Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: What Was The Loudest Concert You Ever Attended?
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: January 11, 2008 20:07

Motorhead is often mentionned. Lemmy always wanted to play more than 100 db like The Who who used to play 105 db (the Concord made a 110 db when taking off)

Satch plays always very loud. Too much. Other musicians are drowned.
I remember Paris Olympia 2000. I have taped it and it is very loud.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 11, 2008 21:11

hoodooyouvoodoo
Stones at the Astoria. Deafening. I was lucky to be in there but it was TOO loud for such a small place.

Increasingly these days every gig I go to I need to waer plugs or it hurts. Why do these guys stand behind rows of flashing lights on a fancy board at the back of the hall and produece sound that is painfully loud?? Are THEY deaf?

I prefer concerts LOUD and also bring earplugs. In my experience, large venue shows aren't loud enough, but if people can hear their own voices over the music then that's all they7 are going to want to listen to.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 12, 2008 01:38

You're right about Cheap Trick! They were great but loud! That time I saw Aerosmith, FUEL opened for them and I had to leave the arena until they finished! Guns'N Ross were violently loud too back in the day, right after " Appetite For Destruction" came out.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 12, 2008 01:42

.....correct and final answer is...The WHO.......and by the way.....Townsend is deaf in one ear....

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: January 12, 2008 01:50

I gotta say, I saw the Who in 2002 and they were LOUD! It mustve been great seeing them in the 70s before they turned down their amps from 11 to 10.

Date: January 12, 2008 01:59

Yes, it was awesome seeing the WHO in the '70's. I saw them very close 4 times, caught Keith's drumstick, made eye contact with all ther boys from the second row and as a result could not hear ANYTHING for days! It really scared me! It has been said that they were louder than a 747 going overhead, continuously for 2 hours+. OUCH! Even with earplugs( I got smart after the second time) it was deafening but thrilling to hear all of " Tommy" and " Who's Next" and lots from Happy Jack, and Who For Sale.( Is that the album with the baked beans on the cover and Townsend putting on deodorant?) Most shows were exactly like " Live At Leeds". They've always been a favorite live band of mine.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: January 12, 2008 03:34

Wow Mickschix, you saw Tommy live? That mustve been awesome! Louder than a 747, eh? Cool.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: January 12, 2008 04:19

<<Who For Sale.( Is that the album with the baked beans on the cover and Townsend putting on deodorant?) >>

The actual title is 'The Who Sell Out'.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 12, 2008 05:39

Happy Jack
I gotta say, I saw the Who in 2002 and they were LOUD! It mustve been great seeing them in the 70s before they turned down their amps from 11 to 10.

Pete now sets his amps at 3. Occassionally, he will twiddle his knobs, and then hold up four fingers, meaning he has turned up to 4. That's why it was so great that as recently as 2001, you could still go see the John Entwistle Band, and get SOME sense of what the Who actually used to sound like. John was able to play much, much louder with his own band than Pete allowed him to play with the Who.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-12 05:42 by tatters.

Date: January 12, 2008 06:13

mickschix
Yes, .............made eye contact with all ther boys from the second row and as a result could not hear ANYTHING for days! It really scared me! It has been said that they were louder than a 747 going overhead, continuously for 2 hours+. OUCH! Even with earplugs

By far the loudest show I have ever been to at Madison Square Garden in 1979. My ears were humming/ringing for days....5th row right off Entwistles side..I had never seen so many speakers before....a lot of white light and incredible deafining noise..they were a wrecking crew...the music pulsed in your chest and exited out the sides of your head that caused ringing in your ears for days....

Date: January 12, 2008 09:09

for me,
Aerosmith 1993 Hampton Va
Duran Duran (for real, and sounded good)Portsmouth, Va 2005
LCD Soundsystem - Virgin Festival - 2007
Most Smashing Pumpkins shows
Kid Rock, although mostly from pyros from almost every song
I think i remember an Ozzy show one time that was a bit too much, and of course Ted Nugent

I wanted The Who to be really loud at Virgin Fest 2007, but they weren't at all, they were however in 1997 a little louder

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: January 12, 2008 12:19

Alice Cooper, Motorhead, Toby Keith

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 12, 2008 13:35

Three mentions:

1.- First time I saw The Stones in 1998. Probably not ultra high, but it was my first big concert.

2.- Horsens 2006. I stood in Keith's side. Right in front of me, and about the same height as my ears was this small loudspeaker. Only thing I could hear from it was Keith's guitar. It takes a few numbers to make the sound right for the sound crew. But until they got it right I was in Keef heaven with sterling licks on IORR and Bitch. My skull shook loose from the spine from that.

3.- Helter Skelter by Macca in Horsens 2004. THAT was loud.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: January 12, 2008 14:23

The Who at Leicester Granby Hall in the 70's and...The Stones at the O2 #2 - i saw all 3 but the Thursday was very very loud indeed

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: January 12, 2008 14:44

Rolling Stones, London II, August 23rd 2007 eye popping smiley

Date: January 12, 2008 15:56

Rip This
mickschix
Yes, .............made eye contact with all ther boys from the second row and as a result could not hear ANYTHING for days! It really scared me! It has been said that they were louder than a 747 going overhead, continuously for 2 hours+. OUCH! Even with earplugs

By far the loudest show I have ever been to at Madison Square Garden in 1979. My ears were humming/ringing for days....5th row right off Entwistles side..I had never seen so many speakers before....a lot of white light and incredible deafining noise..they were a wrecking crew...the music pulsed in your chest and exited out the sides of your head that caused ringing in your ears for days....

I was there. You've heard the expression Wall Of Sound? This was a tidal wave of sound.

Date: January 12, 2008 16:00

JumpingKentFlash
Three mentions:

3.- Helter Skelter by Macca in Horsens 2004. THAT was loud.

It was, as was I've Got A Feeling, and I really enjoyed both those songs, but you know what was REALLY loud? When Wings encored with "Soily" (B-side of the 'live' "Maybe I'm Amazed" single), in 1976. Deafening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-11 02:11 by tatters.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 12, 2008 16:04

tatters
JumpingKentFlash
It was, as was I've Got A Feeling, and I really enjoyed both those songs quote]

You saw that concert too? I loved it. Also a very loud one from that concert was the opening song Jet (Amazing song too).

JumpingKentFlash

Date: January 12, 2008 16:13

JumpingKentFlash
tatters
JumpingKentFlash
It was, as was I've Got A Feeling, and I really enjoyed both those songs quote]

You saw that concert too? I loved it. Also a very loud one from that concert was the opening song Jet (Amazing song too).

Yeah, they played everything with a much harder edge than anyone who had previouly heard only the studio versions could have expected. Soily was really a surprise though. Very much in the Beatles tradition of having the show end with Paul screaming out a big, loud rocker, like he did with Long Tall Sally and I'm Down.

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: January 12, 2008 16:25

Surely though, it doesn't matter how much the band might have their amps turned up on stage? The real power lies with the sound engineer. If the PA was big enough a soundman could probably make Celine Dion louder than Motorhead, non?

Date: January 12, 2008 17:36

Thanks SOHOE, yes, the WHO SELL OUT is the correct name of that album. I forgot, I had seen the WHO after Moon died and it was in the 80's and they were loud but not as bad as in the 70's....I think Moon's pounding of the drums had alot to do with the noise level!!

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: January 12, 2008 20:49

Led Zeppelin - MSG 1970

Grand Funk Railroad - MSG 1970

Johnny Winter - Shea Stadium summer 1972(a political fundraiser)

Rolling Stones - MSG 1975

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: January 12, 2008 20:58

That's why it was so great that as recently as 2001, you could still go see the John Entwistle Band, and get SOME sense of what the Who actually used to sound like. John was able to play much, much louder with his own band than Pete allowed him to play with the Who.

I've just bought and seen/heard the DVD "Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who".
I've never really gotten The Who before except for a few songs but it was quite fascinating to hear on the DVD the dissection of their sound.

Now, I understand a little more.

I also understand why I would probably not spend money on a concert with The Who these days. They are just not the same band live without John and Keith!! They are not even close to being the same band live! Their sound is so dependent on that drummer and that bass-player - much more so than any other band I can think of.

Would be like The Stones without Keef.

Date: January 13, 2008 00:38

.....The Who 30 yrs ago were a revelation in edgy explosive music........no way Townsend (or anyone else around that long) can emulate that 30 years later....

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 13, 2008 04:24

I wasn't there,but I have heard that when Metallica played the Berkeley Community Theatre with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra years ago. That was an incredibly loud concert. As loud as Metallica plays,together with a full orchestra. Just listening to the cd,it sounds like a wall of sound.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: January 13, 2008 05:47

Yes, HAPPY JACK, I actually saw the WHO perform all of TOMMY 3 times; my Dad was a saint of a man and he dropped my best friend and I off at one of these performances at a place called TANGLEWOOD in Lenox, Ma. (It was the summer of '71.) It's a shed with a roof and open sides leading out to a lawn where huge screens were set up for the outside crowd. He came early to pick us up and the guards let him in, onto the grounds and he actually stood right at the top of the lawn and watched the end of the show. He loved our music, and when it was over and we found him by the gate he told us how amazed he was at the power of that performance! I'll never forget him saying how moved he'd been by the WHO, and how he felt the energy from the band and the crowd. We'd all lite matches at the finale and of course ole Pete was doing the forward rolls as he played and the windmill which Dad thought was so cool! Everyone was standing on their seats, throwing hands into the air, it was explosive! He did comment on the volumn, saying his medals were moving on his chest, even from the back of the hall! I know he worried about our hearing, but hey, it was my passion and I went to a ton of concerts, thanks to him.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: January 13, 2008 07:22

.... fatman, at nagasaki, 1945.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: January 13, 2008 09:26

Led Zeppelin, L.A. Forum, 1977 (twice!)

And the queen is bravely shouting,
"What the hell is going on?"

Posted by: tydyelady ()
Date: January 13, 2008 10:47

Skid Row, Idid'nt want to see them but they were opening up for Guns n Roses. The LA Forum i think in 1990

Yep, that was a loud one for sure, and also agree with the 2 Zep concerts at the LA forum in 1977.
Early WHO concerts were also ear splitting.
The last few Ozzfests were also loud - Lamb of God, Priest, etc., as are Motley Crue shows - Tommy's drums blow you out of your seat.
But I think the loudest ever was Blue Cheer in the 60's in a small club in Chicago. I had the honor of being lifted on stage, right in front of an amp. At the time I was ecstatic, I believe my hearing loss started then.
Ear Plugs for the past 20 years cant repair the damage that was already done, just prevents more.

Date: January 13, 2008 16:10

mofur

That's why it was so great that as recently as 2001, you could still go see the John Entwistle Band, and get SOME sense of what the Who actually used to sound like. John was able to play much, much louder with his own band than Pete allowed him to play with the Who.

I've just bought and seen/heard the DVD "Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who".
I've never really gotten The Who before except for a few songs but it was quite fascinating to hear on the DVD the dissection of their sound.

Now, I understand a little more.

I also understand why I would probably not spend money on a concert with The Who these days. They are just not the same band live without John and Keith!! They are not even close to being the same band live! Their sound is so dependent on that drummer and that bass-player - much more so than any other band I can think of.

Would be like The Stones without Keef.

The interesting thing about seeing John play with his own band is that it was kind of like seeing what the Who would have been like if John and Pete had reversed roles; if John had been their leader and Pete had just been an innovative guitarist whose amps were turned down too low and who was allowed to contribute one song on every album. I think this was John's way of beating on his chest a little and saying "THIS is what I brought to the table. I had a MUCH biggger part in this music than you realize" It wasn't as good as the Who, because John wasn't the songwriter Pete was, but it was still an amazing thing to hear, especially in a small club. It really WAS almost like seeing the Who in a club, or at least, seeing an incredible Who cover band that just happened to have the actual Who bassist as a member.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1827
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home