Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1969 American Tour ; Let It Bleed Book from Ethan Russell
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: February 19, 2008 21:33

X

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-20 20:54 by UrbanSteel.

Re: 1969 American Tour ; Let It Bleed Book from Ethan Russell
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: February 19, 2008 21:40

Many thanks for this Urban Steel !

Re: 1969 American Tour ; Let It Bleed Book from Ethan Russel
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 19, 2008 21:43

Wohoo! Beautiful! Hadn't seen many of those before. Too much to comment on, but I loved the ones from Steven Stills' house, which I've read about in Booth's book, but never seen pictures of. That's where they rehearsed stuff like Let It Bleed (the song) which they never played on tour. And watch Richards' skeleton dance pose in the MSG shot. Beautiful boots as well.

Thanx for posting!
Thanx to Russell for putting them in a book that costs a fortune...

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 19, 2008 21:46

The Steven Stills house--(was up there once--unchanged from the '69 photos)

[maps.google.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-19 21:48 by hbwriter.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 20, 2008 02:02

Helter's first concerts - The LA Forum, November 8th, 1969.... what a joy to see these shots , truly a magical tour - NEVER to be repeated, Thanks UrbanSteel !!!

Posted by: Harlix ()
Date: February 20, 2008 02:18

Interesting reading and great pics. Thanks a lot UrbanSteel thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-20 02:25 by Harlix.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 20, 2008 16:22

I would love to have this book, but it's simply too expensive. All the pics I've seen from it look amazing.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 20, 2008 18:00

Whew! Yeah, thanks for all these. Some random thoughts: For being such an important tour for the band from all I've read it was only mildly rehearsed. That may explain the vitality of the performances on that tour. It is a credit to the musicianship of the band at that time. Listening to the band from west coast to east is an exciting demonstration of its evolving personal and musical dynamics

My first Stones show was LA, 2nd. No wonder the 2nd show started so late. It looks like lots was going on backstage. I sat middle floor, about 3/4 of the way back. Early in the 2nd show there was some sort of event in front of the stage. I could not see it and never knew what it was about. You can hear it on the boots from that show. I wonder if that photograph of fans rushing the stage was that event from that show?

The photgraph above the "Bad Scene" title shows the taper source of the Altamont audience recording. See the guy on the right at the stage in the brown leather jacket? The taper is two heads behind (above) him. He's also wearing glasses. I applaud his tenacity in getting that recording. When the scuffle breaks out during SFTD he's in the thick of it. You can also hear THAT on his recording. At various times during the GS movie you can see his recorder.

My favorite tour, by far. It was the band at its sexiest, musical and otherwise.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: February 22, 2008 09:20

Ethan will appear & show his work in SF on March 1...seems everyone who took photos or created artwork for lp covers in the good old days are cashing in on their work...I think it is great to meet these guys and see their work displayed properly...always brings back great memories...but I have found that in the past 10 years or so, the prices have gone thru the roof...I think you can ask whatever you want for an 'original' painting...but some of these 'limited' edition books & prints are quite pricey considering how many are offered for sale...a 'limited edition' of 100 copies might be a great investment at any price...but editions of 1000-3000 seems to be a big gamble if you're hoping to own a rare item that will increase in value over the next 20 years...of course if $$ is no object, this post is not for you...just thinking out loud here.....peter

Posted by: brass olive ()
Date: February 22, 2008 15:15

brillant - thanks alot...

Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: February 22, 2008 17:02

Great shots from a great time for the band...a period where they were truly relevant!

Posted by: keefan4ever ()
Date: February 22, 2008 17:14

awesome thanks for posting, this is prob all i will ever get to see of this book, i'd love to have it but the price is insane

Posted by: dph ()
Date: February 23, 2008 03:54

pmk251
The photgraph above the "Bad Scene" title shows the taper source of the Altamont audience recording. See the guy on the right at the stage in the brown leather jacket? The taper is two heads behind (above) him. He's also wearing glasses. I applaud his tenacity in getting that recording. When the scuffle breaks out during SFTD he's in the thick of it. You can also hear THAT on his recording. At various times during the GS movie you can see his recorder.
I have Ethan Russell's 1985 book "Dear Mr. Fantasy," which has photos and text of all the bands he knew and photographed. Not that many Stones photos but it has this one. Imagine my surprise when, looking for the taper, I actually saw him!

There's also another guy in the front with a tape recorder who has dark hair and a short beard. I've only seen him in one photo, in the 1975 Rolling Stone Magazine compilation of Stones articles. Maybe he was working with this guy.

Anyway, there are 7 used copies of the 1985 book in varying condition at Amazon now: [www.amazon.com]. Highly recommended.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 2, 2008 22:03

peter
Ethan will appear & show his work in SF on March 1...seems everyone who took photos or created artwork for lp covers in the good old days are cashing in on their work...I think it is great to meet these guys and see their work displayed properly...always brings back great memories...but I have found that in the past 10 years or so, the prices have gone thru the roof...I think you can ask whatever you want for an 'original' painting...but some of these 'limited' edition books & prints are quite pricey considering how many are offered for sale...a 'limited edition' of 100 copies might be a great investment at any price...but editions of 1000-3000 seems to be a big gamble if you're hoping to own a rare item that will increase in value over the next 20 years...of course if $$ is no object, this post is not for you...just thinking out loud here.....peter

The pictures will appear all month at the San Francisco Art Exchange. According to the story in the SF Chronicle yesterday.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 2, 2008 22:07

Back in the '60s, Ethan Russell was a recent college graduate living in a one-room flat in London, working as a volunteer at a school for autistic children and wondering what he was going to do with his life, when he started photographing the Rolling Stones.

A friend from Berkeley visiting London knew Jonathan Cott, a writer for Rolling Stone magazine with an assignment to interview Mick Jagger. Russell, who had never taken a professional photograph before, went along to shoot the piece.

Russell caught the Rolling Stones at a historic juncture. He took some of the last photos ever taken of Brian Jones, before the founding member was fired from the band. He photographed the Stones' free concert in Hyde Park that served as Jones' memorial after he was found drowned in his swimming pool.

Russell joined a touring party of 16 for the Stones' tour of the United States in 1969, which ended with the disastrous free concert at Altamont Speedway. It was really the first big-time rock tour ever and the world in transition he captured disappeared almost immediately.

Russell, who was born in San Francisco and now lives in Marin, continued to photograph the band through the subsequent 1972 tour - where he took a shot of Keith Richards pausing on his way through customs to pose in front of a sign reading "Patience - A Drug-Free America Comes First," one of the great rock 'n' roll photos of all time.

He has collected his 1969 tour photos in a lavish, oversized volume that comes packaged in a wooden box, "Let It Bleed: The Rolling Stones 1969 U.S. Tour" (Rhino Books), an extravagant numbered limited-edition 420-page volume that retails for $650. A monthlong exhibition of the photographs from the book opens today at the San Francisco Art Exchange.

Let It Bleed: Photographs by Ethan Russell of the Rolling Stones' 1969 U.S. tour from his new Rhino Books volume will be exhibited all month at the San Francisco Art Exchange, 458 Geary St. Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sun.-Wed., 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Thurs.-Sat. (415) 441-8840, www.sfae.com.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 3, 2008 01:14

really a great post UrbanSteel, I love does 69 pictures.

The test print of Let It Bleed, I wish that thing was hanging on my wall

Posted by: woody ()
Date: March 3, 2008 08:08

I live in the U.K. and i emailed to the web site to ask for information on how to purchase the deluxe vrsion of this book and they never bothered to reply.
Well done guys good custoumer realations !!!

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: March 3, 2008 08:19

the book will be available in Europe soon, Woody. I will publish an update on this soon.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: March 3, 2008 10:51

Woody....I was at the gallery last night with Ethan Russell...someone asked Ethan about the deluxe version of LIB...he said it was only available on-line..but I can't provide you with any further details..but I would like to provide you & other fans with some insight about 'Art' galleries here & everywhere...most of the sales reps are not experts on what they are selling..more often than not, I/we know more about the work on the wall than they do...the folks at SFAE knew nothing about Ronnie Wood 10 years ago...they still don't know as much about the history/career of the RS or RW as we do..but they are doing a better job...the staff is constantly changing for the most part & it takes years to build a good client list that will hopefully support them when these big shows come their way...once you purchase a piece, you will become an important client & they will bend over backwards for you...this Ethan Russell show is a big deal for them..they bust their ass to display his stuff & make it an event..the staff makes money when their clients open their wallets for the artwork...the book is most likely all Ethan's baby...you might wish to contact Ethan Russell himself..his website ?....or a friendly phone call to the gallery during slow hours would most likely provide you with answers...hope this helps...peter

Date: March 24, 2008 19:08

Hi Peter
Sorry for the delay i have only just read this poat.
I have e mailed again and now have a contact phone number. Many thanks for your help.

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 02:03

I'm the tall guy at the left edge of the first picture.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 25, 2008 04:30

Fantastic post UrbanSteel. Those digitized pics really do the scene justice. Great work.

Urban, you must put together a 320KB 1969 concert set in your catalog. You are the one who can make it work. Thanks for the posts brother.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 25, 2008 06:22

keithfan64....THAT IS WILD...1...2 or 3?

Or that 4... Like what is that cat on ... Stilts?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 25, 2008 13:10

Wonderful photos, thank you!

Yeah, what an incredible tour it was. If it is true that they didn't really rehearsed very much, that is really a sign of their musicianship at the time. The result were stunning, even magical: the sound and live presence of the world's greatest rock and roll band was born.

The contrast between their studio stuff at the time and their live sound was huge. The way their turned the wonderful tunes of BEGGARS and LET IT BLEED into live versions is breath-taking. I still remember how amazed I was when I first listened to YA-YA'S album and compared it to the originals.

How did the miracle happen? Was is all just due to technological matters of the time; turning the acoustic based songs into electric, and using the best available equipment at the time? I don't think that explains everything. They really reshaped many of their songs, even gave them a new clothing. Like rethought the songs. Of course, the hired new gun (Taylor) gave them a new weapon, but I think the super soloist was not so much present still in 1969. In that tour both Taylor and Richards were quite equal in sharing the solo duties. Cutting "Brown Sugar" along the tour fits perfectly: the soundscape of the song is as hot as the band sounded on the stage at the time (and for example, their live versions of the song have never been much different to the original - the gap between the studio version and live version was gone by then.)

And then the foundation for the forecoming setlists ever since was laid down: "Jumping Jack Flash", "Honky Tonk Women", "Street Fighting Man", "Sympathy For The Devil",""Midnight Rambler", "Gimme Shelter"... their most profilic and toughest songs ever were first put into circulation then. I can only imagine what it might have sound hearing for the VERY FIRST TIME ever those songs live with nothing in comparision yet... to some dégree the band might have been even better and tighter in 1972, but the quality and the sound of the band was no any surprise to anyone by then. The anachronism is available so easily nowadys when we compare those tours nowadays.

What a tour! Magical moment in the history of The Rolling Stones. Perhaps their creative peak?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-25 13:17 by Doxa.

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 17:47

Rockman
keithfan64....THAT IS WILD...1...2 or 3?

Or that 4... Like what is that cat on ... Stilts?

I'm #3. I was with five friends in front of the stage in the picture. Two are the two girls on the left in the Some Girls picture, Paula and Terry. We had been to the first show (Champagne, Ill.) and didn't have tickets for the second but ran past the ticket takers into the auditorium just as the crowd was rushing the stage and I wound up right in front of Keith. It was a great concert!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 25, 2008 18:04

That is incredible Keithfan64.. Wow, and I thought I was lucky for getting into the Beacon show.. If I were alive at the time I would done anything to get into these shows.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: March 25, 2008 18:09

The Stones paid Ethan Russell Sweet FA for his legendary photographs. He is now making huge money from them. Nice pics, seen most of them in "Dear Mr. Fantasy", wh. is a much much better value for money than "Let It Bleed".

Date: March 28, 2008 20:09

Well this may be a wonderful book but it appears they don't want to sell it !!!
I e mailed the site and then Dr Rhino whose addy I was given on here and still nothing.
Thanks Rhino your sales and customer relations depts STINK.
Keep your book.
I will stick with Genesiss publications, Excellent public relations.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 28, 2008 22:41

Hey Keithfan64, that's very cool. Any more memories? What did you think of the 'new' Let It Bleed songs performed in Champagne? Come on...some memories, please..

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 28, 2008 23:05

there were only 16 shows, plus Altamont?... hmm, maybe I should try to collect 'em all.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1416
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home