Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...354355356357358359360361362363364...LastNext
Current Page: 359 of 373
Re: Some Kinda Stones Connections
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 22, 2023 02:24

Anton Newcombe -- Brian Jones Massacre -- UNCUT 310 ---- March 2023

ROCKMAN

Date: January 22, 2023 02:55

ROCKMAN

Date: January 22, 2023 23:52

ROCKMAN

Date: January 23, 2023 01:00

JAN 18, 2023 - 8:05 AM
Comments
Johnny Palazzotto’s 20-year quest to document the life of Slim Harpo culminates next week with the premiere of “The Original King Bee.”

A documentary about James Moore — the blues star from Baton Rouge who performed as Slim Harpo — the film screens Thursday, Jan. 26, at the Manship Theatre.

Local music business veteran Palazzotto began work on the full-length documentary in 2003, the same year he produced the first Slim Harpo Music Awards, the annual event that honors local, regional, national and international musicians.

Moore’s nationally charting songs include the country-funky “Baby Scratch My Back,” a No. 1 R&B hit and No. 16 pop hit in 1966. His aching 1961 ballad, “Rainin’ In My Heart,” reached No. 17 on the R&B chart and No. 34 on the pop chart.

The uniquely atmospheric recordings Moore made at producer J.D. Miller’s studio in Crowley blurred the lines between blues and country music, pairing his unmistakable nasal-toned singing with his piercing harmonica. More than 250 artists have recorded Moore’s songs, including his British fans the Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, the Kinks and Pink Floyd. American artists the Grateful Dead, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Hank Williams Jr., Jimmie Vaughan and Neil Young also have remade his songs.

Next week’s “The Original King Bee” screening is bittersweet for Palazzotto. Moore’s stepson, William Gambler, one of the film’s major participants, died in November. A few months before his death, Gambler, his wife, Dorothy, and their children Alonzo Gambler and Tynita Howard, watched the newly completed documentary.

“They thanked me and congratulated me, which made me feel really good,” said Palazzotto, who codirected the film with Steve Zaffuto, the Southeastern Louisiana University faculty member who also edited “The Original King Bee.”

Because no film of Moore has yet to surface and few photos of him exist, William Gambler’s insight and interviews were essential for the film, Palazzotto said.

“He was the last family member who lived with Slim Harpo on a day-to-day basis. No other living members of the family experienced that.”

Palazzotto first contemplated making a film about Moore in 2001, shortly after he met William Gambler.

“William thought it was a good idea,” he recalled. “My thoughts about it have always been that Slim didn’t get the recognition that he deserved. Of course, his career was short. He released his first record in 1957 and he passed away in 1970. So it was 13 years (of recording).”

First-time filmmaker Palazzotto didn’t anticipate how challenging the project would be. The fact that no film of Moore is known to exist could have been a deal breaker.

“It really blew my mind that the ‘American Bandstand’ footage of Slim had been destroyed,” he said.

A breakthrough came when Palazzotto learned of an audio interview with Moore, conducted in 1968 in New York City by Sue Cassidy Clark, a music journalist and photographer who specialized in soul, gospel and rock during the late ’60s and early ’70s. Moore’s conversation with Clark serves as the documentary’s de facto narration.

“We wouldn’t have been able to do the documentary without it,” Palazzotto said of the Clark interview. “In recent documentaries from Louisiana, Buddy Guy and Irma Thomas talk about their lives and careers. In Slim’s case, his interview was done 55 years ago.”

Fortunately, Palazzotto began work on “The Original King Bee” in time to interview many who knew the musician, including his wife, Lovell Gambler Moore Casey; band members Rudy Richard, James Johnson and Jesse Kinchen; and such musician contemporaries of Moore as Raful Neal, Lazy Lester, John Fred Gourrier and Lynn Ourso. Also featured are Harpo Awards honorees Ray Davies (of the Kinks), Dr. John, Jimmie Vaughan and Lou Ann Barton.

An interview with Moore’s wife, who died in 2004, is another central part of the film. Her recollections include stories of how the couple met, their life together and the origin of the song that’s become an unofficial Louisiana anthem, “Rainin’ In My Heart.”

“It’s wonderful to hear Miss Lovell talk about that and then hear Slim recognize her as his manager, his songwriting partner, his confidante and his wife,” Palazzotto said. “I’m humbled that Will and Miss Lovell trusted me to make the film.”

Palazzotto hopes “The Original King Bee” brings more recognition to Moore, who died at 45 years old, shortly before what was to be his first European tour.

“He’s not in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame,” Palazzotto said. “He was recognized by the Grammy organization for only one song (1957’s ‘I’m a King Bee’). But in the short period of time that he was in the music business, he became an accomplished artist.”

‘The Original King Bee’
7:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 26

Manship Theatre, 100 Lafayette St.

$12

manshiptheatre.org

ROCKMAN

Date: January 24, 2023 05:23

Mick and Bianca ........

Thanks to Dorn for image ....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 25, 2023 11:01

UNCUT 310 ---- March 2023

ROCKMAN

Date: January 28, 2023 02:01

UNCUT 310 ---- March 2023

ROCKMAN

Date: January 30, 2023 05:38

THE AGE ---- 30 January 2023

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 30, 2023 11:44

video: [youtu.be]

I have known this video from Ian Hunter's website.
I can't believe that has only 19000 views.

Date: January 30, 2023 22:42

.............................................. photo by ROCKeeeeeeeeeee

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 2, 2023 04:57

Makoto Ayukawa died on January 29, 2023. Miss You!

Date: February 3, 2023 23:07

UNCUT 310 ----- March 2023

ROCKMAN

Date: February 5, 2023 08:30

ROCKMAN

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: February 6, 2023 02:03

Was never sure what "Some Kind Of Stones Connection" is allowed to include, and honestly seems as if maybe it's Rockman' pvt. thread and I'm treading where I shouldn't, but I'll gamble I'm incorrect (and because I don't want to start a Performance thread just for my one comment)

So, some kind of Stone's connection -- Performance:

I haven't watched this film since I was twelve, and at that age probably only for certain scenes, but saw it for first time in many years again last night and thought, "Holy crap, Jagger is playing his character as Brian at the time."

Anyone else think that? Common knowledge? Disagree?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 6, 2023 02:11

snoopy2

Interesting. I recorded it the other night but haven’t watched yet. I’ll keep this in mind when I do - thx.

Date: February 6, 2023 03:35

ALL madness welcome snoopeeeeeeeeee

ROCKMAN

Date: February 6, 2023 05:35

ROCKMAN

Date: February 6, 2023 07:35

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 6, 2023 14:33

Rockman

Anton Newcombe -- Brian Jones Massacre -- UNCUT 310 ---- March 2023

Seems Anton is the one who is clueless. grinning smiley Brian didn't play any of the instruments he's mentioned there on the album. Also, there is no sitar, marimba, or harmonica on there. The cello, as part of the string section arranged by John Paul Jones, was obviously played by a session musician.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-06 17:23 by His Majesty.

Date: February 6, 2023 15:05

That's what an unhealthy dose of fandom might do to you...

Date: February 6, 2023 15:23

SomeTorontoGirl
snoopy2

Interesting. I recorded it the other night but haven’t watched yet. I’ll keep this in mind when I do - thx.

Finally watched the ‘film.’

I’m going to get slammed for this, but I found it to be 2 hours of unwatchable, pretentious twaddle. I vaguely remember the ‘60s. I’ll try not to let this ruin the memories. I understand the concept of pushing cultural and social boundaries, but this was horrendous. Sorry.

Have at it, True Fans! grinning smiley

(Sorry, Rockeeeee, hope this doesn’t mess up your lovely thread!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-06 15:24 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 6, 2023 16:37

SomeTorontoGirl
SomeTorontoGirl
snoopy2

Finally watched the ‘film.’

I’m going to get slammed for this, but I found it to be 2 hours of unwatchable, pretentious twaddle. I vaguely remember the ‘60s. I’ll try not to let this ruin the memories. I understand the concept of pushing cultural and social boundaries, but this was horrendous. Sorry.

Have at it, True Fans! grinning smiley

(Sorry, Rockeeeee, hope this doesn’t mess up your lovely thread!)

even the scene with memo from turner?

well you should definitely watch ned kelly nextwinking smiley

Date: February 6, 2023 16:44

ProfessorWolf
[oncept of pushing

I should have specified - Memo From Turner is brilliant.

And it totally lulled me into a false sense of security about the related film. Grumble…

Date: February 6, 2023 16:49

SomeTorontoGirl
ProfessorWolf
[oncept of pushing

I should have specified - Memo From Turner is brilliant.

And it totally lulled me into a false sense of security about the related film. Grumble…

well ya must have gotten some joy from watching budding guitarist mick playing the blues

right?winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-06 16:50 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: February 6, 2023 19:22

Thx Rocky for the bits on Jagger/Brian Turner stuff!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-06 22:43 by snoopy2.

Date: February 6, 2023 19:36

Yeah, gents, that little blues ditty was indeed nice. But I did a Cost / Benefit analysis of that brief interlude of joy vs the 2 hours of horrific foreplay it took to get there - yeah, no. Thanks for posting the YouToob link, Prof, but it’s hollow succour for me having already endured the other 97 minutes. Grumble… and so forth. grinning smiley

Date: February 7, 2023 03:41

SomeTorontoGirl
Yeah, gents, that little blues ditty was indeed nice. But I did a Cost / Benefit analysis of that brief interlude of joy vs the 2 hours of horrific foreplay it took to get there - yeah, no. Thanks for posting the YouToob link, Prof, but it’s hollow succour for me having already endured the other 97 minutes. Grumble… and so forth. grinning smiley

ok fair enough

but now you've gotta watch invocation of my demon brothergrinning smiley

Date: February 7, 2023 05:09

ROCKMAN

Date: February 7, 2023 05:58

MOJO 352 ----- MARCH 2023

ROCKMAN

Date: February 7, 2023 05:59

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...354355356357358359360361362363364...LastNext
Current Page: 359 of 373

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home