Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wanna Hold You (studio version)
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 25, 2007 20:37

this fine reckless high-spirited thing just galloped through my stereo and left me
sitting here with a huge smile, so i reckon that means it deserves a thread. :E
this one took me some time to really get into - hearing the acoustic version
from the so-called Honeymoon Tapes was a genuine eureka moment: ahh, *now* i get it - thank you Keith!

Keith's said Wanna Hold You is a deliberately Beatles-esque number - for Patti - but i don't really hear that in it.
i don't think he means the high-on-love lyric - does he mean the overall structure, or ... ?
please discuss - i'll make popcorn. :E

and i would absolutely *love* to hear something like the You Got It Made sessions for this one -
Keith & Ronnie laying down those backing vocals - ahh, listen to those cats go! LoFL - so beautiful & wild

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-25 21:12 by with sssoul.

Re: Wanna Hold You (studio version)
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 25, 2007 20:42

I did not like it at all at first,,,but in 97 i saw the light....ahh sista i love it now...like you like er now! therapy...the ending part really gets me in the groove

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-25 20:44 by rooster.

Date: October 25, 2007 20:55

smile: and how do your feathery little audio-in sockets like those backing vocals, Rooster honey?
for some reason that's what leapt all over me when i was listening to it this time -
i love it when that happens - when some "new" facet of a number suddenly starts shining -
like finding a beautiful little present someone hid for you, just waiting for you to notice -
only this one's like finding a beautiful little band of Barbarian wildcats clawing and roaring and carrying on,
laughing and leaving cigarette burns in the furniture, etc etc :E can't get enough

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: October 25, 2007 21:00

I love the acoustic Wanna Hold You too, have included it on my two-CDs greatest bootleg favourites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-25 21:02 by Ringo.

Date: October 25, 2007 21:01

Oh yeah like those backing vocals... i do like some 98 versions as well...and didnt he played it in sweet old nijmegen this year.....i thought it was fun

Date: October 25, 2007 21:08

i dug it a lot this year too. Keith was hot on the trail of something with it -
it's so intriguing when he changes things around like that.

meanwhile, in case someone hasn't heard it, here's a pretty decent-quality copy of the acoustic version:
[download.yousendit.com]
from the so-called Honeymoon Tapes, made in a hotel room in Mexico in december 1983,
just before Keith and Patti got married

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 25, 2007 21:12

Just listen how the guitar playing dictates the accents for the vocals (or is it the other way round when Keith is singing, who knows)

There is a point - the stop after the first Oh after the initial riff - just before wanna hold youuuuuuuuu - that is one of the greatest moments of keef on tape.

Loved this at first hear (what a great album that undercover is!)

C

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: October 25, 2007 21:15

i have to say along with too rude, its the only track not only my "keith stones studio" playlisy - actually i lie, it is I just skip over it! i think its a production thing rather than a song thig tho, cos i dig other versions of both those!

OOLDKR

Date: October 25, 2007 21:15

>> or is it the other way round when Keith is singing <<

i think it's one instrument called Keith Richards.
thanks for holding that up to the light, liddas - i'm putting it on again :E

Date: October 25, 2007 21:23

>> i think it's a production thing rather than a song thing tho <<

it was a production thing that was giving me some interference at first too,
but as i've noted i got over it bigtime as soon as i heard the acoustic version -
it all fell beautifully into place

Posted by: Kyle ()
Date: October 25, 2007 21:50

Thanks, sssoul

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 25, 2007 23:06

I liked the tune on the day of release.
Really struck me as a great Keith singalong.
I can't think of a song I liked better on first listen to Undercover.
I loved the Feel On Baby 12" instrumental version as a singalong too.
Now I think Wanna Hold You and It Must Be Hell are my favorites on there.
Never liked Undercover and She Was Hot got old quick for me.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: October 25, 2007 23:11

keith might have been talking about the layered vocal track/harmonies in terms of the beatles ssoul, justa guess

OLDKR

Date: October 25, 2007 23:30

>> the layered vocal track/harmonies in terms of the beatles <<

thanks for the guess, oldkr - have some popcorn! i really am very curious about what Keith meant.
the vocal layers ... smile: yeah maybe - that would be a mighty wild Barbarian species of beatle, though! :E

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: October 26, 2007 00:46

Only Keith will know what the real perspective was all about or not.
All the same when a song is hot it is hot.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: October 26, 2007 05:17

I always loved it, and I lopved the 97/98 live versions as well (with the chicago opener and the st. louis versions being my favorites). I love that open-G riff, love the chorus (it really sticks in yr head) and it's really just an unusually sweet song for Keith.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 26, 2007 06:09

thanks for uploading the acoustic version, with sssoul; I hadn't heard it, I don't think, or the rest of the Honeymoon Tapes--what a... colorful ambience!

it definitely does not sound Beatle-y in the acoustic style. but doesn't he just mean by that the allusion to "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and the song's giddy, headrush mood? sure, it doesn't have any of the crafty twists an actual Beatles tune would have...

I like the song ok, but it seems out of place to me on Undercover. I think I've said this before... it breaks the dark-and-getting-darker mood too early in the album, when it could have been more appropriate as relief later in the sequence.

also, for the song really to work the way it's produced, I think it would need to go on for much longer... like, really long, just building layers of vocals and giddiness with repetitions of the chorus.

keith's vocals sound so meek on the verses... unexpected, but charming.

Date: October 26, 2007 07:19

>> doesn't he just mean by that the allusion to "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"
and the song's giddy, headrush mood? <<

yeah maybe! [passing popcorn] i always imagine he meant something esoteric about the musical ingredients he chose,
but maybe it's the lyric/mood/theme. it is indeed a pretty "straight-up" happy-love song,
which aren't too common in the Stones' catalogue.

as for the length ... hm, let me see if i can upload this almost-7-minute early take i've got ...
all right, i managed that - here it is: [download.yousendit.com]
meanwhile i'm glad the acoustic version grooves you - if you can find the remastered Honeymoon Tapes
the atmosphere gets a little over-colourful at times, but it's a very nice listen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-26 07:43 by with sssoul.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 26, 2007 19:01

thanks again! you know I think I've heard that early version before... er, maybe it's where I got the brilliant idea to do it so long...

keith's guitar sounds great on both of these.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 26, 2007 19:17

cc wrote: "it definitely does not sound Beatle-y in the acoustic style. but doesn't he just mean by that the allusion to "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and the song's giddy, headrush mood? sure, it doesn't have any of the crafty twists an actual Beatles tune would have...

I like the song ok, but it seems out of place to me on Undercover. I think I've said this before... it breaks the dark-and-getting-darker mood too early in the album, when it could have been more appropriate as relief later in the sequence."

exactly what i was going to write but cc beat me to it. thanks.

I also remember Mick calling it "Beatle-esque" in a radio interview promoting
Undercover.

My first listen......didn't think much of it.....I wanted something more
like HAPPY or BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN. didn't think it fit. Of course, like
many of Keith's songs....they grow on me over time.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: llaushin ()
Date: October 26, 2007 21:44

can someone please upload a version from 97/98 tour but not from st.louis

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: October 26, 2007 22:04

I love the song, sssoul. I remember when it first came out (on Undercover, right?) and there's something addictive about the chorus....the melody........so when I was en route to my 2nd Stones concert, in 1997 (Charlotte), for some reason I started thinking about that song, out of the blue, and that tune kept playing over and over in my head, then when Keith played it later that night in concert it just felt really cool. And it's especially cool because I had no idea what the set lists were in those days. I wasn't hooked up to the internet....I guess it was just one of those weird coincidences that a rather obscure Keith song came out of nowhere and poped into my head the day of the show...and the son of a gun played it......up to that point I just always assumed he played "Happy" and something from the new album.

Date: October 27, 2007 10:45

Remember the band Bow wow wow....they had a hit,,,with a song called ''do you wanna hold me''

Posted by: gstone ()
Date: October 27, 2007 12:37

Great song! But it's kind of strange that even the official set lists, that they handed out to the band before each show, used the wrong song title. It said: "I Wanna Hold You". But the correct title is, as with sssoul writes here, "Wanna Hold You".
I sang the song with Theodora and Alexandra on one show, while their dad was on stage... Well, we joined in on the chorus. All smiles.

Date: October 27, 2007 12:51

early in the 07 tour the set lists had it as I Just Wanna Hold You -
smile: i felt they should list it as Wanna Hold You, Gotta Hold You, Gotta Do Something With You :E

the way Keith plays with the lyrics of this one is another charming aspect of the number.
the Paris rendition was particularly outstanding. :E

Date: October 27, 2007 12:58

it doesnt sound like it ...but i cant get ''i wanna hold your hand'' out of my system...i guess we can write lots of songs based on holding hands ect....but... the beatles one is hard to get rid of....i like ''she loves you'' much more...or ''we love you''.

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: October 27, 2007 13:38

never really took to the song when i first heard it, it sounded weak and unimaginative.

didnt really ever get mentioned for years either.

Date: October 27, 2007 19:03

could somebody kindly post the acoustic version?

Date: October 27, 2007 19:14

Another great ''hold'' song is''I really got a hold on you''by smokey...and his six pack beers

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 27, 2007 20:43

I think I pretty much liked this one from the get-go. the first version i became familar with was the album version. I always thought it was a soulful song even though it has an "80's sound". a simple melody played over and over again, but it sounds great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-27 21:01 by ryanpow.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2080
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home