Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1972 Dallas rehearsals
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 25, 2008 20:58

For those of you who have heard the rehearsals cut in Dallas on the eve of Ladies and Gentleman being filmed, is it odd (to anyone else) that Dead Flowers doesn't appear? (at least I've never heard it) It wasn't being played on tour, but in the movie it's incredibly tight.

Re: 1972 Dallas rehearsals
Posted by: Outtake ()
Date: February 25, 2008 21:25

No it's not odd to me. It was most likely rehearsed, but just not recorded (or has not surfaced yet)

Date: February 25, 2008 21:29

that's what I sort of figured--but to get it into shape as well as they did, it seems like it would have had to be worked pretty good a number of times over--and they didn't book that much rehearsal time so i was just curious why all those great, elongated blues things were noodled with--but nary a hint of DF on the stuff that's out there

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 25, 2008 21:33

didnt they rehearse ''Let it loose''? i do think know i have the bootleg somewhere

Date: February 25, 2008 21:57

yeah, let it loose was all over it--monkey man... all sorts of stuff--but no dead flowers! smiling smiley

Posted by: Des ()
Date: February 25, 2008 23:28

....they rehearsed???? (lol). Was this after the opening night??? I went to the opening night....I thought that was a rehearsal?

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 26, 2008 01:57

Here is the list of songs on the dallas boot;
DAC-008-Dallas Rehearsals 1972-Sumet-Burnet Recording Studio, Dallas, Texas, June 23, 1972

1. Jungle Disease
2. Jungle Disease
3. Tar and Feathered Blues
4. Hat Off To Slim Harpo
5. Let It Loose
6. Gimme Shelter
7. Jam
8. Ventilator Blues
9. Ventilator Blues
10. Delta Slide
11. Memphis Jam
12. Sweet Black Angel/Don't Lie TO Me
13. Tabasco Jam
14. Shake Your Hips
15. Let It Loose
16. Texarkana Jam
17. Shave 'Em Dry
18. Key To The Highway
19. 32-20 Blues
20. When You Got A Good Friend
21. Torn And Frayed
22. The Last Time
23. Satisfaction
24. Monkey Man
25. Whip's Crack & Tiger's Snarl

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 26, 2008 04:48

They'd been playing it live for a couple of years before that tour. It's not like they never played it. They were good back then. Not a whole lot of rehearsal time was needed or desired. I'm sure they dusted it off for the movie and for the locale.

Date: February 26, 2008 05:28

well, they'd played it on tour in 71, but still, in the movie it seems incredibly polished, I think

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 26, 2008 05:44

cds suck...nothing special.

JR

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: February 26, 2008 05:51

any You Tube clips from Ladies & Gentlemen??????????????

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: February 26, 2008 10:46

I don't even think that these recordings are the true "Dallas Rehearsals". I think Martin Elliot is right in assuming that these tracks are rehearsals or tryout versions done for Exile on Main Street.

Just listen to the many versions of "Let it Loose", and you'll hear that Mick is still refining his vocals for the definitive version.

As lost recordings from Nellecote or Sunset Sound the "Dallas Rehearsals" become a whole different thing. You hear them getting hot for some fresh recordings...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 26, 2008 11:13

Greenblues
I don't even think that these recordings are the true "Dallas Rehearsals". I think Martin Elliot is right in assuming that these tracks are rehearsals or tryout versions done for Exile on Main Street.

Just listen to the many versions of "Let it Loose", and you'll hear that Mick is still refining his vocals for the definitive version.

As lost recordings from Nellecote or Sunset Sound the "Dallas Rehearsals" become a whole different thing. You hear them getting hot for some fresh recordings...

These recordings truly are the Dallas Rehearsels. Robert Greenfield describes the session quite well, and the recording of the sessions follows the description of Greenfield.

This session was only to rehearse some songs specially for the movie, and they came out with Dead Flowers and Sweet Black Angel (of which you can hear a 5 second snippet in the recording of the session).

Mathijs

Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: February 26, 2008 11:35

Greenblues

count me in Greenblues - that's what I always said. No matter what Robert Greenfield is describing (I can't remember to be honest) - when the recordings first came in circulation my first information was "Exile"-sessios and when I listen to this stuff I'd bet it's not a tour-rehearsal in between the middle of a tour.

silkcut

Posted by: Outtake ()
Date: February 26, 2008 11:54

720623A 23rd June: Dallas, Texas, Sumet-Burnet Recording Studio. Tour-rehearsals.
- (Jungle Disease) Jam 1 1.33
- (Jungle Disease) Jam 2 3.30
- Blues Jam 5.20 -instrumental
- Slim Harpo Jam 3.11 -instrumental
- Let It Loose 1 (MJ/KR) 0.20 -guitar only
- Let It Loose 2 (MJ/KR) 0.44 -instrumental, broken off
- Let It Loose 3 (MJ/KR) 1.22 -broken off
- Let It Loose 4 (MJ/KR) 1.40 -instrumental, broken off
- Let It Loose 5 (MJ/KR) 4.00 -broken off
- Let It Loose 6 (MJ/KR) 2.55 -middle part only
- Blues Jam 1.11 -instrumental
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) 3.10 -instrumental
- Jam 2.17 -instrumental
- Ventilator Blues 1 (MT/Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) 5.46
- Ventilator Blues 2 (MT/Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) 3.03
- Jam 1.40 -instrumental
- Sweet Black Angel (MJ/KR) 2.40 -instrumental
- Don't Lie To Me (Chuck Berry) 0.23
- Shake Your Hips 1 (James Moore) 1.10 -broken off
- Shake Your Hips 2 (James Moore) 3.38
- Let It Loose 7 (MJ/KR) 3.43
- Let It Loose 8 (MJ/KR) 0.40 -instrumental
- Shave 'Em Dry (Trad.) 0.26
- Key To The Highway (William Broonzy/Charles Segar) 5.58
- 32-20 Blues (Robert Johnson) 1.42
- When You Got A Good Friend (Robert Johnson) 2.10
- Torn And Frayed 1 (MJ/KR) 0.28 -broken off
- Torn And Frayed 2 (MJ/KR) -0.40 -instrumental, broken off
- Torn And Frayed 3 (MJ/KR) -3.40 -instrumental
- Rock Jam 0.38 -instrumental
- The Last Time (MJ/KR) 0.20 -guitar only
- Satisfaction 1 (MJ/KR) 4.41 -instrumental
- Satisfaction 2 (MJ/KR) 2.40 -instrumental
- Monkey Man (MJ/KR) 2.42 -instrumental
- (Whip's Crack) Jam 5.10 -instrumental
- (Tiger Snarl) Jam 1.50 -instrumental
+ lots of tuning

Zentgraf is correct 999 times out of 1000. Besides that, the session sounds like it was recorded on a single day / night. I can't image that the band fools around with about 20 different songs during one RECORDING session. Nothing good will come out of that. It was common for them to practice / record different takes of just ONE (or maybe two) song(s) during a session (e.g. Sympathy for the devil in One plus One). But TOUR REHEARSALS were done in a different matter. They just played numurous songs for a few times.

Date: February 26, 2008 11:57

Mathijs

These recordings truly are the Dallas Rehearsels. Robert Greenfield describes the session quite well, and the recording of the sessions follows the description of Greenfield.

Mathijs

Thanks for the Info, Mathijs!
I must have somehow overlooked this when reading Greenfields book.

But still - just like silkcut says - on a gut level these sessions just don't feel like tour rehearsals to me. Hmm, strange thing...

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: February 26, 2008 13:27

Of course they are rehearsals...
They even rehearsed Sweet Black Angel and Don't Lie To Me which were both played the day after in Fort Worth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-26 13:36 by mitch.

Date: February 26, 2008 13:56

Greenblues

But still - just like silkcut says - on a gut level these sessions just don't feel like tour rehearsals to me. Hmm, strange thing...

To me the session sounds like a dead tired, drunk and stoned out band trying to remember the songs they recorded half a year ago while half the band is missing. It's not really a tour rehearsel, it's a late night session midway in the tour to dig up some interesting song especially for the planned movie of the tour, being shot the next day.

Mathijs

Date: February 26, 2008 14:16

Mathijs
Greenblues

To me the session sounds like a dead tired, drunk and stoned out band trying to remember the songs they recorded half a year ago while half the band is missing. [...]

Mathijs

Good picture, makes sense to me!

And if you listen to "Sweet Black Angel" from Fort Worth the lack of "proper" rehearsal did show the next day... ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-26 14:30 by Greenblues.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 26, 2008 15:51

I know the guy who owns the original reel-to-reel tapes from these sessions. He has more material than the stuff which appeared on bootlegs. He copied a couple of reels on digital tape for a friend with the aim that this friend should try to unearth other rare uncirculating Stones tapes that people were sitting on at the time. The tapes were discovered by a 50's Rock'n'Roll / Rockabilly collector from Germany who found them in a recording studio during one of his trips to the States, trying to find rare records and forgotten studio tapes from the 50's era. The Stones tape find was pure coincidence. My friend who bought the tapes from this Rock'n'Roll/Rockabilly collector also received a couple of b-w photos of the Stones during this session as a further proof of authenticity.

Mathijs' suggestion that the

"session sounds like a dead tired, drunk and stoned out band trying to remember the songs they recorded half a year ago while half the band is missing. It's not really a tour rehearsel, it's a late night session midway in the tour to dig up some interesting song especially for the planned movie of the tour, being shot the next day"

is spot-on. It's exactly the story that accompanied these tapes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-26 15:53 by retired_dog.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: February 26, 2008 16:01

Mathijs is a doctor es-stones, he proves it every time.

Date: February 26, 2008 17:17

to the original question though--where is some hint of dead flowers in that session? it sounds so well rehearsed in the show, i still find it strange.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 26, 2008 17:49

hbwriter
to the original question though--where is some hint of dead flowers in that session? it sounds so well rehearsed in the show, i still find it strange.

The hint of Dead Flowers in that session is in the reels that do not circulate. It was indeed rehearsed and of course recorded. The circulating portion comes from later on in the session/rehearsal when not all band members were present anymore and the rest of the band was "dead tired and/or drunk and/or stoned out".

However, most interesting for historians is the fact that Let It Loose was indeed rehearsed for a concert appearance (and repeatedly throughout the entire session, as there are also "more together" versions from the earlier stages of the rehearsal), but scrapped in the last minute and waiting for it's live debut until now. There are also more rehearsal takes of "Sweet Black Angel" on tape, some of them even complete, and this is a tune that actually made it to a one-off live appearance (but it's not featured in the movie, as we know). For the movie, they obviously chose a song which was "safer", easier to play than Let It Loose and Sweet Black Angel: Dead Flowers - which only needed to be dusted off a bit as it was already played on stage in 1970 & 1971.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-26 17:53 by retired_dog.

Date: February 26, 2008 19:40

Thanks for the most interesting background info, retired dog!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-27 11:34 by Greenblues.

Posted by: stoneslib ()
Date: February 26, 2008 20:30

Although unlikely, Let It Loose could have been played in Houston, as we still lack full recordings of either 6/25/72 show that would make the definitive call on a Sunday rarity tune.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 26, 2008 20:44

We have to find out!!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 27, 2008 01:03

Thanks for the insights, Retired Dog.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: February 27, 2008 02:14

retired_dog
I know the guy who owns the original reel-to-reel tapes from these sessions. He has more material than the stuff which appeared on bootlegs. He copied a couple of reels on digital tape for a friend with the aim that this friend should try to unearth other rare uncirculating Stones tapes that people were sitting on at the time.

Did his plan work? What was unearthed?

Posted by: KingBee ()
Date: February 27, 2008 04:12

Wow, Shave ´em Dry, very special lyrics...

Would love to hear it come out of the Mickster´s mouth!

Date: February 27, 2008 13:37

hbwriter

Three of the songs rehearsed at the sessions showed up in actual shows: Don't Lie To Me, Sweet Black Angel and Dead Flowers. The first two sound very unrehearsed, while Dead Flowers sounds fine. I think that has to do with the simplicity of the song (in the end, it's just three chords) and the fact that they played it on two previous tours.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2074
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home