Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Somehow topic: Jimi Hendrix
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 1, 2008 07:01

Good in the first year although Chas knowingly involved him in business matters not to Jimi's advantage. Gradually, Jimi felt Chas was not the producer for the kind of music that most interested Jimi. Chas became wealthy thanks to Jimi and was able to build a very successful career with Slade and other business interests. I believe he always felt certain regrets regarding some of the business traps that made Hendrix so unhappy.

A few words to hint at a very complicated situation. Which is one reason I have gradually learned to root for the underdog.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: August 1, 2008 12:13

stonesrule, I'm most impressed, that you really got to know Hendrix in person. In a way, many of us think they "know" him, and if you pick the right sources (like I hope I did, among many misleading ones) you actually get a clear quite picture of him,I think, as a lovely, sometimes shy, slightly withdrawn caracter who "just" wanted to play his music and have fun. Simple as that. The real complexity of his character didn't come out as words - maybe not even in his thoughts. It came out in the music.

One source I can strongly recommend to people interested in Jimi's music is "Crosstown Traffic" by Charles Shaar Murray. As for the person, I think there are many sufficient descriptions of the "outer" person of Jimi Hendrix. What I find misleading sometimes, though, is that many people try to put a certain perspective on him, like "he wanted to get into Jazz", "he wanted to get political" and so on. My picture of him his, that he wanted to do all of that "for a minute", just like hungry souls do. But I don't think he was a seasoned enough person already to ensure a real focus with these ideas. To me it seems a comforting thought to view Jimi just as a young man with a strong talent. And not the "extraterrestrial" shit, which tells you more about people's own minds and less about Hendrix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-02 19:31 by Greenblues.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 2, 2008 03:24

Stonesrule, I don't think you're arguementative at all, really and you may not like the phrase " turned to" but no one forced Jimi to take the drugs, although I do understand why he sought refuge in them; Jimi spoke of " confusion" in his songs, which I'm sure he experienced a lot of. I too have read bios of Hendrix and so I am not unfamiliar with his story. So, you do not believe he took drugs as an escape mechanism? I sure don't think he did it to improve his music. I'm not sure the decision involved a whole lot of thought!! I do believe it was an awful accident, and not as some said at the time, a suicide. Since his death, the majority of fans have come to accept his death as a tragic ending to a brilliant, sensitive artist.

Date: August 2, 2008 09:31

Drugs for many of the "lads" then were about fun...until that seemed to gradually get out of hand. The travel schedule for The Experience was intense; they worked far too much and too hard with little sleep. Jimi, Mitch and Noel soon began to depend on uppers and downers to get through thieir fly around the world schedule with very little time off.

Towards the end, drugs were to some degree an escape for Jimi but he was not stoned out of his brain most of the day or night. He didn't shoot up. He didn't go into a panic if they weren't around. The gathering crowd of stalkers, wannabes and so-called friends brought in the drugs. Sometimes he took them; sometimes he tossed them.

Jimi died because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong person, a basically deranged, obsessive chick who, among other things,took several hours to call am abulance.

The most amazing aspect of Jimi is that he created so much great music in such a short time. He died only too aware that all he was to most of his inner circle was a "commodity."

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 2, 2008 19:40

Yes, I agree totally. I never implied he bought the drugs or procured the stuff for himself because as I said, I've read a lot of what you said about the hanger-ons! They were leeches! And I never could understand why the " girlfriend" didn't call for an ambulance immediately. My guess is she was thinking only of herself and how the situation might impact her! Ridiculous! I always felt he could have been saved. Heart breaking really.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: August 2, 2008 20:43

He got hyped after his death because of his death. A great musician no doubt, but no musician should get a hype like this, it has nothing to do with the music. See Elvis, who was a great singer but not ruler of the universe.. Robert Johnson who was definetely overcredited, people saying he 'invented' blues. He was just attractive because he was myserious. That's what the big public wants to hear. People love big legends, one person to worship, a saint.. But real music lovers will appreciate all their music, AND appreciate beyond that, because there's ENDLESS beautiful music being made.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 2, 2008 23:30

For me I see Hendrix in a different light. I consider him the best rock guitarist ever, I've never seen him but listened to many of his shows. No, I do not worship or drule over him, but I truly appreciate his talents and skills.

Hendrix took on the rock genre and tore a hole in it. There were many great musicians in his company as well, but IMO, he was a couple steps ahead. His playing was fluid and spontaneous, whether he was performing in concert hall or a makeshift gym he could command an audience.

Another thing that scores points with me is that he played at almost every festival in the late 60's. He was there and could jam.

Date: August 3, 2008 00:02

Thank you King Snake! ENDLESS BEAUTIFUL MUSIC being made. Couldn't agree more.
I cannot imagine a world without music.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 3, 2008 02:12

Should be mentioned that the "basically deranged,obsessive chick,...,took several
hours to call an ambulance"
stonesrule
came from and committed suicide in
my hometown,think it was in the mid-nineties.

In the late eighties I got her phonenumber and her adress,I decided to try to talk
to her.

Thankfully ,I never did.

I will always enjoy the music of Jimi Hendrix.

Date: August 3, 2008 02:34

stonesrule
Drugs for many of the "lads" then were about fun...until that seemed to gradually get out of hand. The travel schedule for The Experience was intense; they worked far too much and too hard with little sleep. Jimi, Mitch and Noel soon began to depend on uppers and downers to get through thieir fly around the world schedule with very little time off.

Towards the end, drugs were to some degree an escape for Jimi but he was not stoned out of his brain most of the day or night. He didn't shoot up. He didn't go into a panic if they weren't around. The gathering crowd of stalkers, wannabes and so-called friends brought in the drugs. Sometimes he took them; sometimes he tossed them.

Jimi died because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong person, a basically deranged, obsessive chick who, among other things,took several hours to call am abulance.

The most amazing aspect of Jimi is that he created so much great music in such a short time. He died only too aware that all he was to most of his inner circle was a "commodity."

Sorry, stonesrule,but it was my fault,this quoting technique is driving me mad,
hope it´s getting clear by this,what I´m referring to in my last post:
you mention "the chick", I tried to explain where she came from and what
happened to her,should have used "preview" as well...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 3, 2008 12:49

Jimi died because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong person, a basically deranged, obsessive chick who, among other things,took several hours to call am abulance. [stonesrule]

Stonesrule,is this "chik" still alive?

Date: August 3, 2008 14:08

OK , OK ,shame on me ,I caused that confusion with my troublequoting stonesrule.

Third,and hopefully last attempt concerning "the chick",without knowing nothing
what happened or did not happen when Jimi died.

To correct myself I got in the beginning ( not in the end ) of the eighties her adress and the phonenumber as she came from and for reasons I don´t know then
lived again in my hometown.
I shortly thought to get in contact with her to have a talk,but I´m glad
I never did.

In the middle of the nineties if I´m getting it right I read in an article
that she had committed suicide.

I will always enjoy Jimi´s music

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home