Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The "Out of Control" LIVE Appreciation Thread
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 1, 2008 01:11

Bridges was my first tour that made me a fan. I remember watching the St. Louis show countless times. Endlessly watching it again and again. This song blew me away then, and it still does.

Out of Control is such a good song but the performance from the St. Louis show is practically perfect. Every note, beat, crash and inflection is executed beautifully. Ronnie's wah-wah beautifully wailed during that incredible jam at the end. Mick exploding in with the harmonica solo and the interplay with Keith, to me, is the roller coaster climibing over the huge hill. Simplly magic. The way the end the song has always impressed me. In a snap of a finger it's all over and you're left practially breathless as the song's end is also its climax.

I was glad to see it make a very brief appearance in the beginning of the ABB tour but I never felt it matched any of that magic it had from '97. Ah, 1997...great year for them. Great tour. Great song.

Re: The "Out of Control" LIVE Appreciation Thread
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 1, 2008 01:15

Justin - I wholeheartedly agree. The first time I saw them perform this song live was actually the first time I heard the song. I still consider this to be one of the top 3 best songs I've seen them do live. That first time was magical though.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 1, 2008 01:17

What's the other 2, Cindy ?

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 1, 2008 01:30

...great song. Like Cindy, the first time I heard it was when I saw it live, October 10, 1997 (along with "Flip The Motherfvcking Switch")........good times, good times....

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: February 1, 2008 02:30

The version in Chicago's Double Door club with Micks great dancing is cool also.Mick go's for broke in that performance.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: February 1, 2008 02:50

Lukester
...great song. Like Cindy, the first time I heard it was when I saw it live, October 10, 1997 (along with "Flip The Motherfvcking Switch")........good times, good times....

Was that Charlotte? I was there. What a show! It was the first time they played Flip The Switch and it rocked.
I already knew all the words off of Bridges by the time of the show and I distinctly remember Mick singing "I was tired" as one of the lines in Out of Control. I thought to myself...oh no, he's tired???WTF lol???...but obviously he wasn't too tired! I didn't get my voice back for days! I loved that show.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 1, 2008 02:58

I kind of liked it on Bridges and it was pretty good live at Giants Stadium in Oct. '97, but the versions from MSG '98... oh my God. Best performance of anything by anybody that I've ever witnessed was at the 1/14/98 show. I think it was the only time I ever saw Mick truly become unhinged on stage - he was in a f*cking frenzy!

The 1/16 version on the promo single was almost as good to see live and is probably my favorite officially released live track.

The '05 version wasn't quite as hot as '97-'98 but it was still my personal highlight of Opening Night Fenway. Too bad they didn't stick with it for the rest of the tour - OOC needs to be a warhorse!

Posted by: David700 ()
Date: February 1, 2008 03:19

but the versions from MSG '98... oh my God. Best performance of anything by anybody that I've ever witnessed was at the 1/14/98 show. I think it was the only time I ever saw Mick truly become unhinged on stage - he was in a f*cking frenzy!

i could not agree more about that song on that very night, mick went CRaZY, a great memory of a great show. it was soooooooooo cool to see them at MSG!!!!
(like i am from canada eh)
d

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 1, 2008 03:30

TrulyMicks
Lukester

Was that Charlotte? I was there. What a show! It was the first time they played Flip The Switch and it rocked.
I already knew all the words off of Bridges by the time of the show and I distinctly remember Mick singing "I was tired" as one of the lines in Out of Control. I thought to myself...oh no, he's tired???WTF lol???...but obviously he wasn't too tired! I didn't get my voice back for days! I loved that show.

Indeed it was Charlotte......wasn't that a great show?....and that bridge to the B stage caught me by surprise. Heck, I didn't even know about the B stage until that night and I was sitting real close to it......

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 1, 2008 03:35

this song is a SHOW STOPPER live. Too bad I Never had the pleasure of seeing it at the shows I've been to.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 1, 2008 03:37

eye popping smileyEek....Count me on the negative side of OOC and Bridges To Babylon in general....I just think that they tried too hard with this song in concert and tried to make it work. Which considering they have'nt played it much lately,it really didn't.....But I will admit that as a whole I really don't like BTB much at all..

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-01 03:39 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: February 1, 2008 03:42

I watched that tune absolutely ignite the Capitol Theater during the MTV "Live at the Ten Spot" gig. I was with the jaded swells in the VIP area and the reaction was like a surge of electricity through the room. Bette Midler was freaking...

Later in the tour, I remember taking a friend who was a very casual Stones fan to the last night at MSG. After "Out Of Control," she turned to me and asked "what was THAT?!"

I was so glad to see that they stuck with it during "No Security" and delighted to see it amidst the more obvious stuff at Fenway. And, yes, absolutely a shame that they didn't stick to their guns.

Certainly one of the proudest moments of the latter-day Stones.

Date: February 1, 2008 04:11

Out of Control was at least one of the highlights of the 10-20-'97 show.It was still pretty good in '99 but,even then it was not as good as '97/'98.Early on in 2005 something just seemed to be missing on it most nights.The performance of it opening night at Fenway Park was great but,then it seemed to drop off again until another solid performance in Durham,N.C. in October in the rain.The different levels of enthusiasm from the different audiences might be the reason it seems this way as opposed to the way they played it at different times or it could be a combination of the two.

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: February 1, 2008 06:24

out of control went over fantastice live. Cannot believe it was dropped. MEZ

Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: February 1, 2008 07:18

Love it, love, love it!! During ABB it was played during the warhorse finale and the casual fans seemed to not know it and be let down by it. I loved it in that spot but it may have been dropped due to the casual fans reactions.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 1, 2008 07:36

Yeah. I thought Out of Control and Saint of Me were two excellent additions to the Stones Catalog. Another in recent Stones history: Love is Strong, just great live.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 1, 2008 09:41

I suppose this is where the "setlist whiners and moaners" have a point.
Sometimes the new songs work really well on stage....but there's never any room on the set list to fit them in on subsequent tours. Shame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-01 09:42 by Spud.

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: February 1, 2008 09:50

Personally, I thought OOC and Saint of Me were real highlights of all the 98/99 shows I attended.

16/1 show at MGS was terrific, I agree - had good seats, the two songs above were great + a real 'rarity' in 'Already Over Me'. Didn't have quite as good seats the next night (17/1) but there were real surprises too...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2008 10:41

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: February 1, 2008 10:48

I'm so unhappy I never heared that one live. What a pitty they stopped playing it on Bigger Bang after 15 shows. Justin, you're exactly right with your canticle on the St.Louis-version. This one, track #8, and track#19 (JJF) are the most played numbers on my B2B-DVD.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 1, 2008 11:23

Ooc is one of my favourite live songs, they should have done it more often!

Date: February 1, 2008 11:34

Not too good on record. Fantastic live IMO.

Posted by: grizzlybear ()
Date: February 1, 2008 12:07

A magic moment !
Keith walking with biiig steps towards Mick. Guitar and harmonica solo joined together.
What was He whispering ( or shouting ) in Mick's ear ?

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 1, 2008 12:22

Absolutely stunning version! One of the reasons I managed to turn some of my friends into Stones. Seeing OOC on the B2B dvd blew them all away!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 1, 2008 12:42

The Midnight Rambler of the 90s.
Fantastic live, with the quiet/loud change, the guitars and the harmonica
solo at the peak. Remember when Mick blew the harp and Keith was strolling
around him?

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: February 1, 2008 13:48

Saw it live in Milan 2003. It was so crazy I went completely nuts!!! Oh boy what a song it is!!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 1, 2008 14:53

sweetcharmedlife
eye popping smileyEek....Count me on the negative side of OOC and Bridges To Babylon in general....I just think that they tried too hard with this song in concert and tried to make it work. Which considering they have'nt played it much lately,it really didn't.....But I will admit that as a whole I really don't like BTB much at all..

We must have seen radically different shows on that tour. Every show I saw - without exception - the song brought the house down. Concert goers and critics alike were saying how refreshing it was that the Stones at this stage of their career could perform a newly recorded song which could stand on its own merits as a concert highlight. ('Saint of Me' got a great reaction on that tour too)

The fact that they havent played it much since is irrelevant (they havent exactly played 'Gimme Shelter' much lately either!) , and more to do with Mick's obsession with the 'nostalgia' market at their concerts on the last two tours. If he's going to sing recent songs, its a shame that he's content to perform generic throwaway fluff like 'You got me rocking' instead of songs like this one which might require a bit of effort.

The BTB version is very good. The version on No Security from Buenos Aires however is worth the price of the CD on it's own.

Date: February 1, 2008 17:52

Spud
Sometimes the new songs work really well on stage....but there's never any room on the set list to fit them in on subsequent tours. Shame.

Yeah.Exactly.There is little to no room for anything when they continually reduce the number of songs per concert > mid to high 20's down to 18 songs per show squeezes out what the non-warhorse only fans used to look foward to in the shows.

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: February 1, 2008 18:05

I agree with many of you - one of the best songs they have ever played live. CHUCK, if you read this - bring it back into the setlist. You are the only one who has the chance to convince Mick to do it. We would all appreciate it.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 1, 2008 18:25

Spud

There is always room, but with every tour since 89, the setlist shrinks. The happy medium is to add a few numbers. So you add 15 or 20 minutes to a less than 2 hour show.

That will satisfy the warhorse panhandlers and those who desire a more diversified show.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home