Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

jaggers singing on dirty work
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: January 6, 2008 18:37

am i wrong or does jagger have a very special way of singing on that album? to me ist sounds like on most of the songs his kinda yelling with a scratchy voice. never really liked that. fortunately he only did that on DW. still love the album (exept for BTZ, TR and WU)!

Re: jaggers singing on dirty work
Date: January 6, 2008 18:39

Love it. He also does it on Undercover, She´s The Boss and Steel Wheels.

Date: January 6, 2008 18:41

you're right. but not throughout the whole albums.
so it was kind of an 80-ies style? ;-)

Date: January 6, 2008 18:48

Kind of getting old and trying to find a new signature style when you can´t reach the high notes as well as before-style, maybe?

When he´s too extreme I don´t like it either. Like on Hold Back. But Dirty Work, Fight, Undercover and Lonely At The Top are examples of where he´s succeeding IMO.

Date: January 6, 2008 18:53

without getting too psychological: to me it also sounds a bit like: "hey i'm still here, i'm still wild, i still have something to say, i'm not an old fart!"
a bit later (mid 90ies) he accepted his age and his whole behaviour got more relaxed (also his voice) and a lot cooler!
yeah on hold back his singing really destroys a cool song. also fight is too much. i agree on undercover and the she's the boss stuff.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: January 6, 2008 18:54

That was when he was desperate to prove he and the band still had energy so he basically screamed like someone was hitting him with a hot poker over the lackluster tracks. Don't Hold Back is the nadir.

Date: January 6, 2008 18:56

thats what i wanted to say... ;-)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 6, 2008 18:57

>> When he´s too extreme I don´t like it either. Like on Hold Back. <<

it does get a bit monotonous on DW the album, and yeah i agree about Hold Back.
but it's pretty effective when used judiciously. (and for the record: i love DW the album -
Mick's vocal performances are not the album's strongest point, but some of them are great too.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-06 19:47 by with sssoul.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 6, 2008 19:06

The end of ''Hold back'' gets me wild!!

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: January 6, 2008 19:28

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-24 17:22 by parislocksmith.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 6, 2008 19:41

it may be juvenile of me--I was about to turn teen-aged when DW came out--but I love it too. It's sort of a "professional rage," which I admire. To me, it doesn't actually sound like he's angry, but that he can't be bothered to express any other emotion.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: January 7, 2008 02:29

Although he is tolerable on some songs on DW, Jagger's singing was at an all-time low. Especially on Hold Back, which is definitely NOT a "first-rate number".

Date: January 7, 2008 05:00

definitely not. the song itself rocks, but his voice...well, i love you mick, but that could have been better.....

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 7, 2008 05:03

Remember what Mr. Idol said - he can't sing but sounds great

Posted by: dixiecup ()
Date: January 7, 2008 05:36

he is on...

something to take the wife to you know...

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: January 7, 2008 07:53

Coke

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 7, 2008 08:15

guitarbastard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> definitely not. the song itself rocks, but his
> voice...well, i love you mick, but that could have
> been better.....

I agree.

But I really like Winning Ugly, One Hit, Fight and Dirty Work.

They should try some of those on stage. Could be one of those surprises like She Was Hot last year.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: January 7, 2008 16:17

Jagger`s singing in the 80`s was more exciting than nowadays during tours.This pretending to be young and rave has been interesting , significant and noticeable more than todays sloppyness . no existance of higher notes etc (She was hot , Sway and many more)
...sorry for my English....

Date: January 7, 2008 20:51

Guðni Gunnarsson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> guitarbastard Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > definitely not. the song itself rocks, but his
> > voice...well, i love you mick, but that could
> have
> > been better.....
>
> I agree.
>
> But I really like Winning Ugly, One Hit, Fight and
> Dirty Work.
>
> They should try some of those on stage. Could be
> one of those surprises like She Was Hot last year.

There's a better chance of them doing a spunk version of Indian Girl

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 7, 2008 23:26

I think the singing style on Hold Back in particular is dreadful... ("If yeew lock enn your hee-staw-ray booooks...") but in addition the vocals are too prominent!! AND the lyrics are kinda dumb too. This is my #1 least favorite of all Stones tunes! I'd rather listen to my old Satanic Majesties LP skipping on Bill Wyman's snoring for 4 minutes than listen to HB, just because it is so awful coming after what I think was a great album (Undercover), I just get angry at the Stones for such a weak effort in DW. There is some potential in some of the above songs mentioned, but thhey all needed much more work, better singing, better mixing, better everything. I always though 'Fight' would have been a real classic had it been recorded/ mixed in the vein of 'Lies' and 'Where The Boys Are'. Take Mick's vocals down a bit, take the flem out of his throat, bring the drums WAAAY down (as with the whole album) and you've got a much better tune!

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: January 8, 2008 00:30

i dont like dirtywork, jaggers vocals ruin it, and most of the songs wernt that good either.

dirtywork just seemed lazy and one dimensional to me.

steel wheels was all about getting the band back to form, and back onto the radio.

to be honest i would be embarrassed to admit anything from dirtywork was the rolling stones.

it dosent show them up in a good light.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: January 8, 2008 01:51

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-24 16:30 by parislocksmith.

Posted by: iamwaiting ()
Date: January 8, 2008 05:30

I love Jagger's vocals, but not on Hold Back and Dirty Work and about half of his solo work. But he came back and did some amazing vocals on Steel Wheels, especially Break the Spell, Continental Drift and Almost Hear You Sigh IMO.

Date: January 8, 2008 10:54

If Jagger sings as good as he does on Fight on the next record (if there'll be one?) I would be a happy man...

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 8, 2008 21:50

Sorry, sometimes I am a bit hyper-opinionated! Dirty Work is a touchy subject... I remember waiting SOOO long for that album to be released, and was so very disappointed when I finally got it. By that time I was 13 and a rabid Stones fan, eager to see them live for the first time. I would have to wait until 1989, when I was 17, before I saw them live! But, being the Rolling Stones, there are hints of potential in those songs on DW... just not what I was hoping for.

As for those songs like 'Lies' and 'Where the Boys Go,' they have a real gritty guitar sound that is rich and the vocal is mixed fairly low, creating a terrific energy. Those songs on DW sound very forced in comparison... but that's just my opinion. winking smiley Maybe I need to haul this one out of the vaults and give it another chance?

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 9, 2008 02:08

I like Mick's singing on DW, and like the album as well. Rather hear him scream or growl than over pronounce words. But it probably takes a toll on your throat to sing like that.

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: January 9, 2008 04:15

Sounded like he Jagger wanted to hurry and get the album done and didn't care how it sounded because he was into his solo effort at the time. However, he should have made Dirty work a good one. First song is great then it all goes down hill afterwards. This could have been a really good Stones album. Guess I need to give it another listen. drummer_dude

Date: January 9, 2008 10:23

<Rather hear him scream or growl than over pronounce words.>

Couldn't agree more. The over-pronouncing is what he's doing on the newer records. Streets Of Love, for instance, annoys me...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1462
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home