Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bob Dylan covering "Brown Sugar"
Date: December 11, 2007 20:01

Could someone please post an mp3 of Bob Dylan covering this song? I know he covered it in 2002 or so and I'd really like to hear it.

Thank you very much in advance!

Re: Bob Dylan covering "Brown Sugar"
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: December 11, 2007 22:56

Sorry, I cannot post it as I don't have it anymore, but these links taken from "Expectingrain" should be some kind of help:
[rapidshare.de]
[rapidshare.de]

Bob played "Brown Sugar" on a few more dates on this tour,so please search for more entries around that time here:
[www.expectingrain.com]

Good luck!

Date: December 12, 2007 00:31

Thanks!

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: December 12, 2007 00:34

Uh...wouldn't like to hear that...ouch

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 12, 2007 00:39

I saw him do it in 2002, I think it was more or less a song to do for fun. They pretty much stuck true to the studio version from what I recall.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: December 12, 2007 01:27

it's an amazing and blistering performance. the guitars are totally energized and brilliant, played with real authority and joy...it's a killer; dylan's casual offhanded brilliance is all at once incredibly poignant and funny as hell...he kinda makes up the lyrics as he goes along and dosen't even start singing the first verse until it's like half way over...

it's a total treasure...i've been searching my mp3 archives for you but not coming up yet...if it does, i'll write again and leave my email or ask for yours to email it...(still haven't figured out how to just link mp3's i'm so computer lame...)
...it's worth the searching journey; really historical and hysterical but most importantly, it truly rocks...a brilliant version; totally dylan and totally wonderful wonderful guitar work...the boyz often don't play it as impactfully and with the blistering joy and crunch sexton and the other guitarist put into it that night...i think the version that was shared with me is from l.a. 2002,and it totally kills. very worthwhile imo.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 12, 2007 02:34

I have somewhere a crappy version of it on a CD-R, any idea what site I could use to upload it for your amusment?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 12, 2007 03:13

GO to Bobdylan.com and check out the performance section, it used to be on there. There are a lot of great live tunes on there that haven't been released. You can record using somehting like Audio Hijack.

Date: December 12, 2007 04:08

svendborg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Uh...wouldn't like to hear that...ouch

wow svendborg you're so overtly and vocally offended by any mention of Blondie at all that isn't sycophantic, but it's okay to diss Dylan and Charlie Sexton on a cut you've never even heard. interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-12 05:34 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: December 12, 2007 05:49

Dylan covering "Brown Sugar" live 2002

Hear here: [www.sendspace.com]

Date: December 12, 2007 07:08

haaha great bassplayer; you saved the day...now we've got to get those lyrics transcribed...lol
the first line of his second verse (ends 'i'm no schoolgirl but....')
the first line of that verse, just exactly what language is that?
LOL i LOVE this cut.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: December 12, 2007 07:27

I think it could be called "Bobberanto". He doesn't have a clue about the lyrics, but the band kicks ass, doesn't it? I love this version.

Date: December 12, 2007 07:40

Bobberanto?? LOL u cwazy son...
love it. i think the first time I heard it, via Norway's finest, Mr. Eric Snow, I called the lyrics 'vaguely brown sugarish' or something akin to that...yeh the band kicks it...and i seriously love bob's vocal...it's an homage and tribute to the glims that he'd even give it a try live...and he GOT THERE. i mean it rocks right out and i love his voice.
gosh to be there...that must've blown minds for the people there. i don't guess most of the fans would have been expecting that at all in a million years from him.
he was playing just piano that tour wasn't he? who's playing with charlie sexton there, do you know? i agree, band kicking major butt.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 12, 2007 18:15

The 2002 performances gave me the feeling that Bob wanted to show that his band could pull off this classic with the flip of the wrist. I saw him perform that song twice to a strong crowd response and each time I had a vague feeling he was putting us on. He made it fun and trivialized it at the same time. The Stones count on making it a grand moment on stage. Bob doesn't even bother with the words and it's still effective. That's Bob...playful and sly.

Love that Fall 2002 Bob time period. Get Red Bluff if you can.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 12, 2007 19:06

Beelyboy Wrote:
>> he was playing just piano that tour wasn't he?
> who's playing with charlie sexton there, do you
> know? i agree, band kicking major butt.

he did start regularly playing piano throughout the show on that leg, but on Brown Sugar, he's on guitar.

Charlie Sexton and Larry Campbell were the two guitarists on those late 2002 shows.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 12, 2007 19:13

>> The Stones count on making it a grand moment on stage. <<

smile: when i've been there, what the Stones count on is that it'll shake our tailfeathers,
and they're right. Bob's rendition rocks it on down too :E

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: December 13, 2007 01:57

Beelyboy Wrote:

> wow svendborg you're so overtly and vocally
> offended by any mention of Blondie at all that
> isn't sycophantic, but it's okay to diss Dylan and
> Charlie Sexton on a cut you've never even heard.
> interesting.

Simply don't see Dylan doing the song without making a mess of it, as he has done with some of his really great songs, when doing them live, that's all

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 13, 2007 02:01

svendborg Wrote:
> Simply don't see Dylan doing the song without
> making a mess of it

I'm glad Bob tricked you

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: December 13, 2007 02:15

.....yeah, the sage-like Norweigan Erik first turned me on to this Dylan tune....Red Bluff 2002 is awesome. I didn't realize Bob was playing guitar on that song Gazza. I guess I always assumed he was smoking a cigarette and drinking some water during the song.

Date: December 13, 2007 02:18

Luke, I have a couple of videos of Bob doing Brown Sugar, and even though he's strapped to a guitar, it looks like he's having a cigarette and drinking some water while performing...very cool sugar deliverance

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: December 13, 2007 02:22

.....that's funny Erik. Bob didn't lose any sleep memorizing those lyrics did he?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 13, 2007 02:22

I thought it was the Stones until the voice came in.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 13, 2007 02:25

It was a backstage secret deal

"I'll play one of your greatest hits if you play one of mine."

Date: December 13, 2007 02:26

No Luke, he heard it on the radio in the late 80s so he didn't worry...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1972
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home