Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...331332333334335336337338339340341...LastNext
Current Page: 336 of 373
Re: Some Kinda Stones Connections
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 13, 2021 17:18

Thanks for this thread Rockeeeee, it gives me somewhere to dump random Stones stuff. And since it’s after midnight Down Under and officially the 14th, here’s a wee Happy Birthday Rockeeeee offering for ya! (Geeeez, barely recovered from the Anniversary celebrations yesterday, this is a tough month for parties!) Happy Birthday, ya old outlaw!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 14, 2021 00:34

Thanks Annie ....
Yeah another year ticks over ... Bang Clang !!!!

Stay Safe wont ya .... XXXXX

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 14, 2021 01:16

Stones content starts around 10:00…

Date: July 14, 2021 02:11

..................................................... Fleur de Lys drummer Keith Guster

ROCKMAN

Date: July 14, 2021 02:29

SHINDIG! -- No114 ------- April 2021

ROCKMAN

Date: July 14, 2021 03:04

UNCUT 291 --- August 2021

ROCKMAN

Date: July 14, 2021 03:45

MOJO 333 --------- August 2021

ROCKMAN

Date: July 14, 2021 08:11

Reissue of Trojan early seventies release
Now 3CD set covers Trojans releases/styles
moving thru Mento ... Ska .... Rocksteady .. etc ....

Nice set ..... Nothing rare....neat book

THE TROJAN STORY - Trojan TJTCD009

ROCKMAN

Date: July 14, 2021 08:58

UNCUT 291 --- August 2021

ROCKMAN

Date: July 14, 2021 09:48

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 14, 2021 13:00

If Jagger starts to receive online abuse for having attended the game and thus caused England's defeat, will Prince William tweet in his defence?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 14, 2021 16:45

Where's Andrew ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 14, 2021 19:41

Interesting stuff Rockman, that bit with Bobby Womack is no big surprise, Sly Stone was way gone by that point. But the Trojan Story set is not a reissue of the sets of the same name in the 70s/80s; it appears to be a compilation of different material they used the same title of as those earlier sets. Typical Trojan foolery. Could be I am wrong about that, but the track listing does not look familiar and I listened to those sets quite a bit over a ten or so year period.

And I would love to see some detail photos of the inside of the Mobile, hell, I might go up to Calgary to take some pics of it if it is open to public display. Have wanted to build a scale model of that thing for thirty years now...I thought it had been dismantled and junked.

jb

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 15, 2021 10:09

video: [www.youtube.com]
Part 2 of 3.

Date: July 15, 2021 11:56

Trojan Story set is not a reissue of the sets of the same name in the 70s/80s; it appears to be a compilation of different material they used the same title of as those earlier sets.

Typical Trojan foolery. Could be I am wrong about that, but the track listing does not look familiar and I listened to those sets quite a bit over a ten or so year period.

Here ya go jb ... this might help
explain the changes to the track listing etc .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 15, 2021 14:21

From Mick Jagger 75th Birthday Special edition

Date: July 15, 2021 19:20

Rockman
Trojan Story set is not a reissue of the sets of the same name in the 70s/80s; it appears to be a compilation of different material they used the same title of as those earlier sets.

Typical Trojan foolery. Could be I am wrong about that, but the track listing does not look familiar and I listened to those sets quite a bit over a ten or so year period.

Here ya go jb ... this might help
explain the changes to the track listing etc .....

Thats my friend Rusty there, had no idea he was involved with compiling this collection, gonna give him a call later today and say whazzup. He is a fantastic blues player who has a deep abiding love for reggae as well.

I always loved the original vol 2 of this set, the first was much as described and I never thought it represented the Trojan label that well. But I preferred later reggae anyhow at that time and so vol 2 held more of what I was after.

Trojan is well known for endless recycling of the same material but they got much much better when and after the came under the Sanctuary label. Now I don't know, they are kind of casting about, but those liner notes make it a little clearer the pathway they are seeking.

If you haven't, the book The Trojan Story is a good read about their early days, actually their mid-days, when they were basically a pirate organization putting out whatever they had in the vault without regard to royalties. Under Sanctuary they cleaned up their act and seem to have gotten a lot of original master tapes as their releases started sounding a lot cleaner than their previous vinyl transfers they used for the same material in their earlier days.

thanks man, interesting read. Not going to buy the set as I have most all that material somewhere or another, but its good to see them still trying to sell original reggae music.

jb

Date: July 16, 2021 00:21

Wow jb ... with all your contacts
and knowledge of Jamaican music they
shoulda got you in to oversee the reissuing of this set .....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 16, 2021 02:00

Toru A

For me the Stones getting Wolf onto Shindig has to be a truly seminal moment in 1960s popular music. It was a way to show to the viewers in the USA where the music really came from. ie Not from London, not from Liverpool, but their own back yard!

Watch the clip here [www.youtube.com] See how excited Brian is at being able to introduce Wolf. I love it every time I see this clip.

The young man on piano at the start is actually Billy Preston.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 16, 2021 02:01

I don't know about that, but if you don't know this one on Soul Jazz, I think it just came out, its worth your while. Another deep dive into the Studio 1 archive.

I have been listening seriously to reggae music for over forty years now, and I swear, even though I know the titles of a lot of these tracks, I don't think I have ever heard these particular versions, or if I have they are on an obscure compilation somewhere that I haven't listened to in a long time. Especially goes for the Gladiators tracks here. Thats what I love about reggae music man, theres always something you have never heard.

Some of the sound is not A1 grade but put it down to tape deterioration or having to resort to vinyl transfer. I have spun this one three times now and still love every track.

Heres a shot of my messed up sound room. Mono UK Aftermath sounds pounding on this rig.

jb

Date: July 16, 2021 02:04

CaptainCorella
Toru A

For me the Stones getting Wolf onto Shindig has to be a truly seminal moment in 1960s popular music. It was a way to show to the viewers in the USA where the music really came from. ie Not from London, not from Liverpool, but their own back yard!

Watch the clip here [www.youtube.com] See how excited Brian is at being able to introduce Wolf. I love it every time I see this clip.

The young man on piano at the start is actually Billy Preston.

I thought that was incredible as well, I don't think anyone in the audience would have heard of him and I give the Stones a lot of credit for that whole thing.

jb

Date: July 16, 2021 08:46

For me the Stones getting Wolf onto Shindig has to be a truly seminal moment in 1960s popular music.

COOL on COOL .... nothing else like it ....

I think it was Peter Guralnick who called it
the greatest moment on television ever .... or something like that

ROCKMAN

Date: July 16, 2021 08:52

know this one on Soul Jazz,

Yeah jb its somewhere in transit .... gets GOOD reviews ...

ROCKMAN

Date: July 16, 2021 09:21

Rockman
For me the Stones getting Wolf onto Shindig has to be a truly seminal moment in 1960s popular music.

COOL on COOL .... nothing else like it ....

I think it was Peter Guralnick who called it
the greatest moment on television ever .... or something like that

Bit OTT IMHO.

I'm sure that there are quite a few more significant moments - eg Neil Armstrong stepping onto the Moon's surface.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 16, 2021 09:29

....eeeeeerrrr yeah well okay Capitan
did watch it on a lil b&w tv inside Eddie Dare's
friut shop when it happened but ta tell ya the truth
it didnt really rattle me that much at all ....

I'm gonna go with Guralnick ......

ROCKMAN

Date: July 16, 2021 18:39

just announced, unfortunately digital download only, hope it sees light as a vinyl release.

PIRATES CHOICE VOL. 3

New Digital Studio One Compilation Available at Bandcamp!

Taken from the archives at Studio One is the latest volume in the Pirates Choice series. Featuring 14 songs taken from the extensive catalog of Studio One releases, it contains songs from the Ska era through Rocksteady until the later Reggae period. Also included is the previously unreleased stereo version of the Viceroys’ “Trying Hard to See” taken from the original session tapes. Of note are the Epics, released on the UK Bamboo imprint, that included singer Carl Henry of “Into My Life” fame. Larry & Enid’s take on the Chi-Lites “Give More Power to the People” and Jackie Mittoo’s funk outing “Get Up & Get It” round out the package.

The digital album is available at Bandcamp for a discounted price of $10 for a limited time!

BUY HERE
Tracklisting:

1. The Viceroys - Trying Hard to See (Stereo Mix)

2. Zoot Simms - By By Baby aka Bye Bye Baby

3. Ken Boothe - Artibella

4. The Termites - Rave All Night

5. George Allen - Be Wise Brethren

6. Brentford Disco Set - Be Wise Version

7. The Gladiators - Roots Natty aka Roots Natty Roots

8. Brentford Disco Set - Culture (Roots Natty Version)

9. The Epics - Your Love

10. The Epics - Driving Me Crazy

11. Bob Andy & Tyrone Evans - I Don’t Care

12. Anthony Ellis - I'm the Ruler

13. Larry Marshall & Enid Cumberland - Power to the People aka (For God's Sake) Give More Power to the People

14. Jackie Mittoo - Get Up and Get It

Very little Stones connection I am afraid.

jb

Date: July 20, 2021 09:22

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....$$$$$$$$$$$

ROCKMAN

Date: July 20, 2021 13:13

Rockman

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....$$$$$$$$$$$

Small change.... (with a dash of insanity).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 21, 2021 00:16

It was reissued for a RSD in like 2016 or something, they bring pretty good money on ebay, I have been trying for one but haven't scored yet.

Course its nothing like an original

jb

Date: July 22, 2021 12:18

Record Collector 518 --- May 2021

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...331332333334335336337338339340341...LastNext
Current Page: 336 of 373

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home