Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Williamsburg 75 yes or not?
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: November 28, 2007 12:55

Still don't find confirmation if the Stones played Williamsburg on Aug.5 1975. I just received the wonderful Genesis book T.O.T.A. and no mention of this date.
Anybody was there and can confirm?

Re: Williamsburg 75 yes or not?
Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: November 28, 2007 18:35

They played Hampton, Va on this tour near the end. But I don't think they played Williamsburg.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 28, 2007 18:42

bill wyman doesnt list it as being played in his "Rolling With The Stones" book.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: November 28, 2007 19:15

Nope. Hampton.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 28, 2007 19:20

according to nzentgraf.de there was no show anywhere on august 5th.
(Hampton was august 6th.) straycat58, where did the Williamsburg idea come from?
waiting for everyone in the area at the time to say there wasn't a show there in 75 could take a while :E

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 28, 2007 21:13

It has been listed on some books/sites so I guess it was in the original itinerary before being either cancelled or changed (probably in favour of Hampton)

Date: November 28, 2007 21:45

I found that Williamsburg,Va. was at least scheduled for Aug. 5,1975 according to one source I found. The Rolling Stones Album(thirty years of music and memorabilia) by Geoffrey Giuloano pub. 1993 Viking Studio Books pp.160. However there is no evidence of the show being played, is there? But then, I know from attending there was a dallas 75 show played but no recording that I've found(and believe me i've looked) made.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 28, 2007 21:52

scottkeef Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bill wyman doesnt list it as being played in his
> "Rolling With The Stones" book.

There are a LOT of mistakes in the setlist, - tourdate and location department of that book.....

Date: November 28, 2007 21:55

smile: and in the stated & implied photo dates too.
so my dear 75-Expert Erik: what's your verdict on the Williamsburg show?

Date: November 28, 2007 22:00

Oh but I'm no expert, with Sssoul - nevertheless I don't think there were a show in Williamsburg. I've seen it mentioned a few places, like StrayCat wrote - but nothing to back it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-28 22:06 by Erik_Snow.

Date: November 28, 2007 22:03

I found this info in Gazza setlists (but indicated as unconfirmed), then in Aeppli book and in www.beatzenith.com

Many other fonts don't report it: It's only rock'n'roll karnbach, Zentgraf Works and, above all, the TOTA Genesis book.

The only way was hoping to find somebody who attended the show and can confirm it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-28 22:03 by straycat58.

Date: November 28, 2007 22:03

yes, pray bestow upon us your answer.

Date: November 28, 2007 22:13

>> Oh but I'm no expert, with Sssoul - nevertheless I don't think there were a show in Williamsburg. <<

thanks Too-Modest Erik! if you doubt it took place, i shall proceed to doubt it too.
i enjoy believing in as many 75/76 shows as possible, but if it's not bloody likely, then ... it just isn't.
maybe it was in the works and got scrapped, as Gazza suggests.

Date: November 28, 2007 22:17

BTW, since Gazza replied to my post, check in your list Milan 1970 October 1st: the shows were two, not one, same setlist. There was an afternoon show and then an evening show. I informed Zentgraf who already updated his arkiv and he told me that he received nformation that maybe also Lyon were two shows in the same day but still is not confirmed. The video of Milan that recently circulated is the afternoon show because in the evening Jagger was dressed in black.

Date: November 28, 2007 22:21

Thanks for leaning on me, with Sssoul

Date: November 28, 2007 22:23

Yeah, StrayCat, it's interesting with those claimed 2 shows-stands in Milan.

The July 22nd 1975 concert in Chicago is not mentioned anywhere either, allthough it took place

Date: November 28, 2007 22:38

Erik, you mean there were three consecutive shows in Chicago? 22, 23 and 24?
Sure? This is absolutely new for me; I'm going to check my sources and will revert.

For Milan it's 100% confirmed ; I live in Milan, I was too young but then I met people who attended the two shows.

For Williamsburg, I just posted the question on Rocks Off, there are more US fans over there and see what's the feedback.

Date: November 28, 2007 22:42

You're absolutely right!
The 22 date is included in the TOTA book. I didn't realize it before.

Date: November 28, 2007 22:45

straycat58 Wrote:
> You're absolutely right!
> The 22 date is included in the TOTA book. I didn't
> realize it before.

And...as always, there are no recordings. If not for....I suspect the DVD footage of 5 tracks - known as 07/23 - is really 07/22, as it makes more sense for the TV reporters to capture the first night. Who knows...?

Date: November 28, 2007 22:46

are there photos from all three Chicago shows in the TOTA book?

Date: November 28, 2007 22:50

with sssoul Wrote:
> are there photos from all three Chicago shows in
> the TOTA book?

It's a terrific book, but unfortunately - they have mixed up which pictures comes from which show. And not all shows are represented.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-28 22:51 by Erik_Snow.

Date: November 28, 2007 22:59

Although I'm a Brian fanatic and therefore I prefer books related to the first period, I must admit that this book is the best I've seen for the way it's organized, the size, the quality of the pix, etc. etc.
Unfortunately the pix don't report exhaustive information; hence it's hard to know at which of the 3 Chicago shows they refer.
It remains a "must have book" although the price is exorbitant.

Date: November 28, 2007 23:00

ah ... too bad more photographers/publishers don't hire resonant researchers -
sometimes it seems like certain circles have no clue what close attention certain other circles are paying

i'm glad it's a beautiful book anyway - enjoy the hell out of it! that's what it's for

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 28, 2007 23:31

straycat58 Wrote:
> BTW, since Gazza replied to my post, check in your
> list Milan 1970 October 1st: the shows were two,
> not one, same setlist. There was an afternoon show
> and then an evening show. I informed Zentgraf who
> already updated his arkiv and he told me that he
> received nformation that maybe also Lyon were two
> shows in the same day but still is not confirmed.
> The video of Milan that recently circulated is the
> afternoon show because in the evening Jagger was
> dressed in black.

many thanks. Every addition helps!

Another common mistake many make was the date for the 1975 Fort Collins show. It was always listed as 19th July - and then someone sent me a ticket stub for it which was dated 20th July.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-28 23:33 by Gazza.

Date: November 29, 2007 00:21

Gary, the situation here is even more confused. Denver (or Fort Collins) is reported in the TOTA as July 21st. This is the Elton John as a guest show. On the bootleg CD was reported 19 (same as Zentgraf), then I remeber you informed that it was 20 because of the ticket, and the TOTA indicates 21!
There's any US expert here? Maybe Rutheford aka Stone-Relics ?
Vanni

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-29 00:26 by straycat58.

Date: November 29, 2007 00:33

This is Elton website: it states July 20.

[www.vex.net]

Posted by: Uncle Thud ()
Date: November 29, 2007 06:26

About Williamsburg...about 1979 / 1980 Annie Liebowitz published a book of photographs she took of the Stones during their 1975 tour. I think the text was by Terry Southern, and the book was called "The Rolling Stones on Tour" or something like that. Large in format, chronological in content, it follows them from Montauk to the last concert.
Anyway, if I remember correctly, near the end is a spread of photos that were taken in a hotel in Williamsburg, and I think there is a small blurb of text explaining why they were there. Even though I haven't looked at the book in about 10 years, I remember one of the photos from this particular spread was of one of the Stones sort of kneeling-face-down-in-a-fetal-position on a bed surrounded by empty pill vials. (Or maybe it was someone from their entourage...)
I've always remembered that picture and the fact that it was supposedly taken in Williamsburg, as when I was young my family spent a few vacations there.
Also, in the same book I'm pretty sure there is a photograph of a map of the U.S. on which someone marked the route of the tour, or at least highlighted the cities in which they played.
The book is stashed away in my mother's attic and, as the holidays are coming up, I'll have a chance to look at it again. If you want I can confirm, as I really haven't seen it for a number of years, but some things stuck in my mind.
A bunch of nice pictures, though. Nice book.

Date: November 29, 2007 07:10

well ... yeah, i remember the photo you describe, but i think that's another book
where the order of the shots isn't meant to be *very* strictly chronological.
i gave my copy to someone as a gift so i can't check what it says about Williamsburg.
maybe Stu liked the Williamsburg golf course, while Hampton was deemed a better concert location?
matching the city names with the special effects and all that ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-29 22:13 by with sssoul.

Date: November 29, 2007 10:21

The book of Leibowitz-Southern states that the band stayed in an Hotel in Williamsburg and the planned south american dates were cancelled. But doesn't mention shows in williamsburg.
(And Fort Collins is dated 19th).

Date: November 30, 2007 16:20

At the time the 2005 show in Virginia was announced,the newspaper in Norfolk (VA.) ran a story with personal accounts of long time fans and one guy said that his first Stones concert was in Williamsburg 1975.I'm not saying that he was wrong or right - I just figured that I would throw that out there.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2390
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home