Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Shine a Light - The Rolling Stones CD on Universal
Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: January 31, 2008 22:46

The Rolling Stones x Martin Scorsese - Shine A Light [SHM-CD] [Limited Edition]

Just trolling Google and came up with this:

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]
Catalog No.: UICY-90794
Format: CD
Number of discs (or other units): 2
Release Date: 2008/03/26
Price: 4000yen (4200yen Tax incl.)
[US$ 37.24] Change Currency
F.S. Points: 120 points
Item weight: 200 g
Availability: Usually ships on the release date

Japan-only release of the original soundtrack to the Martin Scorsese film "Shine a Light" featuring song recorded live by the Rolling Stones at the band's 2006 performance at New York's Beacon Theater with guest performances from Buddy Guy, Christina Aguilera, and Jack White (details subject to change). Limited edition features the deluxe SHM-CD format.

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]
Catalog No.: UICY-1408
Format: CD
Number of discs (or other units): 1
Release Date: 2008/03/26
Price: 3143yen (3300yen Tax incl.)
[US$ 29.26] Change Currency
F.S. Points: 94 points
Item weight: 120 g
Availability: Usually ships on the release date

Original soundtrack to the Martin Scorsese film "Shine a Light" featuring song recorded live by the Rolling Stones at the band's 2006 performance at New York's Beacon Theater with guest performances from Buddy Guy, Christina Aguilera, and Jack White (details subject to change).

No Tracklist posted here but it is the first time I have seen an entry for the CD in an online store.

According to this, there is going to be a Regular one CD version and a second two CD Limited Edition! Guess which one I am getting>grinning smiley<

What is SHM-CD format? Is that a Japanese thing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-16 15:01 by bv.

Re: The Rolling Stones x Martin Scorsese - Shine A Light [SHM-CD] [Limited Edition]
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 31, 2008 22:55

Interesting. Hopefully they don't butcher it with edits and lame copy protections รก la Live Licks...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-31 22:56 by LieB.

Re: The Rolling Stones x Martin Scorsese - Shine A Light [SHM-CD] [Limited Edition]
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 31, 2008 23:01

What is SHM-CD format? Is that a Japanese thing?

SHMuck-CD smoking smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 31, 2008 23:02

Super High Material CD

SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) developed by JVC and Universal Music Japan. Polycarbonate plastic with improved transparency is used for the disc surface for enhanced audio quality. *Plays on regular CD players.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-31 23:08 by open-g.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 1, 2008 01:12

...so it's really not SHMuck-CD?

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 1, 2008 02:03

[www.universal-music.co.jp]
depending on individual taste.

Date: February 1, 2008 03:40

If it really offers enhanced audio quality,why would anyone prefer a CD without enhanced audio quality?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 1, 2008 04:30

Because only small dogs and bats can hear the difference

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 1, 2008 04:50

Munichhilton
Because only small dogs and bats can hear the difference

good one, Munich.

BTW, why Munichhilton?

plexi

Date: February 1, 2008 06:40

I don't know about all that.I had never even heard of a SHM-CD until a month and a half ago.I still have never heard one.I think that they're brand new.Has anyone on this board really ever listened to one?I doubt that any type of CD that can be played back on a normal,regular CD player can match SA-CD's or DVD-Audio discs but,that does not mean that they won't (or will) sound noticably better than a standard CD.Perhaps high end equipment might bear out the difference.Maybe it will still be hard to tell.Maybe it won't.We will not know until we give one a chance and a listen.I'm sure that,even in the worst case scenario,that it definitely won't (or shouldn't) sound any worse than a standard CD.I will give the two disc set a try.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 1, 2008 15:41

In any case, just for the record, since its a single CD, it will not be a full concert.

C

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: February 1, 2008 18:37

liddas
In any case, just for the record, since its a single CD, it will not be a full concert.

C

The special edition the OP listed is 2 discs.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 2, 2008 10:22

Here's tracklist. Keith took three.
01. SMU 02. Shat 03. SWH 04. ADL 05. LC 06. ATGB 07. IF 08. UCOTN 09. SG
10. JMI 11. SL 12. FAE 13. C & R 14. TD 15. YGS 16. LTA 17. Connection
18. SFTD 19. LWM 20. PIB 21. HTW 22. JJF 23. S 24. BS
This is subject to change.

75 percent of Japanese fans have already reserved SHM-CD limited editon because
this version of their Back Catalogue sold out in a second.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-02 11:38 by Toru A.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 2, 2008 19:22

Where did you get the tracklist?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 2, 2008 21:33

Toru A
Here's tracklist. Keith took three.
01. SMU 02. Shat 03. SWH 04. ADL 05. LC 06. ATGB 07. IF 08. UCOTN 09. SG
10. JMI 11. SL 12. FAE 13. C & R 14. TD 15. YGS 16. LTA 17. Connection
18. SFTD 19. LWM 20. PIB 21. HTW 22. JJF 23. S 24. BS
This is subject to change.

75 percent of Japanese fans have already reserved SHM-CD limited editon because
this version of their Back Catalogue sold out in a second.

'Subject to change' being the key words. Those 24 songs listed comprise ALL of the songs played over the two nights (they played 19 on the first night and made 5 changes on night 2- Some Girls, Far Away Eyes, Connection, HTW and Satisfaction being played in a 20 song set, with Undercover, Shine A Light, T&A and Paint it Black being dropped).

IMO., no way will they include all 24 songs performed over the two shows.

I seem to recall Live Licks having 33 songs at one stage before about a third of them were left off (and then on those that WERE released they kept in the edits that had been made in order for them to be able to fit 33 songs onto 2 discs)

Posted by: artinis1 ()
Date: February 2, 2008 22:59

from nick,

maybe this time they will include all the songs form the two nights, hopefully the dvd will have the songs that did not make the movie, we should be getting an official press release within a week or so, especially if the cd is coming out around march 25 or 26th, makes sense, since soundtracks usually are released a week before a movie comes out

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 2, 2008 23:22

Gazza
I seem to recall Live Licks having 33 songs at one stage before about a third of them were left off (and then on those that WERE released they kept in the edits that had been made in order for them to be able to fit 33 songs onto 2 discs)

I see the same danger here. Cramming 24 songs according to Toru's tracklist onto a single CD is only possible with heavy (emphasis on heavy!) editing, resulting in "truncated tracks" like the ones in the Rocks Off/Let's Spend The Night Together-movie. If they indeed decide to drop some tracks in the last minute, I am pretty sure that they will not touch the edits on the remaining tracks again. Because it means WORK. One can only hope that the Stones will return to their work ethics which they applied to live albums like GYYYO or LYL, otherwise I smell disappointment.

Posted by: artinis1 ()
Date: February 3, 2008 00:22

from nick,

the 24 tracks are on two cds from the japan website, of course 24 tracks would not fit on one cd

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 3, 2008 00:23

The project is a film first and a soundtrack second, lets not forget. If Scorsese wants certain songs in the movie because they work better or edited in a certain way, the CD will probably have a similar track listing and edit.

You'd barely get more than about 14-15 unedited songs onto a single CD. Dont forget also that its a movie which will be probably around 100-110 minutes in length and which contains documentary and archive footage as well. There will probably be barely enough songs from the Beacon shows included to fill one CD.

If there is music on a second disc, I can only presume its material that isnt on the film, maybe extra live performances or rehearsals or whatever.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 3, 2008 10:43

cbtaco19
According to this, there is going to be a Regular one CD version and a second two CD Limited Edition! Guess which one I am getting>grinning smiley<quote]

Both versions? That's what I'll do anyway. grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: February 3, 2008 12:59

When someone knows the set list, please post it. I read from a post of someone who had a sneak peak of 20 minutes that As Tears Go By and Just My Imagination are included. The trailer gives away about six songs. I hope Connection makes it.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 3, 2008 13:04

BOBM
When someone knows the set list, please post it. I read from a post of someone who had a sneak peak of 20 minutes that As Tears Go By and Just My Imagination are included.

[www.iorr.org]

Date: February 3, 2008 13:29

Gazza
The project is a film first and a soundtrack second, lets not forget. If Scorsese wants certain songs in the movie because they work better or edited in a certain way, the CD will probably have a similar track listing and edit.

Of course it is a film first and a soundtrack second. But if, for instance, She Was Hot appears only 30 or 40 seconds in the film, I don't want a 30 or 40 seconds audio clip on the CD. And it does not have to be this way. Even if a song appears in a very truncated form in the film, I take it for granted that during the production the complete version was mixed, before it was edited. So there would be no excuse to include shortened or extremely shortened audio tracks in the soundtrack CD.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 3, 2008 15:34

being mainly a concert movie i take for granted that there's no original soundtrack to get releasd other than the concert (that is if there are some scenes with background music, original or not, i dont think it gets released)

the concert i think is going to be edited, that is a choice of the two nights

if in the movie there's a truncated version o f a song either it will be out of the soundtrack or in the complete version

about butcher editing i rely on the fact the scorsese takes a lot of care about the quality of the products that go out with his name on. even if the production of the ost is not under his direct control - as in the blues series for example - which i dont know i really doubt he will accept things like rocks off on live licks.

maybe it is just a wish but i see more likely a tight selection for the single disc and a wider - but not complete - choice for the double. Maybe for example the title track, that we know has been edited out of the movie and put on the ending titles, will make it.

i think scorsese is quite a guarantee for quality and i hope he is in control of the ost

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: February 4, 2008 17:52

There is a placeholder at Amazon now but no details yet.

[www.amazon.com]

Shine A Light
Rolling Stones (Artist)

Availability: Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available.

Product Details

Audio CD
Label: Interscope
ASIN: B0013ABEYW

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 4, 2008 17:59

The set list has been posted....but it's a moot point in a sense because the movie (and record for that matter) might not follow how the show went - just like any of their live records for the most part.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 4, 2008 20:48

also worth noting that the screening Cousin Lou attended was not necessarily the final cut.
i'm still lighting incense for an full-fledged, untampered-with Connection.

Date: February 5, 2008 01:46

SHM-CD is bullshit through and through. It's nothing more than selling the same old stuff in new bottles. Keep in mind that the CD master itself is the same, it is just the supposedly "better" material used for the CD pressing that supposedly makes the difference. Remember those old HiFi-freaks discussions that marking a CD with green (or was it red) text marker ink at the edges makes the CD sound better? The difference is absolutly minimal at best and, if at all, only noticable on real expensive equipment. If the music labels would honestly follow the route of noticable quality upgrades, SACD is the way to go. SHM-CD is nothing more than a step back.

Date: February 5, 2008 16:44

Yes.SHM-CD is a step back from SA-CD's and DVD-Audio discs but,I seriously can't imagine that they are a step back from regular CD's.In the case of the Shine A Light soundtrack,it's obviously not the same old stuff as it is a future release.Sure,all of the songs were previously released (except C.& R.) but,not the Beacon Theatre '06 live versions.Many of the songs have not appeared on a live album at all and for others,it has been many years.For example,it has been 17 years since the last official live version of JJF.It's been 37 or 38 years for Midnight Rambler.They should throw a live version of this in (from Japan '06 perhaps) as a bonus track.

Date: February 5, 2008 16:57

Theif in the Night
Yes.SHM-CD is a step back from SA-CD's and DVD-Audio discs but,I seriously can't imagine that they are a step back from regular CD's.In the case of the Shine A Light soundtrack,it's obviously not the same old stuff as it is a future release.Sure,all of the songs were previously released (except C.& R.) but,not the Beacon Theatre '06 live versions.Many of the songs have not appeared on a live album at all and for others,it has been many years.For example,it has been 17 years since the last official live version of JJF.It's been 37 or 38 years for Midnight Rambler.They should throw a live version of this in (from Japan '06 perhaps) as a bonus track.

Of course you are right when you talk about Shine A Light on SHM-CD. But what I meant was more the "general picture". When I checked the available SHM-CD titles most of them were those obvious classic rock warhorses which have already been remastered, expanded and deluxe-treated to death and which now making the rounds again under the SHM-CD banner. And with "a step back" I obviously meant that compared to SA-CD's and DVD-Audio discs, not regular CD's.

The question is whether SHM-CD is a step FORWARD from the normal CD, and that is what I doubt. My point is that the step forward was SACD or DVD-Audio, and that SMH-CD is a step back from those DVD-based audio formats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-06 15:40 by retired_dog.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1848
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home