Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gather No Moss
Posted by: geoffc ()
Date: November 19, 2007 10:53

The first time I saw the Stones was 21st September 1964 in Hull, at a concert which was filmed by Pathe News and titled 'The Rolling Stones Gather No Moss'.

I believe this is the first colour film of the band, and clips of it appear in various documentaries, usually showing them playing 'Around & Around' with Mick in a white cardigan.

Does anyone know if the complete newsreel is available anywhere?

Re: Gather No Moss
Date: November 19, 2007 11:19

Hi Geoffc - you will need to go to the treasure trove of archive footage, not just Stones related, but all those old news reels - on the British Pathe site, here.... [www.britishpathe.com]

Type in Rolling Stones in the search box and you will be offered an array of clips inlcuding 'Rolling Stones Gather Moss' (what happened to the 'no'?) filmed in Hull on 1st October 1964......a few days after you were there so sadly you won't be featured!

Plenty of other 60's era Stones stuff to enjoy on the site as well!!

Date: November 19, 2007 11:47

Thanks for the link, Manofwealth, just watched it, and went back 40-odd years in time! Needless to say I didn't see my spotty teenage self, but I think the date on the Pathe web site is wrong, at least according to the Complete Works website [www.nzentgraf.de].

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: November 19, 2007 12:00

Far as I remember there was a "RS Gather Moss" and a different one titled "RS Gather No Moss"

Date: November 19, 2007 12:01

I see what you mean about the date but I suspect this may be the date the film was first broadcast (or 'newscast') which perhaps is how Pathe catalogue these film records. I notice that the Hyde Park footage is dated 10th July....some days after the actual event.

P.S. Did you check the 'Stills' geoffc, in case you were featured standing in line.....?!

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: November 19, 2007 12:15

A Hull man myself but was a bit too young to see the Stones in '64. My first gig in Hull was the Alex Harvey Band in about 1973 i think. What do you remember from the ABC show?

Andy

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 19, 2007 12:37

it was also the name of a stones bootleg (white lp) from the 70 ties (1976) i believe it was recorded in belgium but im not sure....ahhh good morning!

Date: November 19, 2007 12:38

Nashville, The main thing I recall was the noise - those small Vox amps were no match for several hundred screaming girls - and the general excitement. I had been to a few concerts before this one, but nothing on this level. Happy days!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 19, 2007 14:17

geoffc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first time I saw the Stones was 21st September
> 1964 in Hull, at a concert which was filmed by
> Pathe News and titled 'The Rolling Stones Gather
> No Moss'.
>
> I believe this is the first colour film of the
> band, and clips of it appear in various
> documentaries, usually showing them playing
> 'Around & Around' with Mick in a white cardigan.
>
> Does anyone know if the complete newsreel is
> available anywhere?

The full newsreel is about seven minutes long. You're correct that it was the first time the Stones were filmed in colour.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: November 19, 2007 15:01

The start of the newsreel has them hitching a ride on an A road somewhere and then it cuts to the queue outside the ABC. Quite often the beginning is cut and all you see is the concert footage.

Great footage and along with the live material in Charlie is My Darling it's some of may favourite film from that era. Interesting to see the audience in those films - almost exclusively kids. We sometimes forget that during that period most bands were playing to teenagers

Andy

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: November 20, 2007 00:22

Had a little bit of a problem downloading but I stuck with it and am I glad!

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure I saw this at a movie theatre way back when. I remember the Stones walking down the highway just like in this little flick so I'm pretty sure that was it.

Thanks for the memories!

Marv

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1572
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home