Sounds nice though winking smiley

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: March 26, 2008 23:58

I think it sounds good, I wish it would sound as good when you're actually there. That bothers me about The Stones, it seems like they really don't put in the time and energy to make it sound crisp, live.

Champagne & Reefer....it's nice to have a lead guitarist. cool smiley

Live With Me is better then I thought it was going to be.

Over-all I would give it a 7.5 or 8.0

On some songs, I hate the vocals only in one speaker....that's crazy in todays age.

Date: March 27, 2008 01:15

I´m Free, Far Away Eyes (Keith´s laughter is hilarious >grinning smiley< ), You Got The Silver and Paint It Black are very good.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 27, 2008 01:23

Oh jeeeezzzz..do I download this thing or wait for the movie?? I had no problem getting the sampler it was only a few songs but this is the entire thing.....confused smiley

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 27, 2008 01:42

wait til tuesday and buy the actual disks.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: March 27, 2008 01:46

How did they salvage Connection? Wasn't it a complete "trainwreck" each time they attempted it late in the tour. The bit I heard was hideous. If the overdubbed the crap out of it to make it sound good I'm all for it. I'd love to have a good listenable live rendition to enjoy. So how was Connection? MEZ

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 27, 2008 02:04

There's also an edit in Jumpin' Jack Flash.
Just after the first chorus, at 00:55.
Could they have used both nights versions to create one track or has something been removed?

Date: March 27, 2008 02:21

about editing and overdubbing you probably are more smart and expert than me
only thing i ask is
what is exactly the point in make these precise overdubbling you both point at and then leave so many other problems so evident
not to speak of SFTD where you could argue that there are so many flaws that the only thing to do would be to overdub the entire keith solo
wait is this not what they did on Live at the max?

there has been probably a lot of work for the engeneer on the tracks but i need more evidence for overdubs

you know something like Austin

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 27, 2008 02:40

Does anyone have the live Voodoo DVD? Is the solo in SFTD that Keith screws up big time still...screwed up? Or did they fix it or edit it out?

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: March 27, 2008 04:06

I am listening to the download right now and didnt really know what to expect. Well kind of from the samples that have been circulating. This is easily the best since Ft Worth 78. Even though that is not an official release it is the last time they sounded this pure. Maybe 81 too. But then that was it. Until now. The rawness and pure rock and roll just oozes out of the speakers like it used to. I have been waiting for something like this. Pure unadulterated Stones rock and roll. Sounds very good. Easily one of their best live official releases. DVD or otherwise. I love it. Thank you Stones and thank you Scorcese for bringing the grit back. Everything I love the Stones for is what this is. It's stuff like this that should remind us all why the Stones are and will always be the greatest rock and roll band in the world. Raw, gritty, bluesy, honky-tonkin, rockin and rollin.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 27, 2008 05:36

Any more reviews? Some review copies out there on board?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 27, 2008 06:56

Well I buckled and downloaded the full album. Last night I listened to the sampler and as my review for that said--I was worried and a bit dissapointed with the results. See that thread as to why.

Listening to the other selections was like night and day. Having those 6 songs as the sampler did not do a good job of representing the rest of the album. The sound is loud and wonderful. It's a great way to listen to the band: in a smaller space like a theatre where it's more intimate instead of the large and echo-ey sound of a stadium or arena. Basically, the Stones play better when the stage is not the size of the width of a football field. Somehow the close proximity of the members on the band literally makes for tighter results for the music.

I was very relieved to hear that Mick's vocals were not as grating as in the songs I heard in the sampler. "Shattered" is fast like a locomotive. I am so glad we get a new live versin of this song. Great vocals by Mick. "Just My Imagination" is so very fresh. We were lucky to get a version which is the song rehearsed enough to be played very well but not past the point where it's been overplayed and lost its magic. I've always viewed the Stones and new songs like opening a can of soda. The soda still has its energy and taste for about 30 minutes and then after a couple hours...the soda has gone flat after being out in the open too long. Keith does his usual noodling with touches of his lazy long bend sprinkled here and there. The middle part is so great because Charlie is keeping the groove so nicely. Again, this song is all about the groove and it should only be played in small venues.

"Far Away Eyes" is just what the doctor ordered. My God. For hardcore fans like all of us....you can't help but love it. Keith does some nice country fills. And you can hear the crowd cheer at the end when Mick and Keith share the mic. You can't help but smile. Hell...I'm just LISTENING to the audio and I'm already enjoying the sight of Mick and Keith singing side by side.

"Champagne and Reefer"...absolutely brilliant. Great groove. You listen to the first 3 seconds and you're in love with this groove. Wow. For many, this song will be worth buying the release either the single, double or Japanese version. Buddy gives me @#$%& shivers when he starts singing. He's got that Muddy growl and it's grabs you by the balls. Mick's harmonica has a touch of an effect on it which makes it chunky and fat. Lovely. Buddy plays his usual great self. I read that Keith gave him his guitar he was playing after Buddy played. Said it was the first time he gave away a guitar. I'll have to see in the movie....

"You Got The Silver" nice vocal by Keith. But I really wish Keith would play the guitar on this. This song doesn't have the groove as it did in '99 when Keith and Ronnie would share guitar responsibilities. Here, all the weight is on Ronnie and he rushes through the guitar parts because if he took his time--it would sound empty and alone. It's a good version...no one would prolly notice this...but thought I'd share it. Grade: B+

"Connection"...meh Everyone in the band seems to know the song well enough---except Keith. Very rushed and very very nervous version.

All in all....this is what I was hoping to get from my guys. I am relieved it turned out well. I really wanna get the Japanese version because I really love "Undercover of the Night." Either way, the Beacon shows were such a great idea to record. This is how I want the Stones to sound.

Posted by: Simon ()
Date: March 27, 2008 10:13

anyone heard, if this is availible on lp?

Date: March 27, 2008 12:05

i was curious too but i've heard no word of a vynil release i'll ask my music shop man
ah of course i'll buy the "real thing" but could not resist the tempt of a sneak prelisten
after some spins the only real down point to all this is that i feel pretty "saturated" with live release of the stones
this is on a different level of things like live licks of course
and as a one night shot recorded, unedited and shipped it is probably as good as they can and maybe as ever
still one more time i will have to make my "edited" copy of a stones release and that bothers me
thank scorsese that have refused to do rio and bring the boys to the theatre to give their best
i completely agree with Justin when he connects the scale of the show to the quality and this is a lot because if they were washed out it would probably be quite the opposite
surprisingly good are the duets - which i normally hate - i mean LC and LWM because C&R is not a duet but THE blues jam.
i am looking forward to see the movie and to listen full throttle to the record

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 27, 2008 13:48

Connection to me is great, and I can be a great Keith basher. It's raw and punky. Theyt truly are a great garage band.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 27, 2008 13:49

Sounds terrific, BAshlet. Thank ya, Justin, too!

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: March 27, 2008 13:53

Justin
"Connection"...meh Everyone in the band seems to know the song well enough---except Keith. Very rushed and very very nervous version.

thats what asking keith richards to play sing AND read from an autocue does! it was most strange to see- i'll wait for the disks to hear it again!

OLDKR

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 27, 2008 14:42

Why on earth would Mick call Buddy Guy "Buddy motherf**ker Guy"? And why on earth would anyone decide to leave this phrase on the CD?
Is this a way to pay a compliment that I don't (want to) understand?
Is this a way to bring "New York" into the movie (after a brilliant Chicago moment)?
Or is Mick just trying to be funny?

I think it is not an appropriate way to pay respect to one of the old blues legends, but it might be my misunderstanding of the language.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 27, 2008 16:10

i think it's a pretty widely-accepted sign of homage, marcovandereijk.
people say "the Rolling @#$%& Stones" in the same sort of way.
it's not at all like calling someone a motherfvcker -
but it's probably not a "safe" expression to try out in conversation if one's unsure how to use it :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-27 16:15 by with sssoul.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 27, 2008 16:16

Ain't it strange how some things grow to be accepted?

It sounds kind of stupid to my ears to express ones feelings this way. I guess the English vocabulary has a lot of better words to pay homage?

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home