Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Rome show reports
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 7, 2007 06:00

to be honest, after song number 11, paint it black not withstanding, the show is all but over, i know i will be bashed for this but its true, i mean this cookie cutter second half of the show has to stop one of these days

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 7, 2007 06:11

Yeah it's too bad they've dropped playing It's All Over Now, Respectable or Get Off Of My Cloud on the b-stage.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: July 7, 2007 06:13

melillo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> to be honest, after song number 11, paint it black
> not withstanding, the show is all but over, i know
> i will be bashed for this but its true, i mean
> this cookie cutter second half of the show has to
> stop one of these days

I agree to some degree but you have to understand not everyone at the show has seen multiple shows and reads the setlists like we do for every show.
For the casual fan it is just a bunch of great songs- not repetetive songs.

No need for an overhaul- they could make some simple changes to please both first timers and repeat customers.

-Move some warhorses up the the first half so you get some surprises in the second half.
-Instead of Miss You, do Hot Stuff, Fool To Cry or Crazy Mama sometimes.
-Instead of Sympathy all the time rotate it with Gimmme Shelter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-07 06:15 by FrankM.

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: July 7, 2007 07:07

FrankM Wrote:
> melillo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > to be honest, after song number 11, paint it
> black
> > not withstanding, the show is all but over, i
> know
> > i will be bashed for this but its true, i mean
> > this cookie cutter second half of the show has
> to
> > stop one of these days
>
> I agree to some degree but you have to understand
> not everyone at the show has seen multiple shows
> and reads the setlists like we do for every show.
> For the casual fan it is just a bunch of great
> songs- not repetetive songs.
>

Agree 100%. I could think of a dozen different variations on the set list, even just focusing on the stuff that's currently being played on this tour. Still, I bet there will be folks not happy with it. You have to dig this is a stadium show: you get families and casual fans and everyday people in. If they wouldn't stick to the typical stuff people would go mad at them. Don't get me wrong, I dream of a set list full R&B-covers, or just 76-05 stuff, or whatever ... But they have a duty to fullfill in Stadiums I'm afraid.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 7, 2007 10:32

Handova Wrote:
But they have a duty to fullfill in Stadiums I'm afraid.

Sole and good report on newspapers I've picked up so far. Fullfill stadium has not been done apparently.

[www.ilmessaggero.it]

Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: July 7, 2007 10:38

Two minutes video report (TG5) :

[www.video.mediaset.it]

Date: July 7, 2007 10:59

phd Wrote:
> Handova Wrote:
> -----
> But they have a duty to fullfill in Stadiums I'm
> afraid.
>
>
> Sole and good report on newspapers I've picked up
> so far. Fullfill stadium has not been done
> apparently.
>
> [www.ilmessaggero.it]
> z=HOME_SPETTACOLO

Wow that really tested my Italian which I haven't studied since high school. Was it a good review from that paper? I could only make out a few things here and there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-07 11:01 by FrankM.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 7, 2007 11:01

>> suppse the local security people had listend to with ssssoul. People from the back stared rushig forwards,
and that's petty cary when you're in Row 2, an suddenly there are 100 people trying to take your place. <<

hey: don't blame me! (and when you do, remember my name is TWO words, please & thank you!)
my thread was about people in the front row having the right to go up to the barrier,
not a request for total chaos. sorry it was scary and real happy it was a beautiful show

Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: July 7, 2007 11:06

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: July 7, 2007 11:11

"phd Wrote:
> Handova Wrote:
> -----
> But they have a duty to fullfill in Stadiums I'm
> afraid.
>
>
> Sole and good report on newspapers I've picked up
> so far. Fullfill stadium has not been done
> apparently.
>
> [www.ilmessaggero.it]
> z=HOME_SPETTACOLO

Wow that really tested my Italian which I haven't studied since high school. Was it a good review from that paper? I could only make out a few things here and there."

The review didn't mention any spectacular about the show - but commenting on Keith's artirithis and the limits to his guitar playing.....

Date: July 7, 2007 11:16

Thanks for the info bumbum. The arthritis is going to dog him for the rest of his career unfortunately. From what I've read throughout this thread it seems that it was full to about 75 percent capacity considering the stage configuration they were using.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-07 11:35 by FrankM.

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: July 7, 2007 11:24

only stones Wrote:
> open-g Wrote:
> -----
> > >>Max, the guy of the banner "after Elvis only
> > Keith" and "Alla faccia di chi ci vuole male"<<
> >
> > I'm sure I've seen a pic before, but can
> someone
> > post it or point to it?
>
> Some other photos on this web:
> [it.geocities.com]
> and on dvd" before they make me run"(milan 2 cam
> 2006 - 3 dvd)
> GRANDE MAX! SICI

ammazzza che BELLOOOOOOO

Date: July 7, 2007 11:53

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> suppse the local security people had listend to
> with ssssoul. People from the back stared rushig
> forwards,
> and that's petty cary when you're in Row 2, an
> suddenly there are 100 people trying to take your
> place. <<
>
> hey: don't blame me! (and when you do, remember
> my name is TWO words, please & thank you!)
> my thread was about people in the front row having
> the right to go up to the barrier,
> not a request for total chaos. sorry it was scary
> and real happy it was a beautiful show

hey cara !!! you almost got me in a fight too :-) when keith started "happy" i got so estatic that i stood up on my chair (i was really drunk so THAT was pretty dangerous) and these girls behind me immediately started to pull on my clothes to make me get back down (i dunno, they liked "mick" so i don't understand what their problem was ;-) i didn't really feel like getting down at that particular moment, so ahem, we had a few words ;-) well okay, somewhat culpa mea i think i was feelin a little too rowdy...anyway it was okay, just wanted to let you know that i delivered keith all those bacioni from you too !! :-)

Posted by: moorow ()
Date: July 7, 2007 11:57

I heard Max on the phone yesterday and he was completely out of his head. He was so Happy about meeting Keith and the band smiling smiley ....
This is what he deserved after all these years following the band from the first row at almost every concert, holding his flags and banners, and wearing his fantastic t-shirts "After Elvis Only Keith".
A big hug to Max and to all the guys who were there with the band.
Moorow

ps: Max said his wrist bracelet is better than the Keith one's smiling smiley

Date: July 7, 2007 12:21

about the security, yeah it was really non-existent ;-) I stayed too long in the vineria drinkin (cheaply) before the show, so i came in the door late - anyway just in time to hear BANG START ME UP - hahahaaaaaaaaaaa all those discussions about section B section C bla bla bla bla went right out the window, it was this completely joyous mob scene, i don't think i could have found my real seat even if i tried - anyway i think i ended up closer than i was supposed be (because i actually did try asking people, but no one had a clue where they were anyway (uh, probably because they weren't supposed to be there ;-)

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 7, 2007 12:35

FrankM Wrote:
> Thanks for the info bumbum. The arthritis is going
> to dog him for the rest of his career
> unfortunately. From what I've read throughout this
> thread it seems that it was full to about 75
> percent capacity considering the stage
> configuration they were using.

It seems I have to go back to school, italian anyway. Lucky for me, Arizojp restablishes things in the right place.

Posted by: gstone ()
Date: July 7, 2007 12:41

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> suppse the local security people had listend to
> with ssssoul. People from the back stared rushig
> forwards,
> and that's petty cary when you're in Row 2, an
> suddenly there are 100 people trying to take your
> place. <<
>
> hey: don't blame me! (and when you do, remember
> my name is TWO words, please & thank you!)
> my thread was about people in the front row having
> the right to go up to the barrier,
> not a request for total chaos. sorry it was scary
> and real happy it was a beautiful show

Ah, the remark "they must have listned to....." was a joke, not an attempt toblame you. Sorry for the misspelling of your nick. This keyboard is full of wine, and does nottake orders from ANYONE. At least not from my fingers.

I noticed in the first review here on the board that @the bootleg sellers rolled in their t-shirts@. Not correct. 'It was official Stones stuff. But outside the Olympic parkone could buy black t-shirts with te tongue logo for nxt tonothing. I've scrolled the merchandice pages o RS.com, and found the t/shirts sold by the merchandicin people outside the stadium, but still inside the park. We must not give the Italians a bad rputation baed on incorrect information. Let's stick to reality. In this ase - with the lame security, the chainsmoking laszy men, who did not lift a finger, reality is more than enough. I hink the local pomotor has to change his secuity crew. These men contributedto creating dangerous situations.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 7, 2007 12:44

Sounds like a wild R&R party...wich is good!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 7, 2007 12:53

>> just wanted to let you know that i delivered keith all those bacioni from you too !! :-) <<

smile smile smile: thanks my dear! i knew you'd come through :E

Date: July 7, 2007 12:58

phd Wrote:
> FrankM Wrote:
> -----
> > Thanks for the info bumbum. The arthritis is
> going
> > to dog him for the rest of his career
> > unfortunately. From what I've read throughout
> this
> > thread it seems that it was full to about 75
> > percent capacity considering the stage
> > configuration they were using.
>
>
> It seems I have to go back to school, italian
> anyway. Lucky for me, Arizojp restablishes things
> in the right place.

Here's the sentence with a little help from my translation software -

"Gli acciacchi da artrite hanno invece condizionato Keith Richards, ma a volte il tempo non รจ galantuomo."

Instead, arthritis pain had an influence on Keith Richards, but sometimes, time is no gentleman.

Well, i know it's not a perfect english translation either, but anyway don't worry about your italian, it's a difficult language ! I've lived here for 10 years and my italian is far from perfect (i'm pretty good with all the parolacce though ;-)

Date: July 7, 2007 12:59

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> just wanted to let you know that i delivered
> keith all those bacioni from you too !! :-) <<
>
> smile smile smile: thanks my dear! i knew you'd
> come through :E

keeeeeeefff weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee luvvvvvvvv yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !! winking smiley

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: July 7, 2007 13:14

just a quick note from the internet cafe in rome, before i catch the train to make my way to budva...

great show, keith was fine!! the crowd was crazy - each side of the stadium make warcries from the nosebleed seats before they decended and formed an FOS section. luckily the security pushed the back enough so i could reposition and get to the front rail during the 2nd rush forward! i wanted to experience the italian crowd and it was great.

ronnie was on fire! i have never heard him play such a solo for CYHMK (compared to Licks).

paulywaul, what happened to you? i thought we had plans!?

i cannot wait for budva!

Date: July 7, 2007 13:17

> stick to reality. In this ase - with the lame
> security, the chainsmoking laszy men, who did not
> lift a finger, reality is more than enough. I hink
> the local pomotor has to change his secuity crew.
> These men contributedto creating dangerous
> situations.

hey baby ! we aren't lazy, we're cool, just sorta take it as it comes... we sure do smoke a lot though winking smiley i have dual citizenship so i'm taking the liberty to speak for the (us) italians - sorry that you felt in a threating situation, that isn't much fun, really sorry that happened to you. maybe you didn't drink enough wine before the show ? :-) i dunno, i actually had no idea what was going on there, plus this cute little couple standing in front of me kept turning around and feeding me whiskey out of a plastic bottle, so that definitely didn't help ;-) i have no comments to report about the way anyone sang or played or anything, i just can't say, it just looked and sounded all perfect to me smiling smiley

Date: July 7, 2007 13:25

little queenie Wrote:
> just a quick note from the internet cafe in rome,
> before i catch the train to make my way to
> budva...
>
> great show, keith was fine!! the crowd was crazy -
> each side of the stadium make warcries from the
> nosebleed seats before they decended and formed an
> FOS section. luckily the security pushed the back
> enough so i could reposition and get to the front
> rail during the 2nd rush forward! i wanted to
> experience the italian crowd and it was great.
>
> ronnie was on fire! i have never heard him play
> such a solo for CYHMK (compared to Licks).
>
> paulywaul, what happened to you? i thought we had
> plans!?
>
> i cannot wait for budva!

hi little queenie, i'm sorry i didn't bump into you, at the cover band show or last night (i would have recognized you from your photo with the stones i think smiling smiley anyway, AMAZING SHOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 7, 2007 13:59

Mixed feelings in Rome last night

i was "seated" row five keith side. Until about 9 when a roar came from behind and the pitch was invaded. i got up a reach the second row together with nice guys i've met in milan last year (one of them got a charlie stick at the end!)
First the security tried to clean back the area then gave up.

Just incredible to think of a rs show with people seated... What goes in the mind of certain promoters god only knows...

Show started at 9:30 with a good version of the usual SMU
Then from song 2 to 6 where i hope to get something "different different" i got the usual YGMR RJ and RT
SSC and RO were the "cookies" for me but all this portion of the show was more characterized for me by the "Keith's out of place out of tune licks"
Nothing serious or even noticeable by most people. Still he had bad timing for the solo on YGMR, meshed up RJ intro, did some "strange" things on SSC and exspecially rocks off.
Nothing outrageous and i must say SSC was great while i remember a better version of RO in paris bercy 2003.
All this initial rocking part was sustained by a great Ronnie who looked and sounded very focused.

After last night I think I have "my theory" on Keith (which has nothing to do with brain damages or health problems, as the rest of the show showed) but i am not to bore you here and now with it.

RT was good for the audience but a little boring for me. Sounds still so 89. While the rest of the show is more about guitars.

On song 7 Keith came on stage, i mean really the rhythm guitar of the rolling stones showed up. Sorry for the delay i'm here....dadadada dadada
someone asked and the answer is: yes he nailed it. The whole band nailed it. An 11 minutes jam at the end of which Ronnie shined with his solo.
To think that the 2003 version got printed on cd and dvd... His solo on CTHMK is on a completely different planet from then
highlight

i'll go crazy is fun but nothing special for me, good for a bit more of ass shaking

then TD always giving the good vibes to me. Keith did not drive me to tears still he did a pretty good job with his trademark licks

keith set was stunning. I must say i am one of those who's not fond of the "Keith without guitar" but, hey man and woman, i got shivers as he delivered a perfect, warm, passionate and moving version of YGTS. Bouncing around a solid Ronnie.
Highlight

Then Happy came. My first thought was..oh no not that again...
Then the riff came right into my face and he delivered it singing good and also riffing thru most of the song
Highlight

Miss you was a crowd teaser. Drove my butt to shake some more. Nothing more
Iorr was nothing special filled with Keith "awkward licking"

Satisfaction came with an outstanding "kalashnikov" intro by keith. Very good rocking hard version up until the end where they got lost. Still i like it better than the previous "horns" version
Almost highlight

The next 2 songs where the real surprises for me. HTW and SFTD "modern arrangements" have bored me big time. Last night though they were both highlights of the show thanks to the great work of keith. Exspecially on Sympathy's first solo which is one of the best i've heard in years. The great sound helped to make it clear crisp edgy and mean.
Just get rid of those sampled percussions and have ronnie weave from the beginning...
highlight

As Keith came forward and blast the intro to PIB right into my face and ears (so crisp i made a step back) i was in tears
That was awesome. The whole song was
highlight

Then came JJF with Keith messing up the opening chords and BS which were average but have the crowd going nuts again.

----

Milan last year suffered from a very bad sound (in the FOS area). Mick was the highlight of the band then. Last night, IMHO he was average and in the end looked very tired even if he has not run as much. Ronnie has become a pillar of this society of extraordinary men. Keith wake up late but then made me happy. Charlie..you know how he was...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-07 14:20 by maumau.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 7, 2007 14:02

Thank ya mau mau - hope to get to hear that outstanding "kalashnikov" intro
at Satisfaction.... Great & critical review!!!!!!!!!

Date: July 7, 2007 14:12

one very cool thing that i vaguely remember after the show...i was wandering around near the stadium with 2 gallant Dutch guys that i met - we were looking for a taxi or bus or anything to go back into the center and ya know, drink a few beers (since we ahem apparently did not have enough to drink beforehand). we couldn't find any transportation, so we just decided to stop in a bar near piazza mancini and drink there for a while and have something to eat. it just looked like a normal little pub, and then out of the blue - without saying a word - the bartender gets out his cd of Exile and turns it up ... LOUD :-))) god, a bar like that is a rare find here - i have to go back there sometime, i hope i can find the place again !!!!!!!!!!

ps. what happened to you Dutch guys ?? :-) you simply disappeared in a taxi at some point, that i was supposed to also be in :-) oh well, sorry, we were all pretty confused at that point !! see ya in london anyway ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-07 14:29 by loochie.

Date: July 7, 2007 14:25

thank you maumau, what a great review -
ya YGTS was bellisssima !

Date: July 7, 2007 14:33

bv or anyone, do you have any idea if the stones will be in rome over the weekend ?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 7, 2007 15:30

gstone wrote:

Yeah, Ive ever been scared at a Stones oncert before, but this crowd freaked me out. FOS standing is definitely the best thing. I've been to mot of the Euro shows this summer, ad FOS s theonly thing that works.Gng to lo off now.
We have a briliat show to celbrate - and the best thing is: KEITH was SO GOD. If peope try to tell you otherwise, they are not telling the truth. He even sang well, and rmembere what e has learnedabout microphone technique. And Paint it Black, WOW! There's nothing wrong with or Keith. Except that he seems to be on fire on every freakin how now... Now I HAVE SOME FRINDS AND SOME WINE WAITNG> Good night y'all!

Some of this creative spelling (KEITH was SO GOD)leads me to believe that gstone got into Keith's stash! winking smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home