Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A live CD for every concert.
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: August 21, 2007 04:21

A friend of mine said that she has been to a couple of concerts recently , the last being Simply Red, and you get a ticket as you go in to order your own CD of the concert then you wait about 10 mins at the end and collect your own live CD of the concert. She said it was about £15.00, I wonder if the Stones would ever consider that, think of all the bootlegs it would save!

Re: A live CD for every concert.
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 21, 2007 04:25

There's been much discussion about the Stones not selling their music at shows. I wish they would as well.

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 21, 2007 09:35

the Stones don't own their whole catalog, which complicates any official release that includes ABKCO-owned material.
obviously the complications are not insurmountable for one or two releases per tour,
but
when you ponder something like 137 official releases on a global scale, it clearly gets a bit daunting.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: August 21, 2007 10:40

The Who sell recordings of most if mot all of their gigs on-line. The Pixies did it as well on their first reunion tour.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: August 21, 2007 11:39

the number of shows is not a problem. You do not make a contract for each show. The problem is a general act with klein.
It could be a contract available for all releases (no matter which songs were played during the show - 60 era or later) with a part for him and a part for our favorite band (but do they want it ?)

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: August 21, 2007 11:45

it must be tied up like a kipper - i mean, channel 4 were powerless to broadcast much from IOW...
i dont understand tho why the stones haven't tried to buy some of the rights back from these sources..

Dog

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 21, 2007 13:31

Nanker Phlegm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Who sell recordings of most if mot all of
> their gigs on-line. The Pixies did it as well on
> their first reunion tour.

They even sell the DVD, which is just great.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: August 21, 2007 13:33

Pearl Jam , Peter Gabriel, The Who, Genesis all made Encore Series and it is great. Stones should do sth like this from 2007 European tour in limited numbers 25.000 from each show

Posted by: sherer1 ()
Date: August 21, 2007 13:52

surely Klien wouldn't mind getting some extra income from this so I can't see that being a problem.

i heard it was more Jagger the perfectionish not wanting a bad performance out there plus with no overdubs and corrections of the mistakes he wouldn't like that going out to everyone

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: August 21, 2007 14:34

DoughboyUK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it must be tied up like a kipper - i mean, channel
> 4 were powerless to broadcast much from IOW...
> i dont understand tho why the stones haven't tried
> to buy some of the rights back from these
> sources..
>
>
> Dog

Oh, they have tried and tried and tried, but Mr. Klein is not an easy (business-)man ;-)

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: August 21, 2007 14:51

reminder : do not sign under pressure, without having read all the pages and not without ADVICES !! Find your Lowenstein ...
and what happens when Klein is dead ?? does someone know if the catalog will profit his inheritance ??

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: August 21, 2007 15:03

when he´s dead the rights won´t go back to the stones automaticly

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 21, 2007 15:03

>> Mr. Klein is not an easy (business-)man <<

thanks Mofur, for seeing/clarifying the point. nor is the relationship between Stones Inc & ABKCO
a steadily amiable/easy one. any agreement depends on both sides feeling good not only with the deal
but with each other, which isn't always simple to achieve & maintain.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: August 21, 2007 18:59

The Who
KISS
the Black Crowes
Metallica
Pearl Jam
The Allman Brothers Band
The Straycats
Genesis
Peter Gabriel

There are many bands offering this kind of opportunity.
We were happy to see a complete compilation like 40 Lix a few years ago.
It proved that it is possible to do something with ABKCO, so maybe one day the Stones will definitely solve the problem and be able to sell their concerts on line.
I'm sure they have recorded almost all their shows since 2002, if not much earlier.

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: August 21, 2007 19:04

By the time the Stones grandchildren are the executors, they will have found a way to release old shows in soundboard quality. In about 30 years I would estimate.

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: August 21, 2007 20:24

I'm surprised more bands don't do this. When I saw The Who last year there was an announcemnet several times before the show and a website URL given where you could order a DVD of the show you were seeing. I ordered when I got home but had to wait about 6 weeks until it was sent from U.K.

The quality of audio and video was great. I'm pretty sure a fairly large % of every audience would order such an item after getting home and being pumped from seeing a good concert.

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 21, 2007 21:21

Klein is no problem at all. The Stones dont have to make any contracts with him for instant live CDs, they do not even have to ask for Kleins permission. for every CD they manufacture after a show mechanical royalities have to be paid to a collecting agency which then pays the collected monies to the publisher who usually divide this between himself and the song composers. if ABKCO material is used, Klein can simply collect his share and pay Jagger-Richards their share. its easy, and Klein cant veto. when the Stones cover a James Brown song like I'll Go Crazy the collecting agency transfers the mechanical royalties for this song to Browns publishers, and they keep their share and pay the composer of the song, but they cant veto the release of the Stones cover version.

so blame Klein for anything, but blaming him for the fact that the Stones dont do instant live CDs or DVDs is simply not justified. if theres someone to blame its the Stones themselves, they dont want to do it. first, they dont need the extra cash from instant live CDs, they earn more than enough from ticket sales and merchandise, compared to this money the money from instant live CDs would be just, well, peanuts only. and secondly, the Stones are control freaks who dont want to make warts and all live recordings available, simple as that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-21 21:23 by alimente.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: August 21, 2007 21:44

they don´t need to do it. Buy what you can get and accept it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2113
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home