Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Oasis
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 29, 2007 02:35

Okay, who likes them?

Re: OT: Oasis
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 29, 2007 02:54

Not bad at (Big) All

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: September 29, 2007 02:56

Used to like them. Their first three albums were very good imo but then the music dropped off. Maybe the rock and roll gods punished them for bagging on The Stones.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 29, 2007 02:58

bunch of @#$%&. ( 0asis that is)

what You cant say the british word that starts with a w and ends with R? I guess its pretty dirty.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-29 03:02 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 29, 2007 07:08

Their first and second albums were great, especially all the amazing b-sides.
But by the third album, they became too big for their britches and lost their way.
Very promising in the beginning, but have now faded out completely. Sad.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: September 29, 2007 10:37

Their first two albums are f*cking great - now they are just average but still with attitude ;-)

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: September 29, 2007 10:44

Great first album, everything else a disappointment. Worst gig I've ever seen? Oasis at Earl's Court 96 (?) - no presence and rubbish sound. Strolled over to check out the mixing desk and guess what... No one there!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 29, 2007 11:44

fantastic debut album....
lost their way a bit, recording wise...they drowned in a sea of coke, supermodels and mansions.

It's hard to write songs about the dole, cigaretes and alcohol and the struggles of workingclass life, when you're shacked-up with models living in mansions.

still a great live band though.
they always deliver..and with Zac Starkey on drums, an extra superb dimension has been added... i never miss them when they come my way.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 29, 2007 12:32

Adrian-L Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> fantastic debut album....
> lost their way a bit, recording wise...they
> drowned in a sea of coke, supermodels and
> mansions.
>
> It's hard to write songs about the dole, cigaretes
> and alcohol and the struggles of workingclass
> life, when you're shacked-up with models living in
> mansions.
>
> still a great live band though.
> they always deliver..and with Zac Starkey on
> drums, an extra superb dimension has been added...
> i never miss them when they come my way.

<<< i never miss them when they come my way >>>

And I've TRIED to see 'em countless times and have never managed it. NEXT time around hopefully !

Date: September 30, 2007 05:15

Hate THEM, some songs are ok on the dancefloor, but they are more of an image thing I believe.

Date: September 30, 2007 05:29

I forgot I started this thread!

Yes, I go along with the opinion that Definitely Maybe is by far, their best work. What’s The Story is great, but due to its mega-selling singles (Wonderwall, Don't Look Back In Anger etc), it bares the brunt of over familiarity. Definitely Maybe however, well, I never tire of it. Slide Away is possibly the greatest piece of music they've ever recorded. The b-sides album (The Masterplan) is 'a must' too. I don't think they 'lost it' as such, just that the follow up albums are not quite as good and it's not he mid-90's anymore. They need to be really battling with bands again and that just won't happen.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: September 30, 2007 05:34

A legend in their own minds........so many better.

Posted by: babablack ()
Date: September 30, 2007 06:44

i think people should listen to their last two records closely. they are both very good. the middle two were hopeless. the first two were great.

Date: September 30, 2007 07:54

Once they fired Bonehead and the original drummer, they became sterile.

Date: September 30, 2007 08:29

the original drummer wasnt one thats why he got fired.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: September 30, 2007 08:36

Big Al Wrote:
> Okay, who likes them?

Not me. I always preferred Blur.

Date: September 30, 2007 08:42

If the original drummer played on their first album, he is indeed a great drummer.
The drumming on that album is a key component to the original Oasis sound...RAW!
But I'm not the worlds biggest Oasis fan, so I don't even remember his name.
I bought the first album when it came out, and as someone mentioned above, Slide Away is a GREAT song.
I then bought all the 12" vinyl singles that came out with it, and there is a treasure trove of amazing songs as B-sides.
The second album was almost just as good, even though a bit more polished.
Aside from all the hits from it, there was also another treasure trove of brilliant B-sides.
As someone else mentioned above, they're available on the masterplan.
If they would have just horded these b-sides, and released them as part of album #3, they would have kept going strong.
Instead, they shot their wad too soon, and were struggling from that point on, empty handed without any decent tunes, without a drummer, and without Bonehead.

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: September 30, 2007 14:37

i liked em - 1st album was the very best - i also brought "morning glory"... its a maturer album but the first impression "definately maybe" was their big bang...

i think they go too far with their arrogance and attitude... if they had toned it down and made some friends with other countries by being slightly more polite, they would have done better on the global scene...

they are \ were a capable stadium filling band - despite contrasting opinions here..

i think in later years, they were missmananged..

Dog

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: September 30, 2007 14:56

How good is Zac Starkey, has anyone seen him?

Date: September 30, 2007 15:34

i've seen Zac. he is fantastic. better than anyone Oasis has had before.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: September 30, 2007 15:41

Zac is a fantastic drummer, but Oasis is a horrible band. I have seen them twice, probably the two most boring concerts I've ever been to. They don't care about the crowd at all. This arrogant attitude don't work, it's just plain ridiculous.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 30, 2007 16:04

Definitely Maybe?
Listen to the horrible prduction on that album!
Also too much filler (Digsy's Dinner, Bring It On Down, even Up In The Sky & Shakermaker). And the other songs sound much better live.

I really like Morning Glory & Be here Now.
The next two albums contain two or three good tracks. The last album is solid.

Overall: good band, period.

Date: September 30, 2007 16:18

Oasis sacked their first drummer (Tony Carroll) because they felt he was too limited. They had real problems getting the drumming right on several tracks on Definitely Maybe. He stuck around for Some Might Say and then left during the recording of the second album. His replacement was a guy called Alan White, who was a much better drummer. He walked out (not sacked) prior to the recording of Don't Believe The Truth.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: September 30, 2007 17:05

I thought Definitely Maybe was overrated. It had a couple of highlights (Rock N Roll Star in particular), but the lyrics were utterly cringeworthy. I much preferred What's the Story ....

I saw them a couple of times - at Earls Court in 1995, which was great, even though I wasn't much of a fan. Then I saw them at the old Wembley Stadium, which was a disaster because Liam was pissed. To make matters worse the guy in front of me thought it would be really funny to piss down his "mate's" leg.

At that point, Oasis' music (I think they were on album no 4) had lost its lumpen charm and turned boring.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 30, 2007 18:21

seen them at Earls Court, Lancashire County Cricket Club, Wembley Stadium,
Cardiff Millenium Stadium, Wembley Arena and countless other venues....but the one, that sticks long in the old memory, is Knebworth '96.

A huge, huge day ....7-8 bands on the undercard,including the Manic st.Preachers, The Bootleg Beatles, The Chemical Brothers, Ocean Colour Scene and The Prodigy.

On that sunny, warm day, 13 years ago, in a field indeepest Hertfordshire, The Prodigy were at the top of their game.... they got 150,000 people pogo-ing and dancing from the off...... Oasis, made an error...by the time they hit the stage, the crowd were exhausted, hot and most of us had been standing around in the hot sun for nigh on 12 hours.
Although Oasis played competently that day, and had the crowd eating out of their hand.... that venue was too big for them....TheProdigy stole the show...
and they did it all again the next day.
The peak of Britpop - it was never quite the same after that day...the only way was down.
..oh yeah....3 hours to navigate the way out of a darkened side-field, used as the carpark....ahhhh - happy days.....mad ferrit.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 30, 2007 19:17

HATE THEM! All pretense, all pomp, copy-cats and arrogant as the day is long! Should I tell you how I REALLY feel!?

Date: September 30, 2007 20:07

mickschix Wrote:
> HATE THEM! All pretense, all pomp, copy-cats and
> arrogant as the day is long! Should I tell you how
> I REALLY feel!?

Copying? How exactly? They've nicked the odd riff (and admitted it!). Thats all.

Some will tell you Oasis sound like this band and that band, but NO ONE sounds like Oasis.

Posted by: Peterh ()
Date: October 1, 2007 17:34

Great band this is. They can really rock live, but they can also suck big time. I've only seen one show of them live in 2006, which was freakin awesome.

First 2 albums are amazing, then a couple (3?) less good ones, but the latest "Don't believe the truth" is an amazing album.

The DVD of their latest tour should be coming out soon. I'll certainly will enjoy it.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 2, 2007 16:44

Beatles imitators (during the Revolver/Sgt. Pepper era), nothing more.

Date: October 2, 2007 20:33

Peterh Wrote:

>
> The DVD of their latest tour should be coming out
> soon. I'll certainly will enjoy it.

It's out Oct 29th in the UK.

Disc 1 is a tour documentary and disc 2 is live from the City of Manchster stadium.

Actually, both have already been shown on TV. Pretty good stuff.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1521
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home