Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Warsaw - short travel qide
Posted by: SWojtek ()
Date: June 26, 2007 12:00

Guys,

Warsaw is the only place without the Travel guide info on IORR. I'm not from Warsaw but at least I can recommend a place to eat or stay. Some info may be useful for all comming from abroad.

As a place to eat I can recommend the Sphinx restaurants - the main sponsor of the Stones concert in Warsaw. Food is cheap, good, safe, Stones music in background and now even special Stones menu. Here is their page in English: [www.sphinx.pl] with menu and list of addresses.

Place to stay: IBIS hotels (especially at Ostrobramska street with good prices) or Novotel next to the airport which is very close to the concert area (currently good internet prices) www.accorhotels.com

If you want to use a taxi, please use ONLY so called radio taxi companies (official registered taxi's corporations) for example with short phone number: (+48) 229622. Warsaw habitants can place some more phone numbers here.

Tickets still available here: [www.ticketpro.pl] . Sectors: A (P), B1 and "Trybuna 1" are sold out.

See you guys there.

Re: Warsaw - short travel guide
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 26, 2007 12:37

>> If you want to use a taxi, please use ONLY so called radio taxi companies (official registered taxi's corporations) <<

absolutely, and even so, always PHONE for a taxi. don't use the taxi stands on the streets, at the train stations etc.

>> Sphinx <<

mercy ... well, yes that chain does indeed exist and isn't awful.
it's been a while since i lived in Warsaw but there are lots of interesting places to eat.

>> Sectors: A (P), B1 and "Trybuna 1" are sold out. <<

well ... they may not currently be on sale, but i seriously doubt they're sold out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-26 15:48 by with sssoul.

Re: Warsaw - short travel qide
Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: June 26, 2007 15:42

Thanks SWojtek!
Any info on how to get to the stadium?

RB

Date: June 26, 2007 16:14

RobberBride Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks SWojtek!
> Any info on how to get to the stadium?
>
> RB

I do not live in Warsaw so I’m not familiar with public transport there and that’s why I only mentioned taxi. They are not that expensive.
Maybe some Warsaw habitants may help here. The concert is at the horse track not stadium.
“with sssoul” says Sphinx is not that nice, but I only wanted to recommend the place which I know, is much better (with different menu) then “McDonalds” type of places and does not cost a fortune.
I agree, there is many more places to eat nowadays in Warsaw and If someone knows them, please list them here, give some names and addresses. I will be happy to go there and try it myself .
Of course there is also newly open Hard Rock Café if anyone likes.

Posted by: iFox ()
Date: June 26, 2007 16:19

I've once sent the map and how to get to the venue info but it hasn't appeared by now.

Brno 22.07.07 & Warsaw 25.07.07

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: June 26, 2007 17:03

Does anybody know what area of Warsaw is the best as far as a lot of restaurants, Bars, Clubs, etc that one can walk to? A friend told me to stay close to OLD TOWN, is that good info? Is that where the center of the nightlife is? BTW, that Satay on the Sphinx menu doesn't look too bad, is the food really that bad there?

Date: June 26, 2007 17:18

i didn't mean there's anything wrong with the food the Sphinx chain offers, just that it's not that interesting
(also not especially Polish, obviously). besides, i'm a vegetarian and unless they've radically changed their menu,
they're a mighty meat-oriented kind of place.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 26, 2007 17:24

Hehe - if you click on the Rolling Stones promotion the speaker clearly announces
a Bigger Bank...
[www.sphinx.pl]

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 26, 2007 17:26

open-g Wrote:
> Hehe - if you click on the Rolling Stones
> promotion the speaker clearly announces
> a Bigger Bank...
> [www.sphinx.pl]

hahaha - you are right! And wow, polish does sound very similar to Russian, irght?

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: June 26, 2007 17:34

Old town or close to Old Town in Warsaw is a nice place to stay and it is near the city center. However it is far from the concert venue (the venue is far from the city center so it must be). There is a subway stop (Sluzew) close to the race track and it takes about 15 minutes to get to the city center by subway. Do yourselves a favor and try to find Sluzewiec on google maps. There is everything there and you avoid someone else's perspective on the city.
For someone sth is close while for someone else it is far away, you know what I mean

Date: June 26, 2007 17:34

>> Polish does sound very similar to ... <<

er ... i'll pretend i didn't see that. Polish sounds like Polish. :E

Date: June 26, 2007 18:22

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Does anybody know what area of Warsaw is the best
> as far as a lot of restaurants, Bars, Clubs, etc
> that one can walk to? A friend told me to stay
> close to OLD TOWN, is that good info? Is that
> where the center of the nightlife is? BTW, that
> Satay on the Sphinx menu doesn't look too bad, is
> the food really that bad there?

I don't like an Old Town in Warsaw myself. It's a thing made mostly for tourists. My favourite part of the city is the area between Nowy Swiat street and Marszalkowska Alley. There are some nice restaurants there and among them you'll find this bloody Sphinx. I don't like the place myself, it's just a little bit better than the junk food. The waiters are only male there - that's strange. I think the food is better with a woman touch. ;-)
I always eat at the Polish Stock Exchange new building. At the basement there is really nice and cheap Polish food with the self service. [www.hawelka.pl]

Date: June 26, 2007 18:35

RobberBride Wrote:
> Thanks SWojtek!
> Any info on how to get to the stadium?
>
> RB

Like someone has mentioned, Metro is one way to get there however you need to walk from the station. The good idea is to take the tram lines 4, 33 or 36. The final stop of those lines is Sluzewiec Hippodrome. The name of final stop is Wyscigi (which means races in Polish) so if you take the trams directed to Wyscigi you will get there without any problems. Here's the map of trams and Metro in Warsaw. You will find Wyscigi stop at the bottom of the map.
[www.ztm.waw.pl]

Date: June 27, 2007 10:58

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Satay on the Sphinx menu doesn't look too bad, is
> the food really that bad there?

As you can see it's a matter of taste and individual preferences, that's normal. In my opinion if you like any kind of grilled meat it's one of the place to go.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: June 27, 2007 11:51

Here's map from google how to get to the venue from Central Station (Dworzec Centralny):

[maps.google.com]

And from the airport it's even easier:

[maps.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-27 11:54 by franzk.

Date: June 27, 2007 11:53

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> Polish does sound very similar to ... <<
>
> er ... i'll pretend i didn't see that. Polish
> sounds like Polish. :E

Sorry, I of course know that Poland is not Russia and I didn't want to hurt anyone's national pride. But is the language not of the same family? I might of course be wrong, it just sounds to me as if it was. Btw, did the fab Kaczynski twins not already complain about Sympathy For The Devil or Mick's bi-sexuality grinning smiley ?

Date: June 27, 2007 12:10

yeah, Polish is one of the Slavic languages, so yeah there are similarities to (and differences from) other Slavic languages.
it was charming that at that press conference in Belgium Mick mentioned Basque and Polish
as the Major Linguistic Challenges for this leg of the tour :E

the best Linguistic Moment i ever saw was at one of the Prague shows, when Mick asked in Czech if we wanted to sing along -
he did it pretty reasonable - everyone understood and roared back the right response, but evidently
no one had bothered to warn Mick that in Czech "yes" is "ano" - and when he heard the crowd roaring "aNOOOOO!"
the cat just *wilted* in dismay - "ohh no, what the fvck did i say?!" that was very touching :E

Date: June 27, 2007 12:20

with sssoul Wrote:
> the best Linguistic Moment i ever saw was at one
> of the Prague shows, when Mick asked in Czech if
> we wanted to sing along -
> he did it pretty reasonable - everyone understood
> and roared back the right response, but evidently
> no one had bothered to warn Mick that in Czech
> "yes" is "ano" - and when he heard the crowd
> roaring "aNOOOOO!"
> the cat just *wilted* in dismay - "ohh no, what
> the fvck did i say?!" that was very touching :E

He was very innovative in Austria last time when he said "Guten Abend die Madln, Servas die Buam". That was just incredible, it's something very typical Austrian/Viennese and I have no clue how he found out about that!

Posted by: gstone ()
Date: June 27, 2007 12:24

Funny story! I guess he'll- well Mick - have a few challenges in Hungary and Finland, too. Those languages are in fact related - for some strange reason. And Finnish really is a heavy lesson. A friend of mine from Espoo, not far from Helsinki, says that nobody speaks Finnish unless he's drunk. And people really do DRINK in Finnland.

Date: June 27, 2007 19:01

Thanks for all the info/tips on Warsaw. Interesting reading about Jagger speaking the local tongue at all the different shows. I think he's the only major rocker (compared to others like MACCA, DYLAN, ROBERT PLANT) that really trys to speak some local lingo at each show - good for him, I bet it's a lot of extra work but the man has ALWAYS pushed himself above and beyond so it's no surprise to see/hear him do that. I think it goes back to the French he used on LOVE YOU LIVE from the 1976 tour but he might have started back even earlier on the 1973 tour of Europe (maybe 1970?)but have not heard it on anything live (boots or legit) before 1976. Was he doing it before that '76 European tour? Anyone know?

Date: June 27, 2007 19:04

Mick was speaking French right from the get-go

Date: June 27, 2007 19:07

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Thanks for all the info/tips on Warsaw.
> Interesting reading about Jagger speaking the
> local tongue at all the different shows. I think
> he's the only major rocker (compared to others
> like MACCA, DYLAN, ROBERT PLANT) that really trys
> to speak some local lingo at each show - good for
> him, I bet it's a lot of extra work but the man
> has ALWAYS pushed himself above and beyond so it's
> no surprise to see/hear him do that. I think it
> goes back to the French he used on LOVE YOU LIVE
> from the 1976 tour but he might have started back
> even earlier on the 1973 tour of Europe (maybe
> 1970?)but have not heard it on anything live
> (boots or legit) before 1976. Was he doing it
> before that '76 European tour? Anyone know?

i used to be impressed with the effort was well: then i noticed that it was actually blondie chaplin that was doing the talking.

oh no, wait, that's not what i noticed. i actually saw in nijmegen that he was reading the dutch off the teleprompter! fos does have its drawbacks . . .

*and i'm just like that bird - singing just for you*

Date: June 27, 2007 19:13

Thanks with sssoul and bongster, always being a smart ass - lol. Where are you now? Still in Berlin? Are you following the Stones tour this time or what? AND, why are you learning Deutch ? (did I spell that right?) for school or you opening a club in Berlin ? Fill me in Bongster.....

Date: June 27, 2007 19:16

ja, in berlin at the moment. (and freezing my ass off, at that!) i've got two more stones shows this summer: belgrade and bucharest. (hopefuly B-list cities in name only!) and as for the DeutSch (nope, ya didnt LOL!) i just like the german lifestyle: ya know, misery, thick books, huge mugs of beer, misery, misery.

*and i'm just like that bird - singing just for you*

Date: June 29, 2007 18:49

Hi!
Thanks for the tips. I finally got my tickets for Warsaw today and I wondered if any of you kind polish people could help me with the translation?
My tickets say:
Wejscie: Glowne // Brama: E,F // Sektor : A (P) //Miejsce: stojace

What does all this mean? Is it gate E , sector A , standing? Is it a general standing admission to the sector A (P) or seats? I was just thinking if its standing, I don't need to be there 1600.

Thanks!
See you all there.

Best,
RB

Date: June 29, 2007 19:13

RobberBride Wrote:
> Hi!
> Thanks for the tips. I finally got my tickets for
> Warsaw today and I wondered if any of you kind
> polish people could help me with the translation?
> My tickets say:
> Wejscie: Glowne // Brama: E,F // Sektor : A (P)
> //Miejsce: stojace
>
> What does all this mean? Is it gate E , sector A ,
> standing? Is it a general standing admission to
> the sector A (P) or seats? I was just thinking if
> its standing, I don't need to be there 1600.
>
> Thanks!

It means Entrance: main // Gate: E,F // Sector A (P is for the right side I guess) Places: standing

As far as I know Polish.

Is there any place for the meeting in Warsaw before/after the gig? I'm mainly at keno.org but I'd love to have a drink with guys from iorr :-)
> See you all there.
>
> Best,
> RB

Date: June 29, 2007 19:14

It is main entrance//gate E,F,//FOS Keith's side//standing.

Have fun

Date: June 29, 2007 19:18

>>>>>>>>>>Is there any place for the meeting in Warsaw before/after the gig? I'm mainly at keno.org but I'd love to have a drink with guys from iorr :-)

Not yet, but I'm sure we can come up with something

Date: June 29, 2007 19:19

Great!
Thanks smiling smiley
Don't know of any meeting place, but great if anybody has suggestions.

RB

Date: June 29, 2007 19:36

RobberBride Wrote:
> Great!
> Thanks smiling smiley
> Don't know of any meeting place, but great if
> anybody has suggestions.
>
> RB

My suggestion is Irish Pub at Miodowa street close to Krakowskie Przedmiescie street.
[maps.google.com]
It is close to the Old Town, easy to find. The place is big compared to other places, well known, the stuff is friendly. There are live bands playing there sometimes. Nothing fancy but friendly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-29 19:38 by iFox.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1932
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home