Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No interest in the Stones anymore?
Posted by: skyhawk ()
Date: July 18, 2007 17:15

I was wandering if somebody else out there has the same experience. When i tell somebody that i will go to see the Stones in Brno and Warsaw after i saw them this year in Werchter and Paris they say i'm crazy. Why should you visit the Stones more times for the same show, they ask. My answer always is: after listening to an new CD you don't throw it away after the first time you listened to it. Does anybody else out there has the same reactions?
Also i don't have any friends which are "crazy" enough to go to Czech or Poland to see them, so i go on my own.
If i see the reviews of the concerts in Eastern Europe (big crowd, good atmsophere) i think that in Western Europe the people are spoiled and they don't see it as an oppurtunity to see the greatest Rock and Roll band in the world.

Re: No interest in the Stones anymore?
Posted by: Dutch guy ()
Date: July 18, 2007 17:43

Stones rock!!! never enough times to see thees group. See a puppet show maybe, but not the stones, rock!

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 18, 2007 17:54

Yeah yeah, some people don't understand around me too.

People are used to the classic pop acts, same show every night, same songs everywhere. They don’t know what a Stones show is, and sometimes, I take time to explain that they play various songs from one show to another, that the atmosphere of each show is different and the journey with a friend to go see a show are part of the pleasure etc.

I noticed that people who saw them at least once are less critical than all the others.
My girlfriend knows about my passion since the beginning, and she is comprehensive, while I am being reasonable.
But concerning other people, colleagues etc, hey WTF, I do whatever I want with my time and money, and other people’s opinion on my musical tastes and my hobbies are not something of importance to me.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 18, 2007 19:44

Also i don't have any friends which are "crazy" enough to go to Czech or Poland to see them, so i go on my own.

Skyhawk - I go to many concerts alone for 2 reasons; first, I do not want someone who is only half interested talking to me throught the show, and second, I usually can get a better seat when buying one ticket.

I do this with movies too. My friends say "How could you go alone" and I say "Why would I want to go with anyone, I'm there for the show"

Posted by: glshanghai ()
Date: July 18, 2007 20:24

Why should you visit the Stones more times for the same show, they ask ..

the answer is: for the same reason I have sex with my g/f (wife/lover) again and again and again ... it's never the same than the last time - each time a new experience. it's quite that simple ..

Posted by: klypp ()
Date: July 18, 2007 20:24

I have this problem with friends all the time. I tell them to go and see the Stones and they say: "Hmmm, maybe we should..." Next day they come back and say "Hey, we bought tickets! But there was this other band, Cinderella and the Flying Gators... sounded more interesting and half the price, so... Stones? Maybe next time..."

Well, there won't be a next time. Because now they know, seeing a rock band isn't all that thrilling...

And there's nothing you can do about it. Simply because there is no way to describe a Stones show to someone who hasn't been there!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 19, 2007 01:00

Skyhawk:
"in western Europe the people are spoiled"

People in Scandinavia for sure aren`t spoiled.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 19, 2007 01:35

skyhawk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was wandering if somebody else out there has the
> same experience. When i tell somebody that i will
> go to see the Stones in Brno and Warsaw after i
> saw them this year in Werchter and Paris they say
> i'm crazy. Why should you visit the Stones more
> times for the same show, they ask. My answer
> always is: after listening to an new CD you don't
> throw it away after the first time you listened to
> it. Does anybody else out there has the same
> reactions?

My metaphor to justify it is to compare it to your favourite holiday resort/city and that you may only get the chance to go there every 3 years or so.

If you find a restaurant that you like, you're likely to go back to it again later on your holiday because it might be a while (if ever) before you get the chance to return. You may eat the same meal, or get something a bit different, but if the experience is pleasurable, its understandable to want to repeat it.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: July 19, 2007 02:37

Most people who even go to concerts go to about 2-3 concerts per year, so to them it may seem strange that someone goes back to see the same artist on the same tour. They assume that every artist plays the same setlist every night of the tour, so they may not see the value in going back to a repeat performance.

A lot of these same people will have no problem buying a dvd of a movie and watching it over and over, even though a movie has nothing different about it form viewing to viewing the way that even a concert that has the same setlist each night will.

For me, if the Stones used the exact same setlist each night, I'd still want to see them at least 2-3 times per tour. Because they make changes every night to the setlist, I've been going 7-12 times per tour since 1997, in hopes of getting songs I have never seen them play before and if not that, then at least songs I haven't got on that particular tour. I've seen 29 Stones concerts and have got at least 1 song I've never seen them play live before in 25 or 26 of those shows.

I think we've all been living on borrowed time with the Stones for the past 2 decades and as such, I think most of us here want to get as much as we can while we still can, before it's gone and we have regrets that we didn't take advantage of it while we could.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: July 19, 2007 03:37

... some are sicker than others.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 19, 2007 16:51

Still have an interest in the Stones,but not an obsession.Theres more important things out there.Its called getting a life.....

Posted by: monkeyman07 ()
Date: July 19, 2007 22:05

My mom went to Shakira at the palacio de los deportes in mexico city , now she came again to the autodromo hermanos rodriguez and i said to my mom , why dont you go , she said "i've already seen her , why another time??"
Thats what almost all people think.
I am crazy and my dad too , and we're going to london , travleing from here.
My mom says "why youre going again , you've already go to mexico city on 1995 , the same in 2006 , and vegas in 2006 , its enough for you!!"
But , hey , this is the greatest rocknroll band in the world , not sexy dancers with bad " co-written songs" like shakira°!°!

wipeacdc@hotmail.com
never too old or young to rocknroll!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-19 22:05 by monkeyman07.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 19, 2007 23:18

My friends at work wondered why I wasn't interested in Rod Stewart or Genesis or the Police at Twickenham this year - after all, I went to the rock concert at Twickenham last year, didn't I?

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: July 30, 2007 01:13

Green Lady Wrote:
> My friends at work wondered why I wasn't
> interested in Rod Stewart or Genesis or the Police
> at Twickenham this year - after all, I went to the
> rock concert at Twickenham last year, didn't I?

Well, you have gone to the Rod Stewart concert, he doing great this tour.

Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: July 30, 2007 01:43

"You cant step in to the same river twice" said tousands of years ago, but still up to date. Was it Aristoteles,Iam wont look it up. Nelson can be serious-got that! Why Ill see the boys twice this time its just beacuse I got I felling,strong felling,dosent matter what bv says. this is the final.Jagger is 64 and hes stones and cant do stadium after this ABB. What would the option be?
slow arena or club gigs,yeah might work for the others but not for mick at 65+.Face the fact. But I love to see the basic blues without the strutting and a lots of harm.

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: July 30, 2007 09:42

noughties Wrote:
> Skyhawk:
> "in western Europe the people are spoiled"
>
> People in Scandinavia for sure aren`t spoiled.

So true.
There has been several articles of the Stones in Finnish magazines and newspapers. All of them respectful and positive.
And the stadium gig has sold very well, I suppose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-30 09:42 by wesley.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: July 30, 2007 10:46

For me it's the first time I don't see them on tour.
Usually I see them 2-4x each tour. But the fact that they hardly play any ABB songs anymore (one each gig....), hardly challenge any interesting 'new' old songs, the continuing musically decline of Keith and Ronne, the same old warhorses over and over again in no new arragnements means 'enough is enough' for me.
Saw Lucinda Williams, Blondie, Motorhead, Dylan instead this year and was impressed with all of them.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 30, 2007 23:04

To me, it seems that at the start we were all worried about Ronnie (he didn't look so hot at Giants Stadium) but he's really pulled it together. Playing superb now. Perhaps he's had to - Keef is not all there after all.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 30, 2007 23:06

with the stones, THe more you see them, the more you want to see them again. I ws lukcy enough to catch them three times, looks like that might be it.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: July 31, 2007 00:22

tomcat2006 Wrote:
> To me, it seems that at the start we were all
> worried about Ronnie (he didn't look so hot at
> Giants Stadium) but he's really pulled it
> together. Playing superb now. Perhaps he's had to
> - Keef is not all there after all.

Looked (& sounded) great in Oakland and LA last November.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 31, 2007 01:30

noughties Wrote:
> Skyhawk:
> "in western Europe the people are spoiled"
>
> People in Scandinavia for sure aren`t spoiled.

After Cold War ended; I would state Scandinavia is NORTHERN Europe.

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: July 31, 2007 02:40

Baboon Bro Wrote:

>
> After Cold War ended; I would state Scandinavia is
> NORTHERN Europe.

What is that supposed to mean?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home