Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Stones to tour Asia soon!
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: October 28, 2007 10:33

Just found this, hope it's true!

'T20 interesting, but I like Tests'
28 Oct 2007, 0247 hrs IST,TNN

Sir Michael Phillip 'Mick' Jagger is indefatigable at 64. As a special guest of Maharaja Gaj Singh II, Jagger is in Jodhpur to attend the Rajasthan International Folk Festival organised by the Jaipur Virasat Foundation. The lean and fit iconic star of the Rolling Stones shares some light moments in an exclusive interview with Meenakshi Sinha

What brings you to India?

I’m on a holiday as I finished a Rolling Stones tour in August-end. We were on the road for almost two years. But more than me, it’s my daughter Jade who has been coming to India a lot as she’s doing jewellery design from here. I brought her here first when she was seven.

How’s the experience been?

Exhilarating! The (Mehrangarh) fort looks so magnificent and vibrant. Such festivals give a great platform to folk artists. Many musicians from America, England and other parts are giving a lot of their time, which is inspiring.

What do you think of the folk music of India?

I listen to a lot of it. I feel much of classical music is inspired from folk music. India is such a vast and changing country. Europeans, and especially Americans, think that countries like India never change. But that is not true.

Countries like England which saw fast development in the 19th century also witnessed the disappearance of folk music. I fear this can happen anywhere, quickly. The only exception was Ireland which kept alive a vibrant folk music culture.

What about music from Bollywood?

I hear a lot of it in England. Much of film music in India is based on folk music. Our music like Blues is also based on folk with synthesis of simple melodies.

You are the oldest band still performing. When will you do an India tour?

We have some very good offers, but we want to do it as part of a tour of Asia. When we played in Bangalore and Mumbai, we didn’t play in Delhi and Kolkata. We would love to do that now, as there’s great demand. Hopefully, we will announce a big Asia tour soon, which might include Japan.

You are a great cricket fan. What do you think of T20?

It is an interesting concept, but I also like test cricket. This is not to say that I am a purist (laughs). The T20 tournament was fun. I saw the India-Australia match. As it was the first time, it was quaint. I think England didn’t put the right team for T20 and structured it the wrong way. India picked the best one-day players.

There’s a buzz that Rolling Stones magazine is coming to India.

It will be coming soon. But it will be different from the American Rolling Stones magazine as it will concentrate on Indian music and the Indian scene. India is a vast market that people would like to take advantage of.

How would you compare the music of 1960s and 1970s with today’s?

There are many similarities. Young people today find it easy to get into bands. That was true in the 1960s also. When you are young, you would rather be in a band than be a singer writing songs. In India, I feel there are no pure rock bands, unlike in the West, where every year you have a new teenage crop coming up.

You have been an astute businessman and started your own company before anyone else. How do you combine the roles of singer and businessman?

I find business dull and boring. I am a musician first. Most artists don’t really want to be bothered with business. For a businessman, making deals is fun. For me, singing and writing songs is fun. But, I have to do some business as it’s a necessity, so I try to keep it at a minimal level.

What inspires you to write songs?

Many things. Basically human relationships, man-woman ties, human emotions, observations on social lives...

What album are you working on?

I am not working on anything in particular now. I am just going to write songs for a couple of months. I have also produced a movie called ‘The Women’. It’s all about women and has only women acting in it. It is a remake of the 1939 classic comedy by the same title. Rolling Stones also has a concert movie by Martin Scorsese, which we have finished editing.

Your observations on India?

You see many cultures living side-by-side here. An intriguing scene was in Agra where I saw a guy with his camel cart peering inside a shopping mall.

meenakshi.sinha@timesgroup.com

Re: Stones to tour Asia soon!
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 28, 2007 10:53

Well, actually it´s about "Rolling Stone Magazine" coming to
India. Soon.

Date: October 28, 2007 10:56

You are the oldest band still performing. When will you do an India tour?

We have some very good offers, but we want to do it as part of a tour of Asia. When we played in Bangalore and Mumbai, we didn’t play in Delhi and Kolkata. We would love to do that now, as there’s great demand. Hopefully, we will announce a big Asia tour soon, which might include Japan.

Read this piece, the way i read it it says that the Stones will tour Asia soon.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 28, 2007 10:59

Oh, yes, thanks. Too early for me it seems. :-)

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 28, 2007 12:11

Hopefully,,,,,,, we will announce a big Asia tour soon

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: October 28, 2007 13:07

Sounds SOLID !! Great NEWS !!!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 28, 2007 13:51

They will start touring end Jan or early Feb. India, Bangkok and Japan plus more. Great news are they look into more shows in Japan. They are back for sakura - cherry blossom - if they can get it for late March, before they head back to boost the new movie in North America. o the big question is, who knows when sakura is 2008...

Bjornulf

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 28, 2007 14:01

>> who knows when sakura is 2008 <<

[www.worldeventsguide.com]

"01 Mar 2008 - 30 Apr 2008 Date to be confirmed
The timing depends on the weather, but every year in late March through to early April
people flock to admire the springtime blossom on Tokyo's countless cherry trees,
principally in Ueno Park where they are illuminated with lanterns each evening.
Along the Sumida river, Sumida park is another place where the blossom can be observed to good advantage.
In public parks and spaces all over Tokyo people hold o hanami flower viewing parties
at the peak of the bloom until the petals fall. This fond communion with nature is a popular occasion
during which many families take the opportunity to enjoy a picnic in the beautiful surroundings"

full moon is a great time for it: march 21st or april 20th ...

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 28, 2007 15:46

I forecast they start to bloom on March 20th.
Stones would be the the best choice for the opening of a brand new venue -JCB hall with 3000 capacities- late March 2008.
But I'm afraid that it was already booked for the double bill by Boz Scaggs and ToTo.
Let's see we'll have another chance.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 28, 2007 15:54

I would assume there are several "new" cities they can play in Japan in the spring. They planned Sendai but they did not get the logistics right so Sendai was off last year. May be Sendai is on next year. May be Osaka could happen, and may be some other medium sized cities they have never played before. Also, this is talked about as a "big tour of Asia", so I would assume they are looking into Seoul, Bangkok, Beijing and may be even Kualalumpur. And probably Dubai in the Arabics, high profiled city for tourism these days. This will be the first time they actually tour Asia, not just one or two countries like Japan or Singapore or Hong Kong.

Bjornulf

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: October 28, 2007 16:28

never mind asia.

what about doing another london or glasgow gig.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: October 28, 2007 16:39

Just wondering if they already held a "band" meeting to discuss their plans for '08?

Posted by: gstone ()
Date: October 28, 2007 18:05

Dubai probably during the Dubai Horse show, since Charlie and Shirley bring their best horses there... That certainly would be a nice gesture to the Wattses.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 28, 2007 18:11

Sam Spade Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just wondering if they already held a "band"
> meeting to discuss their plans for '08?

They were planning it before the last tour ended, so theyd hardly need to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-28 18:12 by Gazza.

Posted by: iFox ()
Date: October 28, 2007 18:34

Great news. Going to Japan then...

Brno 22.07.07 & Warsaw 25.07.07

Date: October 28, 2007 19:08

i have to question the authenticity of this interview based on the questions regarding "rolling stones magazine". mick has nothing to do with rolling stone and wouldn't presume to comment on the magazine's debut in India. now if it was a jann wenner interview maybe....

Date: October 28, 2007 19:27

That was a bit of an odd question, but the rest of the content sounded authentic enough

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 28, 2007 19:38

I find it interestng that of all the major rock stars, Mick( and Sting) seems to enjoy his wealth by educating himself on foreign cultures, History, music of the world, things other than living the life of a wastoid which is the case with many pathetic stars! The man is very interesting, never stops learning and has a natural curiosity and THAT is what keeps him youthful.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: October 28, 2007 19:53

How can Ron Wood tour with The Faces and The Stones at the same time !

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 28, 2007 20:52

mickschix Wrote:
> I find it interestng that of all the major rock
> stars, Mick( and Sting) seems to enjoy his wealth
> by educating himself on foreign cultures, History,
> music of the world, things other than living the
> life of a wastoid which is the case with many
> pathetic stars! The man is very interesting, never
> stops learning and has a natural curiosity and
> THAT is what keeps him youthful.

Mind if I add something to that, mickschix?

I think in Mick's case, he took a heavy influence from his father that still shows to this day.

Mick's father was an educator, in phys-ed I believe, and it is my impression that he instilled that never stop learning philosophy in Mick. I remember watching an interview, with Dick Taylor I think, talking about the early days of making music with Mick. In it, he said that Mick's dad would never let (Mick) out of the house until he had done his daily workout routine. I'm thinking Mick's dad made sure the rest of Mick's responsibilities were taken care of as well.

Mick's leaving LSE to make music may have been against his father's wishes, but he still held on to his core values and, for the most part, never let his life get too far out of his control.

Mick passes on that philosophy by encouraging his children to pursue a career of their own, and he follows up on that by taking an active interest in what they are doing.

Date: October 28, 2007 22:01

phd Wrote:
> How can Ron Wood tour with The Faces and The
> Stones at the same time !

he cant and he wont be.

Posted by: Jon Lasa ()
Date: October 28, 2007 22:03

Hi all.

I hope the news will come true!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 28, 2007 22:38

I totally agree, EDITH GROVE! Mick was luckier than Keith in that regard; his parents were upper middle-class and valued education, showed him the need for a good education. Mick's children seem intelligent as well; Jade is a jewelry designer, runs her own little business, sharp. I stand by my #1 fantasy; sitting with Mick over dinner just TALKING for hours! I know we'd never run out of topics because Mick loves to read! I know, dream on!

Date: October 28, 2007 22:45

I wonder what sort of venues they will play at?, will they fill Stadiums or arena's, I would expect them to fill stadiums as they havn't played in that part of the world for quite a while and there would be a lot of interest.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 28, 2007 22:50

bv Wrote:
> I would assume there are several "new" cities they
> can play in Japan in the spring. They planned
> Sendai but they did not get the logistics right so
> Sendai was off last year. May be Sendai is on next
> year. May be Osaka could happen, and may be some
> other medium sized cities they have never played
> before. Also, this is talked about as a "big tour
> of Asia", so I would assume they are looking into
> Seoul, Bangkok, Beijing and may be even
> Kualalumpur. And probably Dubai in the Arabics,
> high profiled city for tourism these days. This
> will be the first time they actually tour Asia,
> not just one or two countries like Japan or
> Singapore or Hong Kong.

Excellent. Yas read that did yas ... Beasts n' BarRoomQueens ? Well don't make no plans there sugars, cos' we're orf on our travels again. An' Mr J an' Manofwealthandtaste, start packin' !!

Posted by: bombayturner ()
Date: October 28, 2007 23:30

just because of that stupit question the interview is very true

what was missing:

"charlie refused to return calls before 2010"

Asia BIG? I don't know.

"Rolling Stone Magazine" ; a normal non researched f.. up typicalliy for India.
Sweet, he let it pass.

Date: October 28, 2007 23:31

pgarof Wrote:
> I wonder what sort of venues they will play at?,
> will they fill Stadiums or arena's, I would expect
> them to fill stadiums as they havn't played in
> that part of the world for quite a while and there
> would be a lot of interest.

Stadiums. There's little money in a tour of Asia as it is anyway and they'd need to play to as many people as possible to make it worth bothering about.

They could get away with arenas in richer places like Japan, though.

Date: October 28, 2007 23:38

that means asia as a stop over. ...

and then...

us....f....a?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 28, 2007 23:42

bombayturner Wrote:
> that means asia as a stop over. ...
>
> and then...
>
> us....f....a?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves now!
Let them figure out how to do Asia first, then perhaps,
the States will fall right in afterwards.

Date: October 28, 2007 23:48

Where?

Let's remember. Last time it needed a silly walla to bumb into the f... plane of the crew to excuse a non sold out show in ?... aeh... bangkog..

there's no big deal in asia. it's about the cd's sold and ... shit...

ps. sorry; forgot, kuala lumpur is a total different story.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home