Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Pogues
Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: August 19, 2007 21:03

With the boys latest Irish show I thought I would ask the experts about an Irish Band.

What would be a good place to start for a NEWBIE to get introduced to the Pogues

I see they have a 'Best of OF' issued in the early 90's I believe but I tend to stay away from these "Best Of" type collections..unless it is recommended by you guys.

So perhaps you guys could suggest 1 or 2 of their top LPS which would give me a good idea

thank you in advance!!!

Mac

Re: OT: The Pogues
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 19, 2007 21:07

The 'best of' is a good enough introduction.

Their best studio album is probably "Rum, Sodomy & The Lash". Their mid/late 80's stuff is their best work.

PS - they're an English band, not Irish, for the most part....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-20 03:15 by Gazza.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: August 19, 2007 22:46

Believe it or not i was at the first ever gig under the Pogue Mahone name. Knew Shane quite well at the time and ista go see his first band the NiPs.

i'd start with the compilation or Rum, Sodomy & the Lash. if you get the CD re-issue of red roses for me, listend to the fade out on kitty, the eggit going diddly aye is myself. it was on original vinyal pressing but removed in error ( by some one with taste and ears smiling smiley)

probably seen them more than anyone else.

Posted by: domingo ()
Date: August 20, 2007 00:01

They have a really good cover of Honky Tonk Women...donĀ“t remember the record,sorry

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: August 20, 2007 00:25

Sounds like Nanker is the one to get our Pogues answers from... My first Pogues album, after seeing them open for U2 in '87, was If I Should Fall from Grace with God. It was a great place to start, as that was a real big breakthrough album in America. Then I bought the previous two, and every one since as they came out.

The Pogues are truly brilliant, legendary. The only albums I would caution you against are the two without Shane MacGowan, which are titled Pogue Mahone and Waiting For Herb. These are the two last studio albums, and while they are not bad records, they just can't hold a candle to the rest of the lot.

Good luck with your Pogues purchases and enjoy!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 20, 2007 02:52

Rum Sodomy and the Lash isn't actually that highly regarded amongst Pogues fanatics (i like it alot, though)....go for their first one and work your way up chronologically, would be my suggestion....getting to see them agin in a few weeks....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-20 02:53 by StonesTod.

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: August 20, 2007 03:38

Red Roses for Me...."The Boys from the County Hell"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 20, 2007 04:34

Classic clip - The Pogues w/The Dubliners

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: August 20, 2007 22:53

Check out Shane Macgowans (God bless him) solo stuff with the Popes too-- a great compilation called "The Rare ol Stuff"--great !

Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: August 21, 2007 00:46

duly noted as i value each and everyones opinion herE!!! MANY THANKS FROM THIS FLORIDA CRACKER!!!

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: August 21, 2007 01:58

The newly edited and remastered "Rum Sodomy...etc" would be a great place to start as most of the extra songs comes from a great EP that's only been available in vinyl and not for a long time.

Another - more mature - masterpiece (IMHO) is "If I Should Fall...."

After that it all went a bit south without being actually bad and I personally love their last album "Hell's Ditch", which I've always seen as their "Exile..."

However, you should not miss the first Shane MacGowan solo - "Snake" - either (Mind you - his second was nicknamed "Crock of Shit".....by MacGowan himself *lol*)

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: August 21, 2007 06:25

I actual prefer Shane's both albums with the Popes. Less fabric softener, more Shane, and more Irish. Compare "Summer in Siam" with "Church of the Holy Spook". I rest my case.

"Crock of GOLD" is a GREAT album, if you can find it. (I finally found a copy at the big store on the Champs D'Elysee after years of searching.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home