Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Philip Townsend & that may 1963 photo session
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 6, 2008 22:23

So basically all of the shots which show Brian, Mick and Keith with white shirts on are by Crispian Woodgate, whilst the others where they have polo necks/jumpers are by Philip Townsend?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 6, 2008 23:04

well ... almost!

the ones where all five Stones have black polo necks/jumpers on are from Townsend's may 4th shoot.
the one in Off the Record (page 110) and Rolling With the Stones (page 57) is by Crispian Woodgate.
the three we've got posted where Brian, Keith and Mick have white shirts on are not by Philip Townsend.
since they look an awful lot like the one we know is Woodgate's, we can hypothesize that they're also his -
but i think this thread is a pretty clear lesson in not assuming similar photos are all by the same person.

oh and Mr Townsend also said that "Decca postcard" with autographs i posted a few pages back is by Woodgate.

Re: more may 1963 photo sessions
Date: January 12, 2008 16:45

one more try at sorting out the may 1963 photo shoots and the various different accounts of them -
man this is confusing!

Philip Townsend took the photos where all the Stones are wearing black polo necks, for example:

- both may 4th 1963, both by Philip Townsend

on page 58 of Rolling With the Stones Bill confirms that that shoot was on may 4th,
before the Battersea Park gig - but the photo he uses as an example is not one that Townsend took -
it's from some other shoot, some other day, by some other photographer - but who and when??

- may 1963, courtesy of Adi Tyler

Mr Townsend has told us that the photo facing page 110 of Paytress's Off the Record is by Crispian Woodgate.
would someone be able to scan that one and post it for us, please and thank you kindly?
the Stones appear to be dressed exactly the same way in that one as in the one above,
so wouldn't it be nice if they were by the same photographer?!

but then look at this - the Stones are also dressed exactly the same way in this shot credited to Cyrus Andrews: [www.musicpictures.com]

the great shot chippy posted for us a few pages ago is also credited to Cyrus Andrews,
and it sure looks like the same occasion, doesn't it:

so ... who is Cyrus Andrews - did he and Woodgate work together, or did he and Woodgate
do two very similar sessions very close together in time and space, or ... ???

meanwhile, on page 218 of Stoned ALO mentions a photo shoot by Crispian Woodgate,
but (as noted earlier in this thread) he's clearly confusing two (or more) different occasions.

a different may 1963 photo shoot is described by James Phelge on pages 139-140 of Nankering With the Stones.
he doesn't specify a date for it or name the photographer, but he seems to be describing these beautiful shots:

- may 1963

on page 297 of Stoned ALO credits a really similar shot to Tony Gale - does anyone know any more about him?
googling the name doesn't help much - all i get are a footballer and a NYC-based photographer too young to have taken those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-12 17:04 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 12, 2008 17:26

with sssoul
ALO credits a really similar shot to Tony Gale - does anyone know any more about him?
googling the name doesn't help much - all i get are a footballer and a NYC-based photographer too young to have taken those.

No - but Pete Townshend might!

Mick Wall, Classic Rock
5 star review

Compiled by Classic Rock photographer Ross Halfin with text from Pete Townshend, Roger daltrey and John Entwistle, Maximum Who is the follow up to Halfin?s last stupendous picture book, Who Live.

Not available in shops, but only as a strictly limited edition of 1,500 numbered copies, signed by Ross, Maximum Who features rare and never before seen pictures by the likes of Colin Jones, Dominique Tarle, David Wedgebury, [size=x-large

Tony Gale,[/size] Chris Morphet and Baron Wolman (the six photographers most closely asociated with the band throughout the 1960s).
]

From [thewhoinprint.com]

Date: January 12, 2008 17:32

thank you Beast my dear! maybe Genesis has more details on him - anyway i can ask!

Date: January 14, 2008 12:36

making myself as small & cute as i can: does anyone have a scanner, a copy of Off the Record,
and the time & good will to scan & post the photo facing page 110?
that's the one that Philip Townsend has told us is by Crispian Woodgate, although it's very very similar
to photos that are attributed in chippy's source and on the musicphotos.com site to Cyrus Andrews.
it would be beautiful if someone could post it for us, please please and thank you kindly

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-14 13:58 by with sssoul.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: January 14, 2008 14:08

I can, with sssoul, but you'll have to wait till tonite, since I am at school right now.....

Posted by: Christian ()
Date: January 14, 2008 15:31

Date: January 14, 2008 16:33

thanks Christian! and thanks the juf too, if you can still scan it when you get home :E

Date: January 14, 2008 16:59

or maybe this is clear enough ... if these weren't both taken by the same person,
then doesn't it seem like two photographers must have taken them at the same place & time?

the one on the left (courtesy of Rockman) is credited to Cyrus Andrews on the musicphoto.com site;
the one on the right (courtesy of Christian) is the one Philip Townsend said was taken by Crispian Woodgate.
so ... is one of the photos misattributed? or were Cyrus and Crispian partners? or are they the same person, using a pseudonym/alias?
or did Cyrus acquire the rights to Crispian's photos? it's a mystery!

the details in the one Adi Tyler posted for us aren't super clear, but it sure looks like the same setting/occasion:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-14 17:02 by with sssoul.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: January 14, 2008 18:04

with sssoul
thanks Christian! and thanks the juf too, if you can still scan it when you get home :E

I will do my best.......

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 14, 2008 22:46

I was testing all the new option and by mistake I clicked on the "save Changes"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-14 22:47 by NICOS.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 29, 2008 11:11

Any more (topics with) shots from the early days?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 29, 2008 13:05

Not sure when this was taken exactly but it was around that time. I got it in a whole batch of 60s promo shots sent to me by Decca in 1976. It's not that rare but I like the mean and moody look compared to the cute, smiling nice boys image The Beatles were projecting at that time.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: July 29, 2008 14:28

I think this is another pix from the Philip Townsend collection. It was used for several singles covers.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 29, 2008 17:25

"I like the mean and moody look compared to the cute, smiling nice boys image The Beatles were projecting at that time."

There was a mercifully brief time in 1963 when ALO still had fantasies of forcibly turning the Stones into a second Beatles, and tried dressing them accordingly. Remember that ALL groups in those days were expected to wear a stage uniform - it was the Stones who broke that particular mould once and for all.

Shots below by Dezo Hoffman, credited as 19th July 1963, from "The Rolling Stones: Street Fighting Years" by Stephen Barnard:

Dezo Hoffman says: "Brian didn't have any cufflinks, so I lent him mine - they were gold, a wedding present from my wife. I never got them back, and later I heard that Brian had given a pair of gold cufflinks to Bo Diddley."

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1700
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home