Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Personal note: Nothing Like Live Music
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: December 2, 2007 00:37

It's been ten years since I last played in a band, and I now dream about it. I suppose it's telling me something. I vainly try to recapture some of the way it made me feel through live recordings & bootlegs. No way. Can't be done. To perform live is in my blood.

I haven't touched my bass in months. Perhaps it's a mental block. Other players here may recognize this syndrome. It has nothing to do with ability -- I'm a good musician. I know I can do the job.

I'm stuck between artistic wants/needs and real-life restrictions. Other musicians here may know exactly what I'm talking about.

Re: OT Personal note: Nothing Like Live Music
Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: December 2, 2007 00:49

what i want to say about this is :

i play in a band maybe 3 or 4 times a year and enjoy it immensely.
Apart form that i work in a big accouniting firm. I think i am more of an musician (i am very good! ) than accountant,
I need to remind myself of that i live for music, not numbers.
I need to remind me of, that i must watch great clipses of stone on dvd or in the computer regularily
I need to wear rock an roll outfit from time to time,

just to make it through life.

If i forget that and end up just as an accountant, i tend to get crasy and depressed,

i understand fully bassplayer 617

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 2, 2007 00:52

I know, bassplayer! Everything's a bad trip after I left the stage!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: December 2, 2007 01:05

We had a reunion back in 00. Felt good. Soon time again, I reckon.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 2, 2007 01:13

6853 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what i want to say about this is :
>
> i play in a band maybe 3 or 4 times a year and
> enjoy it immensely. ....ME TOO...but a little More Often
> Apart form that i work in a big accouniting firm......ME TOO
> I think i am more of an musician (i am very good!
> ) than accountant, ME TOO
> I need to remind myself of that i live for music,
> not numbers. ME TOO
> I need to remind me of, that i must watch great
> clipses of stone on dvd or in the computer
> regularily ME TOO
> I need to wear rock an roll outfit from time to
> time, MOST THE TIME, when not at work
>
> just to make it through life.
>
> If i forget that and end up just as an
> accountant, i tend to get crasy and depressed, I NEVER ALLOW MYSELF TO FORGET
>
> i understand fully bassplayer 617

Date: December 2, 2007 11:56

great ansver BD !

esp the" never allow myself to forget" part
will try to learn from that ..
best

Date: December 5, 2007 09:55

is there a dress code in your "big acccounting firm" BluzDude ?
have you formed a band there ?

Date: December 5, 2007 10:13

Dress codes?...Only when we have appointments
There are a number of musicians, in fact the band I am in now, I met them through a co worker who is a Gift and Estate Attorney. By the way, our big accounting firm is considered to be the largest in the world with over 100,000 employees...ok, I confess, we are a Government agency and the largest employer of accountants in the world.

Date: December 5, 2007 10:39

might be one of your 100.000. (0,001% !)
yea we might be in the same club at least my accounting firm is said to be the biggest in the world, third biggest in my country ...

but a government agency ?

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: December 5, 2007 18:14

I hear you Bassplayer, I'm in the same boat. I haven't played in a band for years and life isn't the same without it. My plan is to woodshed through the winter till I'm better than I ever was and, in the spring, try to form the band I've always wanted, no compromises. It should be easier to find the right musicians via the Internet than it used to be even if I have to relocate. Being 60 this could be my last chance to do it. Once its in your system, it never leaves! Good luck.

Date: December 5, 2007 18:26

Keithfan 64
I am interested in hearing how you define your best band, ie no compromises.
Can u do that pls. ?

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: December 5, 2007 20:17

Well, for example, the last band I started was a mid 60s oldies band . We did some Animals, Garage band (Cal. Sun), Rascals, R+B ( Monkey Time), ect. But the singer kept wanting to do 50s R+R like Great Balls Of Fire which blew the whole concept I wanted the band to present. See what I mean?

Date: December 5, 2007 20:54

I have played with 2 other musicians for about 30 years on and off, we had a 12 year run where we got together on a regular basis (average once per week) and we just played, nothing was planned out, we just played and had the instict to follow each other. We recorded almost everything we did and did a lot of experimentation such as straight guitar on the left distorted guitar on the right, and the opposite for the bass, volume pedals were used with the distortion channels as well as with a keyboard we used, often with a holding note, drums are a Roland V-ket panning thru 6 channels. Some of our stuff was amazing, however we only catered to ourselves. The music was very personal, very politically incorrect...but what a high! I can't really discribe the feeling. A single jam could go anywhere from 3 to 45 minutes with about a 15 minute average, split between original music and covers. Our drummer moved to Las Vegas last year and I miss it. ..but I totally enjoy the blues band I'm currently in (for the past 2 years) ... just venting

Date: December 5, 2007 21:59

i play in a band that was a scool band in the seventies, we play the same setlist as then, prob 35 songs, mainly sixties music beatles stones kinks etc.
we play maybe 3 times a year, birthday parties, scool reunions etc
we never practise and joke with it by saying "it is a sign of weakness" to practise. our drummer is a priest in the north so gigs take a bit of a planning. he has to be available (no weddings or funerals!) and travel the 300 km with his drum kit in the back of his car ! then a shower at my place and ready.. there is over one mountain to drive, and that is where he says he leaves the "angel ring" behind when he changes from the priest to a rock animal!
(i play lead guitar and love plaing the stones songs like paint it black , ht woman last time etc,)

Date: December 5, 2007 23:06

6853, do you have anything on youtube or myspace?

Date: December 5, 2007 23:28

i can fix that, do you ?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 5, 2007 23:35

give us a drum beat mrs smith,lol

Date: December 6, 2007 00:11

www.blueszoneband.com
videos on front page - then go to
last page (links) to our myspace and there will be 4 songs
in their entirety. I play bass live and both guitar and bass in studio.

Thats me on guitar circa 1973 or 4
it's crap - but funny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-06 00:21 by BluzDude.

Date: December 6, 2007 19:30

nice webside and good band bluzdude

i like this idea of putting fun into the blues,
very good
i might steal it !

best

Date: December 6, 2007 19:42

That's what we try to do! smiling smiley

Posted by: La Mano Nera ()
Date: December 7, 2007 07:28

I know exactly how you feel. When I first picked up a guitar, it possesed my soul and I became a monster riff machine wanting to learn as much as I possibly could. Now, I look at it, want to play badly, but still have a hesitation to pick it up. It's hard to tell if I don't want to play because I'm depressed, or if not playing makes me depressed. This kinda paradox is normal in music, aint it? I hope I aint loosing my touch or something...

Anyway, I think you should get into a band again. There's not a lot of good ones these days, maybe that's what explains the mental drought. You should play with me and my friend- we need a good bass player. The one's our age never heard of "rythym" let a lone ever felt it before. We don't care if you're an old geezer (no offense if you are, my dad is too). Anyone posting here is okay in my book LOL.
I'm just joking, but um..if you can swing like Bill and are ever in St. Louis some time..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1610
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home