Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: St Petersburg setlist and reports
Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: July 29, 2007 17:16

Daylight shows are interesting.. I`ve never seen one but.. the opening song is always one of the highlights and they`re mostly in the daylight!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 29, 2007 17:17

Svartmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The fabulous vodka consumption is one of the
> reasons the average life length for a man is 59 in
> Russia.

Having read these reports, it may be down to the irrepairable damage done to their bladders by not peeing often enough....

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 29, 2007 17:34

Sure wish I had seen that show.What with the great sights of the city and the way the Stones played it sounds a gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Too much hassle in getting a visa etc. after the gigs in Budapest and Brno which were great.Should have made the effort I guess but most places in Europe are so easy to plan your trip.Brno was very clean as was Budapest and Prague where we flew home from.Makes a pleasant change from all the rubbish on the streets of the London area!!!!!

Posted by: toto ()
Date: July 29, 2007 18:36

Anastacia screamed in vain - would they have known, if the band had opened their set with sftd ? Remember One plus One, Godards Pics and then think of Poutin-faced Russians, like someone put it earlier -
no judgement - just sittin' and thinking; pretty amazing though, inn't it ?

Posted by: Marco ()
Date: July 29, 2007 19:05

A few from Getty Images

Cheers, Marco

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 29, 2007 19:07

~Great pics thanks!!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 29, 2007 19:09

Will those of you who were there post a bit about how you feel the audience thinks of the lyrics for SFD?

Date: July 29, 2007 19:11

I was around St petersburg when i saw....did they scream??

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 29, 2007 19:46

Just posted the updated St Petersburg pages with pictures. Don't think the press was at the B-stage where a lot of fun happened, including Ronnie with a Russian army cap. Use the show link on the main iorr page: [iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Date: July 29, 2007 19:50

Great pic BV!!!

Re: St Petersburg setlist
Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: July 29, 2007 20:27

Gazza Wrote:
> No Expectations Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well keith broke "T & A" back out so can
> > "Connection" be far behind.
>
>
> he played T&A on the last US tour, so its not that
> radical a choice
>
> T&A was also rehearsed for the Euro leg. Theres no
> reports of them having tried 'Connection'

They also played Connection on the last US tour so despite it not being "rehearsed" for Europe it still could be in the cards. Lets wait and see!!!

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: July 29, 2007 20:29

I feel like I am a day late and a dollar short. At the Astoria hotel,consensus amongst many people was that this show is one of the top in a career of superlatives. Like BV, I had found the show in Bucharest to be an eye opener, but this was for me unexpected.

The Stones are a band driven by two guitars, Not in 20 years , IMO, has this been more apparent than this night in Russia. Keith plaqyed guitar with hardly any glizty show man like moves, serious, intent , and ON IT! Ronnie's leads were on spot, but as important for me, there were intricate new patterns thrown out here and there , little fills, like in JJF, that were short bursts and probably not even appreciated by many in the crowd. And anyone still lamenting the loss of Mick taylor would even have to concede that Ronnie's lead on MR at this show, while entirely different in style, could not have been surpassed.

Mick worked his ass of, and even in the cool night air had worked up a sweat by the third number. I was right up front in C1, and happy to hear the crowd behind me was a bit more rabid. Many where in my area never ever stood. I think that helped focus the group, they had something to prove, even the back up was animated and fierce, yet today in the hotel at lunch "eavesdroppers" overheard concerns expressed by back up that the show must not have been quality since the audience response was so tame. They could not have been more wrong.

In 32 years of following this grouop, this had to be one of the 5 best shows I have ever see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-30 16:22 by kahoosier.

Date: July 29, 2007 20:35

I can't remember which song it was, but it was one of the last ones. At the end of the song. Ronnie played so fast and so hot I have never seen anything like it. As he finished - eventually and unfortunately - he shaked his hand like it was on fire and he had to cool it down.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 29, 2007 20:37

That sounds just awesome, I have to admit grinning smiley
First 5 songs in Bucharest was the best Stones gig I've ever attended, makes me very envious to imagine it even better. Even more so with Ronnie obviously playing really very well...

Date: July 29, 2007 20:37

I want to see this show...it seems like it was the best so far!

Date: July 29, 2007 20:39

Unfiltered in St Petersburg... at 1am...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 29, 2007 20:40

Well, that was really one fabulous show in the most amazing setting. The highlight for me was Little T & A, which Keith introduced as one for some special ladies (or words to that effect). And his daughters were right there and looked thrilled and embarrassed at the same time when that happened. And he kept looking at them as he sang it with some real emotion. The crowd was unfortunately very subdued where I was on Ronnie's side at the front nearest the catwalk. They sat down the WHOLE time (and I have the pictures to prove it!) and a few people even left! I was the only person standing there and was being told to sit down by security and by members of the audience from the word go but I just ignored them. Even band members have apparently been commenting on the audience reaction (or lack thereof). I wish I could have spent the whole time at the rail - only at the B-stage and for Brown Sugar did that happen - but even the constant sidestepping of security could not spoil such a great show. Superb guitars in She's So Cold as well. Great Midnight Rambler - and so on. I read an interview with Ronnie a few months ago in which he said that he was looking forward to visiting the Hermitage - and I saw him and Jo in there when I was in there today. There was scarcely any merchandise - it is all stuck in customs in Moscow so all they had were 2,000 T-shirts printed up locally. I'm in an internet cafe and my time is running out - I'll try and post photos in a few days when I get home,.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 29, 2007 20:46

>> The highlight for me was Little T & A, which Keith introduced as one for some special ladies
(or words to that effect). And his daughters were right there <<

LoFL! yeah, it was Alex's birthday, right? and the girls' initials are T & A -
i suppose he didn't name them after the song on purpose (well, probably not on purpose!)
but that is the way it came out! :E

glad you had yourself a Time despite the overzealous security & under-demonstrative crowd, dear Glamourous Beast!
and thanks very much for the front-line reports :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-29 20:48 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Keith The Beast ()
Date: July 29, 2007 20:50

Damn, by reading the reports I very much hope that we get a soundboard version of this concert or at least one with a great sound!

Posted by: gstone ()
Date: July 29, 2007 21:06

Just got my visa from the Russian Embassy on Saturday, and it was too late... Shit happens... I wish they'd been a bit smoother, and more efficient. But it sure sounds like a show I would have loved to see. Glad for you guys who made it there. And I hope someone taped the show. Sounds like a bootleg one would want in ones collection.

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: July 29, 2007 21:45

It was my first show, I read the board about how great the boys can be, but they surpassed my expectations. It was a GREAT GREAT show, real MAGIC! Mick is GENIOUS! And I feel lucky I was there!
Yes at first the audience was cold, it was raining three times before the concert, and even I got tiered waiting for the beginning. Stones played 3 or 4 song before the crowd gone wild. People nearby danced on top of their chairs, shout and clapped their hands.
And yes, the Dvorcovaya Place was crowded at least 50+ thousands.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 29, 2007 21:55

bv Wrote:
---- Well Brno was very very clean too.

I reckon ya werent so much in Brno-Sever, the poor part. smiling smiley

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: July 30, 2007 03:10

Hope this will come out on dvd.

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: July 30, 2007 03:34

Thanks Beast for the setlist and review, I'm sure Keith (assuming the style of Engelbert) meant you and BRQ when he referred to some 'special ladies' in the house tonight.

How's the grub in the Inn? 'little red chicken in a basket?'

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: July 30, 2007 04:53

bv Wrote:
including Ronnie with a Russian army cap.

Was this the same hat from soldier hat girl from last month?

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: July 30, 2007 07:10

whoo whoo where's the bootleg, I am so ready to hear this show!

Safe trip home Beast - is London next for you? You lucky dog.

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: July 30, 2007 09:31

Great rewievs!! Thanks BV and other members.

The pattern of improvement towards the end of the tour seems obvious. Looks like we`re gonna get a hell of a R´R show a day after tomorrow in Helsinki! The oiled machine`s gonna do it again.. I´ve been witnessing the start of VL tour (The second gig to be exact), and the riffs, well, they were lame and pale. It was quite the opposite during BtB and 40L, the whole band was on fire.. I really can feel the excitement, and it´s growing..

Date: July 30, 2007 11:20

Absolutely not the same hat. These hats are very popular. People wear them in the streets. It just happened to end jup on stage, coming from the crowd at the B-stage.

Bjornulf

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 30, 2007 11:20

sarahunwin Wrote:
> whoo whoo where's the bootleg, I am so ready to
> hear this show!
>
> Safe trip home Beast - is London next for you?
> You lucky dog.

Hi Sarah. Nope, Copenhagen is next for her, as well as for BarRoomQueen and myself. And we can't w w w w w w w wait !! We're going for a long weekend, Friday through Monday.

Yep, the musicanship on this show sounds a little special, hope the bootleg does indeed emerge in due course.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 30, 2007 12:46

It looks like that this gig was the most exciting one in the whole European leg of the tour. Bloody hell I miss it. Instead I was drinking Russian Vodka in a summer cottage facing one of those thousands lakes of Finland... Anyway, I will skip the Helsinki show, too. They did such horrible autopilot last time they played that I promised I 'll never go to see the band there, and now it is even all seated. Huh.

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1812
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home