Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...318319320321322323324325326327328...LastNext
Current Page: 323 of 373
Re: Some Kinda Stones Connections
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 4, 2021 10:46

Madison Square Garden ---- July 1972 ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 5, 2021 05:40

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 5, 2021 06:55

I didn't know the Stones backed Stevie Wonder at that show, I figured he had his own band, didn't he? Was it just a couple songs he performed with them or was it his entire set that was backed as implied by the photo?

jb

Posted by: z ()
Date: January 5, 2021 08:11

jbwelda
I didn't know the Stones backed Stevie Wonder at that show, I figured he had his own band, didn't he? Was it just a couple songs he performed with them or was it his entire set that was backed as implied by the photo?

jb

Stevie and his band occasionally joined the Stones for the encore - Uptight/Satisfaction.

Date: January 5, 2021 08:23

Oh yeah, I remember now, thanks for the nudge.

Great photo. Taylor looking pensive as usual.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-05 08:24 by jbwelda.

Date: January 5, 2021 08:38

Actually must be the 26 July
show for ya can see the cream
from Mick's birthday cake on his top etc ....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 5, 2021 09:55

No wonder the other Mick is looking pensive, he is watching out for cake being flung his way.

jb

Date: January 5, 2021 12:09

Record Collector 511 --- November 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: January 5, 2021 12:19

AND .... good chance to repost this
this great story from Deniz Tek about selling
his National Val Trol Baron to Keith during 1973 Australian tour .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 5, 2021 13:13

The 1958 Val-trol National: great amazing story well written and I love the ending.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 5, 2021 13:24

Absolutely great story, Rockman! Those kind of experiences are the diamonds in the life of a true fan! I love those stories. And ... I know how it feels cool smiley
I've talked to a few people about it, but not on a public site, where one can expect all kinds of silly/disbelief responses.
Somebody else then: the wife of a very good friend of mine (both Stones fans) did get, out of the blue (!) an email from Mick quite a while ago and he started a conversation with her, telling about his "current" life, where he was hanging out, etc. etc. He also asked her all kind of things about her own life. Sometimes he's gone for quite a while and then suddenly he mails to her again (she had assigned herself to some fanclub on Facebook. I'm not on Facebook so no details from me). Details of what he mails are too special to think it's a joker of some kind.

Again, my heart is with the guy of that quit at story!
smileys with beer

Date: January 6, 2021 00:03

The 200 Rarest Records Today!

Record Collector 510 -- October 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: January 6, 2021 10:16

Is it really true the promo LP has a different mix of Love In Vain? And jeez went from 2000 pounds to the stratosphere pretty darn quick!

jb

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 6, 2021 12:17

Rockman
from Mick's birthday cake on his top
etc ....

Sherlock "Rockman" Holmes...thumbs up

Now I can see it, too!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 6, 2021 12:43

jbwelda
Is it really true the promo LP has a different mix of Love In Vain?
jb

No.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 6, 2021 22:42

Rockman
AND .... good chance to repost this
this great story from Deniz Tek about selling
his National Val Trol Baron to Keith during 1973 Australian tour .......

It's a great story, but I wonder about one bit...

He says that Keith gave him a T-shirt from the 1966 Tour of America.

I was unaware that any t-shirts were around THAT early?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: January 6, 2021 23:31

I'm wanna know who got the hand-rolled
Jamaican joints in ta Aus for 'em ... hhhaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: January 6, 2021 23:44

The AGE -- 7 January 2021

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 7, 2021 00:59

Rockman
from Mick's birthday cake on his top etc ....

You got it right, as always, Rockman. July 26th.

The picture reminds me of the 100s of emails I had with Sharon Lawrence. She introduced Steve Wonder to Mick Jagger in 1970. What stories she had to tell, sad to see her gone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-07 00:59 by Erik_Snow.

Date: January 7, 2021 09:04

The poo flinging also accounts for that look on Jaggers face. He doesn't look particularly happy.

jb

Date: January 7, 2021 09:42

UNCUT 285 -- February 2021

ROCKMAN

Date: January 7, 2021 10:50

Don Watts?

jb

Date: January 8, 2021 08:18

Just as long as the guitar plays
Let it steal your heart away
Steal your heart away

................... Torn and Frayed - Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 13, 2021 18:28

Regardless of the Stones reference (about half way down) this looks like a fascinating movie.

[www.theguardian.com]

'The humanity of black characters is often forgotten': behind Oscar-tipped One Night in Miami

In an acclaimed new film, the story of a night between four major figures – Malcolm X, Sam Cooke, Jim Brown and Muhammad Ali – is brought to life

One thing is certain: vanilla ice cream was eaten. The rest? If only we knew.

The year is 1964 and activist Malcolm X, singer-songwriter Sam Cooke and American football player Jim Brown gather in Miami, Florida, to cheer boxer Muhammad Ali – then Cassius Clay – to his first world heavyweight championship. No celebration is planned because he was not expected to win, so the four repair to Malcolm’s hotel room in the segregated African American part of town.

Their little known meeting intrigued writer Kemp Powers when he read about it in Redemption Song: Muhammad Ali and the Spirit of the Sixties, a book about the intersection of civil rights and sport by Mike Marqusee. “It was like a tossed out paragraph and it’s one of those things where you stop and go back and go, wait, what?” Powers recalls in a Zoom interview.

“That sparked a great deal of interest because they were probably four of the most iconic black men to me in my life at that time, so I set about doing a lot of research because I wanted to know how they all met one another.”

A journalist at the time, Powers had to endure pre-internet research involving long distance travel to hunt out-of-print biographies and obscure VHS recordings. Efforts to contact Brown – still alive today – and Ali were unsuccessful. The events of that night remained tantalisingly elusive.

What was a curse for a journalist, however, proved a blessing for a playwright. When he switched careers to creative writing, Powers saw the story’s potential in a new light. “It seemed like the very thing that stopped me and stymied me researching the book, which was I couldn’t really figure out too much of what went on in the room, felt like the perfect grist for a stage drama.”

The upshot was One Night in Miami, a 2013 stage play that earned an Olivier award nomination when it was directed by Kwame Kwei-Armah at London’s Donmar Warehouse a few years later. Now comes a film version adapted by Powers and starring British actor Kingsley Ben-Adir as Malcolm, Eli Goree as Clay, Aldis Hodge as Brown and Hamilton’s Leslie Odom Jr as Cooke.

Most of the action takes place in the secluded hotel room, with the audience a fly on the wall as conversations zig and zag between the trivial and the tragic. Clay, just 22, cocky, beautiful and barely scratched by the big fight, is about to rattle much of white America by announcing his name change and allegiance to the Nation of Islam, a black nationalist movement that worships Allah.

Powers says: “When Ali lit the torch at the Olympics [in 1996], he was at the time the most beloved athlete in the world. But in the 60s a lot of the same people despised him like a demagogue. It’s interesting to see the change in the perception, almost to the point where it seemed like it was prudent for people to forget his politics.

“He was vocal about things that people would not be vocal about and that was aggressive for someone so young. He was willing to even sacrifice his own career on behalf of those beliefs.”

Malcolm was among the most prominent members of the Nation of Islam and the film conveys in him a mix of charm, ferocity and fragility. Powers says: “Malcolm’s philosophy was incredibly powerful and moving to all of those men. When Sam Cooke was killed in a hotel in Los Angeles in December that year, his red Ferrari was parked outside and inside it they found a bottle of whisky next to a copy of Muhammad Speaks.

“That little thing says so much about Malcolm’s philosophy and politics getting into the head of this pop crooner: he had a copy of the Nation of Islam paper in his car on the night he died. Those are the details that give me the grist for this story and the relationships.”

But the true heavyweight bout of this film does not involve Clay. Malcolm accuses Cooke of indulging respectability politics, arguing that he should be using his voice “for the cause” of black liberation instead of entertaining mostly white crowds. “You’re a monkey dancing for an organ grinder to them,” he says.

Cooke contends that his success as black businessman, boosting the careers and incomes of other black artists, is a form of liberation in itself. Then Malcolm puts Bob Dylan’s Blowin’ in the Wind on a record player and pointedly asks how it is that “a white boy from Minnesota speaks more to the struggles of our movement than anything you’ve written in your life”. (Cooke’s eventual response was A Change is Gonna Come.)

As in many strong plays, the author doesn’t choose sides, or rather takes both sides at the same time. Powers recalls: “The joy of seeing it on stage was watching the audience get behind one philosophy and then seeing them have to go [sharp intake of breath] and turn on a dime when the retort made as much if not more sense. Probably the strongest case of that was the fight between Malcolm and Sam where Sam tells a story about the Rolling Stones and his influence on them.
(Article continues...)

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 14, 2021 02:04

Candid Anita in Girls of Rome pictorial february 1962

Il Borghese september 1970

HMN

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: January 15, 2021 15:49

Rockman

MOJO 327 ----- February 2021

So the first record he bought was The Beatles single 'She Loves You'.
That was my first single too.
Given that Mike is two and a half years older than me seems he was
a late bloomer.

Date: January 17, 2021 00:33

ROCKMAN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 17, 2021 01:01

Have you tried COUNTRY Honk Style ?
Mmm

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 17, 2021 02:01

May the good Lord shine a light on you
Make every song you sing your favorite tune

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-17 02:03 by shadooby.

Date: January 17, 2021 03:04

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...318319320321322323324325326327328...LastNext
Current Page: 323 of 373

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home