Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: What Was The Loudest Concert You Ever Attended?
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 13, 2008 18:55

MOTORHEAD . ORLEANS France 1979. The "Bomber" tour. They started the show blasting the deafening roar of a the bomber taking of. That was mild becibels compare to what was going to follow! Only 3 dudes on stage but the volume was unbearable. It knocked me out of my shoes! After 3 songs I had to get out of that place (salle du Baron) From the bar, behind doors and 150 yards away from Lemmy, I was able to listen to Motorhead. It is the only time I run away from a rock and roll show. It was too much. I was not wearing earplugs like some people.
Mops

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: January 13, 2008 20:19

Ive seen a lot of the usual suspects for volume (Motorhead,Ramones,Iggy,The Stones,Clash,Black Flag,Twisted Sister,Metallica etc) However noone came any where near Ted Nugent in the Seventies. I remember seeing him blasting thorugh 15 white Marshall cabinets in a theater and feeling physically sick from the power, Motorhead were easy listening in comparison.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: January 13, 2008 20:22

The Who, Lewisham Odeon, 1981, I was about three rows back from the stage, and the volume was so loud it altered my hearing for the rest of the night. When my mate was talking to me after the gig, I could hear his voice pitch-shifted by an octave!

I went to all three Stones gigs at the O2 last year, the Thursday night didn't strike me as particularly loud. Maybe it depended where you were in the arena?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 13, 2008 21:08

The Who, Phoenix Coliseum in support of Who's Next, maybe 1972? Sat stage right. My right ear was never the same after that. Thanks Pete...Ringing for 48 hours afterwards. Second goes to the Winos filming at WTTW Chicago. Encore of Whip it Up? was PAINFULLY loud. They had it turned ALL the way up. Ears ringing carried well into the next day.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 13, 2008 21:15

Have heard that the Who destroyed some ears in the 60s.

Motörhead seems to be the undisputable winners here, ey?

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: January 13, 2008 23:51

I would say motorhead or the Who, Baboon.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: January 14, 2008 06:11

tydyelady
[
But I think the loudest ever was Blue Cheer in the 60's in a small club in Chicago. I had the honor of being lifted on stage, right in front of an amp. At the time I was ecstatic, I believe my hearing loss started then.

____ thats a good one... i'd have liked to have been there, it had to be nuts.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 14, 2008 06:15

The loudest band was playing at my friend Larry's bar mitzvah in 1970.
After "Hava Negilah," we felt like our ears were bleeding!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 14, 2008 08:54

Jimi Hendrix surprise appearance at the Hollywood Teenage Fair in April 1969

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 14, 2008 16:47

schillid
The loudest band was playing at my friend Larry's bar mitzvah in 1970.
After "Hava Negilah," we felt like our ears were bleeding!

Possibly because you were only 13 and had never heard live music before? .... Just a wild guess.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: January 14, 2008 18:23

Without a doubt The Georgia Satellites in London Ontario in 1988. Couldn't hear what people were saying to me after the show.

Date: July 11, 2010 01:37

This is the kind of thread that gets bumped when things get boring.

Date: July 11, 2010 01:40

tatters
The John Entwistle Band, playing in a tiny club in 1998. I stood about eight feet from John's massive bass rig, which he dubbed "Little Manhattan" because it resembled several skyscrapers. My ears rang for 72 hours afterwards.

Second place goes to the recently reunited Cactus, whom I saw in the very same club in 2007. So loud it hurt. Ears rang for 48 hours afterwards.

what a dumb thing to do, wear earplugs next time

Date: July 11, 2010 01:42

the loudest band on the planet MANOWAR

Date: July 11, 2010 01:45

keefriffhard4life
tatters
The John Entwistle Band, playing in a tiny club in 1998. I stood about eight feet from John's massive bass rig, which he dubbed "Little Manhattan" because it resembled several skyscrapers. My ears rang for 72 hours afterwards.

Second place goes to the recently reunited Cactus, whom I saw in the very same club in 2007. So loud it hurt. Ears rang for 48 hours afterwards.

Okay, dad.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 11, 2010 01:47

by far the loudest i've been exposed to - george thorogood at the eurphoria tavern in portland, oregon - feb 28, 1981. he brought a sound system that could have filled an arena....and had it cranked to the max....we left after 4 or 5 songs, fearing for our health...it was the night i proposed to mrs. stonestod...she couldn't hear me and so i didn't get a response for a couple of weeks....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-11 01:51 by StonesTod.

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: July 11, 2010 02:01

Rush was the opening act at the Academy of Music in NYC years ago. I'm not 100% sure on the headliner. Could have been Rory Gallagher or Climax Blues Band. Anyway, Rush was so loud I could not sit in the theatre. I went out to the lobby and it was still fricking loud. Oh, and they sucked.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 11, 2010 02:15

BluzDude
Jimi Hendrix surprise appearance at the Hollywood Teenage Fair in April 1969

...update = AC/DC Dec. '08 at the L.A. Forum...either that or my ears are getting more sensitive in my old age.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 11, 2010 02:27

another Ramones "volume victim" here...early '80s it was either the Roxy or the Whiskey on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood....i was in the "ear-bleed" section (inside the club)...my ears are still ringing

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: July 11, 2010 02:34

Probably Melanie in Central Park in 1977

Posted by: Tommy Cosmo ()
Date: July 11, 2010 03:06

For me;
I must say Johnny Winter Stockholm Konserthuset in´74
and second Ted Nugent at the same place in ´77 !
Tommy

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: July 11, 2010 04:05

The Ramones , Chestnut Cabaret , Philadelphia 1990 without a doubt.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 11, 2010 04:30

Rolling Stones Rotterdam '73..Second row.smoking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 11, 2010 05:03

I was trapped sometime in the 70s at an outdoor Robin Trower guitar-wanking fest in 100+ degree heat in Phoenix, AZ. It was everything I hate in a concert: Festival seating, uncomfortable, and ear-splittingly LOUD. Seriously at one point I was wishing for death. Couldn't leave because I was brought there by people. I now know what hell is like - at least for me.

Also The Alarm when they opened for the Pretenders ca. 1982, again in Phoenix. I had to physically leave the hall. I have no respect for bands who use sheer volume to force you to hear them.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: July 11, 2010 05:07

Motörhead, Belgrade/Serbia, 26. VII 2002. Proper hearing came back in 3 days if memory serves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-11 05:10 by Milan.

Posted by: Caliblues ()
Date: July 11, 2010 05:12

Judas Priest reunion with Queensryche opening 2005 in Hershey, PA at the Giant Center.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 11, 2010 05:13

What Was The Loudest Concert You Ever Attended?

it was one of our own°°
no one was too loud - except the drummer's snare drum!
it nearly killed me, like being hit by Thor's hammer^^
I could only escape by finding 2 ciggarette filters and pluggin' my ears.

Date: July 11, 2010 05:29

tatters
keefriffhard4life
tatters

Okay, dad.

ears ringing mean you just damaged your hearing. its nothing "cool" or "hardcore" about it. would you keep lifting weights so heavy that you tear a muscle everytime? no because you learn.

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: July 11, 2010 06:04

Jeff Beck: Rochester Jazz Festival 2010 (Late Show) [best concert i've ever been to as well] Plus, you can't beat the sound there. I am considering retiring from concert going, it was just that good. And i've never seen the Stones!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 11, 2010 06:14

wasp opening for kiss about 25 years ago, they were so loud it was unreal

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1600
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home