Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Berry + Wyman together!
Posted by: Nellcote ()
Date: November 20, 2007 10:38

Hi,

In March 2008 will Chuck Berry and Bill wyman's Rhythm Kings play on the same bill in the Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam! Isn't this great!

I hope Bill play a couple of songs together with Berry!

What do you think of this?

Re: Berry + Wyman together!
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 20, 2007 10:40

I know since yesterday.......its hot rocking news!!!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 20, 2007 10:57

Saw Chuck last night in Luxembourg. Aside from the first 4 or five songs he did pretty good, unlike the bad press he's recieved lately. His daughter did a great job on the Harmonica. There was a real nice part with them jamming together during Let It Rock. The only dissapointment was that he didn't give autographs. We tried before and after the show. Maybe I'll try again in Amsterdam. That sounds like an interesting gig.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 20, 2007 12:00

152 year old together. Will be 154 next year. :O(

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: November 20, 2007 13:12

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 152 year old together. Will be 154 next year.
> :O(

Funny Bro that was my very first thought too (after a quick calculation). Then I thought: Oh wait, we're Stones fans. Get away from Ageism!!!

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: November 20, 2007 15:02

Really great to hear this news!!!

Would be very great if Chuck will use Bill's band with the great horn-section to do a all-star finale jam on stage!!!!!!! His own european tourband is also great by the way.

Ticket for the combi-show of Berry and Wyman will be available this saturday from:
www.ticketservice.nl

I'll be there!

Date: November 20, 2007 16:29

ROLLINGSTONE Wrote:
> Baboon Bro Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 152 year old together. Will be 154 next year.
> > :O(
>
>
> Funny Bro that was my very first thought too
> (after a quick calculation). Then I thought: Oh
> wait, we're Stones fans. Get away from Ageism!!!

Yeah, hell, yeah.. But since lately I'm beginnin' to
feel sceptical towards Chuckster live.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: November 20, 2007 16:38

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> ROLLINGSTONE Wrote:
> -----
> > Baboon Bro Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > 152 year old together. Will be 154 next year.
>
> > > :O(
> >
> >
> > Funny Bro that was my very first thought too
> > (after a quick calculation). Then I thought: Oh
> > wait, we're Stones fans. Get away from
> Ageism!!!
>
> Yeah, hell, yeah.. But since lately I'm beginnin'
> to
> feel sceptical towards Chuckster live.

I understand where your coming from. Day must be getting close where somebody drops dead on stage...or wets themselves!

Date: November 20, 2007 17:03

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> ROLLINGSTONE Wrote:
> -----
> > Baboon Bro Wrote:

> Yeah, hell, yeah.. But since lately I'm beginnin'
> to
> feel sceptical towards Chuckster live.

-------

Yeah, but Chuck Berry delivered a sensational 70 minute show in Holland this weekend, he was in top-form and played heavy grooves like Keith Richards would be jealous about! I think that's why he's booked again in Holland, he feels great over there!
CHUCK ROCKED THE HOUSE LIKE NO ONE ELSE! smiling smiley!!

and...... The combi with Wyman makes it even more interesting, what if there is a final big-band jam on stage!! Won't miss that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-20 17:04 by rollingandrocking.

Date: November 20, 2007 17:11

Sumfin' with tha'ool' sweet tobacco deep down in the Netherlands ;O) ?

Date: November 22, 2007 16:38

more and more is being spoken about this show in the media, it will be a ledendary night, i'm quite sure.... exciting...! smiling smiley!!!!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 22, 2007 16:43

still don't know, I've seen Chuck last week and I don't need to see Bill Wyman again...but maybe..
If Mick Taylor would play with Chuck. That would be easy...I'd go

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 22, 2007 17:04

big f-ing deal,two old men that are only a half a century past prime , save your money for the shine a light 2008 stones tour coming to an arena near you

Posted by: kees ()
Date: November 22, 2007 17:23

and here Brown Sugar etc again for the 1000x time?
Yawn.

Date: November 22, 2007 17:54

yeah ok kees you go see no talent wyman the geezer and i will take my chances with the stones, just a hunch but i think the stones show will be more entertaining, but hey, thats me

Date: November 22, 2007 19:11

Ow No, Bill Wyman's band is STUFFED with talented stars man! (albert lee, beverley skeete, georgie fame etc) This is a band to see...!

What if they join forces with Chuck, for me that would be better than a Stones show... I've seen that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-22 19:12 by rollingandrocking.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 22, 2007 19:19

chuck won´t play with bill together because he won´t get paid to do so

Date: November 22, 2007 19:19

do you think bill and chuck could fill a stadium, uh no, or an arena uh no, or maybe a club, thats it

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: November 22, 2007 20:04

I'm especially looking forward to the moment where Chuck will introduce Bill as "Keith Richard of the Rolling Stones".

Posted by: jeroen starink ()
Date: November 22, 2007 23:34

Hi, i saw Chuck play i Tilburg, the Netherlands Nov 19. It was great. i am going to see him play with Bill. Its part of your culture . enjoy !!

Posted by: mrrockandroll ()
Date: November 23, 2007 00:53

Chuck Berry himself was great yes, but only considering his age......... But his band was VERY VERY VERY VERY BAD. They backed every song up with the same boring standard arrangement. His son had a very thin/bad guitar sound and was looking very grumpy the whole gig through. But the most annoying thing was, he pulled out his mobile phone ON STAGE between the songs and sent an SMS or something ------> WHO THE H*LL DOES THIS ON STAGE MAN???????? His band could have put on better clothes; they looked like the average joe. Even worse, his daughter came on stage wearing her hip-bag (no, not as a fashion accesoire, because she had put on some cheap Zeeman clothes). She acted very arrogant and didn't look at the audience ONCE. What a disappointment his backing band was.

I really can't understand that Chuck, as a father of his children, let his children perform like this. They made complete fools of themselves man. Chuck dresses well for a gig, but his children looked awful.

Posted by: mrrockandroll ()
Date: November 23, 2007 00:55

Remember that I was in front row!!! Right in front of Chuck. It will be a harsh contrast at the HMH: first the Rythm Kings (good tight professional band, full tight sound), and then Chuck Berry..... unprofessional backing band, sloppy boring sounding.

Nevertheless, I'll be there anyway, just for the historic event!!!!!

Date: November 23, 2007 01:12

mrrockandroll Wrote:
> Chuck Berry himself was great yes, but only
> considering his age......... But his band was VERY
> VERY VERY VERY BAD. They backed every song up with
> the same boring standard arrangement. His son had
> a very thin/bad guitar sound and was looking very
> grumpy the whole gig through. But the most
> annoying thing was, he pulled out his mobile phone
> ON STAGE between the songs and sent an SMS or
> something ------> WHO THE H*LL DOES THIS ON STAGE
> MAN???????? His band could have put on better
> clothes; they looked like the average joe. Even
> worse, his daughter came on stage wearing her
> hip-bag (no, not as a fashion accesoire, because
> she had put on some cheap Zeeman clothes). She
> acted very arrogant and didn't look at the
> audience ONCE. What a disappointment his backing
> band was.
>
> I really can't understand that Chuck, as a father
> of his children, let his children perform like
> this. They made complete fools of themselves man.
> Chuck dresses well for a gig, but his children
> looked awful.

His backing band was not bad man, they did very well, especially the piano player! The drummer also, he knew exactly when to take a break! The bass player was Jim Marsala, plays with Chuck Berry for over 35 years! It's only Rock ' Roll. Chuck was good, yes indeed, very good. His children also, Chuck Jr. plays very well guitar, maybe you don't like the thin sound, but that's his own choice, to contrast with his dad I suppose. His daughter is a top-singer and plays hanmonica very very well!
the whole european Chuck Berry show is VERY VERY GOOD... that's my personal opinion.

Why should someone look fency on stage? I experience a show with my ears not with my eyes, but that's the problem, most people like to see a spectacular show and don't listen that well.... If you're a listening gig-visitor then you will be satisfied with Chuck Berry's children, they're good musicians.

One thing I agree with you:
The Wyman + Berry show will be historical and not to miss..! Have fun there, I'm also going there! smiling smiley!!

Date: November 23, 2007 04:15

historic because they are still alive, but for no other reason

Date: November 23, 2007 11:50

I really liked Chuck's daughter on harmonica

Posted by: igotplayedonce ()
Date: December 1, 2007 02:05

MrRockNRoll

I was backstage and saw everything you did. I have a slightly different perspective on what happened at that show.

1. His daughter. That hip pack you refer to had her HARMONICA's in it! From my vantage point, I could see her putting them in the pouch. I don't know how much her clothes cost but they looked great on her. As far as not looking at the audience. I observed her looking directly at people and helping the fans on stage during Reelin and Rockin. She was dancing with the people on stage barefoot! It looked like she was having the time of her life.

2. His son (Charles Berry Jr.). His sound is thin. That's what happens when a Twin Reverb with the Tremolo and Reverb are at zero with a Stratocaster plugged in. He also does not use ANY effects. He told me that's the sound his father wants. I saw him using his dad's 355 during the sound check and he sounded completely different (He rocked). I saw the incident with the phone too. He was turning the phone's ringer to vibrate. I asked him about that one myself. As far as the look on his face, it reminded me of Bill Wyman. Stone faced and determined.

3. Their clothes. The only person anyone came to see was Chuck Berry. The rest of them could have been standing there with overall's or jumpsuits on. I would have never noticed any of them anyway.

4. Their playing. This is exactly what Chuck wants. I go back to the sound check. BOTH the Bass player (Jimmy Marsala) and Chuck's son said the only reason they were on stage was to keep a beat, just like Chuck wanted. The Bass line is VERY simple and the Rythum guitar is the standard three chord line in most of all Chucks music.

5. The Piano Player Daniel Trustrup Rossing. He was excellent! Chuck wants someone on stage that can play Johnny Johnson, Ottis Spann and Layfayette Leak style piano. He leans on the piano players heavily. That's what makes the sound. The interaction between the guitar and piano.

6. The drummer. He too is excellent! John Michelle Biger is a session player and does gigs all the time. He's played with Chuck on many occasions.

Oh well, everyone has an opinion just like everyone has a rearend. From what you describe, you saw and old man with a bunch of losers, I saw a living ledgend with a really tight band doing exactly what they were supposed to.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-01 02:11 by igotplayedonce.

Posted by: Rockergirl ()
Date: December 1, 2007 17:53

Did you see the same band I did mr rock and roll? I saw them in Burgos Spain and they were really good. The entire band was really together. Chuck was fantastic. It was really different too. I saw him in January in Bilbao at the arena. This time they played in a Circus tent. It was totally sold out. They said there were more than 3,200 people inside and as many standing outside.

I won't be able to go to Amsterdam to see Bill Wyman and Chucks show. Hopefully, someone will record it and upload on youtube.

Posted by: johan ()
Date: December 17, 2007 08:59

It has just been announced that Mick Taylor will also perform on stage this evening!

[www.nu.nl]

Date: December 17, 2007 10:37

johan Wrote:
> It has just been announced that Mick Taylor will
> also perform on stage this evening!
>
> [www.nu.nl]
> anten_met_Chuck_Berry_naar_HMH.html

now it's starting to get interesting

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home