Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...231232233234235236237238239240241...LastNext
Current Page: 236 of 373
Re: Some Kinda Stones Connections
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 23, 2017 05:01

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 23, 2017 05:15

"If you're looking for a place where your talent can combine a top-notch recording experience with a chance to relax in the Sun... come to Jamaica!"

Tell that to Elton John! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 24, 2017 19:03

"Behind-the-scenes with the legend that is Ronnie Wood! Did you know that Ronnie's artistic talent extends beyond music? Throughout his stellar musical career from The Birds to the Faces and the Rolling Stones, he has never lost his passion for painting, drawing and sculpture. Find out more in his new book ‘Ronnie Wood: Artist’ out next month."

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 26, 2017 00:49

Herald Sun -- 26 July 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: July 26, 2017 01:06

.... nice nice find HMajesty ....Keef & Billy havin' a light up race..hhhaaa Byron Lee bought the WIRL studio
and turned it into Dynamic Sound ........ Cool HM ...... fanks once again man.......always good ta hear from ya

ROCKMAN

Date: July 26, 2017 01:31

GUITARIST --- August 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: July 26, 2017 02:12

The Glimmers gettin' ready for the 26th July ????????????

ROCKMAN

Date: July 27, 2017 09:29

UNCUT 244 --- September 2017

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: July 27, 2017 10:45

^^^ Nice write up smiling smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 27, 2017 11:39

^^^
^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice, very nice, "obit"

Rod

Date: July 29, 2017 01:08

THE AUSTRALIAN --- 29 July 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: July 29, 2017 10:13

It's in him and it's gotta come out ................................. .... Vernon ............................. The Rockin' MachineJeanette McDonald...................Gladys ....... 2 July 1955

ROCKMAN

Date: July 30, 2017 01:43

Herald Sun -- 30 July 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: July 30, 2017 17:41

EXCLUSIVE EXTRACT - 'Nothing prepared me for how little they were': Australian rock veteran Tex Perkins reveals what life was like backstage with The Rolling Stones

Tex Perkins has swaggered across Australian musical stages for three decades
The rocker has fronted The Cruel Sea, Beasts of Bourbon and Don, Tex & Charlie
Iggy Pop has said 'Tex is the realest dude out there - I wish I was more like Tex'
His new autobiography tells how skinny Gregory Perkins became rock god Tex
Perkins says he was stunned at how tiny the Rolling Stones were off the stage

By Stephen Gibbs for Daily Mail Australia
PUBLISHED: 09:50 BST, 30 July 2017 | UPDATED: 09:50 BST, 30 July 2017

Rock god Tex Perkins has fronted some of Australia's most popular bands including The Cruel Sea, Beasts of Bourbon and Tex, Don & Charlie.
From a skinny Brisbane Catholic schoolboy named Gregory, Perkins grew into the rogue band leader and sex symbol who has dominated stages with his swagger and powerful voice for more than 30 years.
Musical legend Iggy Pop has said of Perkins: 'Tex is the realest dude out there. I wish I was more like Tex.'

The following extract of his new autobiography TEX is from a chapter called Touring With The Stones and features Perkins hanging out with Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood:

I was a bit of a cheeky p**** at the time The Cruel Sea toured with the Rolling Stones.

It was the Voodoo Lounge tour of Australia in March 1995.

As much as I love the Rolling Stones - so many great tunes, so much mythology, they are for me THE greatest band of all time and have given me more joy, more pleasure, more inspiration than anyone else - by this stage they had been making a lot of s*** records for many years so I was a bit blase about the whole thing.

The whole SHOW that they put on is stadium entertainment - lots of running from one side of an enormous stage to the other. Over-the-top gestures and a ridiculous amount of lights, screens and special effects.

But the coolest thing was seeing their sound checks, where they just played music - no show, no bull****, just them playing their songs to themselves. They played songs at sound checks that weren't in the show; songs that their massive audience of people who come to just one rock concert a year wouldn't care to hear. Things like 'I Got The Blues' and Keith's 'You Got The Silver'. It was heaven. So yes, it was extremely cool to get to tour with the Rolling Stones but I was a little, well, loose with my respect on the tour.

For starters, The Cruel Sea were really given the 'support band treatment'. Some people have even suggested that we went on before the gates were open and people were let in. That's not true, but as you'd expect we played while people were coming in and finding their seats. We weren't surprised when it happened. We were in awe of our surroundings, but some nights I couldn't help myself. Once after we finished I said to the crowd, 'Don't go home ladies and gentlemen, there's another band on after us.'

Then I upped it a bit the next night with, 'Ladies and gentlemen, next on ... The Beatles.'

I'm not sure whether any of the Stones heard this. Probably not. But it felt like maybe Keith did. We were backstage one night in this area they called the Voodoo Lounge which was like a really extended Green Room. It had a huge food buffet with couches and TVs and the latest pub-style video games. One of which was a favourite of mine at the time - Daytona. [Cruel Sea drummer] Jim Elliot and I, having just finished a race were standing near the machine.

Enter Mick Jagger.
'Ello lads ow ya doin, aw rite?'
'Yeah man, how are you? Just enjoying the facilities.'
'Daytona ay? Fancy a race?'
'F*** yeah!' I said, pushing in front of him and Jim and sitting back down in one of the driver's seats. Everything was free, so away we went. Me and Mick.
Mick fumbled with the gear stick and steering wheel, meandering all over the virtual racetrack. Realising how awful he was, I slowed down and tried not to completely destroy him, but he made it very difficult for me to do a convincing job. 'He spent a lot of money getting that good on that machine,' Jim said comfortingly to Mick as we stood up after the race.
Perkins 1, Jagger 0.

There was a full-size billiard table for Ronnie and Keith and they seemed to have a game before every show.

On another night, I wandered over to the table to watch them play and I noticed that Ronnie was quite good and Keith was quite terrible. I felt uncomfortable and regretted coming over as Keith pushed the balls around the table with no results. No one likes onlookers when they're playing badly.

It was a rainy day and there was no cover on the stage. I asked the WAY too obvious question of 'what happens when it rains' and Keith looked at me and sneers, 'You get wet'.

Ronnie, attempting to lighten the mood, pipes up with a cheery, 'Once in Rio we were playing in a raging hurricane and the rain was coming in horizontally, but we played on. Nothing stops the Stones.'

Jagger was professionally friendly. He was like a politician in that he has a little bit of information on everyone so it seems like he remembers you and cares. He said he'd been listening to our current album and went on to describe a couple of aspects of it, trying to make us feel good, and it did, bless him. But nothing prepared me for how little they all were - I mean they were tiny. They were like miniatures. It seemed like they couldn't have been much more than five foot tall! Jim and I are both around six foot four; we felt weird towering over these giants of rock.

Some people thought it was a bit of a coup for us to get that tour and I suppose it was. On the other hand, I think they just got the biggest band in the country at the time and that just happened to be The Cruel Sea. Six months later it would have been Silverchair.

TEX, by Tex Perkins with Stuart Coupe, is published by Macmillan Australia, RRP $34.99

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: July 31, 2017 21:38

Cristiano Radtke
EXCLUSIVE EXTRACT - 'Nothing prepared me for how little they were': Australian rock veteran Tex Perkins reveals what life was like backstage with The Rolling Stones

Tex Perkins has swaggered across Australian musical stages for three decades
The rocker has fronted The Cruel Sea, Beasts of Bourbon and Don, Tex & Charlie
Iggy Pop has said 'Tex is the realest dude out there - I wish I was more like Tex'
His new autobiography tells how skinny Gregory Perkins became rock god Tex
Perkins says he was stunned at how tiny the Rolling Stones were off the stage

By Stephen Gibbs for Daily Mail Australia
PUBLISHED: 09:50 BST, 30 July 2017 | UPDATED: 09:50 BST, 30 July 2017

Rock god Tex Perkins has fronted some of Australia's most popular bands including The Cruel Sea, Beasts of Bourbon and Tex, Don & Charlie.
From a skinny Brisbane Catholic schoolboy named Gregory, Perkins grew into the rogue band leader and sex symbol who has dominated stages with his swagger and powerful voice for more than 30 years.
Musical legend Iggy Pop has said of Perkins: 'Tex is the realest dude out there. I wish I was more like Tex.'

The following extract of his new autobiography TEX is from a chapter called Touring With The Stones and features Perkins hanging out with Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood:

I was a bit of a cheeky p**** at the time The Cruel Sea toured with the Rolling Stones.

It was the Voodoo Lounge tour of Australia in March 1995.

As much as I love the Rolling Stones - so many great tunes, so much mythology, they are for me THE greatest band of all time and have given me more joy, more pleasure, more inspiration than anyone else - by this stage they had been making a lot of s*** records for many years so I was a bit blase about the whole thing.

The whole SHOW that they put on is stadium entertainment - lots of running from one side of an enormous stage to the other. Over-the-top gestures and a ridiculous amount of lights, screens and special effects.

But the coolest thing was seeing their sound checks, where they just played music - no show, no bull****, just them playing their songs to themselves. They played songs at sound checks that weren't in the show; songs that their massive audience of people who come to just one rock concert a year wouldn't care to hear. Things like 'I Got The Blues' and Keith's 'You Got The Silver'. It was heaven. So yes, it was extremely cool to get to tour with the Rolling Stones but I was a little, well, loose with my respect on the tour.

For starters, The Cruel Sea were really given the 'support band treatment'. Some people have even suggested that we went on before the gates were open and people were let in. That's not true, but as you'd expect we played while people were coming in and finding their seats. We weren't surprised when it happened. We were in awe of our surroundings, but some nights I couldn't help myself. Once after we finished I said to the crowd, 'Don't go home ladies and gentlemen, there's another band on after us.'

Then I upped it a bit the next night with, 'Ladies and gentlemen, next on ... The Beatles.'

I'm not sure whether any of the Stones heard this. Probably not. But it felt like maybe Keith did. We were backstage one night in this area they called the Voodoo Lounge which was like a really extended Green Room. It had a huge food buffet with couches and TVs and the latest pub-style video games. One of which was a favourite of mine at the time - Daytona. [Cruel Sea drummer] Jim Elliot and I, having just finished a race were standing near the machine.

Enter Mick Jagger.
'Ello lads ow ya doin, aw rite?'
'Yeah man, how are you? Just enjoying the facilities.'
'Daytona ay? Fancy a race?'
'F*** yeah!' I said, pushing in front of him and Jim and sitting back down in one of the driver's seats. Everything was free, so away we went. Me and Mick.
Mick fumbled with the gear stick and steering wheel, meandering all over the virtual racetrack. Realising how awful he was, I slowed down and tried not to completely destroy him, but he made it very difficult for me to do a convincing job. 'He spent a lot of money getting that good on that machine,' Jim said comfortingly to Mick as we stood up after the race.
Perkins 1, Jagger 0.

There was a full-size billiard table for Ronnie and Keith and they seemed to have a game before every show.

On another night, I wandered over to the table to watch them play and I noticed that Ronnie was quite good and Keith was quite terrible. I felt uncomfortable and regretted coming over as Keith pushed the balls around the table with no results. No one likes onlookers when they're playing badly.

It was a rainy day and there was no cover on the stage. I asked the WAY too obvious question of 'what happens when it rains' and Keith looked at me and sneers, 'You get wet'.

Ronnie, attempting to lighten the mood, pipes up with a cheery, 'Once in Rio we were playing in a raging hurricane and the rain was coming in horizontally, but we played on. Nothing stops the Stones.'

Jagger was professionally friendly. He was like a politician in that he has a little bit of information on everyone so it seems like he remembers you and cares. He said he'd been listening to our current album and went on to describe a couple of aspects of it, trying to make us feel good, and it did, bless him. But nothing prepared me for how little they all were - I mean they were tiny. They were like miniatures. It seemed like they couldn't have been much more than five foot tall! Jim and I are both around six foot four; we felt weird towering over these giants of rock.

Some people thought it was a bit of a coup for us to get that tour and I suppose it was. On the other hand, I think they just got the biggest band in the country at the time and that just happened to be The Cruel Sea. Six months later it would have been Silverchair.

TEX, by Tex Perkins with Stuart Coupe, is published by Macmillan Australia, RRP $34.99

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Rockerman, I know the Cruel Sea and Beasts of Bourbon even better, but couldnt have placed tex. he sounds like a very sharp dude.

Date: August 1, 2017 02:17

Dude must be a fan of the Bigger Bang track hhhaaa Cat ... yeah I know but
.... Panmure 27 July 2017 ... Photo by Rockeeee

ROCKMAN

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: August 1, 2017 07:11

Rockman..just check'n..:-)

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: August 1, 2017 07:13

....Where Ya been my friend? .... still in NZLand????

ROCKMAN

Date: August 1, 2017 07:21

Rockman..yea mate just crusin' 2017 been a record year got something like 15 concerts penciled in on my Rock Calendar yea..2018 gonna be another memorable year by the looks of it yea

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-01 07:24 by colonial.

Date: August 1, 2017 07:43

That's good ta hear old lad ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 1, 2017 20:11

smileys with beer

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: August 2, 2017 02:04

THE AUSTRALIAN --- 2 August 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: August 2, 2017 04:43

Rockman

THE AUSTRALIAN --- 2 August 2017

A nice note from Patti Smith: [www.newyorker.com]

RIP, Sam.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 2, 2017 06:48

Cristiano Radtke

whole interview up ^^^ there... not copied to save space...

I love pieces like this, Thanks CR smoking smiley
Many many cool excerpts from someone who was there, a real deal guy, who was there.
THIS is why I come here, for stuff like this, which I would not see anywhere elsethumbs up

Also...
gotta give a salute to an Aussie who goes by "Tex" grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-02 06:52 by HankM.

Date: August 3, 2017 02:43

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 3 August 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: August 4, 2017 14:48

MOJO 286 --- September 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: August 6, 2017 09:22

A nice note from Patti Smith: [www.newyorker.com]

Lovely words from Patti ..... Thank you very much Cristiano .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 7, 2017 00:59

Rockman

Dude must be a fan of the Bigger Bang track hhhaaa Cat ... yeah I know but
.... Panmure 27 July 2017 ... Photo by Rockeeee

...or Poisonwinking smiley

Date: August 12, 2017 01:51

ROCKMAN

Date: August 12, 2017 01:52

Herald Sun -- 10 August 2017

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...231232233234235236237238239240241...LastNext
Current Page: 236 of 373

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home