Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The First Barbarians
Posted by: Jocke ()
Date: February 20, 2008 20:56

Is "The First Barbarians: Live from Kilburn" and "I've got my own album to do" any good? Thinking of buy them

Re: The First Barbarians
Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 20, 2008 21:08

You can see an earlier post on it here

And I've Got My Own Album To Do is a very good album indeed! The Kilburn concert is promo for that album.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-20 21:10 by audun-eg.

Date: February 20, 2008 21:08

Thanks!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 20, 2008 21:18

"I've Got My Own Album To Do" is great. A wonderful cross-section between The Faces and The Stones. Stones fans will likely love "I Can Feel the Fire" a nice reggae rocker with Jagger and Wood trading vocals and Wood and Richards on guitar. It comes from the same session that gave us "Its Only Rock 'n' Roll." Keith wrote and sings "Sure the One You Need" which covers the missing Keith lead vocal from the IORR sessions. "Am I Grooving You" is a great Bert Berns-Jeff Barry tune that sees Ronnie, Keith, and Mick trading vocals and licks and is my favorite track on the album. Ronnie also plays a nice blues harp on it. "Act Together" is a classic Jagger/Richards ballad never released by the Stones. Wood handles lead vocals with Keith singing harmony. The organ and gospel backing vocals strongly recall "Let It Loose" from EXILE. Finally, one of Woody's originals, "Cancel Everything" is a classic ballad that would have suited Rod in the early 70s. Woody and Keith share harmony vocals on much of the track. Rod himself shines on "Take a Look at the Guy." Mick Taylor also plays on several tracks. A rootsy party album with plenty of Faces and Stones contributions to interest fans of either. Highly recommended. The First Barbarians is an after the fact name for the showcase concerts Ronnie put on for Warner Bros. Records to promote his first solo album. You pretty much get Ronnie's album live with one track otherwise unavailable (a solid, but unremarkable Woody original called "Forever"). Slightly better quality than the famous bootleg THE RETURN OF WOODY WOODBRAKER, but in no way does the recording meet a major label's quality standards. Worth getting once you have Woody's other albums, but it should be considered an official bootleg.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 20, 2008 21:31

>> Slightly better quality <<

well yeah - plus the footage of the whole beautiful show!
it's raggedy quality, but the black & white parts are gorgeous, and it's such a joy
to finally have the complete concert. oh and that Monkey Man/Shirley is totally hot!

in other words: I've Got My Own Album to Do is brilliant, and The First Barbarians are great.
get 'em both by all means - but do get the CD+DVD of the First Barbarians, not just the audio download.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-20 21:52 by with sssoul.

Date: February 20, 2008 21:41

Thank you guys winking smiley

Posted by: john r ()
Date: February 20, 2008 23:25

The New Barbarians' ('79) version of 'Am I Grooving You' has to be heard to be believed - ten minutes of dub/funk 'n' roll.

Date: February 21, 2008 00:46

>> The New Barbarians' ('79) version of 'Am I Grooving You'
has to be heard to be believed - ten minutes of dub/funk 'n' roll. <<

~*YEAH!*~
as Rocky Dijon's noted the studio version is mighty hot, and the so-called First Barbarians do it good too.
apparently it was Keith who suggested it to Ronnie, because he likes playing oldies.
and although i don't normally indulge in setlist-wishing, a Stones show opening with this one,
with a 3-way shared lead, would be ... my my my

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-21 01:00 by with sssoul.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 21, 2008 00:51

Yeah, ...When I bury my face in your.....am I groovin' you! WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 21, 2008 01:11

Freddie Scott's piston pushin' soul version
of Am I Grooving You from 1967 is well worth trackin' down...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 21, 2008 01:21

Hey,with sssoul and Rockman I was so stoned when I saw the Barbarians in Ft. Worth 79(great boot) and uneducated about bass players I thought didnt Hendrix die and when did he start playing bass!! From the balcony it was kinda weird!!

Date: February 21, 2008 01:31

Musta been a gooooooooooooooood stone...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 21, 2008 01:42

I like the back cover of I've Got My Own Album to Do.
Magnificent guys including Chuch- Royden W. Magee around the house.

Date: February 21, 2008 01:51

ROCKMAN

Date: February 21, 2008 02:04

Yeah, Rockman! Always rolled up a "lid" (does that date me?) to take to the Convention Center but on this occasion we had just bought an ounce of hash. Now that spiked up the joints a little!!HA HA!

Date: February 21, 2008 02:05

>> the Barbarians in Ft. Worth 79 (great boot) <<

yeah that is a good one - and indeed it sounds like you were seriously *out there* smoking smiley
a couple of photos to refresh your memory ...

- both probably Ft Worth may 13th 1979, both by Henry Diltz

the Barbarians blew the roof off in Houston too - maybe Bobby made sure they did Texas proud and vice versa.

Date: February 21, 2008 02:13

Yeah sssoul,of course in those days that was just my typical "state of mind" for a concert! I remember all my friend bitchin' afterwards about the "special guests" but I was in heaven hearing Keith do Apt#9 and of course all Rons solo stuff. I went home with such a BEAUTIFUL BUZZZZZZZ! Thanks for the great memories via the pics!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 21, 2008 02:14

Hmmm, I agree, The Barbarians in Texas were really good, I'd say even better than Barbarians in Maryland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-21 02:15 by Erik_Snow.

Date: February 21, 2008 02:23

>> I remember all my friend bitchin' afterwards about the "special guests" <<

yeah, all that "special guests" jazz was really a seriously lousy promotion idea -
although after i heard the Milwaukee boot, i decided the riots there weren't over any lack of "special guests" -
just that the crowd went berserk screaming more and more (while 1500 waited outside the door)
ahem, i mean: Milwaukee was another extreeeemely hot Barbarian show.

i freakin love the New Barbarians

- possibly Houston may 12th 1979 (don't know who took it, sorry!
and i sure wish i did - i love this shot)

Date: February 21, 2008 04:39

Erik_Snow
Hmmm, I agree, The Barbarians in Texas were really good, I'd say even better than Barbarians in Maryland
Yeah, Erik I always wished the Ft. Worth show was available in SB(and maybe it is in Rons vault since so many others were recorded?)
Ah, sssoul if only I had known you when!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 21, 2008 16:05

The recording is nice, but it is not overwhelming, it was probably great to be there, but although I like Ronnie's solowork I never lisren to the first Barbarians.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 21, 2008 16:15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-26 01:27 by Toru A.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: February 25, 2008 17:28

I just finally found a CD copy of "I've Got My Own Album To Do"...I listened to it all weekend...definitely worth buying.

PECMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home