Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

what if Doug Sahm had been a Stone
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 12, 2008 21:49

in 75 when Sir Doug was still with us I wonder how he would have fit for a replacement. Of course he might have been to tall or ugly for em but talent was not an issue. An accomplished guitarist, fiddle and steel guitar player with so much natural r n r soul that Brian Jones openly admired him when the Sir Doug Quentet opened for the Stones in the early 60s. I know I'll be accused of "never would have happened so why talk about it" but as I said its only a fantasy!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: what if Doug Sahm had been a Stone
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: January 12, 2008 22:52

Maybe the Stones would have recorded more country songs with him!?!
On the other hand there would have been no Texas Mavericks if Doug had stayed with the Stones, so the world would have been poorer!

Date: January 12, 2008 22:55

you mean Texas Tornados?

Date: January 12, 2008 23:11

>>you mean Texas Tornados?

No, Texas Tornados were also a great band, I have their cd's including the Mexican version of their first lp.

The Texas Mevericks only recorded one lp for New Rose Records and toured Europe in spring of 1987 ( I did not have the chance to go to one of their concerts ) with the great John Reed on lead guitar and Mike Buck on drums. The lp isn't so hot, BUT there's a tape in circulation from their show in Switzerland Z?rich at the Rote Fabrik ( March 28th ) and that is certainly one of the best Rock'n'Roll/Rockabilly shows I've ever heard, especially the first 30 minutes!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 12, 2008 23:20

scottkeef
in 75 when Sir Doug was still with us I wonder how he would have fit for a replacement. Of course he might have been to tall or ugly for em but talent was not an issue.

Too ugly?? For the Stones? In 1975? This was just months after Keith's almost tooth-free appearance in the IORR video?

Date: January 12, 2008 23:21

thanks for the info-I wasnt aware of this. I guess its no surprise since Doug played such a great variety of music with so many different people. Look at all the versions of the "Quentet"(even had Alvin Crow at one time!) I would reccommend the "Doug Sahm and Friends"(the collection w/all the outtakes). I saw him with Augie Meyers at Billy Bobs Ft. Worth in the early 80s. After the show he and Augie pulled up next to us at a redlight in an old truck w/equipment in the back. We were pretty high and started hollering at 'em. They laughed at us and Doug said we better get on home before we got in trouble!!!!!

Yeah Gazza, maybe just too tall after all!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-12 23:23 by scottkeef.

Date: January 12, 2008 23:39

Alvin Crow was also with the Texas Mavericks, Speedy Sparks on bass; so now you have the complete line-up

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 12, 2008 23:40

scottkeef
I would reccommend the "Doug Sahm and Friends"(the collection w/all the outtakes).

Oddly enough I downloaded that album just a few days ago. I'd only previously heard the songs with Dylan on it. Nice stuff.

Date: January 12, 2008 23:52

It is great stuff. Doug was kinda the "jack of all trades" of music and never got his due IMHO. I was thinking about ordering the dvd/cd he did for Soundstage on PBS in the 70s. I watched as orginally bcast as a teen and said who the hell is this guy? I had only known him from the "Sir Douglas Quintet". If you ever get a chance to pick up "The West Side Sound Rolls Again" grab it. Great San Antonio r n r!

Posted by: moosman ()
Date: January 14, 2008 23:50

When I was a kid, I was lucky enough to play many gigs with Johnny Perez, the original drummer for The Sir Douglas Quintet. This was a big deal for me, as they were my favorite American band. Perez was a master timekeeper, who made each song sound like a record. Johnny had a treasure in stories. He told me that Doug had taught him the groove for "She's About A Mover", by making him play along to "She's A Woman" by The Beatles. He always blamed the Quintet's relative lack of success to the fact that Doug would make them cut every album in one night, so he could pocket more of the advance. J.P. promised me that someday, Doug would come in to hear us play. Of course he did, on a night I was sick at home, and had sent in a substitute. When I asked him later what they played, he told me they had jammed for half an hour on "Last Time". I can still hear J.P. laughing, "You should have been there buddy, it was EXPLOSIVE!"

Date: January 15, 2008 01:56

I'm green w/envy pardner! Just to even get to play with guys from the Quintet musta been a gas gas gas. I remember reading where the first album cover was shot in shadows to disguise the fact that most of the guys were hispanic?
(Huey P. Meuex's doing? remember it was the early sixties!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-15 02:00 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: January 15, 2008 03:14

Then Ronnie Wood would not be a Stone

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: January 15, 2008 04:57

If anyone would post Nitty Gritty either here or on Hot Stuff I'd be grateful...

Date: January 31, 2008 22:04

Hey scottkeef!

There are a couple of Sir Douglas Qnintet shows up here:

[nargotheborts-grand-ole-blogry.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 31, 2008 22:05

Yeah, or Willie Nelson

Date: February 1, 2008 02:48

thanks for the info Rank Stranger, I'm always looking for more Doug stuff! He was such a joy to listen to and watch. And as mentioned earlier Brian Jones openly admired the man. The good do leave us too early. I remember reading in an article about Willie Nelson(I believe in Crawdaddy) in the mid 70s when he was doing his sessions for Atlantic Doug was there doing an album and "dropped" in on Willie and after hearing what was going on said "I'm goin'back to the hotel and git mah fiddle!" What a character! RIP Doug.

Date: February 3, 2008 22:07

As Larry Campbell sometimes played with the Quintet, there's a Dylan relation; this again means that you can find some nice cover artwork here:

[dylanstubs.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1927
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home