Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 374
Re: Some Kinda Stones Connections
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 9, 2011 16:34

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 9, 2011 16:52

Rockee's on a roll !

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 9, 2011 16:53

Just try to figure out what Marianne said...............

Marianne: Are you happy with that Bitch
Mick: What!!!
Jerry" Huh Huh

Date: July 10, 2011 10:35

UNCUT 171 ---- AUGUST 2011

ROCKMAN

Date: July 10, 2011 11:34

Am waiting for that Uncut in the mail. Incredible shots from NB rehearsals!

Date: July 10, 2011 12:14

....................... Kooyong tennis stadium Melbourne 1973 - Linley Godfrey

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 10, 2011 17:13

ohhh my heart - thank you thank you for those Barbarians, Rock Man

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: July 10, 2011 17:18

with sssoul
ohhh my heart - thank you thank you for those Barbarians, Rock Man

WS - did you happen to catch all that is happening in Keith's pants in the first photo? Nice!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 10, 2011 17:22

yeah Cindy my dear - it's pretty ummm hard to miss :E

i love the New Barbarians

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 16, 2011 03:29

These go to 11: Allen Toussaint and the best obscure soul singers of all time

By W. Paul Smith | July 15th, 2011

Allen Toussaint, seen here at Bonnaroo 2009, knows what's up. Photo by Dave Martin, AP.

Soul legend Allen Toussaint plays Denver Botanic Gardens tonight, and while many might not immediately recognize his name, he is arguably the single most important musician of the New Orleans soul scene of the ’60s and ’70s, and one of the most influential soul producers of all time.

In many ways, Toussaint was like the Quincy Jones of New Orleans, an accomplished musician in his own right, but also an arranger, producer and songwriter for some of the best soul, R&B and funk tunes ever recorded.

And though many of Toussiant’s compositions went on to become huge hits such as Lee Dorsey’s “Working in a Coal Mine,” Ernie K-Doe’s “Mother-in-Law” and Labelle’s “Lady Marmalade,” the name recognition of Toussaint and many of the soul artists he’s produced is unforgivably low.

So, in honor of the underappreciated genius that is Allen Toussaint, here’s a list of other little-known soul artists whose musical greatness has been consigned into relative obscurity over the years. Here are the best obscure classic soul artists you should be listening to:

11. Bettye Swann

Born Betty Jean Champion in Shreveport, La. in 1944, Bettye Swann was best known for her 1967 crossover hit “Make Me Yours.” In the late ’70s Swann’s career took a, well, swan dive, and by the time the ’80s came, she had changed her name to Betty Barton, entered the education sector and became a Jehovah’s Witness.

10. James Carr

A forgotten legend of the Memphis soul scene, James Carr was probably best known for the haunting ballad “At the Dark End of the Street” released in 1966 for Goldwax Records. Carr ironically soon slipped into his own life of darkness, battling drug and alcohol abuse, as well as manic depression and bi-polar disorder. He died of lung cancer in a Memphis hospital at the age of 58.

9. Darondo

Perhaps the most obscure artist on this list, William “Darondo” Pulliam never actually released a full album, only recording a handful of singles. After a brief stint opening for James Brown in the ’70s, Darondo disappeared from the music scene for reasons unknown. He has seen a small uptick in popularity recently after his song “Didn’t I” was used in a first-season episode of AMC’s “Breaking Bad.”

8. Candi Staton

Known as the “First Lady of Southern Soul,” Candi Staton cut her teeth as a teenager on the gospel circuit, but didn’t come into her own until she started working for Rick Hall’s Fame Studios where she recorded some classic soul renditions of country songs such as “Stand by Your Man” and “In the Ghetto.” She briefly flirted with disco in the ’70s and then returned to her gospel roots. In 1992, Staton managed to score a top 10 hit in the UK with the song “You Got the Love.”

7. Joe Tex

Soul virtuoso Joe Tex is perhaps most famous for getting into a pissing contest with James Brown, whom Tex accused of stealing his stage moves. But Brown may have got the best of the feud, far outselling Tex, later stealing Tex’s wife, Bea Ford, and even allegedly firing some wild rounds at Tex in a New York nightclub. Tex is sometimes credited with inventing the term “rap,” which was how he described his style of occasionally speaking over his music.

6. Don Covay

Once the chauffeur for Little Richard, Don Covay co-wrote and recorded the song “Pony Time,” which went on to become a No. 1 hit — only for Chubby Checker when he re-recorded it in 1961. His song “Mercy Mercy” featured a then-unknown and very young Jimi Hendrix on guitar and was later covered by the Rolling Stones. Covay went on to write songs for Solomon Burke and Gladys Knight & The Pips.

5. Irma Thomas

The “Soul Queen of New Orleans,” Irma Thomas was a contemporary of Etta James and Aretha Franklin, only without any of the commercial success. After 45 years in the business and over 15 albums, many of which produced by Allen Toussaint, Thomas finally won a Grammy for Best Contemporary Blues Album in 2007 for her album “After the Rain.”

4. Eddie Bo

Born Edwin Bocage in 1930, New Orleans resident and funk/soul master Eddie Bo recorded more than 50 singles throughout his career, an achievement in New Orleans only surpassed by Fats Domino. He wrote songs for Etta James and Tommy Ridgley, and he also produced and arranged records for Chuck Carbo, Irma Thomas, Mary Jane Hooper and Art Neville.

3. Ann Peebles

Another member of the Memphis soul scene, Ann Peebles did achieve a modicum of commercial success in her career, but her extensive catalogue has since faded into relative obscurity. She had a minor hit with the song “I Can’t Stand the Rain,” a tune John Lennon once called “the best song ever.” Peebles’ songs have since been sampled numerous times by hip-hop artists such as RZA and the Wu-Tang Clan.

2. O.V. Wright

Like James Carr, Overton Vertis Wright was another Memphis soul artist on the Goldwax Record label that died too early. O.V. Wright was one of the most influential singers whose name most people have probably never heard. While Wright never garnered the commercial success he deserved, his legacy can be seen in everyone from Otis Redding (who made famous Wright’s “That’s How Strong My Love Is” to Al Green. Wright struggled with drug addiction and died of a heart attack at age 41.

1. Lee Dorsey

It may seem strange to refer to someone with two top 10 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 under his belt as “obscure,” but while people may remember Lee Dorsey’s signature hit “Working in a Coalmine,” few people remember who sang it. Dorsey went to record some of the greatest rare gems in all of soul music. It’s hard to beat working with Allen Toussaint as a producer/co-songwriter and having the Meters as a backing band for most of his career. Dorsey also wasn’t afraid to shy away from the occasional political commentary with songs such as “Yes We Can,” “Who’s Gonna Help Brother Get Further?” and “Freedom for the Stallion.”

[www.heyreverb.com]

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 16, 2011 04:08

Beggars Banquet

Date: July 21, 2011 01:59

.............................. The Age 21 July 2011

ROCKMAN

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 26, 2011 05:12

Rockman

UNCUT 171 ---- AUGUST 2011

Rockman..yea'.. good stuff smoking smiley

Date: July 27, 2011 01:54

An artist who bought so much beauty to the world. A true Australian charactor
....a wonderful person and so generous to the world ... RIP Margaret and thanks for your gifts....

...... "You get more from giving than receiving." --- Margaret Olley 1923-2011

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-28 00:58 by Rockman.

Date: August 1, 2011 08:49

.................... Many thanks for card Ursula.....sweetX

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: August 3, 2011 09:24

Thank you very much, Rockman! For the Barbarians and - separately - for Margaret Olley. It`s sad to know the artist when the artist`s just died, but it`s great to know a new for you very good artist.

Date: August 3, 2011 10:04

Pleasure kater-v .... glad you got some enjoyment from it all ....

Take Care now won't you....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 4, 2011 01:44

........................................... Melbourne AGE - 4 August 2011

ROCKMAN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 4, 2011 01:54

Cheers
Thanks
Rock

Date: August 4, 2011 02:00

Anytime schillid..... good ta see ya hangin' around the camp again ....stay safe

ROCKMAN

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: August 4, 2011 02:09

Rockman
.................... Many thanks for card Ursula.....sweetX

Great picture! Thank you. This is Michael Cooper with the camera? I wonder did he film the band too - I would like to see the footage.
Dude with glasses - is it Robert Fraser?

Date: August 4, 2011 08:32

Proudmary ....... Yes that's Robert Fraser and
for more on Fraser's life it's well worth tracking down the book

Groovy Bob
The Life and Times of Robert Fraser - Harriet Vyner

Although the small piece about Robert with Idi Amin made the eyes go blink ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 4, 2011 08:46

Rockman

[Blink]

Any details, Rockeee? This sounds like a rare story.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: August 4, 2011 12:40

Rockman

Groovy Bob

Yes, this book is worth reading. I liked Marianne's recolections, especially this one where she describes as Jagger tore his shirt out of jealousy when he saw her and Fraser together.
In this photo Fraser is much younger and prettier than the pictures I've seen

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: August 4, 2011 12:53

proudmary
Rockman

Groovy Bob

Yes, this book is worth reading. I liked Marianne's recolections, especially this one where she describes as Jagger tore his shirt out of jealousy when he saw her and Fraser together.
In this photo Fraser is much younger and prettier than the pictures I've seen

He looks like Frankie Boyle!

Date: August 5, 2011 11:54

........ most wanted .... Record Collector 391 - August 2011

ROCKMAN

Date: August 6, 2011 01:31

......................... MOJO 214 --- September 2011

ROCKMAN

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: August 6, 2011 04:25

Rockman

......................... MOJO 214 --- September 2011

Yeah, Keith. Stop persecuting Mick!

Date: August 7, 2011 01:00

........... The MOJO Interview - John Cooper Clarke - MOJO 214 - September 2011

ROCKMAN

Date: August 7, 2011 01:26

ALL BACK TO MY PLACE ----- MOJO 214 - September 2011

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 374

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home