Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Belgrade show reports
Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: July 16, 2007 09:57

best satisfaction i have heard since chicago '05 and san diego '05. too bad there are no video screens so those of us up front can actually see the B stage...

Posted by: roby ()
Date: July 16, 2007 11:26

Thanks for this excellent review Lorentz. You have one's feet on the ground !

I blew a fifty amp fuse
Posted by: BikeDude ()
Date: July 16, 2007 11:49

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> area, and also the anti-riot groups with helmets
> and full package, but at the same time you know
> this will not be a mess in fact everything went
> very smooth.

First of all: This was (AFAIK) my ninth concert with 'the boys' (some of whom are twice my age) and I believe it was the best of the bunch. I really enjoyed hearing Heartbreaker performed live as well as All Down The Line. As Keith got ready to sing, I yelled out "HAPPY!" as loud as I could, but instead he played "You've Got The Silver" which I must admit was a better choice and I bow to his wisdom. In short, I really enjoyed "my" two hours with the Stones. The tickets were too cheap considering what was on offer! smiling smiley

Now... That said...

The police were crap. There, I said it. As the audience from P1L flowed out, we were forced through this narrow opening in the fence. Finally the push was so strong that someone simply said "come on, let us push this thing down" and they did... Nearly hitting me in the process. The police were six meters away, completely oblivious to the situation. They could've removed the fence at the time the fireworks started, but chose to not lift a finger. Idiots.

Apparently giving someone a machine gun and a nightstick doesn't automatically do anything for that person's brain capacity. I shouldn't be surprised of course, but I wish Stones could have their own guys overrule some of the local boys.

Rune

Posted by: Gerda ()
Date: July 16, 2007 12:53

Thanks for the review, Lorenz! Just got back to Vienna safe and now I have to wait 5 more days until Budapest. But I hope you all have a good ride to Bukarest and a great time at what might become a historic concert! I don´t quite agree with you what you said in your review about Ronnie. As you might know, we were first row on his (Ronnies) side, and I think he was excellent, not only helping Keith out quite a few times but also a he is a great musician AND a nice person. In conclusion, I´m still amazed about the great vibes between the crowd and the band at this concert...WOW! Plus: They played Heartbreaker!It was in the air somehow... When the warm-up acts already got people go crazy, I felt this would become a special night - and so it did!
P.S.: I was a bit frustrated when Ronnie twice threw his pics in our direction and it always landed right at the feet of the same security guy - and he just kept them to himself instead of throwing them into the crowd again. But no complaints here, maybe that´s the rule, or maybe this was his personal reward for standing with his back to the stage for 8 hours.

Posted by: Jon Lasa ()
Date: July 16, 2007 13:27

Hi all.

Thank you for the reviews to everybody in Belgrade show.
Telecaster and arizojp´s pics are lovely. Cheers!

Posted by: donvito27 ()
Date: July 16, 2007 13:36

well the show was something special..cant find the right words, cant get to my senses..im still in shock! this was my 8 th show, first i saw them 11 years ago and i most say that this one in Belgrade was one of the best i saw if not the best...there was so much positive energy between band and the crowd!lot of young people especially in the first rows..that was surprise also..a few mistakes have been made but all in all who cares, cause the Stones are still the biggest band ever and they"re gonna stay in that way..im now slowlly comin back to normal life, it will take me a long long time but without Stones that would take me even longer! later on i will post some great pictures that i took if thats ok with you guys...D.

Posted by: Dobril ()
Date: July 16, 2007 14:23

grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

Date: July 16, 2007 16:20

Here's a video of "All Down The Line" from the Belgrade show. I love how Mick and Keith congratulate each other in the end of the song:

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 16, 2007 16:47

>> a video of "All Down The Line" <<

smile: Mick's trying to get Keith to end the number but Keith's still workin workin yeah
keep the motor running, gentlemen :E

Posted by: Borna ()
Date: July 16, 2007 18:57

it was the greatest Rolling Stones concert I've seen!
and I got the guitar pick from Keith! :-)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 16, 2007 20:52

very cool for you Borna! :E

Posted by: Dobril ()
Date: July 16, 2007 20:54

I am very happy for Borna too tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 16, 2007 21:27

Motor is really running now !

sc uk

Posted by: 61' telecaster ()
Date: July 17, 2007 01:21

Borna Wrote:
> it was the greatest Rolling Stones concert I've
> seen!
> and I got the guitar pick from Keith! :-)

You lucky bastard smiling smiley. Good to hear you had good time and precious souvenir.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: July 17, 2007 03:41

This was my second Stones show(the first one being last year's second gig in London) and The Stones managed to exceed all of my expectations which were immensely high in the first place.Before ABB tour I had dreamed about seeing The Rolling Stones for nearly a decade.At that time I simply wasn't able to see The Stones due to various reasons.However, this tour changed all of that.First I managed to see them on their homeground,in London(which was something I could not forsee even in my wildest dreams) and now I finally got to see them in my own country which was something us ,Serbian fans had dreamed about for ages, ever since the band was founded.
Unlike the London show where I had really bad seats,this time I got FOS area tickets and managed to come fairly close to the stage.While observing the stage before the show began I felt my heart pounding fast.I got goosebumps just by thinking about the fact that soon I would be able to see my heros show up on stage and that I would be able to see them clearly.This time they wouldn't be just faraway spots like in London.
When they finally hit the stage everything was just like what my childhood fantasies about their shows had been like.The band was on fire.I was on Ronnie's side and he looked great tonight and played a wonderful solo during Start me up.Mick was amazing to watch.The guy seemed unreal.As soon as the show took off it seemed that all eyes were on him and rightfully so.Charlie was amazing too see behind his drum kit.His drumming is the essence of The Stones' tightness.
You got me rocking was even hotter than Start me Up.It's a song that seems to have been made especially for live performance.It really got the crowd going.I just had to sing every single word of it.Keith made couple of mistakes during the song but they were harmless and the crowd didn't took much notice anyway.
All down the line and Heartbreaker were nice surprises considering that an all warhorses show had been excpected since this was The Stones' first show in the country.I especially loved the latter,Alll down the line sounding a bit messy to me(nevertheless it was great).Chuck did an awesome job on keyboards during Heartbreaker and Mick's vocals were top-notch.At one moment I felt as if I was transported to the shiniest realms of heaven.
You can't always get what you want followed and it was of course yet another highlight with a wonderful singalong.
Midnight Rambler was more than just a blues jam, it was magical, especially Ronnie's soloing near the end.He was absolutely on fire tonight.
I'll go crazy was an excellent tribute to the great master of funk and soul, embellished by heavenly vocals by beautiful Lisa Fisher(as Jagger put it:"Prelepa Liza Fiser").
Tumbling Dice was the key moment of the show for me because it took me to heights I deemed unreachable.
Keith's set was wonderful and very emotional with the crowd chanting his name over and over again.You could see that he was touched by it.You got the silver was a beautiful performance, especialy Ronnie's slide guitar work.
I felt like I was in trance during the rest of the show.The band totally blew me away.I really can't say which of the remaining songs made the best impression.Miss you got me dancing like crazy,Satisfaction made everyone scream their lungs out and Honky Tonk Women reminded me of how I had disovered the band.Sympathy for the devil sounded just devilish with everything turning into red and Mick becoming Lucifer himself for several minutes.The ending trio of songs was earth-shattering.Paint it Black,as dark as always,Jumping Jack Flash reminding us why The Stones are above everyone in the business and Brown Sugar as a perfect ending to what wasn't just a concert but an embodiment of freedom and faith in humanity and what's the most important rock and roll.

Date: July 17, 2007 06:16

Koen Wrote:
> Voja Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Too much Slovenians, Croatians,
> > Macedonians and Mick mentioned Romanians also.
>
> What's wrong with too much Slovenians, Croatians,
> Macedonians ? :-\

I don't think that is what Voja had in mind.He just made a mistake because English is not his native tongue.We are all allowed to make such mistakes even if they sometimes lead to misundertsandings like this one.I guess Voja only wanted to emphasize the fact that there had been a lot of people from neighbour countries at the show.And I am sure happy about all of them being here for such a special night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-17 06:19 by stones_serb.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 17, 2007 06:27

stones_serb Wrote:
> Koen Wrote:
> -----
> > Voja Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Too much Slovenians, Croatians,
> > > Macedonians and Mick mentioned Romanians
> also.
> >
> > What's wrong with too much Slovenians,
> Croatians,
> > Macedonians ? :-\
>
>
> I don't think that is what Voja had in mind.He
> just made a mistake because English is not his
> native tongue.We are all allowed to make such
> mistakes even if they sometimes lead to
> misundertsandings like this one.I guess Voja only
> wanted to emphasize the fact that there had been a
> lot of people from neighbour countries at the
> show.And I am sure happy about all of them being
> here for such a special night.

Good to hear there are positive sounds from that part of Europe - a concert like this probably wasn't possible a few years ago. Glad you all enjoyed it. smiling smiley

And apologies for misinterpreting Voja.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 17, 2007 09:09

mickijaggeroo Wrote:
> Dobril and Lorenz, where you guys at the same
> concert??

Lol, I'm glad everyone enjoyed it so much - so did I.
But there were indeed some major @#$%& ups, I don't want to be too negative, but still.

Date: July 17, 2007 09:26

little queenie Wrote:
> best satisfaction i have heard since chicago '05
> and san diego '05. too bad there are no video
> screens so those of us up front can actually see
> the B stage...

And it had an interesting start! Not the riff, but the Em chord - wondered for a few seconds if it is a new song that I don't know yet, lol!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 17, 2007 09:34

Lorenz Wrote:
He once said that it is his fingers that
> remember how to play the songs - these days his
> fingers sometimes forget. The intro to Brown Sugar
> was a complete trainwreck.(can't wait for a
> bootleg...) It took Keith about 1 min, then he got
> into it, though...

Date: July 17, 2007 09:37

Can't watch youtube here - how does it sound? Hope not too bad

Date: July 17, 2007 09:37

Thanks for the review, Lorenz!

Take a look at all those mobile phones...smiling smiley

Date: July 17, 2007 09:43

Can anyone (from there) explain the political dimension of this and
the Budva show? Young people from a "difficult" part of Europe come
together to enjoy life - that´s great news.

Posted by: fotorocker ()
Date: July 17, 2007 11:09

I would like to share my blog post about the concert in Belgrade...

i work as a photographer, but also post a blog about music photography.... here is the link

[fotorocker.blogspot.com]

The text is about my experience in taking pictures of the Stones.

Enjoy!

M.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: July 17, 2007 11:16

arizojp Wrote:
> [m1.freeshare.us]
> eeshare.us/158fs980056.jpg

Good to see that Keith looks much better now (and I don't mean the lacking moustache).
Hope his playing also got better.

Posted by: salar ()
Date: July 17, 2007 11:48

Tell me... Sister M... Wrote:
> Keith looks fantastic ! (for the first time this
> year i think)

100 % agreed....his whole face expression is back to life IMO...really good to see..

Date: July 17, 2007 13:37

Lorenz Wrote:
> mickijaggeroo Wrote:
> -----
> > Dobril and Lorenz, where you guys at the same
> > concert??
>
> Lol, I'm glad everyone enjoyed it so much - so did
> I.
> But there were indeed some major @#$%& ups, I
> don't want to be too negative, but still.

Yes there were a couple of mistakes but they really didn't affect the show.I have seen a lot of great shows of other artists over the last five years and none of them even comes close to what happened in Belgrade last Saturday.It was otherworldly.Even my first Stones concert can't compare to the one that took place in Belgrade.

Posted by: vedran ()
Date: July 17, 2007 15:17

stones_serb Wrote:
> I don't think that is what Voja had in mind.He
> just made a mistake because English is not his
> native tongue.We are all allowed to make such
> mistakes even if they sometimes lead to
> misundertsandings like this one.I guess Voja only
> wanted to emphasize the fact that there had been a
> lot of people from neighbour countries at the
> show.And I am sure happy about all of them being
> here for such a special night.

I agree. I've been corresponding Voja for quite some time and he's a good bloke smiling smiley Perhaps "many" would have been a better word than "too much" winking smiley But who cares. No offense taken.

Vedran,
A stupid Croat who wasn't in Belgrade winking smiley

Posted by: J@yk3s ()
Date: July 17, 2007 17:46

can anyone tell me how to add pics PLS THX

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 17, 2007 18:51

To add pictures here :
put them on the net (on a server or photobucket) then put the URL of the photos between

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1514
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home