Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: What Was The Loudest Concert You Ever Attended?
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 20, 2010 18:44

Brue
The WHo> at Capital Centre December 79. First concert I saw with the speakers hanging from the ceiling, and they were pointed directly at me and I couldn't escape. Had to lip read for at least a week.

....MSG.....just off the stage.....I can still hear the ringing in my ears.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: October 6, 2010 21:35

Milan
Motörhead, Belgrade/Serbia, 26. VII 2002. Proper hearing came back in 3 days if memory serves.

No wait; this one was louder --

Posted by: tomremi ()
Date: October 6, 2010 21:43

MUSE in Bergen.
The drums during MK Jam was insane!

-TomR

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 6, 2010 21:50

Lollapalooza at some race track outside Houston in 92, 91?. During Ministry's set, I laid on the dirt ground and literally tried to tune it out. It really did sound like an industrial explosion.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: October 6, 2010 22:20

stupidguy2
Lollapalooza at some race track outside Houston in 92, 91?. During Ministry's set, I laid on the dirt ground and literally tried to tune it out. It really did sound like an industrial explosion.

I saw Ministry on that Lollapalooza tour...that was '92 (I remember 'cuz it wasn't long after my divorce). Ministry was indeed friggin' LOUD!

They were one of my favorite bands during that period, and I really enjoyed that show. It was one of the wildest concerts I've ever been to. It was outdoors, of course, and I was towards the back, up on the lawn area. There was a mosh pit raging down front...apparently everyone in the mosh pit knew each other and had a plan. At a certain part during the second or third song Ministry played, everyone in the mosh pit all ran out and scattered in the crowd, and the whole place turned into one big mosh pit. I've never seen anything like it.

A lot of people had blankets out on the lawn. Some groups of guys were holding blankets tight up in the air, and throwing people way up in the air with them, like trampolines. Other people started setting fire to their blankets, and there were fights and topless women everywhere. While all this was happening, a police helicopter was circling low overhead, but they were pissed off because they couldn't do any crowd control from up there! That was one hell of a wild time.

About a year later I saw Motorhead in a medium size club, and they were loud as hell too. I was doing peyote, and had to keep going to the bathroom to throw up. I kept chugging beer between hurls. It freaked everybody in the bathroom out, they all ran out of there like I was some sort of monster, lol. Fun night.

The loudest show I may have ever been to was the first time I saw the Butthole Surfers, which was in '87 or '88. It was a small club and I was right up front. They had a row of Marshall cabs on each side of the stage, and they were dimed. Gibby came out smoking a huge joint, must've been about an 1/8 oz rolled into one huge spleef. He passed it to the audience, and I got a couple of big hits off of it. They had a naked girl dancing with them that night with a boa constrictor, and they almost set the place on fire a couple of times. My ears rang for days.

I've seen'em several times since then, but they were never as crazy, or loud, as that night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-06 22:22 by Keefan.

Posted by: melvin ()
Date: October 6, 2010 22:28

Deep Purple, Boston Garden, Boston, Massachusetts I had plug my ears it was so loud.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 6, 2010 22:41

Hello,

Withoout a doubt my latest,loudest concert experience was enduring Suicide for about 8 minutes before running to the bar for sanctuary. They were the warm-up act for Iggy & The Stooges last May in London.

I cannot convey just how insanely unbearable they were: way worse than Motorhead. To add insult to possible aural injury, the bar was @#$%& busy with many other Suicide 'fugees too!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 6, 2010 23:37

Lou Reed - Hamburg Grosse Freiheit (a club near Reeperbahn) in 2000. The bass was more than loud and it was the only show in the last 15 years that I had forgotten my ear plugs at home.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: October 7, 2010 00:16

Damn Yankees, 1993. I couldn't even describe how loud it was. It was unbearable.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: October 7, 2010 00:22

[rlv.zcache.com]

I had this sticker on my turntable as a kid. Seems it still rings true today.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 7, 2010 00:24

No Joke....Taylor Hicks

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: October 7, 2010 00:27

Jim Jones Revue last week. Sonically unbelievable - thank God for earplugs!

Brilliant though! Highly recommended if you can catch 'em.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: October 7, 2010 00:33

I honestly don't recall ever thinking a show was excessively loud. Do we all understand that ringing in your ears is normal after a show??

I would like to state that they quietest show ever was the Stones! My first time seeing them was in the Bridges tour in 1997 at Sun Devil Stadium. Now this was also the first stadium show I had been to and to this day, the only one I have seen that had no roof. It was so quiet that it kinda ruined the experience for me. It didn't sounds loud enough to be a live concert. My seats were pretty far up there but anytime you are at a rock show and you can talk normally to the person next to you during a song, something is wrong! It was like I was watching on TV or something. I've had more volume in a movie theatre.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: October 7, 2010 00:34

Helmet in 1993 in a glorified gymnasium in Salem, Oregon. So loud everything was distorted and kind of pointless.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 7, 2010 00:46

Stood literally in the front of the stage at a Jethro Tull/Led Zeppelin show in 1969 at The Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino. It may not have been the loudest but it was loud to me! Same venue for an Iron Butterfly show, where they recorded it for a live album in 1969. Very loud!

In recent years, in Seattle when Motley Crue opened for the Stones, they were extremely loud. I went to the lobby area until they finished.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 7, 2010 03:22

Keefan
stupidguy2

I saw Ministry on that Lollapalooza tour...that was '92 (I remember 'cuz it wasn't long after my divorce). Ministry was indeed friggin' LOUD!

They were one of my favorite bands during that period, and I really enjoyed that show. It was one of the wildest concerts I've ever been to. It was outdoors, of course, and I was towards the back, up on the lawn area. There was a mosh pit raging down front...apparently everyone in the mosh pit knew each other and had a plan. At a certain part during the second or third song Ministry played, everyone in the mosh pit all ran out and scattered in the crowd, and the whole place turned into one big mosh pit. I've never seen anything like it.

A lot of people had blankets out on the lawn. Some groups of guys were holding blankets tight up in the air, and throwing people way up in the air with them, like trampolines. Other people started setting fire to their blankets, and there were fights and topless women everywhere. While all this was happening, a police helicopter was circling low overhead, but they were pissed off because they couldn't do any crowd control from up there! That was one hell of a wild time.

quote]

Yup,
The logistics where I saw it sucked though. It had just rained and if you've never been in Texas in the summer......humid as hell and mudddy. SO it was uncomforfable, but crazy. I also remember the Chilli Peppers and L.L. Cool J.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 7, 2010 04:21

the who. central park nyc . free concert summer 68 mebbe 67 jeesh ...not sure but can check. linda ronstadt on the bill too cocurrent with her album cover necking w a pig. she was startling great. the who come on and its nakasaki. the literal sonic blast them big amps puts u just on another planet. it changes the weather. man. and tall skinny guy is like eight feet in the air and every time he come down its a tsunami subway wreck explosion and the laws of physics break down in the rubbled apocalypse of everything that came before. . tasty. .i like it. may i please have some more.... the who may have invented that kind of loud. craazzzy. like the who versus the very forces of nature. and the who wins. and theyre snotty about it. love them.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 7, 2010 04:25

ACDC in Buffalo at the Aud. My ears are still ringing.

Posted by: Russlan ()
Date: October 7, 2010 04:28

The Fall, Seatle '93

The force of sound was moving my pint of beer around the table.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: October 7, 2010 06:34

The most painful was Ozzy in Memphis in about 1983. I literally sat down and put my fingers in my ears.

Damn - I already responded to this January 11, 2008 00:50 - my answer is still the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-07 06:44 by Rialb.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 7, 2010 07:12

Ted Nugent 1975 LA Forum. 15 rows back. My brain bled for the first time.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: October 7, 2010 11:22

Rory Gallagher 1994 in Besançon, France
small city, small venue but huge sound level !
the level increased step by step
last song was like a sound fusion ...

Pixies in Paris a few years ago
at the end I though that the big sound was to hide the lack of rehearsing ...

Date: October 7, 2010 12:45

King Crimson in Italy with Eddie Jobson on violin. It had me humming for days afterwards.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: October 7, 2010 13:39

I've heard some loud bands in my time, but the loudest band I have ever heard was Kingdom Come.

Led Zep copyists from the eighties, absolutely made me feel my brain shake inside my skull, I couldn't actually believe it was that loud. Feared I might be doing some permanent damage. maybe it did. Fantastic! thumbs up

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 7, 2010 14:00

my gut feeling says

Stones Hanover 1982

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: October 7, 2010 15:27

AC/DC or Van Halen....everywhere.....earplugs required

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 7, 2010 16:47

lettingitbleed
I honestly don't recall ever thinking a show was excessively loud. Do we all understand that ringing in your ears is normal after a show??

I would like to state that they quietest show ever was the Stones! My first time seeing them was in the Bridges tour in 1997 at Sun Devil Stadium. Now this was also the first stadium show I had been to and to this day, the only one I have seen that had no roof. It was so quiet that it kinda ruined the experience for me. It didn't sounds loud enough to be a live concert. My seats were pretty far up there but anytime you are at a rock show and you can talk normally to the person next to you during a song, something is wrong! It was like I was watching on TV or something. I've had more volume in a movie theatre.

I wouldn't rank the Stones as being among the quietest of bands, but I've certainly never thought of them as being particularly loud either. In fact, one of my complaints about seeing them live is that they aren't nearly loud enough. Btw, there is also a companion "Quietest Concert You Ever Saw" thread. I'll see if I can give it a bump.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: October 7, 2010 19:10

The Flower Kings in 2003 Unfold The Future Tour in Krakow. Too close to speakers.
but that's nothing when i think about Joe Satriani Set during G3 tour. It was an Arena show but i escaped. I'm not Satch big fan anymore, like Vai

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: October 7, 2010 19:39

Pigface at the Fast Lane in Asbury Park, New Jersey...

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home