Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Transport in London
Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: August 1, 2007 14:35

I would urge all visitors to check out this site before travelling To London:

[www.tfl.gov.uk]

I'm also copying over from the Shidoobee website some public transport information I posted some time back:

"London has a complex ticketing system for public transportation, so it's worth checking the official website www.tfl.gov.uk

If you will only be travelling after 09:30 in the morning it may be simplest to buy a One Day Zones 1 to 2 Travelcard from any tube station for around $10, which will give you unlimited travel by tube or bus for the day. A similar ticket for travel before 09:30, except at weekends, will cost around $14.

Buying individual tickets for each journey can be very expensive, so it'll usually be beneficial to invest in an Oyster Card, see the website, eg Tottenham Court Road to North Greenwich (for the O2) at around $4 with Oyster and $8 without."

and also:

"The concerts will be over by 11pm latest I'd guess, and there's little to keep you interested locally in hanging around much after the concert.

Yes, taxis seem to be the only realistic choice for getting back to central London from the O2 much after midnight (and earlier on a Sunday). There is a taxi rank right outside North Greenwich station a few steps away, so if you're going to an O2 organized post-concert function, the cab drivers would know about it, and would make a point of making a detour to the O2. You'll probably find others heading your direction, so you can share costs. It really is a place physically out on its own, only established as a concert venue this summer.

The infrequent nearest Night Bus service, the N1, doesn't run close by, so is not really an option from here.

*extra information added:
Bus service no.188 runs 7 days a week approx every 15 minutes back to/from Russell Square in central London, taking about 40 minutes at quiet times, with last service from North Greenwich station at 01:20. Because of high traffic levels wouldn't recommend out towards the O2, take the Tube instead."

Hope you find it useful.

Re: Transport in London
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 1, 2007 14:51

Good post Paul. I'll just add a postscript ... a further word of warning. Visitors PLEASE BE AWARE, The area round the O2 is NOT a good place stuck if you miss the last train(s) from North Greenwich station. The venue is indeed very much out there on the Greenwich peninsula largely on its own, and you should also be aware that taxis in London are NOT known for being cheap, certainly not as compared to a great many other European capitals and for that matter, NYC/Manhattan. So you DO very much need to be conscious of what time(s) the last trains run through that station, and it is liable to be different on a Sunday to weekdays, so CHECK. Do yourselves a favour ... DON'T get stuck there after public transport shuts down for the night. You won't in all probability enjoy the experience.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 1, 2007 14:52

We're repeating ourselves, but here goes (again)

i was there last friday, for a concert.....plenty of trains/good service, at 11pm, but trains shut down soon after midnight... then you got problems.
If you're going to be based in a Central London hotel, that week, you should leave the Greenwich area straight after the show(s) and head back to
the night-life ,that the centre of town, has to offer.

Date: August 1, 2007 14:57

Adrian-L Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We're repeating ourselves, but here goes (again)
>
> i was there last friday, for a concert.....plenty
> of trains/good service, at 11pm, but trains shut
> down soon after midnight... then you got problems.
>
> If you're going to be based in a Central London
> hotel, that week, you should leave the Greenwich
> area straight after the show(s) and head back to
> the night-life ,that the centre of town, has to
> offer.

I know ... but just ask yourself how many times the likes of you and I have been up in town and NOT made that last train from Waterloo heading out southwest ? Missing it always seems like a great bloody idea "at the time", it's typically when the bar closes and reality strikes that you think "f***, I wish I'd gotten out of here when I could get home for 5 quid instead of 50" !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-01 14:58 by paulywaul.

Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: August 1, 2007 14:58

Common... I´m starting to be in panic...

Adrian, since I need got the Jubilee line.... when you say : -----you should leave the Greenwich area straight after the show(s------ if the show end at 11.00.....there´s suppossed to be trains till 12.00 or so, not??? I mean, I´ll not drink any beers later of the show in North Greenwich area.... but I don´t need go running too.... not???

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 1, 2007 15:01

When Barbra Streisand performed at the O2 recently it was total transportation chaos. People were still queuing to get out by 1am I am told. Mind you the O2 is a new venue for concerts, it used to be called Millenium Dome and did not have concerts as far as I know. It will be great fun to see how transportation works. And they say there is a tunnel under the thames so rather than being stuck in a tube queue may be a tunnel queue is faster. Or a car. Who knows.

Bjornulf

Date: August 1, 2007 15:02

kaskatanas Wrote:
> Common... I´m starting to be in panic...
>
> Adrian, since I need got the Jubilee line....
> when you say : -----you should leave the
> Greenwich area straight after the show(s------
> if the show end at 11.00.....there´s suppossed to
> be trains till 12.00 or so, not??? I mean, I´ll
> not drink any beers later of the show in North
> Greenwich area.... but I don´t need go running
> too.... not???

Just be at the station by 23:45 or (23:30 perhaps on a Sunday - but CHECK for train times first if I were you) and you'll be OK to get a train away from Greenwich and back into central London, that's all we're saying. Unlike SOME cities, the tube here does NOT run 24 hours per day.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 1, 2007 15:04

kaskatanas Wrote:
> Common... I´m starting to be in panic...
>
> Adrian, since I need got the Jubilee line....
> when you say : -----you should leave the
> Greenwich area straight after the show(s------
> if the show end at 11.00.....there´s suppossed to
> be trains till 12.00 or so, not??? I mean, I´ll
> not drink any beers later of the show in North
> Greenwich area.... but I don´t need go running
> too.... not???

Sorry, I'm not Adrian responsing, but you'll be fine.

Just leave the gig prompley and get the Jubilee line to Waterloo East. You'l be there in no time and won't miss your train. No need to run.

Those who miss their trains tend to be those who arse about after the shows ;O)

Date: August 1, 2007 15:14

Do NOT under any circumstances consider hiring a car whilst in London, you'd be crazy to do so.

The problems regarding transport, specifically taxis, after one of the Striband, or whatever her name is,concerts last week was due to concerts by Joss Stone and the British premiere of The Simpsons film talking place in the same venue.

Making sure you're in time for the last Tube is the answer.

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: August 1, 2007 15:15

well even if in danger of repeating ourselves, I live in central london but my cousin lives not too far from the o2, in greenwich. last trains on jubilee line normally don't leave there before 12.30 so it should be fine getting a train to central london after the show ends.
regards

Date: August 1, 2007 15:19

Thansk a lot Paulywaly (I´ve see you in Lisboa, dont was you?) and Big Al!! Ok, end of show, go to the tube station and got your tube... this shouldn´t be any problem!!! Anyway, if there´s any updates about the hours of the last tube and so on... please, keep posting!!! smiling smiley

Date: August 1, 2007 15:22

Till 12.30?? This is plenty of time then!!! Do you know if the sundays is till this hour too therollingmanu??

Date: August 1, 2007 15:23

bv Wrote:
> When Barbra Streisand performed at the O2 recently
> it was total transportation chaos. People were
> still queuing to get out by 1am I am told.

queuing to get out of the carparks??? - yes..big 'orrible queues.
public transport??? - no problem.

leave North Greenwich, after the show, by tube (Jubilee Line), and you'll be fine.
Jubilee Line trains run every 2-3 mins, into Waterloo and the centre of town... no need to panic, but don't leave it any later than 11.45 (23.45).....
...its a bloody long walk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-01 15:30 by Adrian-L.

Date: August 1, 2007 15:25

paulywaul Wrote:
>
> I know ... but just ask yourself how many times
> the likes of you and I have been up in town and
> NOT made that last train from Waterloo heading out
> southwest ?

too many times, and if you're lucky enough to flag down a cab,
you'll need to re-mortgage your house, to pay for it.

don't miss the last train back! - you've been warned!
(more than once!)

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: August 1, 2007 15:30

kaskatanas Wrote:
> Till 12.30?? This is plenty of time then!!! Do you
> know if the sundays is till this hour too
> therollingmanu??

I think so yes. Just to be on the safe side, I'll check with my cousin or, as someone said before, check www.tfl.gov.uk.

Date: August 1, 2007 15:32

use this website for all your O2 / Jubilee Line, queries :-

[www.tfl.gov.uk]

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: August 1, 2007 15:33

I think there's a Clipper service that runs until 4:30 to central London.

Date: August 1, 2007 15:34

OK. Thanks for the feedback. So car is no good idea. All I heard was it was total chaos. Good to know the tube is fine. So staying in central London should be ok.

Bjornulf

Date: August 1, 2007 15:39

bv Wrote:
> OK. Thanks for the feedback. So car is no good
> idea. All I heard was it was total chaos. Good to
> know the tube is fine. So staying in central
> London should be ok.

car is very bad and expensive idea.
public transport, is good and (relatively) inexpensive idea.

A 'One Day Travelcard' (all zones) with cost you approx 6 pounds,
and will give you unlimited use on trains/tubes/buses
(within the designated zones)

... btw - don't try and 'fare-dodge'
it's something the transport authorities are really cracking down on...
'zero-tollerance' £20, on-the-spot fine, if caught without the correct ticket.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-01 15:41 by Adrian-L.

Posted by: somegirls ()
Date: August 1, 2007 15:40

Adrian-L Wrote:
> use this website for all your O2 / Jubilee Line,
> queries :-
>
> [www.tfl.gov.uk]

Yes check this Website, and go to the "Journey Planner" and put "From" and "To", then you will see.
OR if you use "Advanced options", then you can check the schedule on the weekends.

Date: August 1, 2007 15:44

Just I´ve check this web mates..... last tube at 22.52... then, a noisy mix of buses from 02.02 hours.... ??????

Date: August 1, 2007 15:50

first and last Jubilee line trains here:

[www.tfl.gov.uk]

Date: August 1, 2007 16:02

barking paul Wrote:
> first and last Jubilee line trains here:
>
> [www.tfl.gov.uk]
> ast-jubilee.pdf

Perfect ... thank you. No further questions necessary.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: August 1, 2007 16:05

There is a thames clipper service.

Check this out:

[www.thamesclippers.com]

I really think this is a great solution for people not wishing to take the tube, or, that want to stay on for a couple of celebratory drinks after the show, whether at one of the bars in the O2 complex, or the indigO2 aftershow party.

All the information is on the website, including prices, but I want to highlight a couple of things here:

The thames clipper service runs from waterloo pier, and stops at london bridge and then it's final destination is the QE2 pier, for the O2 arena. It takes just under 30mins, and is £4 each way / £8 return.

**** This is the cool bit ****

Ok, as most of you are aware, the O2 venue likes to put on these aftershow parties in the IndigO2 club, for example, with prince, and, importantly here, THE ROLLING STONES. The great thing is that, the thames clipper service runs until 4:30am, but only when there is one of these aftershow parties. So that means anyone at the O2 arena for the stones concerts that decides to drink late there, and they miss the last tube, will still be able to get back to central london until 4:30am.

** However, please be aware that once you are at waterloo, you will have to either walk or take a cab (probably only a short ride if you are staying in central london, and shared between more that one passenger becomes very reasonable) to get back to your hotel. **

As others have said, DO NOT HIRE A CAR! It is not worth it. I am a chauffeur and I'm used to the crazy traffic, the speed cameras, the impatient drivers, the congestion charge, and the worse roads that become gridlocked at certain times. Please do not ruin your holiday by trying to drive around central london. Oh, I forgot to mention that parking is incredibly difficult at times, and in peak zones costs £4 per hour!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: August 1, 2007 16:14

I am adding this and other London threads to the London Travel pages so that they are easy to find at all times: [iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Date: August 1, 2007 17:13

Yes, thanks barkingpaul....... last tube on 21 and 23 at 00.16 and last tube on 26 at 23.41.... Let´s hope the show start a bit earlier in sunday!!

See you all in London!!

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 1, 2007 19:18

One sure way to get to where you need to go is a black cab. Yes, they're expensive, but yes, you get what you pay for. Mini cabs are the scourge of life itself.

Posted by: Darryl Jones ()
Date: August 2, 2007 01:06

If anyone really does get stuck and misses the last public transport back to Central London or can't get a cab in the O2 area, I suggest that you walk into Greenwich as there is a pedestrian tunnel there, just past the site of the Cutty Sark. It's called the Greenwich Foot Tunnel and it's open 24/7 but the lifts may not operate that time of night so you may have to walk up approx 100 steps but at least it will get you to the other side of the river and on your journey back to Central London. The reason I'm saying this is that I've just spoken to my brother who is a London Cab driver who works nights. He tells me that almost all of the cabbies he's spoken to intend to avoid the O2 on the 21st,23rd and 26th as they don't want to get stuck in the sort of jams they encountered at the Streisand shows. It will probably be easier to pick a cab up on the north side of the river. The cabbies make more money on the move in Central London than sitting in jams! On the other hand, I live on the other side of the river, just a short distance from the O2...so if anyone needs a bed for the night.....smiling smiley

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: August 17, 2007 16:07

Anyone yet to use the tube post gig ? just curious to Q times. I've heard some horror stories about the Prince gigs.

Date: August 17, 2007 16:10

Nanker Phlegm Wrote:
> Anyone yet to use the tube post gig ? just curious
> to Q times. I've heard some horror stories about
> the Prince gigs.

yes. i used it a couple of weeks ago.

Simultaneous shows at the Arena, the Indigo2, exhibition, and cinema multiscreen chuck-outs.

no tube train problems getting back to Waterloo

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home