Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The song remains the same new 2 CD
Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: November 26, 2007 22:56

Hello,

Just buy this new edition and my first opinion is: what do they do to the original version ? seems that besides to adding new songs they modified the olders songs.

Does anybody feels the same ? songs like No Quarter and The Song Remains the Same are not now the ones that we use to have in the original film sountrack.

Can somebody tell if I am right and what happened ?

Thanks
Fernando

Re: OT: The song remains the same new 2 CD
Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: November 27, 2007 01:04

I believe they used the film versions of these songs as opposed to the original sound track versions.

No Quarter is two minutes shorter on the new CD.

Not an expert on this, but perhaps they used edited versions so they could fit everything on two discs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-27 01:06 by jabhead.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: November 27, 2007 02:35

I purchased the newer songs off iTunes + The Song Remains the Same ( the song ).

I'm having a lot of fun listening to them. TSRTS is Zeps best song --- IMO.

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: November 27, 2007 02:40

jabhead Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------
>
> No Quarter is two minutes shorter on the new CD.
>
> Not an expert on this, but perhaps they used
> edited versions so they could fit everything on
> two discs

Thats what i was thinking when i listened to it.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 27, 2007 02:46

Now that I have The Song Remains the Same, How the West Was Won & BBC Live recordings, my next little project will be to make the almost perfect 3 1/2 hour - Zeppelin concert on 3 disks.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: November 27, 2007 06:44

Dazed & Confused is different, as there is a noticeable edit right before the "San Francisco" bit which removes some of a killer riff from Jimmy that he progresses into a few bars of Foxy Lady....

Date: November 27, 2007 20:20

OK, let's figure this out. Listening to this, it sounds like Jimmy and his engineers spent about the last 30 years re-mastering this performance over and over again. I have several boots of this tour along with the original SRTS record, and on songs such as OTHAFA and MMH, it's amasing how the Plant screach is amost completely gone, (pobably why those songs weren't used in the first place). Having experience mastering records, I must say I got a little chuckle while listening to it.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 27, 2007 21:14

The worst/ most noticeable edit on the SRTS remaster is on Whole Lotta Love... Just give the song a careful listen, and you will notice a couple of obviously bad ones, which I cannot believe were left on there. I am saddened that there are edits at all, as I was led to believe that I was getting a "whole show" from MSG '73. BUT, I still love listening to it, and I think it sounds great. I may pick up a copy of the original, just so I can have some of the longer versions of those songs.

Date: November 27, 2007 21:32

Tate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The worst/ most noticeable edit on the SRTS
> remaster is on Whole Lotta Love... Just give the
> song a careful listen, and you will notice a
> couple of obviously bad ones, which I cannot
> believe were left on there. I am saddened that
> there are edits at all, as I was led to believe
> that I was getting a "whole show" from MSG '73.
> BUT, I still love listening to it, and I think it
> sounds great. I may pick up a copy of the
> original, just so I can have some of the longer
> versions of those songs.

The whole show was over 2 hours & 45 minutes, yes, there were many edits including a whole verse was taken out of Black Dog and the segway between MMH and SIBLY was cut, (the others have been mentioned). I am only about half way into it at this point, when I finish listening to it all, I may comment further.

Just listened to "the Ocean"; neat little trick with Plant harmonizing with himself on a live performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-27 22:51 by BluzDude.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 6, 2007 03:43

BluzDude Wrote:

> Just listened to "the Ocean"; neat little trick
> with Plant harmonizing with himself on a live
> performance.

On the Led Zep DVD it shows Bonham singing that little "la-la" bit when the music stops with Plant.

Date: December 6, 2007 05:49

loog droog Wrote:
> BluzDude Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Just listened to "the Ocean"; neat little trick
> > with Plant harmonizing with himself on a live
> > performance.
>
> On the Led Zep DVD it shows Bonham singing that
> little "la-la" bit when the music stops with

Bonzo also sings the intro

"She got 4 already but the man went steady and then they went, 1, 2, 3, 4, "
(something like that)

Some shows instead of "then they went" he sang "and dummy went"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-06 05:50 by BluzDude.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 6, 2007 17:04

An excerpt from Tom Watson's interview with Kevin Shirley, the sound engineer who remastered Led Zeppelin's new releases in Modern Guitar Magazine.

Tom: What was the biggest challenge in this project?

Kevin: Making the music fit the picture. The original video was edited all over the place, from different shows, so we wanted the sound to help the video feel real. At the end of the day, it's not a documentary, it's a movie, so there was some creative license. I'm very happy with the final result.

Tom: What about the biggest audio challenge?

Kevin: It wasn't an easy concert. The Madison Square Garden concerts, for whatever reason, were a challenge, the most challenging on the Led Zeppelin DVD, which I mixed. Knebworth was easier, and, going back, the Royal Albert Hall was way easier. Whether it was the truck on those nights [at MSG], or the acoustics of the hall, or whatever, these weren't the easiest concerts in the world to mix. We had to dig deep to get a lot of the definition, a lot of the depth into the instruments. If you listen to the original soundtrack CD, it's quite brittle, not full highs and lows, a very razor-ish sound. It was difficult audio to work with.

Tom: Did you add any effects to Jimmy's guitar?

Kevin: I did add a little bit of effects to Jimmy's guitar, which the purists will probably hate, in some sections on the clean [tone] parts where the guitar was a little out of tune. I just tried to smooth it out a bit, but you can't change the recorded intonation of the guitar, and that's one of the joys of the guitar too, so I just tried to make it a little sweeter.

Tom: How did you make panning placement decisions? Did you use the original as the guideline or primarily rely your own ears and taste?

Kevin: Absolutely, you use your own ears, and there's a presentation on the screen that says, this is what's happening, so while I don't follow Jimmy cavorting around, you follow the show. Actually, you'll hear a slight leaning of the bass to the left - maybe 11:30 [as opposed to dead center 12:00] to the left, just slightly off center because that's kind of how it looks on stage, John Paul Jones is on that side of the screen. So, the presentation is there, you just enhance it, really.

I hope people dig it, I really do. I'm not going to do a lot of interviews about it because these Internet days are very tough with some people analyzing things to death and obsessing over minute detail. It's really just for people to go and enjoy. The detailed analysis isn't really welcome - who cares if somebody says, "You needed more cymbal in 'Black Dog,' or something like that. Enjoy the experience. Don't over analyze it. It's the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band playing a very good set of shows.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: December 20, 2007 05:10

love this ...

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 20, 2007 06:57

zeppelin the world's greatest rock n' roll band? i don't think so . they were a good band but there are quite a few better . the stones own the title as the greatest .

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 25, 2007 22:36

Just got this for Xmas. It's probably been 25 years since I've listened to a copy of the 1976 LP, and I've NEVER had it on CD, so I don't notice and am not bothered by any of the differences mentioned above. It WOULD be interesting to get a new copy of the original, just for comparison purposes, but I've got no complaints with what I'm hearing here. Remember how much air play this got back in '76? For a while, THIS version of Stairway was actually on the radio as much, or even more, than the '71 studio version, and though I haven't heard it in 25 years, it may well be that THIS is the version that's the one I have more permanently imbedded in my brain cells. To me, the song just sounds incomplete unless someone says "Does anyone remember laughter?"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1586
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home