Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
She's So Cold
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 12, 2007 08:04

I really liked this one on the last tour. Wonder if they will keep it permanently in the set list for coming tours or if it was a one-off kind of deal.

Even if a one time deal, glad they played it. Totally rocked.

Other Bigger Bang highlights for me, performance-wise: Oh No Not You Again, 19th Nervous Breakdown. Shattered, and (of course!) She Was Hot.

(Did they play @#$%&? Can't remember, and wouldn't want to put that on the list if I didn't know for sure they played it.)

Re: She's So Cold
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 12, 2007 08:08

Guess there is a strong Emotional Rescue theme to my posts tonight!

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: December 12, 2007 11:15

this song i always loved (in total contrast to Indian Girl)! In fact it was then when i became a stones fan)!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 12, 2007 15:44

I thought it one of the best numbers of the ABB tour too. Some of Keith's most effective guitar...he seemed really into this one.

Posted by: The Biggest Bong ()
Date: December 12, 2007 15:45

a highlight of the '05 pdx show - mick dedicated it to all the fans who came down from canada!

i dedicated it to the girl i was with at the show . . . my soon to be ex, at the time . . .

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: December 12, 2007 18:05

The Biggest Bong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> a highlight of the '05 pdx show - mick dedicated
> it to all the fans who came down from canada!
>
> i dedicated it to the girl i was with at the show
> . . . my soon to be ex, at the time . . .

Ha Ha Ha very funny Lol

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: December 12, 2007 20:44

I remember singing along with song on opening night at Fenway. I knew the song better than Jagger. I loved it, but they barely remembered the verse and chorus sequences.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: December 12, 2007 20:47

Great song, and a highlight of the Bigger Bang shows I saw. Besides a very few amount of new songs played this is one I am so happy they brought out for the tour. So many more gems like this one that would be great on stage.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: December 12, 2007 20:50

True rocker & would be bound to B-stage. No arena song imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-12 21:33 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 12, 2007 21:32

I really liked it too. Always loved the studio song and the live version is different but just as good, if not better. Very glad to have heard it at two of the four BB shows I went to. I don't think they'll play it next time round; there's always a few they rehearse for one tour only to drop on the next one. (And with something like ten that they do every single show thank God for that!)

They didn't play @#$%& at a single BB show.

Date: December 12, 2007 23:54

rebelrebel Wrote:

> They didn't play @#$%& at a single BB show.

It was last heavily featured during the Licks tour...

It hasn't risen to the warhorse category...yet...

smiling smiley

Posted by: hooligan ()
Date: December 13, 2007 00:26

It's a good idea from them to sing it on stage again but i prefer the record version, they do the live one on a too quick rythm. It's my opinion.

Posted by: SEBI ()
Date: December 13, 2007 00:55

for me she´s so cold was the best song of the tour

Date: December 13, 2007 01:46

hooligan Wrote:
> It's a good idea from them to sing it on stage
> again but i prefer the record version, they do the
> live one on a too quick rythm. It's my opinion.

Agreed, I also hear She's so Cold & Shattered as rushed, too quick and often out of the groove as opposed to the recorded versions.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 13, 2007 14:45

Loved the original version from Emotional Rescue. Great tempo and a brilliant vocal.

They ruined it in 81/82 by speeding it up too fast, though in recent years, it's closer to it's original sound.

A general thumbs up.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 13, 2007 15:08

Likewise

hey Logie, you arriving over here tomorrow for the Springsteen show? Drop me an e-mail and let me know whats happening

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 13, 2007 15:26

Always wondered why they didn't put She's so cold on the 40 Licks compilation instead of Emotional rescue.

Date: December 13, 2007 15:54

simple answer. ER was the bigger hit.

In general, they stuck with the big 'hit'(ie, first single) off each album for Disc 2 of 40 Licks - with some of the better known albums getting an extra song or two.

the exception being 'Dirty work', which wasnt represented at all.

Obviously, the fact that this album's hit single was a cover and (unlike the rest of the post ACKCO songs) wouldnt have earned Mick and Keith publishing royalties had NOTHING to do with it's omission... smiling smiley

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: December 13, 2007 17:02

This was definitely a highlight of the tour. The guitars sounded a lot meaner than on the album. I loved it.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Date: December 13, 2007 18:34

marcovandereijk Wrote:
> Always wondered why they didn't put She's so cold
> on the 40 Licks compilation instead of Emotional
> rescue.

Also, why do they play She's so cold regularly in concert instead of Emotional Rescue?
Emotional Rescue is worthy of placement on 40 Licks but not in the setlist?

When was the last time they even played Emotional Rescue live? I can't remember and too lazy to look it up. smiling smiley

I thought it was the end for the Stones at the time they released it.
Many people at the time couldn't believe the Stones had "Gone Disco" which was blasphemy for some at the time.

I always viewed it as a fluff Disco filler song.

At this point, I'd like to hear them play it live just to say I heard them play it live at least once. Then I'd make my determination on whether or not it was a "Bathroom Song".

smiling smiley

Date: December 13, 2007 18:56

NumberOneStonesFan Wrote:
>
> Also, why do they play She's so cold regularly in
> concert instead of Emotional Rescue?

I would imagine because its too difficult to sing (especially 27 years later!), isnt a particularly good song plus the Stones are a bit reluctant to play too many songs that dont neatly fit into the 'big rock anthem' category.'Shes So Cold' isnt a 'regular' either. They played it throughout the 81-82 and then never again until late 2006.

> Emotional Rescue is worthy of placement on 40
> Licks but not in the setlist?

Its on 40 Licks because it was a top 10 hit, She's So Cold wasnt. Simple.

>
> When was the last time they even played Emotional
> Rescue live? I can't remember and too lazy to
> look it up. smiling smiley

theyve never played it. The only songs from Emotional Rescue ever played live have been Shes So Cold, Let Me Go (played only on the 81-82 tour), All About You (BTB tour) and Dance (played at the theatre shows on Licks)

Date: December 13, 2007 19:07

thanks.
i think they could play it live at least once...either Jagger brings it down several octaves or Keef kicks 'im in the nards real good!
lol
smiling smiley
...or have special guest Barry Gibb on stage for that one...
Heyyyyyyy, there you go!

I'd probably still go to bathroom and get another beer for half the song anyway.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 13, 2007 19:08

Let Me Go could do with another airing. Not a classic maybe...but a very good live rocker.

Date: December 13, 2007 19:11

Spud Wrote:
> Let Me Go could do with another airing. Not a
> classic maybe...but a very good live rocker.

Yeah, I remember hearing that when I saw them during the '81 Hartford shows.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 14, 2007 05:52

she's so cold sounds great on the ABB tour, definelty one of the highlights. Mick is having so much fun with it on the Austin Show. I like how towards the end, he does this move were he sticks his arm out as if he's testing the water in some imaginary pool.. its one of those things that makes sense in an abstract way. its a classic mick move.

Date: December 14, 2007 08:33

Gazza Wrote:
> 'Shes So Cold' isnt a
> 'regular' either. They played it throughout the
> 81-82 and then never again until late 2006.

I remember seeing/hearing them play 'She's So Cold' at the 2 Fenway Park, Boston MA opening shows in Aug 2005.

What was extra cool about it is my wife hates the song 'She's So Cold' and I had submitted it as part of my ABB setlist 'wishlist' submitted to rs.com during that particular pre-tour promotion. Anyway, my wife hates it, I submitted it and HOLY CRAP they played it for the first time in 23 years, both nights and right in my wifes face! It was priceless man.
So that's her bathroom song.

and BTW...94% of the songs on the setlist wishlist I submitted were played during ABB! So, if you didn't like their ABB tour setlists then blame me, if you did like them, then I did my part. I did not submit any ABB songs (Don't believe any were released at the time of the wishlist promotion anyway) and I didn't request any of the covers they performed during ABB.
Most of the material I requested was from between 1964 and 1981, with the bulk of requests coming from material recorded between 1968-1973.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-14 09:44 by NumberOneStonesFan.

Posted by: geoffc ()
Date: December 14, 2007 11:48

What happened to the sax solo in the middle of the studio version? It sounds to me as if there was a proper solo there originally, but then it was wiped, apart from the first few notes?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 14, 2007 17:56

I wasn't lucky enough to hear it during the ABB tour, but as much a I can judge from the DVDs, it is truly a highlit.

Posted by: hoodooyouvoodoo ()
Date: December 14, 2007 20:43

at Glasgow and Sheffield it was a fumbling mess of fluffed chord changes and discordant 'lead' lines. horrid

Posted by: jagbo ()
Date: December 14, 2007 21:16

I loved it on ABB tour - Every night Mick ended the song with different words.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home