Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1972 Dallas rehearsals
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 27, 2008 14:30

Personally I think neither the recordings themselves (as I remember them; I got the CD) nor Greenfield's account are enough proof of their Dallas '72 origins. But retired_dog's story was convincing.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 27, 2008 16:16

Math--I totally buy that take--I think you're spot on

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 4, 2009 15:18

"He has more material than the stuff which appeared on bootlegs"
I always thought what's been "handed" to Scorpio Records was a sort of "worst-of" of the June 23 tapes. All the boring/unimportant stuff is here, all the inspired music isn't.
Hopefully Jagger will acquire this tape for an official release... I don't think the owner of the tape will torrent them freely ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-04 20:02 by dcba.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: February 4, 2009 15:28

Bottom line is the CDs are not a good listen. I remember how excited I was to acquire them, and how disappointed I was when I put them on. They have rarely come off the shelf since.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 4, 2009 15:42

yeah Let It Loose sounds like it was "close" to being the rare song played during the filming...pity they went for Dead Flowers instead (safer as was mentioned before - easy to play). LIL would have been brilliant with Jagger sitting alone on a stool....or even on piano!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 4, 2009 15:53

Of course they are the Dallas rehearsals, theres even a "snippet" of "Dont Lie To Me" which they would perform in Ft Worth only. The sound is clear but very unbalanced with Micks volume overbearing(which ruins it for me). One thing that has been very annoying over the years is this "Let It Loose" take being released on so many cds as a true Exile outtake(but thats just me!)

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: February 4, 2009 22:02

retired_dog
I know the guy who owns the original reel-to-reel tapes from these sessions. He has more material than the stuff which appeared on bootlegs. He copied a couple of reels on digital tape for a friend with the aim that this friend should try to unearth other rare uncirculating Stones tapes that people were sitting on at the time.

So is there some possibility that the remainder would be widely shared?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 4, 2009 22:17

"So is there some possibility that the remainder would be widely shared?"

Cough up the green and it will! ;-)

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 25, 2019 19:39

Revisited these recordings today. Lots of Keith Richards lead guitar too.

I take it the guy Retired Dog knows hasn’t released any other tapes? drinking smiley

Does anybody else experience the channels flipping after the first song? First, the guitar is on the right and keys are on the left then the channels flip, or something like that. Strange.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: September 26, 2019 06:34

What I gather, from Greenfield, is that the Dallas rehearsal wasn't planned but called, at Keith's insistence, after a "subdued" performance in Kansas City.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: September 26, 2019 10:08

dcba
I always thought what's been "handed" to Scorpio Records was a sort of "worst-of" of the June 23 tapes. All the boring/unimportant stuff is here, all the inspired music isn't.
Hopefully Jagger will acquire this tape for an official release... I don't think the owner of the tape will torrent them freely ;-)

Question is, if that guy actually bought all the tapes why did he only release the 'leftovers'? And why isn't it possible to publish at least a list of all the recordings even if they cannot be released because of copyright issues?

Sorry to ask, but I'm a Bill Wyman kind of guy, kind of an archivist...

Date: September 26, 2019 15:03

saltoftheearth
dcba

Question is, if that guy actually bought all the tapes why did he only release the 'leftovers'? And why isn't it possible to publish at least a list of all the recordings even if they cannot be released because of copyright issues?

Sorry to ask, but I'm a Bill Wyman kind of guy, kind of an archivist...

Earlier in the thread RetiredDog mentioned his friend owns the tapes and only traded a few of them to a collector in hopes of acquiring some more unheard stuff.

Hopefully they release it all one day or at least share what’s included.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 27, 2019 19:27

[www.youtube.com]

Mick Taylor Keith Richards Rehearsals Gimme Shelter 1972 - June 23rd 1972 Dallas
Rehersals

Date: September 30, 2019 16:14

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Mick Taylor Keith Richards Rehearsals Gimme Shelter 1972 - June 23rd 1972 Dallas
Rehersals

Lots of great guitar work from both players on these tunes.

Does anybody know who is really playing what? Mathjis, DP? There is some really tasty lead guitar work that doesn't sound like Taylor, so I'm assuming it's Richards? "Key To The Highway", "Jungle Disease", "Tar And Feathered Blues", "Whips Crack" (almost sounds like YCAGWYW), "Tiger Snarl".

I guess they couldn't really trade leads much live because Richards was in open tunings most of the time. I think that' the real reason there was so much separation between rhythm and lead. I think that's one of the reasons I enjoy these recordings so much: you get to hear them in opposite roles, much more Richards lead and Taylor rhythm. Or are they trading guitars?

It's strange the stereo image of this boot (at least the one I have) keeps reversing. Richards starts on the left w/ Hopkins on the right, next song the whole image is flipped. On "Tar And Feathered", Taylor comes in playing rhythm (he has a really crunchy tone that I love on these recordings) and is on the left with Hopkins. Then it seems it is reversed again when "Blues Jam" starts and Taylor takes over lead. I am convinced Taylor is always panned to the side with Hopkins and Richards is the opposite. I think it stays that way for the remainder.

Or maybe it's better to say the Les Paul is on the side of Hopkins and the Strat is on the opposite side. confused smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-30 16:17 by TravelinMan.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home