Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Bucharest show reports and setlists
Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: July 18, 2007 11:14

Romanian TV video reports :

[www.realitatea.net]

[www.protv.ro]

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 18, 2007 11:19

I'm kinda surprised that they don't play Angie in front of these "virgin" crowds. It's one of their classics, and casual concertgoers are always pleased to hear it.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 18, 2007 11:28

There is a heatwave in Romania and South-east Europe, including Hungary. Two people died on the streets yesterday in Romaia because of the heat. The temperature daytime in Buchurest show day reached 40 C in the shade. As the Charlatans were on they ran out of water and coca cola at the show stands and people certainly got dehydrated massively when security took away water and they could not supply any water inside. The queues for drinks were massive, and nobody queued for merchandise, for wanetr and drinks only. Several fans passed out in the middle of the field due to the heat, not in front of the stage, but at random areas on the field. By midnight the temperature was still +32 in Bucharest. The organizers did a great job, and as the heatwave was not warned until the day before the show, they might be exused, but getting tons of water on short notice should not be that hard.

So before anyone start complaining about short set list etc. Read the reports from those who were there. To be honest, for me it does not make sense to review a show from looking at the set list. May be a personal view from your personal taste. But then again if you were not there, then it is not interesting. The Stones play their greatest hits because that is what they are famous for. This was their first show in Romania in 45 years i.e. first time in history, and the fans did not come to have two hours of obscure blues. They came for the famous Stones. And that is what they got.

Bjornulf

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 18, 2007 11:29

I do wish people would stop moaning and complaining about the Stones set lists, they sing these songs for the majority of the crowd not the minority. People go to see them to hear all the best known numbers, they can't really win can they, is they play lesser known songs that we all love then the majority of the audience wouldn't be able to join in and it would be quite a dull concert.

Try to imagine going to a gig to see a group who play all their not so well known songs, i know that I for one would not be jumping around and singing along, this is what makes a Stones concert so please STOP MOANING and just enjoy what you see.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 18, 2007 11:45

pgarof Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
<<< I do wish people would stop moaning and complaining about the Stones set lists, they sing these songs for the majority of the crowd not the minority. People go to see them to hear all the best known numbers, they can't really win can they, is they play lesser known songs that we all love then the majority of the audience wouldn't be able to join in and it would be quite a dull concert >>>

I fully agree

<<< Try to imagine going to a gig to see a group who play all their not so well known songs, i know that I for one would not be jumping around and singing along, this is what makes a Stones concert so please STOP MOANING and just enjoy what you
see >>>

Again, I fully agree, and in fact the setlist endorses my decision to have given this show a miss. I absolutely expected them to come up with a setlist like this for this particular audience/country, which lets face it ... was perfect for Romananians/Romania, but after having already seen several shows so far on this leg of the tour - would not have held a lot for me. Similarly, I'm deliberately missing Budapest and Brno for the same reasons, I'm expecting pretty much the same setlists there.

But I'm NOT MOANING, that's the point !! If I go, I enjoy. If I don't, I don't sit at home and bitch about what they're playing !!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-18 12:21 by paulywaul.

Date: July 18, 2007 11:59

To be honest, I get truely OFFENDED when people are sitting on their PC's some remote place, having seen the Stones many times in the past, read the set list, and complain about a "boring" set list.

Especially when they visit a brand new market, a place when a maximum of 1%, probably max 0,1% of the fans coming, have ever seen the Stones live before.

It is a privilege to see the Stones live. It is a privilege to hear JJF, BS, SAT, CAG, SMU, SFTD, RJ, MR, PIB, SILVER and all these other great songs. And it would be a true offense to the crowd if they did NOT play these songs. I can tell from every time I see they bring out rarer songs, just because they want to ry them out on new crowds at times. They listen with interest, but then I know they loose one of the other songs, because believe it or not, the show can have 18 or 19 songs max normally, and especially when it is +40C on show day.

Also, as we all know, the more they play a song the better it works. So why on earth should they experiment with rare songs when they know the winning formula? Give me just one reason. Not for you, but for the local crowd.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Monitor_R ()
Date: July 18, 2007 12:02

@BV
Your Right ! I was there and sow some in the crowd passing away.
Organisation in was poor in supplying with liquids, considering that people spend 4-5 hours in the sun and heat (ovet 40 Celsius) waiting for their idols.

Show was great and audience enjoyed every song !

Some pisc:

Date: July 18, 2007 12:03

By the way I would much rather write show reports than defend the set list. But as I said these comments do offend, not just me, but many others. That's why I will never ever let these comments be uncommented... To those who don't like the set list. Read a book. Play a record. Whatever. Wherever. That way I will have more time to write reports. Thank you.

Bjornulf

Date: July 18, 2007 12:05

@BV
Your Right ! I was there and sow some in the crowd passing away.
Organisation in was poor in supplying with liquids, considering that people spend 4-5 hours in the sun and heat (ovet 40 Celsius) waiting for their idols.

Show was great and audience enjoyed every song !

Some pisc:

Also some videos at:

[www.realitatea.net]

and on youtube at:
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

FANTASTIC SHOW !

Re: Bucharest reports
Date: July 18, 2007 12:13

Sorry for the posts, but had problems uploading the pics and the video links.
If ADMIN can fix and put everything in one post I would be grateful.

Video-links work in first post.

Regards All

Monitor_R

Posted by: gstone ()
Date: July 18, 2007 12:19

bv Wrote:
> By the way I would much rather write show reports
> than defend the set list. But as I said these
> comments do offend, not just me, but many others.
> That's why I will never ever let these comments be
> uncommented... To those who don't like the set
> list. Read a book. Play a record. Whatever.
> Wherever. That way I will have more time to write
> reports. Thank you.

Good! This whining by people who have not even been close to the show they're bashing, based on set lists, has annoyed several of us. Including me. You really have to be there! To hear and see the great versions, the new interpretarions, Keith and Ronnie exploring 40 year old songs - doing new things. Catch the great atmosphere! See the joy they give to people! See the joy in the boys' faces. When they're really happy with a crowd or a version, it shows. And it's an extra bonus seing four men in their sixties becone excited like kids at Christmas because they've pleased a huge crowd who was actually present. And it really makes me angry reading the comments, often well written, but with a content that you just can't identify with. You sit there and read the day after the show - or even later - and you see what these guys have written, during the show. You know they have not been at the show, and it makes you think: Would these ghentlemen also review a film they did not see, based on the list of actors? Would the same gentlemen review a restaurant, based on the menu? Without tasting the courses? It really is a parallell, and it makes me wonder: What's your motive? Don't you see how totally meningless your whining is? (I've been to all but 3 shows this summer, btw.)

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 18, 2007 12:35

gstone Wrote:
> bv Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > By the way I would much rather write show
> reports
> > than defend the set list. But as I said these
> > comments do offend, not just me, but many
> others.
> > That's why I will never ever let these comments
> be
> > uncommented... To those who don't like the set
> > list. Read a book. Play a record. Whatever.
> > Wherever. That way I will have more time to
> write
> > reports. Thank you.
>
>
> Good! This whining by people who have not even
> been close to the show they're bashing, based on
> set lists, has annoyed several of us. Including
> me. You really have to be there! To hear and see
> the great versions, the new interpretarions, Keith
> and Ronnie exploring 40 year old songs - doing new
> things. Catch the great atmosphere! See the joy
> they give to people! See the joy in the boys'
> faces. When they're really happy with a crowd or a
> version, it shows. And it's an extra bonus seing
> four men in their sixties becone excited like kids
> at Christmas because they've pleased a huge crowd
> who was actually present. And it really makes me
> angry reading the comments, often well written,
> but with a content that you just can't identify
> with. You sit there and read the day after the
> show - or even later - and you see what these guys
> have written, during the show. You know they have
> not been at the show, and it makes you think:
> Would these ghentlemen also review a film they did
> not see, based on the list of actors? Would the
> same gentlemen review a restaurant, based on the
> menu? Without tasting the courses? It really is a
> parallell, and it makes me wonder: What's your
> motive? Don't you see how totally meningless your
> whining is? (I've been to all but 3 shows this
> summer, btw.)

<<< You really have to be there! To hear and see the great versions, the new interpretarions, Keith and Ronnie exploring 40 year old songs - doing new things >>>

YES, ABSOLUTELY !! I've seen nine shows so far, and sure ... I've heard nine versions of this and nine versions of that by now, but boring ? NO WAY, because as you say ... the guitarists are constantly exploring new things within those songs and once in a while you really do catch some EXTRAORDINARY versions of these great great 40 year old songs. And as BV said in any case, these days it is a PRIVILEGE to see this band live. Throw into the equation the fact that they've GOT to gear their setlists to their audiences/markets (which in this case involves audiences that by large have NEVER seen them and NEW markets), and I just completely fail to see what there is to moan about. In my opinion ... NOTHING whatsoever !!

Posted by: grizzlybear ()
Date: July 18, 2007 15:16

Good morning everybody
What a night... happily ended by 2 o'clock in a nice restaurant around the stadium, tryin' to save the poor fans of starvation and thirst. I think on ten-twelve tables you could hear five languages being' speaked, everybody checking the concert photos on their mobile phones...

Nice post Monitor_R, nice pics ( "pisc :-))) ") and nice youtube link... band intro mostly Romanian...

Just a ( not so good ) pic of the stadium from the FOS , one hour before SMU

Beautiful crowd and excellent venue.

Posted by: joelle ()
Date: July 18, 2007 15:26

A press cover (in English)
[english.hotnews.ro]

Rolling Stones worked their magic in Bucharest

The National "Lia Manoliu" Stadium in Bucharest hosted the show of the year (some call it the show of the century) on Tuesday night: some 60,000 fans gathered to see rock legend Mick Jagger and his Rolling Stones rocking the stage. And they did rock.
"The Stones shown why they are an industry larger by a mile than many businesses in Romania: pure show, crystal sound and four rockers who seem to only get better as time goes by, like a bottle of fine wine", a Hotnews.ro editor comments.

After Romanian legendary band Iris (as old as the Stones) and The Charlatans warmed up the public, Mick Jagger made the crowd go wild by beginning the show with "Start me up".

With Jagger making jokes in Romanian, with Keith still wearing his half of smile and a joint stuck in the corner of his mouth, a flash-jumping Ronnie Wood and the perfect percussion of Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones delivered exactly what the promised - A Bigger Bang.

Unfortunately, the concert took place in Romania... and that always spells trouble. The bottles of water and refreshments were confiscated at the entrance "for security reasons", although inside there were exactly the same type of plastic bottles.

That wouldn't have bothered anyone, but two of the four spots selling water ran out of merchandise around 19:00 (the concert ended around 23:30) and speculators begun selling water at five-six and even ten times the price.

The access to the stadium was also horrid, 200 meters taking about one hour to cross. At the exit, participants found that no public transport was made available, as it happens after the elections or other official events. But, as everyone admitted, it was all worth it.

HotNews.ro, Jul 18, 2007

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 18, 2007 15:30

Nice pix. Sorry to hear about the problems with the heat. Delighted for the Romanian fans that they got to see the Stones after all these years. Not a country where one would have ever expected them to play until this tour.

Posted by: stonesrick ()
Date: July 18, 2007 15:30

Agree 100% bv - can we not set up a firewall on the site that automatically prohibits any talk of setlists.

I's all about the vibe, the emotions, the feelings, the attitude of the band and the audiance, the occasion, the just being there rather than somewhere else you would rather not be. It's about the experience and sharing that with your friends and family and strangers who are connected to you by this unique bond.

If they were to perform cover versions of the Spice Girls hits, it would still be an amazing experience, because when all's been said and done they are the BEST rock n roll band that will ever grace this planet...The Rolling Stones!

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 18, 2007 15:50

doesnt need to be Spice Girls, Some Girls would do...

Date: July 18, 2007 16:06

Great Idea Martin B...

Some girls they're so pure
Some girls so corrupt
Some girls give me children
I only made love to her once

So gimme all your money
Give me all your gold
Let's go back to Zuma beach
I'll give you half of everything I own

Did the Beatles produced lyrics as cool as these?

Posted by: gstone ()
Date: July 18, 2007 16:15

No, Stonesrick, they did not.

Posted by: klypp ()
Date: July 18, 2007 16:22

stonesrick Wrote:
> Did the Beatles produced lyrics as cool as these?

Close enough, when Lennon was let out of the cage...
Girl, comes to my mind...

Date: July 18, 2007 16:27

yeah, check "Wild Honey Pie"

Date: July 18, 2007 16:40

I suppose I'm being devils advocate here but my point is that I don't think that Jagger/Richards get the recognition they deserve for their outstanding song writing ability as for example Lennon/McCartney do!

Apologies for going off track from the title of the thread

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 18, 2007 17:04

Hey guys,

Sorry to Gazza, it was hard texting in the setlist yesterday, it was really packed where I was and everyone was shouting and cheering.

Some words have already been said about the heat and how bad it is that there was not enough water. Well, I have to add that some people were also simply stupid. With temps of around 40 and 5 hours to go till the Stones it's simply not a good idea to get shitfaced in the open sun. And yet this is what many did. Drinking masses of beer and then collapsing, no wonder... Today it's even hotter, by the way - almost unbearable.

After the first 4 songs I wrote that it is the best gig I have ever seen. For the first 4 songs this was true. The sounds was perfect, the playing very good, the crowd enthusiastic. The guitars were really raw and rough, the playing very tight and they obviously had fun playing. Some mistakes again, of course (beginning of LSTNT, parts of Rocks Off) but not as noticeable as in Belgrade.

But well, the first part of the show is the best one and it was a bit of a letdown for me to me when I realize we would get the 18 song setlist. About the setlist - I don't understand why they couldn't put in another ballad-warhorse before YCAGWYW? Wild Horses or Angie would work perfect. Or Streets Of Love, anything, basically. I feel that they always lose the crowd a bit on YCAGWYW, towards the end anyway and Ronnie has decided that he rather jumps around strangling the guitar instead of playing a nice solo. Let's put CYHMK at that spot again...

And they definitely should change the numbers on the b-stage around a bit. I'm not asking for a lot, but come on guys...And I seriously would want to have a show without Sympathy (it is far too long, far too boring without proper guitars) and Brown Sugar (as Keith is totally unable to start the song).

On the postitive side: Rambler, Paint it Black, Rough Justice, Silver,IORR, Rocks Off, SMU, LSTNT, JJF were just excellent. Really loved it!

And I know that Ronnie loves the crowd, but I'd rather have him playing the guitar. Hopefully he is not falling back into his Licks Tour behaviour. Wow, that's a lot of moaning now, no wonder - it is so incredibly hot here, that has some influence on the mood winking smiley

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-18 17:08 by Lorenz.

Posted by: klypp ()
Date: July 18, 2007 17:13

Thanks Bjornulf for what you said about setlist! It felt so good reading it, especially when it came from you! Thanks again!!!!

Now I see that learning to read must be much more difficult than learning to write....

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 18, 2007 17:17

Thank you, Lorenz!

Date: July 18, 2007 17:22

No problem. The place was absolutely packed, by the way.

Date: July 18, 2007 17:37

bv Wrote:
Stones play their greatest hits
> because that is what they are famous for. This was
> their first show in Romania in 45 years i.e. first
> time in history, and the fans did not come to have
> two hours of obscure blues. They came for the
> famous Stones. And that is what they got.

The Stones have like 400 songs or so, right? Out of those 400 songs perhaps 20 songs are obscure blues songs. There are countless possibilites of great songs to play that are not obscure blues songs. And the crowd would still love it.

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 18, 2007 19:01

Lorenz Wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Sorry to Gazza, it was hard texting in the setlist
> yesterday, it was really packed where I was and
> everyone was shouting and cheering.
>

no apology necessary. You did great,.

Date: July 18, 2007 19:38

Lorenz Wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Sorry to Gazza, it was hard texting in the setlist
> yesterday, it was really packed where I was and
> everyone was shouting and cheering.
>
> Some words have already been said about the heat
> and how bad it is that there was not enough water.
> Well, I have to add that some people were also
> simply stupid. With temps of around 40 and 5 hours
> to go till the Stones it's simply not a good idea
> to get shitfaced in the open sun. And yet this is
> what many did. Drinking masses of beer and then
> collapsing, no wonder... Today it's even hotter,
> by the way - almost unbearable.
>
> After the first 4 songs I wrote that it is the
> best gig I have ever seen. For the first 4 songs
> this was true. The sounds was perfect, the playing
> very good, the crowd enthusiastic. The guitars
> were really raw and rough, the playing very tight
> and they obviously had fun playing. Some mistakes
> again, of course (beginning of LSTNT, parts of
> Rocks Off) but not as noticeable as in Belgrade.
>
> But well, the first part of the show is the best
> one and it was a bit of a letdown for me to me
> when I realize we would get the 18 song setlist.
> About the setlist - I don't understand why they
> couldn't put in another ballad-warhorse before
> YCAGWYW? Wild Horses or Angie would work perfect.
> Or Streets Of Love, anything, basically. I feel
> that they always lose the crowd a bit on YCAGWYW,
> towards the end anyway and Ronnie has decided that
> he rather jumps around strangling the guitar
> instead of playing a nice solo. Let's put CYHMK at
> that spot again...
>
> And they definitely should change the numbers on
> the b-stage around a bit. I'm not asking for a
> lot, but come on guys...And I seriously would want
> to have a show without Sympathy (it is far too
> long, far too boring without proper guitars) and
> Brown Sugar (as Keith is totally unable to start
> the song).
>
> On the postitive side: Rambler, Paint it Black,
> Rough Justice, Silver,IORR, Rocks Off, SMU, LSTNT,
> JJF were just excellent. Really loved it!
>
> And I know that Ronnie loves the crowd, but I'd
> rather have him playing the guitar. Hopefully he
> is not falling back into his Licks Tour behaviour.
> Wow, that's a lot of moaning now, no wonder - it
> is so incredibly hot here, that has some influence
> on the mood winking smiley

Now the evening is coming and Bucharest becomes a nice place to party which has the best influence on the mood smiling smiley
Lorenz, did you notice that Mick started Rocks Off with the second verse; could it be a reason to ban the song because Mick is unable to start it correctly ?
Keith started Brown Sugar with the riff on the wrong fret, anyway it was slightly better than in Belgrade; you see, this young guy is making real progress.
Brown Sugar was a celebration for the crowd.
Sympathy ? I would love to listen to Sympathy in Sankt Petersburg !!!

Thank you for being here...have a great time in Budapest...

Posted by: glshanghai ()
Date: July 18, 2007 20:16

Sympathy ? I would love to listen to Sympathy in Sankt Petersburg !!!

right, grizzlybear !!!
there's no better place in the world to play that song - I admire all those who have the chance to attend that show !

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1664
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home