Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...343344345346347348349350351352353...LastNext
Current Page: 348 of 373
Re: Some Kinda Stones Connections
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 10, 2022 21:07

................................................................................................................. Mick Jagger -- Hartford Connecticut 9 November 1981

ROCKMAN

Date: February 10, 2022 22:52

MOJO 340 --- March 2022

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 10, 2022 23:02

Rockman

MOJO 340 --- March 2022

Rocks Off?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 11, 2022 20:37

Elmo Lewis
Rockman

MOJO 340 --- March 2022

Rocks Off?

Crimson And Clover (Tommy James and the Shondells)
Octopus's Garden (Beatles)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-11 20:38 by schillid.

Date: February 12, 2022 04:39

When I entered the University of Chicago in the fall of 1980 to pursue my master’s in English, my first class was Introduction to Literary Study, taught by Ned Rosenheim, author of the book What Happens in Literature (1961). As I sat there with my sharpened pencils, I readied my mind for details about philological arcana. For the whole of that session and the next, Professor Rosenheim discussed the wonders of Chicago, with the explicit instruction to get out of Hyde Park: Visit the Art Institute, the Lyric Opera, Wrigley Field, the Steppenwolf Theatre, Frank Lloyd Wright’s Oak Park. Don’t let your graduate years be circumscribed by the campus, as glorious as it is, he insisted. I took this to heart and did all those things, as well as seeing Walter Payton at Soldier Field (in single-digit temperatures), attending a Second City improv show, eating a cheeseburger at the Billy Goat Tavern, and drinking a martini at the Palmer House. One of my most memorable excursions was also one of the closest to the Hyde Park campus (about ten blocks away) but transported me back to the South: the Checkerboard Lounge at 423 E. 43rd Street.

It was well known to U. of C. students and we gathered a group to go. I don’t remember who played that night (my only trip there), but the atmosphere was one of homey welcome. (One piece of advice I was given: Get your beer right away because prices increased by seventy-five percent once the music started, from $1 to $1.75.) I recall that at the entrance was a card table, on which a cash box swallowed our $1 admission, an absurd amount for the quality of the music, a blues master performing almost every night: Buddy Guy, who founded the club in 1972 with L. C. Thurman; Guy’s sometime collaborator Junior Wells, harpist supreme; Muddy Waters; Lefty Dizz; James Cotton. Once we were in the door, a woman with an aluminum pan offered us some spaghetti. The narrow room was divey and intimate, a juke joint on a city thoroughfare. If it was Blue Monday, it’s likely that poet Sterling Plumpp was there, too.

Plumpp, a native of Clinton, Mississippi, was raised by his grandparents, sharecroppers whom he often worked alongside. An outstanding student, he attended college in Kansas and moved to Chicago in 1962, where some relatives lived and where he took a job at the post office while writing poetry. He went on to join the faculty at the University of Illinois at Chicago, spending thirty years there and publishing sixteen books, including Home/Bass (2013), which won an American Book Award. He has spent most of the waking hours of his adult life listening to, thinking about, and writing on the blues, which to his thinking is the crucial American art form. “Nothing that Richard Wright wrote is as authentic as the blues,” he told me recently. “Nothing.” In 2019, he was given the Fuller Award for Lifetime Achievement from the Poetry Foundation and the Chicago Literary Hall of Fame; the cover of the program for that honor shows him sitting outside the Checkerboard, such was his ubiquity there and at other music venues.

“The Checkerboard,” he said, “was a blues club but it was also a living cultural institution…the school where the masters performed….More importantly, it was almost like a training ground for young musicians. What do I mean? Junior Wells, James Cotton, Lefty Dizz would often call these young people up to let them play at the end of the night.” He pauses and laughs. “But then again, most of the time they wouldn’t call you up.”

It is clear that we’re talking mostly about the “old” Checkerboard. Even in its early days, there were a large number of white people like me and my graduate-student cohort in attendance. The Guy and Thurman partnership ended in 1985, and the latter moved the club to Hyde Park in 2005, closer to the university. (It closed for good after Thurman’s death in 2015.) Other clubs where the traditions were passed down—as Muddy Waters had done with Guy at the 708 Club, shortly after Guy moved to Chicago—had already either closed or moved; Plumpp specifically names Theresa’s and Peppers. The contemporary crop of “white-tourist clubs,” as Plumpp calls them, lack the pedagogical legacy of the old South Side venues. “I don’t know whether you can apprentice yourself by sitting in. Although the shows are good.”

My one trip to the Checkerboard in 1981 was sandwiched between two notable recorded performances there. In 1979, Guy tracked a live album, The Dollar Done Fell, released in 1980 and reissued on CD in 1988 under the title Live at the Checkerboard Lounge; later in 1981, the Rolling Stones, in town for a multi-night arena show, visited the club and jammed with Muddy Waters, Guy, and others. After years as a bootleg, the show was released as a CD and DVD in 2012, and selected performances can be found on the Stones’ YouTube channel. Legend has it that it was an impromptu appearance by the band at the club to see Waters, but there’s plenty of evidence, by reporting and by common sense observation of the videos, that it was planned. No matter, both Waters and the Stones—with Mick Jagger rocking a pastel-peach Ellesse tracksuit—revel in the performance, the affection and delight running in both directions. By then they’d had a long relationship with Waters, whom they revered, dating from the mid-1960s, when they toured the South, playing for white audiences early and at the juke joints after. As Keith Richards put it in his autobiography, Life: “You want to be a blues player, the next minute you @#$%& well are and you’re stuck right amongst them, and there’s Muddy Waters standing next to you.”

Plumpp, who was not at the Checkerboard to see the Stones, nevertheless felt his own affection for the British embrace of and respect for the blues masters as opposed to American musicians’ appropriation and lack of acknowledgment. “They know vocal music in Europe and they study it,” he said. “The Rolling Stones, they are students of the craft of it. The thing that I respect them the most for: they said there’s no way in the world I’m going to sing [on TV’s Shindig!] if you don’t put Howlin’ Wolf in front of me. I never heard Elvis Presley say that.”

I’m not sure Ned Rosenheim ever went to the Checkerboard, but his injunction to get off the Hyde Park campus sent me there (even if I was so absent from campus I once missed a reception for Seamus Heaney). My professor had a counterpart at UIC in Plumpp, who frequently encouraged his students, like future writers Jeffery Renard Allen and Tyehimba Jess, to accompany him to clubs like the Checkerboard. Allen wrote of his teacher, “Clubs are Sterling’s woodshed, immersion in the music the necessary preparation for making.” Plumpp himself has an even more expansive view of the value of his nights out at the clubs. Going to blues and jazz venues, he says, “is the only way you can get a deep understanding of what African American culture is.”

My master’s thesis was on Dr. Johnson’s “Life of Milton,” and in general I played out that year along a well-trod path of traditional academic achievement and indulged my Anglophilic desire to escape my Arkansas upbringing. But at the Checkerboard, and in my subsequent reading of fellow Arkansan Robert Palmer’s Deep Blues published the same year, I felt a nascent interest in and appreciation for artistic expression that was more vital and closer to home—I should have been studying Robert Johnson and Little Milton instead.

---->>>>> [www.oxfordamerican.org]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: February 12, 2022 19:25

Allan Toussaint "Southern Nights"
video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 13, 2022 16:55

The moment Keith Richards found out John Lennon was killed

am Kemp
@SamWKemp
WED 9TH FEB 2022 16.00 GMT

On December 8th, 1980, Keith Richards was in downtown New York, walking along Fifth Avenue. Just a few miles north, John Lennon was walking too; strolling beneath the archway of The Dakota apartment complex when five hollow-point bullets hit him in the back. The Dakota’s doorman, Jose Perdomo, in a stunning act of bravery, accosted the gunman (Mark Chapman) and shook the pistol from his hand.

While Perdomo restrained Chapman, a concierge ripped off a square of Lennon’s shirt to fashion a tourniquet, but on seeing the blood pouring from his chest, covered the musician’s wounds with a leather jacket and called the police. In the dark cloister of The Dakota, the metallic ring of those five bullets still hung in the air.

For those who were closest to him, the news of Lennon’s death was inconceivable, as Kieth Richards recalled in 2000: “I was downtown on Fifth Avenue in New York. The first bit of news I got, I thought: ‘He’ll make it. It’s just a flesh wound.’ And then, later on, the news really came. He wasn’t just a mate of mine, he was a mate of everybody’s, really. He was a funny guy. And you realise that you’re stunned. You really don’t believe it. And you think, ‘God, why can’t I do anything about it?’ I got well drunk on it. And I had another one for John. Then there was the confusion, the phone calls, trying to find out if Yoko was OK.”

Richards and Lennon crossed paths many times over the course of their respective careers. For the Stones guitarist, Lennon’s death wasn’t simply a tabloid headline, it marked the end of a friendship that had begun way back in the 1960s, at a time when both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones were just beginning to make their mark on the world of music. “There were the Beatles, and there was John,” Richards said.

Adding: “As a band, they were a great unit. But John, he was his own man. We got along very well. We didn’t see each other very often. But he would sort of turn up at your hotel. Usually, if I was in the city, I’d stay at the Plaza. If John turned up, that meant he wanted to party.”

“He didn’t come there to discuss, you know, philosophy, although it would end up like that,” the guitarist continued. “I would just get into town, and there’d be a knock at the door: ‘Hey, mon, what is going on around here?’ We would get the guitars down and sing. And, in our spare time, discuss world domination. He’s rubbed off on me as much as anybody. A bit of me rubbed off on John, too, you know. He took it with him. My father just passed away, and he winked at me just before he died. I really feel a lot better about death now. I’m getting off on that wink. I’d give the wink to John.”

[faroutmagazine.co.uk]

Date: February 18, 2022 08:53

THE AGE ---- 18 February 2022

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 18, 2022 11:07

Rockman

THE AGE ---- 18 February 2022

Worth adding, for those who like this sort of stuff, that there's a very large exhibition of genuine Elvis properties (ie his stuff) from Graceland opening in a few weeks in BENDIGO (at the Art Gallery), and (travel permitting, Priscilla has said she will attend the opening.

(Edit: Location corrected to BENDIGO - bad mistake by me.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-18 23:12 by CaptainCorella.

Date: February 18, 2022 11:27

Ron Wood ---- Mick Jagger 1978 ................................ Lynn Goldsmith

ROCKMAN

Date: February 24, 2022 03:58

After sitting in a cardboard box for nearly 60 years, a collection of previously unreleased Son House recordings will finally see the light of day with the arrival of Forever on My Mind on March 18, 2022 via Dan Auerbach’s Easy Eye Sound.

The delta blues singer and guitarist Son House died in 1988 at the age of 86. When Son House died, the Black Keys frontman, Dan Auerbach, was eight years old. Like so many of his blues-influenced rocker peers, Auerbach has idolized Son House and his music for years, and now Auerbach is working with Son House’s former manager to release a new album of previously unheard Son House recordings.

In 1964, around the time that collegiate folk audiences were discovering the music that Son House had made decades earlier, obsessive fan Dick Waterman found Son House working at a train station in Rochester, New York. Waterman became Son House’s manager, and he booked him to play at Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana. Waterman held onto the tape of Son House performing at Wabash, and now Forever on My Mind features new versions of seven songs Son House recorded during his time with Columbia — including the new LP’s first offering, a fresh rendition of “Preachin’ Blues” — but the eighth song, the title track, was never officially recorded, and only existed as a part of Son House’s live sets.

Auerbach, talking to Rolling Stone said, he grew up devouring Son House’s Columbia recordings and was stunned to hear the 1964 Wabash tape, which had long been in the possession of House’s manager, Dick Waterman. He told Rolling Stone “When I heard those Son House recordings, it was really emotional, honestly,” Auerbach says. “Because I had such a deep connection to the songs, and to hear those old songs in a brand new light, to hear him singing so intimately, in such good form, sober, and the quality of the recording was so immaculate — I was just really overjoyed.”

Forever on My Mind is just the first release Auerbach and Easy Eye are planning from the trove of tapes they acquired from Waterman, who also worked with Lightnin’ Hopkins, Skip James, Arthur Crudup, and other blues luminaries. Auerbach can’t say yet what rarities will come next, but he quips, “Go look at who Dick Waterman managed, and you can imagine.”

ROCKMAN

Date: February 24, 2022 04:40

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Double Trouble with Mick Jagger .....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 24, 2022 05:13

Cool throttled up take of the
Mississippi Sheiks old classic .......... Lurv dem guitar breaks ...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 26, 2022 00:10

Keith ..... James ......John ............... Studio 54 1980

ROCKMAN

Date: February 26, 2022 07:58

Jimmy Vaughan .... Mick Jagger ......... Stevie Ray Vaughan

ROCKMAN

Date: March 1, 2022 21:13

Vincent Namatjira ---- Studio self portrait 2018

ROCKMAN

Date: March 5, 2022 08:18

ROCKMAN

Date: March 10, 2022 21:13

THE AGE ------ 11 March 2022

ROCKMAN

Date: March 13, 2022 01:24

Herald Sun ---- 13 March 2022

ROCKMAN

Date: March 13, 2022 21:01

ROCKMAN

Date: March 13, 2022 23:36

........ 50 years !!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: March 14, 2022 05:38

Death In Paradise - "Somewhere in Time" ---- Series 10 Episode 7

ROCKMAN

Date: March 14, 2022 21:26

Steve Jordan at Love Rocks NYC 2022

ROCKMAN

Date: March 17, 2022 06:34

Street Fighting Man

The Age -- 16 March 2022

ROCKMAN

Date: March 18, 2022 05:41

THE AUSTRALIAN ---- 18 March 2022

ROCKMAN

Date: March 18, 2022 06:13

Latest set from BE! SHARP Records ....
5 discs of rare oddball stuff out of Virginny .... GREAT STUFF

The Virginia & West Virginia Box --- BE!SHARP 6280/284

ROCKMAN

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: March 18, 2022 21:38

gave up trying to post the pic.. kept getting square with a ? in the middle

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-18 21:46 by snoopy2.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 19, 2022 11:10

Mojo Magazine May 2022

HMN

Date: March 19, 2022 21:28

ROCKMAN

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: March 20, 2022 03:47

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-20 04:00 by snoopy2.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...343344345346347348349350351352353...LastNext
Current Page: 348 of 373

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home