Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Madrid show reports and comments
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 29, 2007 12:52

I don't understand Spanish language, but seems that the press loved it.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: June 29, 2007 14:12

They can't keep changing the set list just for you, they have to think about all those people who only go when they are in their area. Give them a break!

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: June 29, 2007 14:16

Hanns Rainsch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The setlist is not only a bore, it's a shame,
> too.
> I really consider not to go to Hamburg if they
> will continue to play such unexciting oldie
> shows.
> "Oldies but goldies" - I could puke.

They can't keep changing the set list just for you, they have to think of evryone who only goes to a gig when it's near them. most people don't follow the Stones to every single gig. Give them a break!

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: June 29, 2007 14:26

Well after 14 ABB shows in America this was my first show in Europe since my first ever at Knebworth in 1976. I had front row in section 214 and it was awesome. The show took off immediately and rocked. Apart from a power crazy security guy who kept running up and down snarling and almost ruined Sway for me! Mick really got the crowd going on the B stage with Satisfaction and, yes, Keith did have a couple of worrying moments but Ronnie stepped in. all in all it was a great show and I am so happy to have once again seen the greatest rock and roll band in the world. Hoping for Can You hear me knocking or Midnight Rambler in El Ejido for my last show of the tour. And Lisa, Lisa, Lisa you are the sexiest woman alive, night time is the right time oh yeah.

Great to meet Paulywaul, Beast, Susanne, Isabella and others from this board and stonesfrk I am so happy you got front row on the rail for your last show even though you are sunburnt and have sore legs<1 Rock on Boys! Sarah, aka Sparkly Top

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: June 29, 2007 14:30

Great review Sarah and it was so nice to hear good news for Stonefrk!!

Enjoy!

Date: June 29, 2007 14:30

Nice one sarahunwin.....any photos from your vantage point?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 29, 2007 14:32

Ah - good to hear Stonesfrk made it to front row on the rail.
best wishes.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: June 29, 2007 14:54

Excellent to hear that a ragged but still-rockin' stonesfrk made it to Madrid in one piece...and scored front row to boot!

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: June 29, 2007 14:55

...but the reports on Keith are less than encouraging...

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 29, 2007 15:44

Hanns Rainsch Wrote:
> The setlist is not only a bore, it's a shame,
> too.
> I really consider not to go to Hamburg if they
> will continue to play such unexciting oldie
> shows ...

"I'm free to do what I want any old time ..."

Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: June 29, 2007 15:57

There is another thread about this, but I just wanted to add this here:

[www.elpais.com]

Two workers died and two others were injured while dismantling the stage in Madrid.

Date: June 29, 2007 16:23

Sorry no photos, too busy dancing!

Date: June 29, 2007 17:07

What ever happened to "Hey, hey, hey now" in Sway?

Date: June 29, 2007 19:45

a video report here: [www.lavanguardia.es]

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: June 29, 2007 22:26

Just arrived home from Madrid with the news two men died during the process to dismantel the stage. But I have tons of videos and pictures and will read this thread.
All can I say after the show, 100 % faces of people very happy and smiling , what a great show amigo!

Later more,

Carlitos
Tenerife

I would love to say I had lunch with BV, Muchísimas gracias amigo, we have a great person and a great man infront our IORR. Later I´ll write you privately, many thanks during the meal and that moment at FOS area.

Posted by: bartfrombrussels ()
Date: June 29, 2007 23:00

YCAGWYW, don't know if it works as well as MR or CYHMK?

bartfrombrussels
Senior Food Critic IORR

?Remember Vilvoorde?
94 concerts & counting

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: June 29, 2007 23:15

....... keith has been brian jones for many years now....... ya all should be use to it...

Posted by: Jon Lasa ()
Date: June 30, 2007 04:05

THE ROLLING STONES, Vicente Calderón, Madrid.

Hi all.

Madrid, 30º C at 18:30 in the shadow when doors were opened. After several hours of standing under the sun, my friend Ivan and me run to the front side and, surprise, there was FOS area for those who arrive early. FOS areas were packed soon, but at least, we were at about 12 meters from the stage, Keith´s side. It´s not a bad record, 400kms. from Bilbao and we will stand next to the boys, lovely.
The second surprise came soon, great Stones IORRean fans from Vienna were in front of us, Ronnie´s side, close to the barrier of the catwalk. How could I recognise them?, well, I think the sign they have is quite eloquent: “The Stones are Rock´n´Roll and Vienna likes it”. Best wishes for them and enjoy the rest of the Tour, you lucky girls!
At 19:40, firs warm-up act, Loquillo & The Troglodytes, from Barcelona. Jose María Sanz (well-known as Loquillo = woody woodpecker famous cartoon) is a good old rocker who´s been writing and singing rock and roll in Spanish for the last thirty years, and he has done even some poetry and drama. Last month he warmed up the Who in Bilbao and this time has been The Rolling Stones, a well deserved prize for him. And people in the Vicente Calderon stadium enjoyed his set.
The second group was Jet. The Australians not were in their best form but, their second theme “Are you gonna be my girl”, made the people on the pitch sing and dance and frontman, Nic Cester, tried to warm the audience indeed, jumping, screaming, sitting on the edge of the stage as he was playing the guitar and smiling frecuently. I bet you drummer Chris Cester, lost several kilograms last night due to his killer playing style.
All in all the stadium was nearly full packed at 22:15. Last minutes before the show nobody can fall feeling nervous. Security people distributed plastic-glasses of water, as it was really hot in the FOS area and the first oe-oe-oe-oe could be listened. Suddenly, lights were off, the big screen turns on and the fiesta starts the whole stadium up.
Start me up broke through the sky of Madrid loud, clear and full of energy. I could clearly see Keith feeling comfortably and smiling. I feel like it´s going to be a high-level show. No need to mention it, people downstairs are going really nuts. As soon as the first song was finished, everybody in the house began chanting oe-oe-oe-oe, the boyz are smiling, they could hardly go into Let´s Spend the Night Together as the audience is singing and party is going on. Afterwards, Mick took off his jacket and addressed to the public in Spanish, “"Siento haber tardado en venir. Estamos muy contentos de estar aquí finalmente" (sorry for the delay. We are very happy to be here in the end). Again oe-oe-oe-oe-oe and Mick working the crowd and helped by Ronnie.
The third one was She´s so cold, I think it´s a good choice for this part of the set, although Madrid show was an A Bigger Bang European 2007 Tour show with no songs from A Bigger Bang and, actually, I missed Rough Justice because it rocks, but, they are so many good songs in forty five years to fill a lovely night that a lot of them must be left. All down the line was another public beloved song and it was not less with Monkey Man, one of the highlights of the night, the whole theme was superb and Charlie finished it in a very energetic way.
With no doubt this was the best part of the show, and then they went into a resplendent cover of You Can´t Always Get What You Want, first time this year, sang by Mick and several thousand people more! Then Sway, no very well song by the vast majority of the people but, hand downs, a lovely song, and Keith playing sitting down just ahead of Charlie´s drums-kit. Next one was Ray Charles´ Night Time, and Lisa and Mick performed a lovely dancing in the middle of the stage that left everybody full delighted; nice Lisa, wonderful voice, big ovation. After the song, Mick prayed Lisa´s sexy green dress: “Qué vestido tan bonito Lisa, ¿te lo has comprado en el rastro?" (Nice dress, Lisa, have you bought it in the rastro? = the popular street market in Madrid).
And to full this great part of the set list, nothing better than Tumbling Dice. Great artists are capable of writing songs that have their own character and Tumbling Dice is that kind of perfect song that always make people feel happy.
Later it came the break form Mick, band introductions and warmer welcomes were for Lisa and Bobby Keys. Then was Mr. Wood´s time and Ronnie easily found the public´s feedback, the last singing more oe-s and the first one dancing and laughing. All in all, he played very well all night long. Of course, Charlie, as sober as always, made his salute beating his drums. Charlie, his playing was as steady as a rock. Then was Keith´s turn and of course, everybody started singing more and more oe-s, while he thanked “muchas gracias” while a true, wide smile appears on his face.
Great, Keith did You Got the Silver with no guitar, Ronnie on steel and Keith dancing and rumbling around. Then it came the funny moment of the night, when Keith bent down on his knees and when he tried to stand again, Mr. Richards nearly dropped; people shouted, we loved you Keith, and he smiled like a child. Next song is ready to be introduced by Keith, when some fans asked for Happy, so did I. And, yes, in spite of some lacks, Keith makes Happy as Happy makes the fans even happier.
The next part of the concert started with several chords played by Chuck, Darryl maked the bass sound and Mick took a guitar: Miss You is on the air and moving towards the B-stage. Later, IORR and basically, Satisfaction, set the stadium completely on fire and so did Honky Tonk Women coming back to the main stage. Ready for the last rush, a lot of us started shouting whoo-whoo just before the stage turned in red and Mick went upstairs in order to play his particular devilish performance of Sympathy for the Devil. By the way, Keith increased his myth and was missed for a while during the song. And from red lights and fire, the easily recognized riff of Paint in Black took us to a nigh and mysterious atmosphere and Keith recovered from the shadows. Last song was a rocking Jumping Jack Flash with Keith taking the centre of the stage playing powerful and the encore came with Brown Sugar, with fire-works and a go-and-back sprint from Mick all along the catwalk in the end of the show. Indeed, Mick has no need to do this to prove he is the best one, but just for those who were in doubt.
When the lights are on after the show, you can see people´s faces, widely opened eyes, huge smiles, greetings each other. They are just the greatest ones. Last year cancellation and now, here they are, 25 years after their first show in the same stadium, well remembered by a very hard storm. I know, it´s only r&r, but I love it.

Date: June 30, 2007 04:57

Thanks for the great report, Jon.

you've seen it better but...
Paint it Black

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: June 30, 2007 05:03

Yep. Thanks Jon

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 30, 2007 06:09

kahoosier Wrote:
> Man I cannot wait to get to Europe...it has been
> hard ditting here in Hawaii, 2 more weeks to go
> before I join the Gypsy Caravan!
>
> But seeing that photo of Gaza with Charlie, wow,
> and then sitting at work and getting first a Text
> Mssge then phone call...BEAST is at a club looking
> right at MJ!
>
> Come one you guys, you are having all the fun,
> save some for me!! PLEASE!!

You were being talked about in glowing terms, Dr Steve. We all look forward to seeing you this summer!

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: June 30, 2007 06:18

So glad StoneFRK made it in and to the front! Way to go Man! Don't let those A@$ HO#*S ruin it all for you man! That is great!
Fred Hardin
Pleased to meet you........

Posted by: keith76 ()
Date: June 30, 2007 06:27

you fans are so lucky in europe,this may really be the last time--------seen them 10 times but 11 sounds so much better,will they be back in the usa

Date: June 30, 2007 06:50

keith76 Wrote:
> you fans are so lucky in europe,this may really be
> the last time--------seen them 10 times but 11
> sounds so much better,will they be back in the usa

nope

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 30, 2007 08:32

thanks for all those special details, Jon! good read

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: June 30, 2007 08:56

Look at the picture of the meet&greet in Madrid and than look at this picture from vilvoorde:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-30 09:02 by Harm.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: June 30, 2007 23:35

Hi all. Finally back home after a trip to Madrid. Some people has stated before that they have mixed feelings about the Madrid gig, and I share that. It was a sometimes great, sometimes not-so-great show... As the journalist from El Pais, the main newspaper here in Spain, wrote the next day, the show had very great moments and some moments where all you could think was "my god, how old has become grandpa in the last year"...

The setlist: despite some people complaining about it, well, I must admit it was a pleasure for me seeing them perform She's So Cold, All Down The Line and Sway, all of them first-timers for me. I was looking for a surprise, but I honestly didn't expect for three of them, as the Stones here in Spain usually tend to do greatest-hits shows. BUT... I honestly find somewhat sad that 1) They finally managed to do a BIGGER BANG tour show with a grand total of songs from the ABB album of NONE. And 2) the newest song in the setlist was.... START ME UP... Amazing or what? The newest song in the setlist is 26 years old... But I repeat, after seeing All Down The Line for the first time live, I almost forgive them about those facts 1) and 2).

Mick and Charlie were as consistent in their performances as they always are, so it's not great news that they both work hard and deliver the goods as a Rolling Stone is supposed to do. Mick was amazing as always, he ran to the midfield during the encore Brown Sugar in a way that everybody in the audience older that fifteen would have spitted their lungs out of their body in case somebody would have the guts to run those seventy meters after two hours of dancing and singing as he did. HATS OFF TO MICK!!!

Ronnie deserves another HATS OFF to RONNIE... After being out of the wagon for some time he has become THE guitarist of the band, as hard as it sounds. He is not the soloist he was in the seventies, but he did some good solos and in my humble opinion he carried the show guitar-wise. My god, he even taught the chords of a few songs to Keith, who was noodling with his guitar more than the usual. Great performances on All Down The Line, You Got The Silver, even Sway and YCAGWYW had som good solos from him... He carried Brown Sugar and he did what he could to save some others... (On a side point, and dedicated to our dear Ssssoul, he showed a good collections of guitars that were new to me, like a SG Special, and a weird shaped guitar that looked something like a National or Versoul or something rare...). First hour: 80% playing-20% posing and laughing. Second (warhorses) half: Two thirds playing, one third posing. Woody has always been MY BELOVED Woody.

And finally Keith, the man himself, my rock'n'roll hero, the man that made me love this music, as well as blues and R&B, and that made me try to play something on guitar, and the man whose photos I download, and... Well, MY Keith... I honestly feel very sad after attending this gig. He seemed to me like somewhat out of this world (not that he was on earth on a good part of the seventies) but not like he was coked up or stoned or drunk... He simply seemed old... As the journalist wrote, grandpa suddenly has become old... And maybe he was a little drunk, too. The first hour of the show he was almost out of stage, at least to my ears, with Ronnie very busy covering his ass while he was noodling and trying to remember how She's So Cold was going (not that it is a song with 328 chord changes...) He recovered to play a great rockin' All Down The Line and the best ever version I've heard of Monkey Man. He did an average YCAGWYW and lost some of the plot on Sway. You Got The Silver: he did a good performance vocal-wise, but almost fell back on his bottom while going to where Woody was. When the song finished, Ronnie joked as he was to kick Keith with his guitar, as saying "the man is doing like a little kid". I almost prefer not to remember how sad "Happy" was, I know Keith never has been good remembering the lyrics to HIS TRADEMARK SONG, but he almost didn't play, missed the cue and clearly did signs to the rest of the band to end the song as quickly as possible. Honky Tonk Women also featured Keith almost falling out of the stage (thank god Darryl was near in case the man was too near the edge) and one of the most awful solos I've ever witnessed in a top act, he didn't end it, even, and all that after missing the intro to this song (how the hell can a guitarist noodle with the intro to HTW????). SFTD featured the now usual three-key-attempt-poor solo of nowadays. And then, some kind of a miracle happened: he did two great, great, @#$%& great Paint It Black (always loved by the spanish crowd, by the way) and JJF. While playing JJF, I went back to remember why Keith is the one, the best, the riffmaster, the king of cool: he was playing his ass off, smashing his black Custom Tele and made us remember again who is the power behind this band, that even nowadays, and after an not-too-great performance (or even near to poor and sad), he can deliver the goods although it's only for one song, but, hey, man, what a song, the greatest rock'n'roll single ever: JJF. (The encore Brown Sugar had again Ronnie carrying the weight of the song...)

I felt somewhat sad what I had witnessed: the Stones can deliver a good or great show, but after seeing Keith, I'm pretty sure that I never will see them live again, at least here in Spain... They are a great band, and if a guitarist has an off-night, the other will cover him (after all, the ancient art of weaving is a way to hide the mistakes the Tune-Up Twins make, innit??, LOL), but I honestly don't think Keith has the strenght to do another tour. In fact I highly doubt he has the interest in playing guitar as he had... He can be a lonesome bluesman, but I feel he can't carry the weight of a guitar driven rock'n'roll band anymore...

Anyway, I spent a great evening, jumping and dancing through two hours. I managed to meet a norwegian fan (Hi, Arve!), a great, great fan that I hope he enjoyed the show. The crow wasn't as hot as I had experienced in my five spanish gigs before, but maybe it was due to the spanish hardcores being somewhat spaced between four gigs in Spain...

(P.S. I'm not going to do the usual people-left-the-stadium-whith-smiling-faces comparison, because there were too many casual pimps there that would have left the stadium with smiling faces even if it was Christina Aguilera who had performed, such is the magnitude of the pyrotechnics our beloved band uses)

AND, HEY, WHAT A @#$%& GREAT JUMPIN JACK FLASH, MATES: YOU ALL SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: roby ()
Date: July 4, 2007 10:32

HTW : ?!

BS :

Sympathy :

Date: July 4, 2007 14:45

NumberOneStonesFan Wrote:
> erikjjf Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > NumberOneStonesFan Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > open-g Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > > Gazza 's da man
> > > >
> >
> [i2.photobucket.com]
>
> > zancharlie.jpg
> > > >
> > > Too cool! Please give details of the
> encounter.
> >
> > [novogate.com]
>
> Thanks, awesome.

Thanks. That particular encounter was in Lisbon, though. We did get a bit of an encore in Madrid, however. See pages 5 (and following) on the same thread.

Date: July 15, 2007 07:48

okay now I have just learnt how to post photos there will be no stopping me. This is a cool shot of the stage I snuck in and took the afternoon before the show.

[s185.photobucket.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home