Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: Concerts you should have gone to, and lived to regret.....
Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: September 5, 2007 17:16

Sounds more like Van Haleniana to me ...

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 5, 2007 17:17

So AdrianL served Coke on a tray at Freddie Mercurys birthday bash whilst being a member of Soft Cell?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 5, 2007 17:20

lol

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: September 5, 2007 17:20

Dwarves/ trays of coke?
yes.
And more...

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 5, 2007 17:23

You'll be telling next Adrians got a handlebar moustache and likes leather biker caps worn at a jaunty angle?

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 5, 2007 17:24

Not really regret...but probably....Rio (stones)
And get stuck at the airport winking smiley

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 5, 2007 17:28

I should have taken a Eurostar and tried to have a ticket for the Shepherds Bush in 1999.

I should - according to my friends - have taken a ticket to see The Who this year in Paris

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: September 5, 2007 17:40

Muddy Waters opening for Clapton, Glasgow Apollo. Must have been about '74. A mate's band was playing in a nearby pub. Guess it must have been a loyalty thing, but I ended up in the pub.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: September 5, 2007 18:22

many regrets

1. After seeing 1st Stones show that day sold 3 tickets to 7 - 21 - 72 evening show

2. Sold a pair of floor 25th row center tickets for Stones 2nd philly show 6-30-75 because me & friends had hotel reservations for Jersey shore vacation that same day

3. Although i had tickets for da 2 Stones 1975 philly shows , a friend called whom had many msg Stones tickets & offered me a free one & i didn't go

4. Mick's birthday show 1972 , friends of mine went & offered me a ride but da goin scalper price of $ 70.00 was just too much for me

5. John Lennon's One to One concert 1972 , a close friend of mine scored 2 tickets & told me , if my sister don't want to go you're in , well his sister went

6. Led Zep 1973 , ooh i would of went but i had a broken leg at the time

7. Although i seen da 1st 1977 msg show I sold 4 tickets for Led Zeps last msg 1977 show

8. Elvis philly 1977 , while @ a ticketmaster machine inside a mall i asked " Who's on sale " & attendant said Elvis @ Spectrum in Phila. & i walked away

9. Supremes 2000 philly , it opened in philly & soon after tour cancelled from bad ticket sales

alright ill stop now

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 5, 2007 18:25

..thats quite a catalogue of near-misses, chippy

Posted by: Phantom ()
Date: September 5, 2007 18:30

AC/DC (with Bon Scott) in 1979. I wasn't allowed to go by my dad and a few months later Bon died.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 5, 2007 18:30

Bob Marley - LA Roxy '78 or '79? My older brother had a ticket for me, but I couldn't make it.
Never did get to see him live. sad smiley

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Santana - '88. I'd seen SRV several times before this, but never Santana at the time.
Had tickets, but couldn't make it. Sold the tix for 1/2 price to a friend.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 5, 2007 19:12

Sinatra, Davis & Minnellis 'Main Event' show at Lansdowne Road Dublin in 1987. Had a bit of an interest in seeing Sinatra, although I got into his music a lot more later. My (soon-to-be) wife appreciated him more back then. I didnt fancy the idea of seeing two other artists I'd little interest in, had heard stories that he was past it and had remembered the stories of massive ticket prices when he played London a couple of years earlier. As it turned out, friends from Dublin who went said that outside you could have got 2 tickets for the price of one and that Ol' Blue Eyes (and the show in general) was absolutely fantastic. He never played over here again.

Likewise in the early 90's, I passed up an offer of a free ticket to see the Highwaymen (Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson) when they played the Kings Hall in Belfast. Two of them are no longer here, they didnt play here again and to this day I cant believe I passed on a ticket to see Johnny Cash.

James Brown in Belfast in the mid 90s as well. Just didnt have the money to go.

Big lesson. If you get one chance to see a legend, even in the later stages of their career, dont pass it up. There may not be a next time.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 5, 2007 19:16

yup passed up a great chance to see ol' blues eyes at the Circle Star Theater in San Carlos (just south of SF) a couple of weeks after the Stones left town in '89...still beating myself up over that gaffe.....

Date: September 5, 2007 19:18

I never went to a Rory Gallagher concert.
That's what I regret the most.

And I could add : Back in 1973 Stones were playing two concerts same evening in Copenhagen. I went to the first one. But not the second one. Was 17 and without any cash. Just to remind myself about it makes me....mad.

And I went home in Munich after the Olympia Halle concert.....to read here that lots of tickets could be bought for Cirkus Krone. That's called stupidity. Thank God, I saw the concert in another Cirkus in Stockholm.....

Date: September 5, 2007 19:24

Three actually...
1. I'm pissed nobody took me to see The Beatles when I was a kid...

2. Woodstock- My Mom wouldn't allow me to go with the bikers next door, I was 6.

3. Stones- Rose Bowl 1994. I was on the phone with TicketMaster, had decent seats lined up, but then opted out and hung up the phone. I think it was because the show was on an "inconvenient" weeknight. That hardly stops me now though.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: September 5, 2007 19:30

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-31 06:00 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: September 5, 2007 19:31

I sat out the Stones' 1978 show in Anaheim. After seeing a handful of shows at the Forum in L.A. in 1975, I was being pissy about having to go to an outdoor stadium to see them perform. So I stayed home.

I also have never made it to a New Barbarians show, or any Ron Wood solo shows. I did see the Faces in 1975, however, and I also saw Ron perform several songs with Rod at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago.

In the early and mid-70s, I managed to see Jethro Tull (WarChild tour), Led Zeppelin, David Bowie (Diamond Dogs tour) and . . . er . . . Linda Ronstadt when she was wearing a Cub Scout uniform. But I never made it to a Mott the Hoople show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-05 19:32 by Monkeylad.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 5, 2007 19:40

the who in america last year.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 5, 2007 19:47

The Who at Wembley Empire Pool (now Arena), October 1975.

Had tickets but decided schoolwork was more important!

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 5, 2007 19:50

WHich two of the Higwaymen have we lost, i knw Johnny Cash has passed but I was sure KK,WN & WJ were still with us.

I've missed laods of gigs, but seen anough to make up for it. one big reget was a "blues" bill at Alexandria Palace. Ray Charles,Muddy WAters, John Lee Hooker and Van Morrison around 1978. we had tickets and all set to go. Ally Pally burnt down gig cancelled and never rescheduled, I've see Van countless times but never the others.
Also had tickets for Nirvana at Brixton but Ccancelled for obvious reasons.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 5, 2007 19:55

cirrhosis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John Lee Hooker. I don't remember the specifics,
> but I think he might've been playing some kind of
> festival gig about 2-3 hours away. It wasn't long
> after this that he died.
>
> I also tend to regret not going to more Stones
> shows. Case in point: I've got some great
> memories of seeing the VL tour with friends, but
> Christ, we could've gone to so many more shows if
> any of us had actually had a goddamn job.

his last gig ever was just a few minutes from where I live in Santa Rosa - apparently it was unusually good, too. passed on it (seen him many other times) and he passed a day or two later....

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: September 5, 2007 20:26

Rolling Stones Myrtle Beach 1978.
We were partying in Myrtle Beach but too busy chasing girls that night.
Saw them in Greensboro about a week later as i recall, but i've always regretted missing the Myrtle Beach show.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: September 5, 2007 21:06

Missed THE DOORS/JIMBO by about 12 hours when on vacation in Honolulu, Hawaii in the summer of 1968 (STRANGE DAYS had just come out cause they were using the intro to WHEN THE MUSIC'S OVER for the radio ads all week long). Was flying to another island the night of show. If we could have flown out the next morning could have gone to the show. I was just a kid (my firt "airplane" vacation - no metal detectors or X-ray machines to deal wth yet - but that would have been great to see the DOORS in Hawaii)

Missed THE DOORS again on their MORRISON HOTEL tour in Southern California. Can't remember the venues but my slacker friends couldn't get their ticket money together (pot and more pot came first to those dudes - that's were all the money went). That one really pissed me off - no more DOORS tours, JIMBO and Pam left for Paris and he never came back.

Missed THE BEATLES in 64 (way too young), 65 (still too young), 66 (Dodger's Stadium, "We're bigger than Jesus" tour - too much weird/neg sh*t going on (and STILL to young). Had a friend in High School who got to meet LENNON/McCARTNEY at the Hollywood Bowl backstage in 1965 cause his dad was a sound engineer there. Shook hands with both of them as they joked with him. Had the BEST reel to reel tape of the 64/65 shows that his dad had taped - excellent sound!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 5, 2007 21:15

Nanker Phlegm Wrote:
> WHich two of the Higwaymen have we lost, i knw
> Johnny Cash has passed but I was sure KK,WN & WJ
> were still with us.
>

Waylon Jennings died in February 2002. Cash is four years gone a week from today.

Kristofferson and Nelson are still touring

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: September 5, 2007 21:20

I was stationed in San Diego in 1994 when the Stones came into town and it was on my birthday Oct. 17 (think it was Jack Murphy Stadium?).

The tickets were pretty cheap too but the ticket agent was kind of vague when I asked her about the view/stage setup so I balked. In retrospect I should have went anyway. The ticket was only like thirty or forty bucks through the USO.

Date: September 5, 2007 21:25

Madonna 1985 "like a Virgin" tour Hampton Va
i was still in school at the time and had reached my "limit" to concerts my parents would let me go to, and i had already got tickets for Phil Collins
i finally saw her in 2001.

The reason i started going to every concert i could possibly see was because
my parents would not take me to The Stones in Hampton in 1981. I live 10 miles away. They thought i was too young (13 years old & already they were my favorite band). I was very very upset, as you would expect. So i told them i was going to go to every concert that came to town! And i still remind them from time to time. I had to wait until 89 to see them.

oh another one was The Jacksons Victory tour 1984 in Washington DC. My dad got free tickets from a Pepsi vendor, in the Pepsi corprate box. after that and the 81 Hampton Stones show, its a wonder i talked to my parents ever again! lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-05 21:29 by Donkey Girl Scout.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 5, 2007 21:35

Gazza Wrote:
> Nanker Phlegm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > WHich two of the Higwaymen have we lost, i knw
> > Johnny Cash has passed but I was sure KK,WN &
> WJ
> > were still with us.
> >
>
> Waylon Jennings died in February 2002. Cash is
> four years gone a week from today.
>
> Kristofferson and Nelson are still touring

FECK ! how did I miss that Waylon passed away sad smiley

Amothe gig I had tickets for was MoTT the HoPPle in Cork ariund 74. Unfortunatly the Dixie's (irish showband) your coach was blown up and MoTT cancelled. Gigs in ireland (outside dublin certainly) were a rarity in those days allready and it got worse.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 6, 2007 00:25

Elvis in Macon, 1977 - just a few months before his death
Stevie Ray Vaughn - a number of times

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: September 6, 2007 00:48

How about Stones Urban Jungle at Wembley. My parents wouldn't let me go but I should have insisted - or ran away from home.

I guess you could argue that I could have gone to more stones concerts in general, but I only have limited money and, quite frankly, never want to get to the point of some of the people on this forum where it loses its magic.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1684
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home