Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: OT: David Bowie
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 6, 2016 10:58

crholmstrom
I really like "The Next Day". So much so I bought it twice. For me "Blackstar" is even better. So different & cool. David seems re-energized by the musicians, much like Neil Young working with Promise of the Real. I don't think its going to happen but I would travel to see David with this band.

+1 Exactly so.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 6, 2016 22:57

I still listen to Heathen over Next Day. I heard Blackstar and Lazarus, both stunning!!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 6, 2016 23:30

Never Let Me Down isnt that bad. Yes,the production sucks a bit, too many keyboards, but lots of good songs to find on that album... Bang Bang, Too Dizzy, Time Will Crawl, Beat Of Your Drum, Zeroes, New York´s In Love... I enjoyed it very much when it was released in 1987. Liked it more than Lets Dance & Tonight (both very good albums, btw). I always wonder why Too Dizzy isnt on the CD-version.

To me, Black Tie White Noise is worse and the worst thing of all Bowie are his songs for the Labyrinth-soundtrack. The Reality-album is very disappointing too.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 7, 2016 03:37

Heathen is his later day masterpiece. Up there with Low and Heroes. Amazing release with very poignant music. The lyrics and singing are totally in sync, and beautiful.

HMS. Your an interesting fan. You seem to like a lot of stuff considered low points for the respective artists. For me Never Let Me Down is one of his worst. From the production to some of his worst writing. Too Dizzy is deplorable. Beat of the Drum is very good and so is Zeroes. And Never Let Me Down is a good song. Black Tie White Noise is an unsung beauty as well. The beginning of Bowie experimenting again. A very important release foretelling 1.Outside's brilliance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-07 03:48 by whitem8.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 7, 2016 04:43

Blackstar. "New" style for Bowie. Can RAVE over THAT fact. Good for him.

But it's so dull. I will never listen to it again.

Rod

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 8, 2016 11:44

Happy birthday David Bowie(& Elvis Presley!). Still throwing darts...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 8, 2016 12:39

DandelionPowderman
MRAmandaJones
I'm a great Bowie fan, but the fact is that:

- The last great album is "Scary Monsters" (1980...);

- The last interesting & exciting albums are "Outside" (1994) & Earthling (1996);

- The last good album is "Heathen" (2002)

Since 1999 (Hours), except "Heathen", the Bowie albums are poor and the production awful.

What was wrong with The Next Day? I thought it both sounded excellent and that the songs were strong..

I had a chance to revisit The Next Day last night. It's a damn fine Bowie album and will be a nice contrast to Blackstar. The bonus cuts are nice in that they are short and sweet!!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 8, 2016 12:56

Lazarus
both the track and the video
are stunning great
period

mick... mick... mick...

getting old

it's a damn filthy lesson...

but it can turn out good

as hell grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-08 12:58 by maumau.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: January 8, 2016 13:06

Bowie has managed in the space of three years two excellent discs. I adore Blackstar

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 8, 2016 17:40

bitusa2012
Blackstar. "New" style for Bowie. Can RAVE over THAT fact. Good for him.

But it's so dull. I will never listen to it again.

The more I listen to it the more I like it. It is more low-key than most of his work but it certainly is listenable.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: January 8, 2016 18:42

He has clearly hit a low point

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: January 8, 2016 19:02

I think Blackstar is a revelation! If you only have the early version that leaked a week ago, be sure and get another version. The sound quality is much better on the official release than on the leaked version.

Happy Birthday to the Thin White Duke! Oh, and that kid from Tupelo as well!

Ross

Date: January 8, 2016 19:50

Ross
I think Blackstar is a revelation! If you only have the early version that leaked a week ago, be sure and get another version. The sound quality is much better on the official release than on the leaked version.

Happy Birthday to the Thin White Duke! Oh, and that kid from Tupelo as well!

Ross

I am stopping at my local purveyor of music software after work (the last one standing just about). I can't wait!

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: January 8, 2016 21:18

If you listen to Scott Walkers 'Tilt' and 'The Drift' albums you'll see where the Jones boy is heading.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 8, 2016 23:14

ROLLINGSTONE
If you listen to Scott Walkers 'Tilt' and 'The Drift' albums you'll see where the Jones boy is heading.

thumbs up

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 9, 2016 02:34

HMS
Never Let Me Down isnt that bad. Yes,the production sucks a bit, too many keyboards, but lots of good songs to find on that album... Bang Bang, Too Dizzy, Time Will Crawl, Beat Of Your Drum, Zeroes, New York´s In Love... I enjoyed it very much when it was released in 1987. Liked it more than Lets Dance & Tonight (both very good albums, btw). I always wonder why Too Dizzy isnt on the CD-version.

To me, Black Tie White Noise is worse and the worst thing of all Bowie are his songs for the Labyrinth-soundtrack. The Reality-album is very disappointing too.

I agree that NLMD wasn't so bad. Half of it was good or very good, somewhat like Dirty Work in fact. Too Dizzy isn't on the CD because Bowie hates the song so much he chose to re-write history and pretend it never existed. I'm not sure any other artist has done than when transferring something to another format.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 9, 2016 04:09

NLMD and the whole Glass Spiders thing was a bit of a bore. Not horrible just not typical Bowie pushing music to another level.

The new record is very mellow, but very daring at the same time. He's not afraid to go in a direction he wants to explore, and let fans find him, rather than catering to what the masses want.

The Stones are a rock band. Bowie is an artist. Love them both.

Date: January 9, 2016 09:57

The song "Lazarus" is my new "Heroes". That's saying a real lot. There is a world of difference playing this on cd vs playing the download. Sonically amazing!

Date: January 9, 2016 12:19

buffalo7478
The Stones are a rock band. Bowie is an artist. Love them both.

True. Bowie leads you to places you´ve never been before, with the Stones in fact you´ll always end up in the same bar.

I like Blackstar, it is very atmospheric and dark, at times quite menacing. A rather short album without fillers and two or three absolutely outstanding highlights. His voice is in very good shape, some of his best vocals since ages, imo.

Btw, Too Dizzy can be found on a japanese CD-release of Never Let Me Down. The japanese dont seem to care about history written or rewritten - Bowie must be very upset...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 9, 2016 17:08

No, he isn't, he has said in interviews, he considers Too Dizzy one of his worst songs.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: January 9, 2016 18:29

Bowie is a painter with lyrics and chords. I adore him.

The Stones are rock's soul. Keith is its arch angel.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 9, 2016 21:34

Librarian

then mick would be the father, son and holy spirit

Date: January 9, 2016 23:19

treaclefingers
Librarian

AMEN!!

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: January 9, 2016 23:54

wanderingspirit66
treaclefingers
Librarian

AMEN!!

Blasphemers! Everyone knows Elvis died for our Sins.
smileys with beer

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: January 9, 2016 23:57

Elvis died for his love of fried chicken and bacon & fried banana sandwiches with lots of peanut butter I´ve been told.

Date: January 10, 2016 01:40

HMS
Elvis died for his love of fried chicken and bacon & fried banana sandwiches with lots of peanut butter I´ve been told.

Not to mention the copious quantities of narcortics....

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2126
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home