Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: The Rolling Stones x Martin Scorsese - Shine A Light [SHM-CD] [Limited Edition]
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 6, 2008 14:06

I am now listening Jimi's Electric Ladyland on SHM-CD.
Is this a same source? It's speechless.
The sound becomes very stereoscopical and bass boosted.
I was blown away by "Rainy Day, Dream Away".
He shall grow not old, as some who are left grow old.

I will check Let It Bleed tomorrow.
I am really looking forward to Shine A Light.

Re: The Rolling Stones x Martin Scorsese - Shine A Light [SHM-CD] [Limited Edition]
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 6, 2008 14:16

Do you have the standard CD version to compare?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 6, 2008 15:47

SHM-CD's are regular CD's with a new type of polycarbonate layer. I bought the three Stones titles (TSMR, BB, Let It Bleed), and compared Beggars Banquet to the CD layer of the new ABKCO CD's. I could not detect a difference.

But, they are nice to own. I'll probably keep the other two sealed.

I should add that on the other hand, I hear a large difference between the CD and SACD, with the SACD sounding much warmer and "real".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-06 15:50 by drbryant.

Date: February 6, 2008 16:07

open-g
Do you have the standard CD version to compare?

I think it is more like analog record.
My dog suddenly barked at the sound when I played "...And The Gods Made Love".

Anyway, we generally welcome this CDs.

We will have another John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers classics on Feb 20th.
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-06 16:19 by Toru A.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 6, 2008 16:55

drbryant
SHM-CD's are regular CD's with a new type of polycarbonate layer. I bought the three Stones titles (TSMR, BB, Let It Bleed), and compared Beggars Banquet to the CD layer of the new ABKCO CD's. I could not detect a difference.

I should add that on the other hand, I hear a large difference between the CD and SACD, with the SACD sounding much warmer and "real".

Yes, that's what I mean. They may be collectible, but if one does not detect a difference, where's the sense of this new type of polycarbonate layer?

And your observation concerning the difference between CD and SACD, that's what I mean when I said that SACD was a step forward, and a new CD format like SHM-CD is a step back again. Collectible like, for instance, a Picture CD, but this has nothing to do with any sound differences.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-06 16:58 by retired_dog.

Date: February 6, 2008 17:28

Toru A

I will check Let It Bleed tomorrow.
I am really looking forward to Shine A Light.

Well,this is what one guy who actually has listened to one says.It is hard for a CD to have better sound than the 2002 remasters of the Stones' 60's material,especially Beggars Banquet despite the rare error here and there such as Stray Cat Blues,Ruby Tuesday and a handful of others.

Date: February 6, 2008 17:33

Munichhilton
Because only small dogs and bats can hear the difference

somehow I tend to believe in Munichhilton's description.
I wouldn't mind to be proven wrong though.

Date: February 6, 2008 17:58

Honestly,like I said,I don't expect any big difference either.I am hoping for a small improvement which humans can notice even if only on high quality equipment.A small improvement over a conventional CD is better than just a conventional CD.I'm willing to give it a shot with the Shine A Light soundtrack as,for one thing,it appears to be the only way to get the two disc version.As it stands right now,there is not really anything to lose by going with the two disc set.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 6, 2008 18:17

Theif in the Night
As it stands right now,there is not really anything to lose by going with the two disc set.

Oh yes, definitely. Sorry, I overlooked the fact that the two disc-set is SHM-CD exclusive. No, there is really nothing to lose to go with this set.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: February 13, 2008 18:17

Okay,

I can find four listings for the Soundtrack on Amazon now:

Shine A Light [SOUNDTRACK]
Audio CD (April 1, 2008)
Original Release Date: April 1, 2008
Format: Soundtrack
Label: Interscope
ASIN: B0013ABEYW
No Price Listed

Shine a Light: Original Soundtrack (Shm) [IMPORT]
Audio CD (April 1, 2008)
Number of Discs: 2
Format: Import
Label: Universal Japan
ASIN: B0013BYBYQ
List Price: $54.98

Shine a Light - O.S.T.
Audio CD (April 1, 2008)
Label: Interscope Records
ASIN: B0013V2B2U
List Price: $13.98

Shine a Light - O.S.T. (Dlx) (Ocrd)
Audio CD (April 1, 2008)
Label: Interscope Records
ASIN: B0013V2B34
List Price: $19.98

The fourth one interests me. I understand O.S.T. stands for Original Soundtrack and DLX stands for Deluxe but what does Ocrd stand for?

Posted by: artinis1 ()
Date: February 13, 2008 20:44

from nick,

well at least we have a release date, now we just need the tracklisting for both the regular and deluxe, but it good to know that the limited edition isn't just for japan

Date: February 13, 2008 23:03

Obssessive Compulsive Reef Disorder
Office Chief of Research and Development, United States Army
Oglethorpe County Recreation Department
Office of the Children's Rights Director
Ocean Climate Research Division
On China Research And Development
Obligatory Dave Chapelle Reference
Old Cool Digital Recording
Officer & Citizen Down = Rescue
Orbiter Critical Design Review
Optical coherence domain reflectometer
OPTIMIST CLUBS OF DURHAM REGION
[www.ocdr.org]

damnit - can't find what OCRD stands for...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-13 23:44 by open-g.

Date: February 13, 2008 23:52

I give up drinking smiley

Date: February 14, 2008 06:28

artinis1
from nick,

well at least we have a release date, now we just need the tracklisting for both the regular and deluxe, but it good to know that the limited edition isn't just for japan

The double CD (SHM-CD) not just for Japan but,to everyone else it will be available only as an import - from Japan.As cbtaco19 posted,it is being released by Universal Records of Japan.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 14, 2008 08:09

Toru A

Don't know a thing about SHM-CD's but Jimi's Electric Ladyland is a masterpiece and Rainy Day, Dream Away and Still Raining, Still Dreaming have been getting alot of play recently....I forgot how good this CD was.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: February 14, 2008 08:32

Theif in the Night
artinis1
from nick,

The double CD (SHM-CD) not just for Japan but,to everyone else it will be available only as an import - from Japan.As cbtaco19 posted,it is being released by Universal Records of Japan.

It says Non-SHM cd is also released as double. See the link below.
SAL

@not official

Date: February 15, 2008 17:00

Yeah.That's definitely not official.They won't use the Bridges To Babylon text on a live CD from 10 years (give or take) later.Here is the link to the official album artwork : [www.rollingstones.com] .

Date: February 15, 2008 17:33

Thanks for the link Theif in the Night.

Date: February 15, 2008 17:34

Thank heavens, I was afraid that I would not be able to buy Shine A Light on USB Stick from Amazon:

Shine A Light [USB Stick] by Rolling Stones (Audio CD - 2008) - Soundtrack

No word whether or not a DELUXE USB Stick will be available.confused smiley Seriously, who buys this? I am guessing it is the same market that paid a dollar a minute to listen to Bigger Bang concerts simulcast on their cell phones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-15 17:35 by cbtaco19.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 15, 2008 17:41

So glad rollingstones.com is so helpful in revealing what exactly is on the CD - what a great way to create interest.

@#$%& buffoons.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 15, 2008 18:39

Could OCRD stand for orchestrated??

Date: February 15, 2008 18:54

VoodooLounge13
Could OCRD stand for orchestrated??

dunno - maybe Original Cues Re-Done?

the Question remains: what does Ocrd stand for?

Date: February 15, 2008 19:26

It's weird, if you do a search for OCRD on Amazon music, you will get several totally unrelated CD's. None of them explain what OCRD is as far as I can tell:

Trackside Tunes (Full Ocrd) by Alec Baldwin, George Carlin, Junior Campbell, Mike O'Donnell, and David Mitton (DVD - 2008) - Animated

Let It Rock: Greatest Hits (Ocrd) by Georgia Satellites (Audio CD - 2007)

Christmas with the Vienna Boys Choir (Coll) (Ocrd) by Vienna Boys' Choir (Audio CD - 2007)

Best of the Lemonheads: The Atlantic Years (Ocrd) by Lemonheads (Audio CD - 2007)

etc, etc.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 15, 2008 19:43

original (o) cuts (c) remastered (rd)

Date: February 15, 2008 20:09

>>original (o) cuts (c) remastered (rd)<<

ah yes, that makes sense - thanks.

so I wasn't that far off then - well, it means the same basically >>Original Cues Re-Done

Date: February 15, 2008 20:13

open-g
>>original (o) cuts (c) remastered (rd)<<

ah yes, that makes sense - thanks.

so I wasn't that far off then - well, it means the same basically >>Original Cues Re-Done

Okay, thanks but the mystery deepens. Why do you remaster something brand new that hasn't been released yet?

Date: February 15, 2008 20:38

Ain't no mystery for me.
this is what I wrote on the other thread:

Having seen the movie twice, I predict that the audio CD is going to sound more even and will differ very much in the mix.
the movie audio-mix emphasizes the camera angle - like you see a guitar, you hear a guitar roar.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 16, 2008 01:38

>> Ain't no mystery for me. <<

ahh: good! so it's the ocrd version we want, unless we want to put on headphones and fall down drunk.
thanks for the clarity - now ... is the ocrd version also the 2-CD "deluxe" version?
(sorry - i am so easily confused!)

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 16, 2008 04:20

rollingstones.com now lists the tracklisting for the single and double cd versions. We get Connection, Little T & A, IM Free, and Shine a Light. Yup, people are going to bitch about no Undercover of the Night but I must say I am very happy they are giving us some songs that are not in the movie, and this might bode well for extras on the dvd once it comes out.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 16, 2008 04:46

Confirmed tracklistings for the double cd of the Shine A Light Soundtrack:

DISC 1:

Jumping Jack Flash
Shattered
She Was Hot
All Down the Line
Loving Cup
As Tears Go By
Some Girls
Just My Imagination
Faraway Eyes
Champagne & Reefer
Tumbling Dice
Band introductions
You Got the Silver
Connection

DISC 2:

Sympathy for the Devil
Live With Me
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Paint it Black
Little T&A
I'm Free
Shine A Light

Confirmed tracklisting for the single disc (USA only):

Jumping Jack Flash
She Was Hot
All Down the Line
Loving Cup
As Tears Go By
Some Girls
Just My Imagination
Faraway Eyes
Champagne & Reefer
Band introductions
You Got the Silver
Connection
Sympathy for the Devil
Live With Me
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1820
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home